Topic Stats

• 8,271 posts
  • 556 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by YeOldPinPlayer
  • Topic is favorited by 194 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,404 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

PRO COLOR BLOOD (resized).png
PREMIUM BLOOD (resized).png
TWD alternate translite versions (resized).jpg
20190824_093215 (resized).jpg
s-l500 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
11EA187F-CA67-4CBF-A5EF-B666C2D86950 (resized).jpeg
20190817_104818 (resized).jpg
DE9D5CBB-2E3C-4F67-AFAD-9746180AC45E (resized).jpeg
B94615F7-9965-42AF-BADE-6C5BB92F5266 (resized).jpeg
07FB0307-F475-4C6D-A222-92FFA102C92A (resized).jpeg
IMG_6831 (resized).JPG
IMG_6832 (resized).JPG
IMG_6829 (resized).JPG
IMG20190805123003 (resized).jpg
shot1.jpg

Topic index (key posts)

10 key posts have been marked in this topic

Post #129 Link to EL wire kit from Pinball Refinery. Posted by Tmezel (4 years ago)

Post #236 Link to custom rules cards. Posted by gweempose (4 years ago)

Post #404 Burning barn mod. Posted by Tmezel (4 years ago)

Post #690 Evil Dead sound package link. Posted by ezeltmann (3 years ago)

Post #783 Link to LE/Premium sound replacement options. Posted by ezeltmann (3 years ago)

Post #2893 Link to rules doc for v1.60, still being updated as of May 2018. Posted by e4mafia (3 years ago)

Post #4216 Guide to Walker Bombs! Posted by ezeltmann (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jason_jehosaphat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5337 1 year ago

Hi.

What are NIB buyers paying for their TWD's right now?

I realize that a person can easily search for current prices online ($5.6K and $7.2K for Pro and Premium, respectively), but Pinsiders I talk to say, Don't assume that posted prices are the lowest prices. Call the dealers and ask!

So, did buyers of NIB TWD's on this thread get better deals than the prices above? Did you buy from regional dealers 'cause there is no other option? You can't, for instance, buy from some distant dealer 'cause his price is lower than your local dealer? I thought Stern was fairly strict about such things.

I would like to buy a used TWD, but the few I find are priced at very nearly the cost of a new machine. As a result, I'm looking harder at buying NIB.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks for reading my post!

J

1 month later
#5704 1 year ago

*** Flipper Bats for TWD Premium ***

Are they unique to the Premium to accommodate the crossbow? As in, are they a little shorter in profile than those of other Sterns?

Or can something like this work if I want to replace the bats?

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=269

Thanks in advance.

#5736 1 year ago

*** TWD Pro Bulb Breakdown Requested for DIY LED Kit ***

I've been looking at the Stern manual for this pin online, hoping to figure out just how many of each kind of bulb are used on this pin, but the numbers I see listed are none that I can cross-reference to common numbers - 44, 555, etc.

If any of you have recently LED'd your TWD, or have bought a kit which included a list of the included bulbs, I would love to hear an approximate breakdown. Something like, 35 2-LED 44's for the GI; 49 1-LED's for the inserts; 5 4-LED ? for the flashers. That kind of thing.

And no, I've never done this before, so excuse me if my request is newbian.

Thanks in advance!

#5759 1 year ago

*** Pinball-Browser; Cataloging Sounds in TWD ***

Has anyone done any cataloging of the sounds in the v.1.6 code in Pinball-Browser?

If you don't know what I'm talking about, Pinball browser displays "Requests" by number, which correspond to sound samples. There is no description of the sound. For example, the sound for an inserted coin is listed simply as Request 168, 01s770ms. This makes it impossible to scroll through and find the samples that interest you.

It would helpful to know, for example, the request numbers of, say, the main song, etc. I have started cataloging, but there are *many* requests/samples. Has anyone here on this thread who has been using Pinball-Browser done any cataloging he/she can share? I will certainly share mine when I have more, but if there is work done already by another person, I would love to see that rather than slog through this myself.

Thanks!

#5763 1 year ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

Unfortunately , i do not have an index , but the options for sorting sound samples can bring all of the longest sounds to the top or bottom (V or ^) . All music will be longer samples.
There is another option which sorts sounds in groups by events. Ex. all of the sound relevant to a mode will appear together.

Thanks for your reply, E. Sorting by duration helps, as it put the main song sample at the top, allowing me to find it for the first time. Sorting by group, however, is proving elusive. Can you be more specific?

J

#5764 1 year ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

Thanks for your reply, E. Sorting by duration helps, as it put the main song sample at the top, allowing me to find it for the first time. Sorting by group, however, is proving elusive. Can you be more specific?
J

Er, wait. I *may* have it now. Searching by "Scripts" allows me to see certain script numbers that have multiple entries, each with a different alpha ending. Trying one example - "It's gotta be in the brain!" reveals a series of similar/related callouts. Is that what you mean by "groups"?

Thanks.

J

#5781 1 year ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

FYI - when sounds are added in an update, it changes the address of some of the sounds.
So a lot of those sound locations (0x32) will be shifted , which is part of the challenge of re-compiling custom for each software revision.
Pinball browser has the capabilities to redefine the positions once the "shifts" are identified.
Here is the shift id info from 1.43 to 1.56 (which may apply to millhouses document)
ShiftId,1,0x32,0x30
ShiftId,1,0x41,0x40
ShiftId,1,0x98B,0x9DE
ShiftId,1,0xA02,0xA5C
ShiftId,1,0xA6B,0xACC
ShiftId,1,0xA80,0xB58
ShiftId,1,0x1061,0x1140
ShiftId,1,0x158C,0x1695
Bottom line is the document will most likely not be useful for locating exact locations anymore (once a shift is encountered) and certainly will not contain any new sounds that were added. However, the gaps or additional sounds might be revealed in the ShiftId's listed above.
If you are confused , so am i.

Thanks, E, for your help - again!

And I agree: sample lists compiled for older code versions are useful only in so far as they indicate the length of a given sample, not its true request number. I will replace all the of the lacking songs (which play during modes) and perhaps a handful of the SFX I can identify. I just thought it would be fun to customize the sound of my pin. That's all.

J

#5798 1 year ago

*** SALE PENDING: Suite of mods for TWD ***

All mods are in good shape. They were installed/removed carefully in/from a new TWD pin. When taking them out, I used the original instructions to guide me, so as not to leave any parts of the mod behind. Still, just to be clear, I encourage you to look at the pictures and judge for yourself.

1. Speaker Light Kit w/red acrylic TWD grilles.
http://www.speakerlightkits.com/Type-9.html

2. Mezel Mods TWD Tower mod
https://mezelmods.com/collections/walking-dead-pinball-mods/products/walking-dead-pinball-prison-tower

3. Laseriffic Fishtank mod w/strip LED and leads. I can’t find this particular mod on Joe’s site, but I’m fairly sure it’s his work. It ties in with splice clips to the Tower flasher – or so I read in the instructions. It adheres (double-sided tape) to a piece of aluminum that is screwed to the back panel (hole already present) and the leads snake into the cabinet through the left ramp’s hole in the back panel. If I had to guess, I would say this was made by Pinsider mod maker “mikeincali,” but I don’t know.

4. Cointaker Lighted Flipper Kit, clear
https://cointaker.com/products/led-flipper-button-kit-deluxe-stern-pre-spike-dmd

5. Woodbury sign

6. Hand-painted Zombie shooter rod, 7-7/8” x 3/8”. I don’t know what artist made this fine mod, but the quality is a notch or two above “cheap toy,” for sure. This is hand-painted. It’s made from a fairly hard material, so it doesn’t “squeeze” when you pull against the plunger spring, etc.

Retail for this set of mods is approximately $300. I’m asking $150, shipping in the cont. U.S. included. All mods were in good working order when removed, but they are sold here AS-IS.

To see a gallery of images of these very mods…
https://www.flickr.com/photos/30661173@N07/albums/72157689107238902

Payment via PayPal is fine, but only as “Friends and Family.” Otherwise, add four per cent.

Thanks for looking.

Fishtank.mod.cu (resized).jpg
Tower.mod (resized).jpg
TWD.speaker.light.mod (resized).jpg
Zombie.shooter.cu.II (resized).jpg

#5805 1 year ago

*** Struggling to Update Code on Pro ***

Hi.

At the risk of revisiting an oft-discussed subject, I can't get my board for recognize the freshly formatted USB drive with code that was downloaded directly to the drive from Stern's site. The file, as you all will remember, is apparently a BIN file. Can such a file just go straight onto the USB drive, or must I extract it first? In which case, what freeware extractor would you suggest? When I read threads about other people who have struggled with this process - for SW, for instance - they talk about "sdk" files. Is that what I have to extract from this BIN?

And if you're thinking my drive needs formatting, I have formatted this drive in all available formats, one after the other, and none has worked. I have also tried a second USB drive, from a different manufacturer, again using all three formatting schemes (exFAT, FAT, NTSI).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Jason

#5808 1 year ago
Quoted from finnflash:

I thought there was a switch you need to turn on for code to update. Thats the only thing i can think of.

Hi.

Sorry to leave that detail out: you're right, dip switch #8 must be in the on position to do this procedure, followed by a resetting of the machine, followed by the insertion of the USB, etc.

I know the sequence. I have the manual pages in front of me, as well as links to at least a few YouTube tutorials. The drive is my undoing. I don't want to drive to a computer store to buy yet another drive if I can make either of my current drives work.

J

#5811 1 year ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

If you just placed the .BIN file on the drive and formatted in FAT32 it should work. Only thing that can be wrong is the size of the disk. It should preferably be as small as possible. I always use a 8GB Kingston drive and it has never failed yet with any machine (updated many Stern and JJP).

That's all I've done, and the drives are small - 4GB Data Traveler and an 8GB Micro Center.

#5813 1 year ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

I just checked, the file for the PRO on Sterns website does not need unzipping or anything. Does the Pin go to the updater screen when switch 8 is turned on ?

Yes: flipping dip switch #8 switches the pin's menu to the update sequence, first asking me to press select to reset the pin, and then prompting the insertion of the drive, etc.

#5821 1 year ago

*** Aggravated by Ball Lingering in Pop Bumpers. Are There Fixes? ***

I just bought a TWD Pro. I played another example of a Pro a fair amount at my local barcade, so I understood the pops and how the ball can hang out in there for too long before it dribbles out into the area above the flippers.

Now that I have the pin in my home, I'm truly exasperated by the pops. The ball can't escape. That lowest pop bumper is like a gate keeper. Each time the ball tries to trickle past, the pop says, "Not so fast!" and sends the ball ricocheting back up into the pops for yet another bash around, etc., etc., etc.

I want to disable the pops. I hate waiting for the ball to escape from the pops. It's just too much time to stand there and watch the ball dance. I did see a game-settings menu item addressing how "hard" the pops are. Could that have anything to do with how sensitive/powerful they are? Or is that just about scoring?

Would the game's scoring be completely disrupted if I disabled the pops? Obviously I wouldn't get my pops points, but would other scoring sequences be foiled, etc? What would be the simplest way to do it? I looked at their connections beneath the PF but there are no simple connectors, only soldered leads.

I've played perhaps a hundred games and the problem isn't getting any better. What can I do? It's really turning me off.

J

#5829 1 year ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

Or he could adjust the switches of the pop bumpers to be just a little bit less sensitive.

Thank you, all of you, for your helpful replies.

Are you telling me an adjustment of the pops will have to come from the switches themselves, *not* from the Service Menu?

If so, just what is that setting in the menu for the pops ("Easy," "Normal," "Hard")?

FYI: the pin's pitch is set to slightly steeper than normal, but nothing crazy.

Jason

#5832 1 year ago

Thank you, Gweem, for your photo of the pop mechanics. I addressed the switches, one by one, widening the gap, and that helped a lot. My first go 'round, I all but disabled the pops with a gap of 2.5mm. Now I'm at c. 1mm and things are a little better in terms of time lingered in the pops. SUPER helpful!

And thank you, Fox, for your suggestion re: leveling the PF, not the cab'. Got it.

Jason

#5850 1 year ago

*** Source for Replacement Star Rollover Switches? ***

Hi.

Speaking to a tech at Stern today I learned that my star rollover switches in my TWD Pro need to be replaced. I'm disappointed, naturally, but better to just replace them and move on. So, my first impulse was to check Pinball Life, Pinball Resource, and Marco to find replacements.

Nothing doing!

I'm thinking that some of you have had bad star rollover switches in your TWD's in the past and might have been in this position. If so, where did you get your replacements if not from a Stern distributor?

Part number is 520-6824-18.

Thanks.

#5863 1 year ago
Quoted from stevevt:

https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4379
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/520-6824-1X
I have 2 of the PBL ones in my TWD Pro, and confirm they are the correct part and work great.

Wow!

You are so helpful!

This is just what I need!

Of course, I missed this in my own searches as apparently I didn't know how to look properly, using the right terms, etc.

Actually, I'm out big money, 'cause, not finding these switches at either PBL or Marco, I ordered them from a Stern dealer, plus shipping. Argh! I ordered them only hours *before* your replied to my post!

Live and learn, I guess. (Grumble, grumble...)

#5871 1 year ago

*** Can't Hit Tunnel Shot to Save My Life! ***

I'm a novice player. I bought TWD because I'd read how fabulous it is and because I'd enjoyed playing a hundred-or-so sub-twenty-million-point games on one at my local barcade. Now that I own one (my first pin of any kind), I'm really struggling to be play it well enough to actually advance through the game.

In ascending order of difficulty, I rank the shots as follows:

6. CDC
5. Barn
4. Riot
3. Arena
2. Woodbury
1. Tunnel

Tunnel, as you all know, is a "Borg" shot. It has no margin for error, as even grazing/activating a pop on the way by deflects the shot. You can't "rattle" your shot through there. It has to sail through without touching a thing 'til it finds the corner at the very back/right of the PF, etc. I first experienced a shot of this kind on KISS, and I thought it was absurdly hard there, too.

I hit Tunnel by accident far more often than I do aiming for it. When I aim, I hit it perhaps once in twenty attempts. This is a problem. To help me avoid total frustration, I have set the game to settings that allow me to make at least *some* progress toward scoring goals. I still find it murderously hard. (Believe me, I don't advance all that far, despite all the gimmies!) I typically spend most of each ball trying to clear a single bank or drop targets to earn a shot at starting a mode. I rarely get to the mode as I more often just drain trying to clear the target bank. Clearing the target bank keeps you down near the deadly slings, and once the ball gets to ricocheting around between them, it will all too often find its way into the outlanes in a flash, etc. Still, on rare occasions, I have actually started Horde. (I count four times at this point.) Being resolutely unable to hit Tunnel, this a problem, as it's just a matter of time before I'm "bitten" by an advancing walker on the middle-right. Really, my skills are not up to Horde in general, but in particular because I can't hit Tunnel.

Oh, if you're thinking my pops have switch gaps that are ultra-tight, making them ultra-sensitive, I actually got in there already to *expand* those gaps to make the pops *less* sensitive, as all that pop-bumping on every plunge was driving me bananas.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

J

#5898 1 year ago

You funny, bruh'. That was sixteen years ago! A.I. is still my dawg!

#5899 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Practice! Seriously play for a week straight and only concentrate on getting the ball on the left flipper on a trap and hitting tunnel.
As for the game overall, it’s extremely hard. It takes practice. Lots of practice. 100s of hours of practice.
Skills you need to master to be successful at TWD:
Outlane nudging, drop catches, live catches, dead flips, post passing, slap saves, and depending on the tilt, slide saves.

Fair enough. Time to put in a solid week of practice and see where I end up. I've played c. two-hundred games to date, averaging 10M on three balls.

My nudging is poorly timed and ineffectual. I often drop catch, but I flip instantly. It's not like a true "catch." I just meet the ball with the flipper up, then decelerate the ball by lowering it with my flipper, then flipping instantly. Kind of like a tip in basketball. I rarely if ever do live catches on this pin. I began learning them on my first love, IM, since the ball comes to the right flipper from the pops on that pin in a way that invites a live catch. ToM is another title that invites *lots* of right-flipper live catches. My dead flipping has come a long way. I'd say it's one of the first flipper skills players begin to improve on when they commit to getting better. I can post pass reasonably well, allowing me to transfer a cradled ball from one flipper to the other, etc. I will invariably post pass to my left flipper whenever Extra Ball is lit. I've never done a slap save, I don't think. I don't really try to save SDTM drains. I fight outlane drains as much as I can, but not well.

Thanks for your reply to my post!

#5907 1 year ago

*** Where to Buy Well Walker Plastic Alternate-Strike-Point Mod? ***

At one point I noticed a mod here on pinside for a red plastic alternate plate, to be fitted at the Well Walker's belly.

I'm convinced that the bulk of my ball wear comes from strikes to the stock steel plate, so I'd love to get a plastic one in there instead.

I've searched the Market section devoted to new mods but don't see it.

Thanks.

#5911 1 year ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Does anyone know why Stern made the skill shot zombie male? Seems like it was female originally.

That's interesting. I guess shooting a woman - albeit a zombie woman - in the head for a skill shot was just too insensitive to AMC. Come to think of it, all of the mutilation animations that mark walker kills are of men, no? I would like to see the rejects. The keepers are gruesome enough!

#5913 1 year ago
Quoted from woody76:

I believe that is Mezel Mods

Thank you, Woody!

#5923 1 year ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

I'm having the same issue with my new Pro.
Not certain, but it seems to happen only/most often when I plunge manually, and not from the auto-plunge.
I was poking around with the glass of yesterday to see if the guide rails near the exit area could be easily bent, but they appear to be in there pretty solid.
Would love to hear others opinion. Otherwise, it'll be a call into Stern to see what they suggest.

I've developed this issue with a Pro, too. I plunge, and rather than see the ball glide smoothly out of the plunge lane and up past the star rollovers, it gets snagged/disturbed at the one-way gate, there at the top of the plunge lane. This becomes a problem when trying for a Woodbury shot, as I can't gently plunge all the way to the star rollover switches.

I believe this problem arose when the one-way gate shifted position, perhaps as a result of the shaker I just installed. Moreover, the one-way gate at the very top of the "Woodbury" lane, just before the ball is dropped above the rollover lanes, is misbehaving in the same way, although worse, as sometimes it will simply block the ball entirely.

My intended fix will involve shifting these one-way gates (each has lateral adjustibility +/- 3mm) and then tightening them down properly. The trouble will be accessing the gate at the top of the plunge lane, as it sits below the Arena ramp and some additional plastics.

Good luck to the rest of you who will address this on your own pins.

J

#5924 1 year ago

*** Pro Owners: How to Trap Ball Returning from Arena for Controlled Crossbow Shot? ***

To load the Crossbow, I must hit an Arena shot (at the prescribed moment). Fine.

The problem comes *after* I hit Arena, when the ball returns to the top of the left inlane, stops, drops to the PF, and then trickles down to the left flipper. It has just enough pace that I can't trap it on the left, and too little pace to allow either a roll pass or a tip pass to the right. This forces me into a rolling Crossbow shot, as I can't trap first.

How are other Pro owners trapping in this scenario, for a better chance at a good Crossbow shot? (I say "other Pro owners" because I assume that the Premium's return ramp, with its alternate design, delivers the ball slightly differently to the left flipper.)

Is the only move here a tip trap, where the ball is moving with pace enough to dribble over the flipper and you tip in a way as to keep the ball on the same flipper? This is an advanced move, for sure. I've had zero success with it in this situation so far.

Any suggestions are welcome.

#5925 1 year ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

I've developed this issue with a Pro, too. I plunge, and rather than see the ball glide smoothly out of the plunge lane and up past the star rollovers, it gets snagged/disturbed at the one-way gate, there at the top of the plunge lane. This becomes a problem when trying for a Woodbury shot, as I can't gently plunge all the way to the star rollover switches.
I believe this problem arose when the one-way gate shifted position, perhaps as a result of the shaker I just installed. Moreover, the one-way gate at the very top of the "Woodbury" lane, just before the ball is dropped above the rollover lanes, is misbehaving in the same way, although worse, as sometimes it will simply block the ball entirely.
My intended fix will involve shifting these one-way gates (each has lateral adjustibility +/- 3mm) and then tightening them down properly. The trouble will be accessing the gate at the top of the plunge lane, as it sits below the Arena ramp and some additional plastics.
Good luck to the rest of you who will address this on your own pins.
J

#5931 1 year ago
Quoted from setzkor:

For the Crossbow shot, on my Pro, I have plenty of pace coming down the ramp to allow it to jump over to the right flipper...so I typically go after CDC, Barn or Riot. What is your pitch set to?

Oh, my gosh! You can roll pass to your right flipper after an Arena shot return! My Pro just has the ball drool off the end of the left flipper and drain!

My pitch is set to normal. (Bubble sits dead center.) I have no idea how I can improve this.

Thanks for your reply.

3 months later
#6440 1 year ago

Please tell me who makes this "chicken wire" side art for TWD.

Thanks.

Chicken.wire.side.art (resized).jpg

#6443 1 year ago

Opinions from Owners of This PR Mod Sought:

To any of you who have this Pinball Refinery mod in your pin, I'd like to know how you like it.

It seems to introduce quite a lot of light - more, perhaps, than Pinstadium.

Also, is the "blade" portion of the mod simply mesh, or is it mesh over mirrored art?

Thanks!

Chicken.wire.side.art (resized).jpg

2 months later
#6815 1 year ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Work in progress.
Installed first the tower mod a friend made. Now installing the fish tank mod. Playing with the leds now. Will finish it with the next few days. Now lighting from above, think will add also from below.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Your BG toy is kind of hot.

Ha!

8 months later
#7775 4 months ago

** An Upcoming Run of TWD Premiums From Stern? **

Who is hearing rumblings about a run of TWD's this spring/summer? Anyone? I was talking to another collector, telling him about my hunt for a HUO TWD, and he casually asked if I was hearing that a run of NIB games might be coming. I told him he was the first to mention it. Is he onto something? We did get a run of MET Premiums last summer, so why not some TWD's *this* summer? Who has the inside scoop?

3 months later
#8160 33 days ago

Left Ramp Fix For Premium?

Please steer me to the mod that improves the initial roll up onto the left ramp. I believe I remember reading about an extension that makes the transition from PF to ramp slightly less abrupt. Hopefully it's a completely different ramp section with a longer acrylic face and a spring-steel tongue/flap.

Thanks.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 26.50
4,550 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Golden, CO
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 19.95
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jason_jehosaphat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside