IMG_8591.jpeg
IMG_8590.jpeg
IMG_4800 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4801 (resized).jpeg
R0010351 (resized).jpg
3A806D11-0414-4B59-896B-4EC5124E108B (resized).jpeg
20240218_165719 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #129 Link to EL wire kit from Pinball Refinery. Posted by Tmezel (9 years ago)

Post #236 Link to custom rules cards. Posted by gweempose (9 years ago)

Post #404 Burning barn mod. Posted by Tmezel (8 years ago)

Post #690 Evil Dead sound package link. Posted by ezeltmann (8 years ago)

Post #783 Link to LE/Premium sound replacement options. Posted by ezeltmann (8 years ago)

Post #2893 Link to rules doc for v1.60, still being updated as of May 2018. Posted by e4mafia (7 years ago)

Post #3005 ATLpb's TWD Audio Mod (NIN + Radiohead) Posted by ATLpb (7 years ago)

Post #4216 Guide to Walker Bombs! Posted by ezeltmann (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider FatPanda.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4743 6 years ago

Getting my TWD Pro in a week if all goes well. It's got to make a 4 hr trip home after i pick it up but it'll be worth it. I've been wanting one since I played it on location about a year ago. Can't wait! Ordered Pinbits plastic protectors for it and it already has the latest sound package update. Anything else I should pick up? It is mostly stock. Might be speaker grill inserts installed.

This will also be my first modern era Stern. Anything I need to know about these things in general? Im mostly familiar with WPC era games.

1 week later
#4767 6 years ago

Leaving tomorrow to visit the fam in MN, then pickup up on Saturday morning, possibly setting up at my brother-in-law's garage, then heading home on Sunday! I'm getting the itch real bad!

#4786 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Next step is to buy a new magnet core. That's what John Borg told me when I said I was still getting drains off the magnet after rotating it. I haven't bought a new one yet, but worth a shot as they are on pinball life and I think pretty cheap.

What would changing out a magnet core do? Isn't just a metal post?

#4810 6 years ago

I'm officially part of the club!

Previous owner installed lit flipper buttons and I want to remove them. There's too much light leakage and the buttons squeak. Does it matter if I replace the buttons with an internal spring, or do I need buttons with no spring. Is it a preference thing? PBL doesn't have buttons with no spring, and I'm ordering other parts from them and would rather order everything from them anyways.

#4820 6 years ago

I've had luck cancelling the animation when the magnet is holding, and nudging it at the same time. It seems to be 50/50 when I cancel, that the ball will randomly fling, and that it will drop straight down. With the slight nudge, if it does the latter, it will move it to a flipper. No need to eat tilt warnings for a possible STDM drop.

#4835 6 years ago

In the same boat with a colorDMD. I have to say, the HighRes display actually looks quite good, even though for most games, I'm a fan of the dots. Also, just added a sub to the game and it definitely adds a needed bottom end to the sound.

#4837 6 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

I played an HighRes and LED dots TWD at Pintastic. I've been wondering about the differences for months and finally got to observe both. The LED dots look too twinkly (?) for me and each colored dot was not a solid color but several different colored LEDs to create a single color. Not sure if I'm explaining it clearly. HighRes was incredible and def showed detail on the screen that I had never noticed before on my monochromatic DMD.
Overall though, for me, the price tag is just too much. I rarely look at the DMD enough to enjoy it. I look up a few times when the ball stops on a magnet or after a ball drains but TWD really requires a lot of constant focus on the playfield. Seems like it's more made to be enjoyed by the people watching you play. Pretty sure the LED'd TWD won Best in Show so what do I know...

I feel the same way too, but I enjoy watching other people play also, and I try to enjoy the animations as much as I can when I'm playing any game, but yeah, I completely get it. $400 is a lot for a mod, essentially...but it looks so good!

#4856 6 years ago

Anyone have any thoughts on how to fix ball hop with the plastic lane guides? Happens on right flipper. I've tried to loosen and adjust several ways but still can't seem to get it to flow smoothly on slower balls. On faster balls, it flows smoothly.

#4858 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Titan thin flipper rubber.

So use thin on one side and standard on the other? Wouldn't that mess with gameplay? if I use thin on both, would that not mess with the side that flows well?

#4895 6 years ago

A fast game is a clean game. A clean game plays as it should. For this game, brutal is an understatement. I've only gotten Hoard once in the week and a half I've owned it. I'm trying different strategies, and I'm like a dog with ADHD when it comes to trying to stick with one strategy. It never works for me! I seem to have the best scoring games when I try to lock in Blood Bath with WW and Prison MB with modes running. I have the hardest time hitting shots other than Barn in this game for some reason. Just have to stick with it I guess and learn the timing of the shots.

#4962 6 years ago

There are a lot of threads/comments comparing a pro to a premium, with opinions for or against one or the other.

#4968 6 years ago

Pro or premium/le?

Make sure the game is level, and if you get SDTM from the prison magnet, then turning the core 90 degree might help.

Congrats!

#4970 6 years ago

I only have the Woodbury sign as a mod. I'm not a huge fan of mods though, but thought the sign looked like it should have come from factory. Other than that, set it up correctly and you should have minimal SDTMs.

Also Cleland's sound ROM is a must have for sure. It's a key topic on page one, you should be able to find it easily. Add a subwoofer, and I hear a shaker is a good addition.

3 weeks later
#5051 6 years ago

Anybody have any thoughts about the prison opto not registering on some hits? I've adjusted the magnet to be as flush with the playfield as possible, as I though there was possibly the tiniest bit of ball hop what would make the ball skip over the opto, but I still get it occasionally, sometimes 2 or 3 shots in a row. Works fine in the switch test.

#5053 6 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Adding a washer is the fix described elsewhere in this thread.

Add a washer where?

#5055 6 years ago

Gotcha. No, the head is fine, it's the optos that sometimes dont register.

#5057 6 years ago

There's a link to the rule sheet in the key topics. That's a good place to start.

#5066 6 years ago
Quoted from corvair61:

Was playing my TWD Pro last night and the play field started smoking. Shut it off quick to find that the pop bumper coil seized up and melted. My house still smells! This happen to anyone else?? Game is only a month old with a couple hundred plays.

Holy smokes! Thats kinda crazy. Wonder why that happened. Was the switch stuck closed while you were playing? Did you find the cause? Luckily it didn't start a fire or anything.

2 weeks later
#5131 6 years ago

I've tried turning the core and the magnet and it really didn't help in my case. The best luck I've had is alternating flipper button presses when the animation starts, then the magnet actually flings the ball around (most of the time).

The way I see it, Stern should be able to send out a small code update to fix this quite easily. One should include pulsing the magnet randomly, EVERY TIME when it's time to throw the ball, and another should include a 2-3 second ball save afterwards. It really is frustrating to have it go STDM during a really good ball, and at times completely out of your control.

2 weeks later
#5210 6 years ago

I will be needing these instructions soon too. Thanks for posting!

#5212 6 years ago

Here's the code revision by Stern, I think for the most part, you should be able to watch and learn similar strategies to score or (in my case) have meaningful balls.
http://f0727d06e1d39b514478-a613b39d02a32124478c749a23d19af0.r44.cf5.rackcdn.com/TWD156_README.TXT

#5214 6 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

I also added the McFarlane's Bicycle Girl to my Premium. Put her above the moving ramp.

Can you get a wider shot? I was thinking about doing the same thing. I happened to get an airball deflector with a plastic protector kit for my Pro and it looks like it works out really well. Did you move the light from the plastic and put into the mod?

#5216 6 years ago

Thanks, I'll have to consider doing this since the Bicycle Girl plastic on the Pro version looks really cheap. Same with the fish tank/crossbow plastic one the right ramp, but that will have to stay probably...

2 weeks later
#5253 6 years ago

Just added a shaker to my Pro. What was I waiting for?! Really great integration with the game!

#5263 6 years ago

I've had better luck with hitting the flippers alternately during the animation as opposed to both at the same time. All it would take is a 2 second ball save and/or better pulsing of the magnet...but we're talking about Stern here...

#5290 6 years ago

Just wish they would release a tiny little update for a 2 second ball save after the Prison magnet, and more random magnet pulses...can't imagine it would be that hard for them to do. But like I said in a different thread, Stern is more busy trying to pull in new customers as opposed taking care of existing customers (with the potential of repeat customers).

#5296 6 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

Thanks! I'll have to pay more attention to see if it's slight airballs. I do have a thin Cliffy on that magnet.
When I mentioned the ball coming back straight down the middle, I didn't mean because of the magnet. I can usually cancel that animation with the crowbar and avoid that. I meant that a hard solid shot when spelling prison bounces right back down the middle, so it sucks when I actually go for letters and they don't register because it's a risky shot.

i'm not sure if it is perceivable by eye. You'll have to feel it on the pf itself if the magnet is completely flush with the pf or not. Mine still doesn't register occasionally. It seems that there is no way to level it from the front of the magnet to the back.

1 week later
#5321 6 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Alright, I'm an idiot! The past 4-5 months I've been really struggling with having good games and have only made Horde a couple times. Just realized that I've had my extra balls turned off since hosting league night back in June. -Doh!

That's ok because now you'll be a better player playing with the handicap! If it makes you feel better, I've only gotten to horde twice with extra ball awarded at 90 million, and at 20 walker kills. have had the game since July. I suck at pinball haha

#5326 6 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

10 tower hits on default settings either lights EB at the Woodbury shot or awards extra ball.

I can count on no hands how many times I've intentionally hit the Riot shot...

1 month later
#5476 6 years ago

I believe the walker count was also reduced as well, so it's less than 120 hits. Not sure what that number is tho...

#5486 6 years ago

For me, it's the stock sound and art package that I didn't care for. The stock sound really killed it. I mentioned in my review that if it came with the Cleland sound package, that it would have gotten full marks. As mentioned by others, if it would have come with the comic book art package, then I think you would have one of the best machines made-to-date.

#5492 6 years ago

TWD is my only Stern machine and I only acquired it recently (July) so don't have any experience updating code. Is the Cleland sound code essentially a re-release of the Stern code except with his sound package inserted? Is that the only code that I need to install to update to v1.60 or do i need to install v1.60 and the Cleland sound package on top of that. Sorry for the noob question.

#5519 6 years ago

Cleland is working on updating his code to 1.60. I'm sure he'll let us know when it's ready.

1 week later
#5635 6 years ago
Quoted from Requis:

Appologies in advance if this is tabled any where, wondering if someone could take the time to,post..back..
our TWD premium NIB is suppose to show up tomorrow and interested in having all the optimum settings setup as we put it together during unboxing.
Can anyone take a moment to put in a post for all of the best settings, angle, elevation, flipper etc..that we should utilize for a new family just getting in the hobby... I recognize this is subjective but really just looking for a starting point. We ordered Cliffy’s for all our pins coming tomorrow but never thought to ask what would be the best way to configure these on initial setup.
Thank you for posting really appreciate your help!

Generally, you want the machine to be level side-to-side and to be set at 6.5 degrees. Set the pitch of the game first, then set the level. You can download a clinometer app on your smartphone and it'll do both for you. Just make sure that the back of your phone is completely flat (no cases) to get accurate readings. For leveling, I like to use the old fashion bubble leveler. Take a small bubble level and place it in a spot towards the back of the playfield, and also in between the slingshots. Level both the rear legs and the front legs. Check a few times to make sure. It helps to have a second person looking at the level so you don't have to climb under several times.

As for game settings, you'll want to set volume under normal boot mode, and freeplay, under the "General" menu settings. For most machines, I like to play on default settings, but if you find you need to tweak ball save times, replay awards (to award an extra ball instead of a credit) or anything else, you'll find that on your own in time.

Make sure you download the latest code from Stern. Put it on a zip drive and in the backbox, flip dipswitch 8 (top one), plug in your zip drive and turn the machine on, follow the prompts. It takes about 45 minutes to upload a code.

Enjoy!

And welcome to the hobby. TWD being your first machine is quite the step! It is a brutally difficult game, but as you play more and your skills increase, it is one of the best games made in pinball. Be patient with it...and "Play better!"

1 week later
#5685 6 years ago

I have pinball life's shaker in mine and I think it does a great job. It doesn't rattle your teeth like some ok ther games do. I would suggest cointaker's shaker if you want to rattle your teeth.

2 weeks later
#5787 6 years ago
Quoted from Avatar:

Can anybody tell me what "install director's cut" means in the install-menu ?

Which code are you on? I'm curious what this is also.

#5789 6 years ago

hmm? I'll have to check when I get home now. Has me intrigued.

1 week later
#5823 6 years ago

Disabling the pops will really mess with well walker multiball, since the well walker jackpot is activated by the number of switch hits. I think the first jackpot is after 25 switch hits or something like that. The pops are the best way to get these.

The pops also serve as a little respite for multiball in general, especially if you're in prison/well walker MB, and want to stack bloodbath on top of that. Having the balls in the pops will afford you an opportunity to cradle a ball and go for the drops to stack.

I'm generally not a fan of messing with things from factory settings, unless there is a huge flaw in the factory setup. In this case, waiting for 10 seconds isnt a big deal really.

#5825 6 years ago

I was just pointing out some huge gameplay aspects being affected, as he asked. He can disable the pops if he wants. Just remember to engage them again if he sells.

1 week later
#5875 6 years ago

Is this why you wanted to disable the pops? TWD is a difficult game, not matter how you cut it. There are definitely games that play easier. TWD is not one of them. I find games like ST or SM (almost identical layout) much easier to play as all the shots return back the the flipper without much danger and the ramps are easy to hit. Yes, shots through the pops are difficult, but that's part of the game. There's no way to really make it easier other than getting the shot right. You have it at home, which means you have the luxury to practice that specific shot until your fingers bleed. You'll progress as you get better, which if you play enough, you will.

#5882 6 years ago

I usually put in a dozen or so games that just kick my ass, then I have one game that I do well on...it's like the carrot that it dangles in front of me. Then it proceeds to kick my ass again and again and again. But I love it.

If I want to feel good about myself, then I play ToM or Baywatch

#5888 6 years ago
Quoted from bgwilly31:

on my new premium my prison doors are taking about 4-5 shots to activate. i believe they needed adjusted somehow. ill hit them and nothing. then hit them nothing. then maybe on the third hit they respond.
anyone had to adjust them and how>?

Check to see if the prison magnet is completely flush with the playfield. If there is a lip on either the front or the back, the ball will skip over the opto and not register. If you have a cliffy decal around the magent, then remove it.

If it is as flush as possible, but there is still a lip no matter how you adjust it (lip in the front, flush in the back and vice versa, then what I did was use 2 pieces of mylar to form "steps" on the playfield to flush out the front of the magnet so that it was flat. Now all of my shot register 100%

#5901 6 years ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

Fair enough. Time to put in a solid week of practice and see where I end up. I've played c. two-hundred games to date, averaging 10M on three balls.
My nudging is poorly timed and ineffectual. I often drop catch, but I flip instantly. It's not like a true "catch." I just meet the ball with the flipper up, then decelerate the ball by lowering it with my flipper, then flipping instantly. Kind of like a tip in basketball. I rarely if ever do live catches on this pin. I began learning them on my first love, IM, since the ball comes to the right flipper from the pops on that pin in a way that invites a live catch. ToM is another title that invites *lots* of right-flipper live catches. My dead flipping has come a long way. I'd say it's one of the first flipper skills players begin to improve on when they commit to getting better. I can post pass reasonably well, allowing me to transfer a cradled ball from one flipper to the other, etc. I will invariably post pass to my left flipper whenever Extra Ball is lit. I've never done a slap save, I don't think. I don't really try to save SDTM drains. I fight outlane drains as much as I can, but not well.
Thanks for your reply to my post!

I've put on probably 600 plays since I've gotten mine and it still beats my ass. I foresee that after getting 1k plays, it'll still kick my ass, and even after 1500 plays it will yet still kick my ass. There's something about it that makes me press start one more time.

#5914 6 years ago

There are females that come out during Barn, and I'm pretty sure during multikill animations as well.

#5938 6 years ago

I have Titan super shiny in mine with no issues. I want to try Ball Baron ninja balls for my next round when my games need it.

1 month later
#6054 6 years ago

I have a set of yoyokopter outlane save posts if anyone wants them. I'll take $15 shipped for them. Can send pics if needed. Rubbers included on them.

#6056 6 years ago

Outlane posts are spoken for. Thank you!

2 weeks later
#6084 6 years ago
Quoted from TheRookie:

Just purchased my 1st NIB and its the walking dead PREM and i couldn't be more excited. it was between TWD and GOT and finally pulled the trigger on TWD this morning. Should be shipping out today and was wondering if most people play with the stock sound or with the other sound packages that are available? What did you guys do?

Cleland V1.60

1 month later
#6338 5 years ago
Quoted from Pale_Purple:

Somebody posted a fix for this months maybe even a year ago. I think it involves putting a washer or a dime behind a target and a few people all said it worked. Sorry this isn’t more helpful, this thread is very long but it’s here somewhere

Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

is it even possible to lower the magnet's outer ring?

I had the same problem too. It was because the ball was skipping on the magnet and jumping over the opto.

On my particular machine, it was impossible to set the magnet flush. I would adjust it to get the front flush, then the back would be too low and it would create a lip on the playfield. If I adjusted to get the back flush, then the front would be too high, and the magnet would create a lip.

So what I did was set the magnet to be flush with the back of the ring and then create a "step" with two pieces of mylar so that the lip created by the magnet in the front would be smoothed out. Now as the ball flys over, it doesn't hit a lip and jump over the opto. It works 100% of the time, even on the hardest hits.

1 week later
#6394 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Sweet, I was one bank shot away twice yesterday... Getting closer!
LMS seems unreachable! Anyone have any suggestions?

"Play better!"

Quoted from gweempose:

Lower the amount of kills necessary to reach it ...

That's like setting a video game difficulty to "Normal" for this game at least. It comes set as "Extra Hard" from the factory lol. I'll probably never see it without the glass off...

#6397 5 years ago

I made the mistake of cleaning and waxing the game. Now it's barely playable until it gets at least a little dirty. I can barely start modes and light my extra ball now (at 6 kills). Faaaccckkkk.....

#6422 5 years ago

Easier solution would be to sell the CT shaker and get the Pinball Life shaker.

#6428 5 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

Easier solution?
Remove old shaker, sell, package, ship, order new shaker, install.
or
Order speed controller, unplug shaker, snip, strip, screw, plug in shaker.

Easy is relative. I would find it easier. Plus no need to order a mod for the mod, so cheaper too.

1 week later
#6491 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

When the ball drops out of the tunnel on your first ball right after the ball save it's pretty frustrating. I usually just restart and try it all over again.
My average ball time went from 0:21 to 1:20 and average score is 107M, so I'm doing decently.

Your ball save should catch at least the first STDM drain after the first plunge into the pops. Timers stop when the balls are in the pops, so you wouldn't have lost it on your first plunge. Play it out, man.

If you see a lot of these, check side to side level. It happens to me maybe 10% of the time, if that.

#6494 5 years ago

So you've started flipping and it drains after a ball save. Then you definitely need to play it out! But it's your game, and my opinion is just that. Keep flippin'

PS. Most of the time, it's a setup/leveling issue. Check that both the front and the back are level, just to make sure.

#6508 5 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement switch for the well walker, I have read about others that replaced it and it helped with random triggers
thanks

Have you tried gapping first?

#6510 5 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

can you explain what I should do, I lifted the playfield up, and see the switch. Do I insert something between it and the metal plate that it touches?
Thanks!

Try bending the actuator downwards (towards the switch) so that it takes a longer throw to activate it (the knob at the end is further from the plate). A needlenose pliers would be helpful.

2 months later
#6883 5 years ago

Here's a link to the rulesheet. it's for 1.60 but it's helpful.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twd-club-only-walkers-not-welcome/page/58#post-3202060

1 month later
#7068 5 years ago

all day e'eryday

1 month later
#7186 5 years ago

Not that this hasn't been beaten to death over the years but f*ck that SDTM drain from the Prison Magnet. Nothing worse than playing a helluva ball only to have the game drain you for no reason other than to be a b*tch. I'll take all the drains from all the bricked shots that I make but god damnit...

k...back to your regular programming...

#7234 5 years ago

Didn't think I'd spark a whole magnet string again! I've done it all, rotated the core, rotated the magnet, double flip (yes, at the right time), alternate flips, a sacrificial goat, it's all chance.

Some days the magnet barely pulses but it's just enough to move the ball one way or the other. Other days, I swear I can hear the game say "f*ck you HAHAHAHAHA" then proceed to push the ball SDTM. I think it's purely in coding, because I'm sure i've heard Lyman mention something in an interview somewhere about this problem (i think it was in the video with Nate Shivers??)

I have an XMLE and the Wolverine magnet ALWAYS throws the ball around, never a straight drop down. I don't think it has anything to do with hardware. I think it needs to be programmed to pulse and throw. At least have a setting that has Prison Magnet low, med, high so that way you can choose to get screwed or not. Or a 1 sec ball save. TNA has like a .8 sec ball save when it comes flying out of the scoop for SDTM drains.

#7240 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Be interested to hear what happens when you replace the core.

I really dont think it's a hardware issue.

#7256 5 years ago
Quoted from imharrow:

I don't know what is happening when you skip the animation. Maybe it is the simple physical vibration changes how the ball sits. Maybe there is a complex timing issue causes by the fact that the pinball machine is a real-time system controlled by a single processor. They discover things they didn't know like the weak flipper issue on some spike machines being caused by overloading the bus.
I would love to see video from people with high SDTM rate (with and without double flipping for fun). I suspect core wear, core level, cleanliness, pitch, ball condition and type, all have a lot to do with this. But slow motion video of what the ball is doing would be much more useful then the current arguing back and forth about different experiences.

Yeah, didn't really want to debate what causes it, what the fix for it is, or who's right or who's wrong, just wanted to vent the one flaw that I've found with my particular game. I don't get drains out of the pops like others do, I keep my game cleaned and waxed regularly, pitched to my liking, with little (if any) side-to-side leveling difference. My game is set up as you would expect an enthusiast, home owner that likes nice things, to have it set up. There are times where my magnet is very lazy at slinging the ball left or right, but it's enough to angle it towards a flipper. Then there are times where the magnet just lets the ball go. Then there are times where it Rocket Raccoons the ball SDTM. As I've mentioned before, the Wolvie magnet on my XMLE flings the ball like a bat out of hell going this way and that. I would say 1/5 times, the ball is active out of the Prison magnet, even with all of the rituals that have been suggested in this thread. I would like to see if the magnet coil itself behaves in XMLE as it does in TWD. I'm not sure if the connections are the same, but I might do some testing to see.

2 weeks later
#7306 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!
Very first ball, I put up 600 million and 60 walker kills. Drain, get two extra balls, and then pinball happens!
Ended with 84 kills, and 824 million.
This game is rough!!!

Seriously, how are you guys getting these scores? My GC is ~435 Mill with two extra balls (one for walker kills and one as a replay award). All settings on default, 7 degree incline, no outlane saver mods or anything.

On a Pro.

#7308 5 years ago
Quoted from Monk:

I'll let you know when I get home and play it for the first real time tonight. I can't wait to get some time on this machine. Stupid work and responsibilities keeping me from playing my new game!!!

I've had this game for about 18 months; it's gonna take a few games
Unless you're a rockstar pinballer

#7314 5 years ago
Quoted from roar:

EB on Replay isn't default AFAIK. I'm dying for my EB's on this game but I believe default is only 5/60 walkers and 10 tower hits... if there are others I'd love to know.

It's not. The only available (to me) EB is at 6 walker kills otherwise. The next is at 60 (?) and 10 tower hits. Yeah right!

So, on a good game, I get at most 2 EBs.

#7315 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Play better. Haha. Also the Pro is harder than the prem.

Yeah, been trying that

#7316 5 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Bloodbath + Riot + Prison seems the be the ultimate stack. You can also get a butt load of points from CDC if you use the inlane X on the last shot. I've put up a 500+ million CDC before.

I usually try to stack Bloodbath + Prison, mainly for progression towards Siege. Getting a mode in the mix is bonus for me. I usually go for Horde since I've seen it a couple times and it's just so good, especially with a subwoofer to really pronounce the thumping sound. Best in all of pinball! I'm not sure what my best bonus X shot is, but I wanna say it's around 100 mill. I'll have to check when I get home.

#7326 5 years ago

Do Walker bombs have an Add-a-ball effect during multiball?

2 weeks later
#7390 5 years ago

Can anyone confirm that the sizes of rings on Titan's Database are accurate for the Pro? I saw another thread just posted stating that what's in the manual is inaccurate and that they've spent $200 in extra rings that they didn't need (I'm not sure how that's possible?)

https://www.titanpinball.com/kits/index.php/browse/bygame/5679

#7392 5 years ago
Quoted from roar:

I'm not sure how that is possible either, I ordered from Titan recently, but double ordered, red and translucent because I couldn't make my mind up . I ended up going translucent.
These were my items:
[quoted image]
I also went with Titan's "skinny Stern post sleeves" which were indeed thinner than what was on my machine, which did impact game play a little.

I definitely see some discrepancies with your list and even the 4 lists on Titan's Database, with sizes listed and with QTYs. The QTYs aren't as big of a deal, since I would rather order a few extra than not have enough, but the sizes listed is what bothers me. So you used all of the sizes in that list, with the "Count" as you have, not the "Extra"?

#7394 5 years ago
Quoted from roar:

I ended up ordering extra beyond my extra when I was in there so I used all the size types for sure but I think there would be extra based on what I used. I saw the other thread for TWD and someone indicated that there was a change from the manual to a '7', but I'd need to cross reference my machine with what I ordered to see what a 7 is because I don't have a 7 on my list.

I saw that as well. Without a key to determine what the actual sizes are, it's not really helpful.

#7395 5 years ago

I will go based off of your list then. It better be right!

1 month later
#7509 5 years ago
Quoted from Monk:

Every once in a while I hit a drop target with a solid shot and it doesn't go down. I have tightened the springs that pull them down, which helped, but it still happens occasionally. Has anyone else had this happen and found a solution or is this just something to live with?

It happens on mine too. Also happens on classic Ballys, and the Stern Stars I'm babysitting. Basically, it just happens.

2 weeks later
#7553 5 years ago

I think the software could be improved to give more random action when the ball is held at the prison magnet. There's nothing worse than playing a kickass game only to have the game throw the ball SDTM. If i brick a shot and drain, that's my fault and I earned it. If i'm playing well, don't stop my groove and kill my ball.

Pop drains happen 2% of the time. Prison SDTM drains happen more than it ever should.

#7561 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Just the nature of magnets in a game. If the action was more “random” it would still throw it down the middle at some point.
One of the reasons why I’m okay with magnets being skipped in a game unless it’s like Oktoberfest and it’s to setup an upper flipper shot or feed the pops.

In most cases, the magnet doesn't even toss the ball though, it will just drop it or actively fling it SDTM.

My game is pitched properly and is level side-to-side. I've checked the front, and the back. I've rotated the core, rotated the magnet coil. I rarely get SDTM from the pops, which is a leveling issue if you do, but it's hit/miss for SDTM on the prison magnet. I would be 100% ok if the magnet had more action and throw it down the middle occasionally. Wolvie in XM does it sometimes (left outlane esp), but I can at least see activity of the ball. On my TWD, I see little or no activity. A 2 second ball-saver or more action is all that's really needed.

To your point, I may just turn it off, because it really doesn't do anything in the game other than give time to look at the animation, and screw me over lol.

#7563 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

When you rotated the core, how much did you do it? I took it from like noon to 2 o’clock and it licked it for me. Only other Idea I have is replace the core.

I think it was 1/4 turn (so like noon to 3). I couldn't do it too much, otherwise it wouldn't be level with the pf. I'm not sure replacing the core would really do anything, since it's just a hunk of ferrous metal. I would imagine it might be ok for a while, but at some point would start doing the same thing, unless materials are different than from what Stern used. We always talk about this to death lol, like zombies looking for flesh.

#7564 5 years ago

Pinball Life has stainless steel core magnet cores. Would these be the same as the ones that Stern uses? Or a different source/manufacturer?

Terry pinballlife - Would you know?

#7570 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

This whole discussion seems a bit like the movie groundhogs day. I'm sure I've heard it all before. That's not to say that it's not important because it is. And a couple of you complaining are close friends, so I trust that your experience is frustrating. TWD is one of my favorite games in my collection and would be among the last couple to ever leave. But, I would invite each and every one of you to come play my TWD premium and you wouldn't be saying 1 single thing about the prison magnet. I can count on one hand all the times my magnet has thrown the ball STDM when I play. I can't explain it... I've never done anything special to my game. Don't really pay attention to the left to right level or the pitch. Maybe I just got lucky on my initial setup. I really wish I knew what the difference was so everyone could replicate it and have the same experience. Same goes for the pops. I get maybe 1 out of 30-40 that goes down the middle... has to be exiting the pops at just the right speed. And typically when it's coming out at that speed, I realize it's going down the middle, but my reaction time is to late to slap save it. I'm sure better/quicker players could save most of those (even how few they are).

I will be there! lol

My pro isn't going anywhere any time soon. as a matter of fact, it is now the oldest game in my collection since I've started collecting (only about 2 years now?)

#7576 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

I’ve got a guest room with your name on it. As for the collection comment... hmmm, maybe we need to setup more of your games to throw the ball STDM. Maybe then you’d hold on to them longer!!

Space and money Tony. Space and money...

#7584 5 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Just installed an alt translite from Ministry of Pinball as the wife hates looking at the factory one. Aside from having to trim it a bit to fit it’s pretty well made. Wish it didn’t say “Limited Collectors Edition” which is kinda corny, but overall an improvement.
[quoted image]

Looks good! I need me a colorDMD (or 3)...

#7588 5 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

It's a slippery slope my friend, once you have one it's impossible to stop adding them to the others

I hear ya. But we're all collectors here (for the most part), so our asses have been down an even bigger slope already!

1 month later
#7650 5 years ago

I only saw a few pics, but has anyone put bloody hand/splatter decals on their TWD?
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07J4LDD2D/

#7653 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

The TWD over at Blue Moon Bar and Grill had blood splatter vinyl on it when I played it over a year ago if I remember correctly. At least that's my best recollection, but take that for what it's worth. Maybe kettchxxii might be able to tell you more or if they're similar to the ones you linked. I wanted to do this to mine after seeing his in person, but never got around to it.

I found a set for 4 bucks. If they look good, I can send you any extras.

#7663 5 years ago

I had the game reset on me after starting Horde. It ejected 2 balls, and about 15 seconds later the flippers died and it restarted.

I had just re-rubbered the game prior to this, and was one of my first test plays, (I really hate those dinky little pegs btw). I pulled the playfield out and had it resting in the cab, just right have the "hump" on the rails.

Anyone else have this happen to them? Any thoughts on what this might be?

#7666 5 years ago
Quoted from DNO:

Do you have the latest code?
There was a horde crash bug in earlier versions I think

yeah I'm on the latest code. Just really shitty because of course, I was having a great game

#7668 5 years ago

I bought a set for $4 from amazon, and used them on the ramps and hand prints on the glass. I did put a few on the pf glass near the upper corners, but I'm not sure I like them up there. It looks pretty good otherwise. Nothing sticks to the armor because of the finish, but not a big deal.

#7676 5 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

Thanks. After checking the manual, mine is set up correctly.
The weird issues are intermittent and therefore tricky to pinpoint.

What exactly are the issues? You said it was sticking and doing "funky" stuff...

#7679 5 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

1. if the ball is just sitting in the cross bow and not doing anything, that is a switch issue. Adjust the switch or replace it.
2. if the button will not launch the ball, that is also a switch issue, either related to #1 or an issue with the button switch. Does the button switch work in test mode?
3. Cross bow running continually is a home switch issue, adjust home switch or replace it. Basically, the motor can't find it's home position so it keeps moving to try to find it.
I think the manual has a diagram outlining the cross bow motor and its switches.

I would agree with this. It all sounds like switch issues to me as well. Adjust or replace; they all seem to be connected to one another.

If you're using your finger during test mode to activate a switch, and it works, try with a ball instead and adjust the switch so that the ball will activate it.

#7681 5 years ago

Got to Horde again last night (2 times in 3 days? The universe must be turning upside down!). The game didn't reset on me, so all seems ok??

Also changed the orientation of the magnet/core 180 degrees and it has more action, for now. I basically just unmounted and flipped it 180 degrees.

LOVE this game.

#7683 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I've gotten to Horde a few times, but I swear this game sucks balls for being intuitive on the rules. I still don't know how I collected all the weapons.

Basically doing well during modes will get you a Multikill, which will give you a weapon.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twd-club-only-walkers-not-welcome/page/58#post-3202060

A link to the rulesheet that explains how you can collect weapons.

#7684 5 years ago

From the rulesheet linked above:

MultiKill
The 6 "Multikill Weapons" lights in the middle of the playfield (the ones right below the Horde insert) are lit by doing well in modes. Each time you do one of the following, a Multikill Weapon will start to flash:
Make 2 shots in CDC
Make 2 shots in Riot
Make 2 shots in Tunnel
Make 2 (3?) shots in Arena
Make 3 (4?) shots in Barn
Finish CDC mode
Finish Tunnel mode
Complete 3 fish tanks (complete a tank, then hit the woodbury shot to re-qualify fish tank shots. They also re-qualify when you lose your ball)
10 drop target bank completions
Get 3 Well Walker jackpots
Get 4 prison multiball jackpots
Make 3 shots in Bicycle Girl (as of 1.41, you need not necessarily complete Bicycle Girl)
Score x combo’s
Score the bloodbath superjackpot.
The Multikill Weapon lights are lit at random (e.g. collect Barn in one game may light the "knife", next game it may light the "gun").
When you lose your ball, all of the flashing Multikill Weapon lights will light solid. If you light all 6 Multikill Weapon inserts, either solid or flashing, you will qualify for Horde (down to one ball). Hit Woodbury to start.

#7691 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I'm trying to "get" this game. It just doesn't click with me. I can walk up to any other game that I own and everything is very clear what to do. I don't get why everyone loves this code.
Is it because mine has the Cleland code with absolutely ZERO helpful callouts? Does the standard code have helpful callouts?

My approach:

Knock down drops on left to light a mode.
Start a mode that is easiest for you to shoot (for me it's Barn or CDC).
Continue lighting supplies (drops) to work towards Bloodbath + one of the other MBs (Well walker or Prison)
During this time, continue to try working towards getting Mulitkills to work towards Horde.

At some point, start a MB and stack Bloodbath when you're down to your last 2 balls. Bloodbath has add-a-balls.

Whilst doing all of this, you're working towards Seige, which is starting all 5 modes....AND you're also working towards Last Man Standing with walker kills.

If you are just working towards Horde, you're basically working towards the other 2 Wizard modes as well.

As far is the individual modes go, shoot the blinking shots. Basically explained in the Mulitkill section that I pasted above.

#7699 5 years ago
Quoted from roar:

You are actually working towards Terminus after starting all 5 modes, Seige is for completing Prison MB... which is impossible Still haven't done that... and I'm no where near LMS.

Thanks for the correction!

#7701 5 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

What’s the difference between Horde and Terminus?

You qualify Horde by collecting weapons, and as corrected above, you qualify Terminus by starting all 5 modes.

You collect weapons by getting Multikills, which can be done in a number of ways, which also include doing well in modes.

#7712 5 years ago
Quoted from spandol:

Can someone that has no mods on the outlanes take a picture of theirs for me? I have the larger red facetted type closest to the outlane and I want to get it back to factory. It uses the same post that is next to it right? Is it the one I have in the parts photo?
Thanks!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Yes, it should use the same post. You have the yoyokopter oulane mod installed too, if you didn't know.

#7714 5 years ago
Quoted from spandol:

Yeah, I know. I did both mods but didn't save the posts like an idiot. Want to make the game factory again.

If I've learned anything over my short time in the hobby, it's to save parts that aren't destroyed

#7748 5 years ago
Quoted from HIPPY:

On a premium, all gi are CPU controlled. The only steady burning lights are on the backboard. Looks easy to do on a Pro.

Just extend the leads with extra wiring to the backboard.

#7772 5 years ago

Coincidentally, I installed a colorDMD on my Pro last night that was already running the Cleland code. I installed the most updated chroma.rom and all was good. ColorDMD is the best mod of all time.

1 month later
#7848 4 years ago
Quoted from Indusguys:

I have looked through the manual repeatedly, I have asked my fellow pinsiders, I have emailed Marcos and a couple other pinball sources to see which switch I need to order to replace the micro switch under the Well Walker. I guess since no one wants to help me, I should ask, what question should I ask and where should I ask it so I can fix my $11,000 machine. Like fuck, is it that difficult to help someone out. I have a hard time thinking no one else has ever ordered this part before. And then for everyone who checks this thread to just skim through my post and not a single answer? I have never been this frustrated trying to fix such a simple problem. Please don’t reply back trying to tell me how to fix the fucking switch, it is broken, and I need a new one.

I literally spent 2 minutes. RTFM
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/180-5119-02

20190526_092942 (resized).jpg20190526_092942 (resized).jpg
#7856 4 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

That’s correct. I paid $7400 for my LE NIB.

Quoted from gweempose:

No. They weren't nearly that much. I believe I paid $7,400 for mine.

Likely its 11000 CAD which would put it around 8000 USD.

#7864 4 years ago
Quoted from Indusguys:

Hey everyone I asked 10days ago for the part number and no response except how to fix it. I decided to change the way I asked the question and all the sudden I got tons of responses. This is the way I intend on doing things in the future the more controversy I create a better chance of getting the question I want answered without waiting so long. I know a lot of you are pathetic and like to point out other people‘s flaws I can leave post like that all the time that give you something to do with your life .

Good to know. Last time I'll respond to help you with anything.

#7869 4 years ago
Quoted from Indusguys:

Oh no Fat Panda won’t help me anymore, what ever will I do. Please don’t do this to me, I will promise never to do anything without your permission again. I will make sure to PM next time just to make sure it’s OK .

It's obvious what you'll do. You'll ask for help and then throw a tantrum when it's not spoon fed to you. So bye Felicia.

1 week later
#7896 4 years ago
Quoted from flipordie:

Love the new remixed Backglass.
When I owned TWD I started this custom backglass awhile back. but I draw more in an illustrative style. Thought I'd share the start of it. Maybe its time to wrap it up.[quoted image]

Would love to see the finished glass!

1 month later
#8041 4 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Yes I do, and I thought that was the problem so I adjusted the weights, but even the flippers can trigger it. Just a quick question tho, I am not sure if my shaker motor is official stern. It has this bar that runs down the middle.. is that a cointaker shaker?

At this point I would replace the switch. Does it trigger when you pound the playfield with your fist?

#8045 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

This switch has already been replaced. But couldn’t hurt to have 4-5 extras to play around with.

If it's from the same lot, I wouldn't be surprised if they all behaved the same way. Might be a good idea to check with a different parts supplier, (if you got the switches from Pinball Life, try Marcos, etc.) TBH, I'm not sure if the lot# is printed on the switch at all. Just a thought. The switches should have a nice positive click.

#8048 4 years ago
Quoted from moonduckie78:

Hey gang. Need a little help.
My TWD Pro is only a few weeks old. Last night, I noticed this problem where the auto-launcher (is that what it's called?) is stuck in a forward position. Because of this, regular plunging is almost impossible. Got under the playfield and saw that the nut attached to the launcher is rubbing up against the screw that holds the launch lane switch in place, and preventing the launcher from returning to its normal retracted position. Sorry I don't know all the proper terminology! How can I adjust this? Didn't see anything loose down there.
Your help is greatly appreciated, sirs![quoted image][quoted image]

When you manually plunge it, is there a lot of play in the mechanism? I'll have to take a look at mine at home to see what might be happening. Check the other side of the "nut" to see if there's a C-clip that might be missing.

#8087 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I get bloodbath regularly. I'm not sure what to do when I get it.

I would recommend watching Bowen's tutorial on YT. It's on older code, but IIRC is largely the same. At least it's a good starting point. Someone also wrote up a very nice rulesheet. Read it then try to apply it in-game.

#8094 4 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

I'd go one step further and combine the mezelmodes pro aquarium light mode with the aquarium from the walking dead dvd set like a bunch of us did. It looks just like the Stern Premium/LE aquarium (with different heads). I documented my install earlier in this thread if I recall. Its a great visual indicator and the LEDS are controlled by the game rom.

The fish tank that I see has two tanks in it. How did you remove the bottom one with the 3 heads?

3 weeks later
#8191 4 years ago

I had my best of 58 walker kills the other day, mostly due to the best Prison/Bloodbath MB I've ever had. Made it to phase 2 of Prison MB. Ended up making to Horde that game, but still didn't top my best score (of a measly 455 mill). This is on a Pro. I'm not sure how people can get north of that. I also set my games up hard, but not that hard. Outlanes are closed as far as they can be, which isn't much lol. But everything else is pretty stock. Settings are factory. have had this game for over 2 years now and is my "oldest" game, and I still get excited to play it.

#8194 4 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

X management is the answer.

Believe me, I try to utilize it on the most valuable shots, but I either miss, or too busy trying to keep the ball alive lol.

#8209 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Don’t have this game anymore or else I would!

Sounds like you need to get another one!

#8226 4 years ago

It'll make her a better player. She'll have to learn that there are rules beyond "shoot the flashing light" and this game will force her to choose her shots as opposed to just flailing around. My wife and I were in the same position when we got our Pro. She didn't like it at first for the same reason, it was too hard. I kept it because I played it 90% of the time. Over time, she would put on games, I would give her pointers and tips, and now she's a better player partly because of it and loves it.

1 month later
#8318 4 years ago
Quoted from TomN:

I just traded for a premium and while I'm still in the honeymoon phase I will say it's very intense and keeps me coming back. Here's to hoping it has staying power. A question or two...My game has some custom sound that has replaced the factory clips. Some of it not safe for kids Lol...Is the original sound package really bad? Also thinking about putting a flipper rubber around the well walker to protect the belt area...Seems like it takes a beating.

There's a PG version of the sound mod somewhere. cleland is the pinsider that made the audio package. The original sound package has a lot of the redneck guy doing the callouts. You can hear some of them in the modded sound package.

The well walker does take a beating, but the decal on it holds up pretty well. If you still have the goodie bag, there might be an extra one in there. Or you could buy more.

congrats on joining the club!

#8326 4 years ago
Quoted from TomN:

Thanks...My wife was playing and heard the I'm going to beat the holy F.....F....F....F out of you and gave me a very strange look. I do hear the redneck guy and he reminds me of the dude from Big Buck Hunter a little. I don't see an extra decal but did see that you could buy them still. Just thinking it may need more. Awesome game...Left outlane is beating the living crap out of me.

LTG made a post a couple years ago about an "Adult" setting in the code? Might be worth checking out if you can turn it off without having to install new code. Links to two different threads.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/where-is-the-most-recent-cleland-twd-code

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/where-is-the-most-recent-cleland-twd-code-1

#8328 4 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

The adult setting is for the stock rom. The R rated audio that is in the adult cleland rom can't be changed with game settings since the audio files were changed. Cleland offered a PG version with a few of the choice zingers taken out (see referenced link below). best to just install the PG version since the actual show voices are way better than the stock rom and family friendly. Its nice we have choices!

that makes sense. I'm not sure why he referenced the Adult setting in regards to the Cleland rom though.

I've thought about installing the PG code too for guests, but it's me and my wife playing it 99% of the time. She minds it but not enough to stop playing it

1 week later
#8352 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

I felt like the ball was always ending up in the pops after a barn orbit shot so I added a thin piece of felt to the exit just above the entrance to the pops as others have suggested .
WHOA!! CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR!!!. no more dribbling out of the pops to a dead flip on the left flipper to a safe cradle on the right, now from a clean barn shot 90% of the time the ball comes flying down at speed to the left flipper where it must be contended with !
Improves the flow IMHO and adds to the brutality !!!

I've not heard of anyone doing this. Mine goes into the pops 100% of the time after a Barn shot. I thought that was by design.

#8357 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

I remember years back people putting felt in that area to do what you are mentioning. Sometimes I do feel like the design is flawed and it should come down to the flippers instead of the bumpers. I too have mine go to the bumpers 100% of the time.

I use this strategy occasionally during MB to get some balls hung up so I can concentrate on shooting 1 or 2 balls as opposed to 3 or 4. It's also a way for me to get switch hits for Well Walker MB (playing a pro so I don't have a spinner). I like being able to count on the fact that it'll go into the pops 100% of the time.

#8359 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Yea I hear ya. I have a pro also. I never changed anything myself but do see how people could think its a flaw as it does stop the flow big time..

I remember there was someone here a long time ago that wanted to disable the pops due to being hung up there after the plunge. We obviously agreed to disagree, but I think there's definitely some strategic value in them. That's why Lyman is awesome.

#8371 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Where is Cliffy? I placed an order in early July and still nothing. He told me back then he was backed up but wow..

He's around. Always very busy. If you send him an email, he'll get back to you. I would be surprised if you didnt get anything within a couple months. I've waited for 3 months (probably longer) before but he always delivers.

#8381 4 years ago

Barn shots are supposed to end up in the pops. In other Borg games like Aerosmith and X-Men, that have similar orbit shots (through the pops one way), the ball ends up in the pops out of an orbit as well.

2 weeks later
#8405 4 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

Is there any way in settings to extend the time the machine waits before it starts a ball search? Often when I'm shooting for the Supply/Weapon/Food drops, there'll be a long time in between any switch hits, and a lot of times I'll have one drop target left standing, and all of a sudden the effing machine will do a ball search and reset all the drop targets which infuriates me, hahaha. I bet there's nothing I can do other than if I think I'm getting close to a ball search, try to shoot a ramp before the search. I can't be alone on this, or am I?

I've had it happen to me once or twice. The only thing I can think of is...PLAY BETTER!

I believe it happened on Bowen's tutorial on YT, if i'm not mistaken.

#8421 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

have been wading through all 168 pages of this thread. bunch of good ideas for mods that i have used, found a great idea about replacing the prison zombie head, i think around post 4084 but i have not been able to go back and find the original pinsider to credit the idea( how does one search and find " post 4084"? )
messed around with it this weekend and made "prototype" horde to replace the zombie head using material i had laying around (which does not include a 3d printer!) i have limited artistic and fine tolerance skills but i like it!
'[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I would buy this if it ever becomes available. It looks great!

#8439 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

w/hair[quoted image][quoted image]

#8484 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I just started putting time back on this game and have reached Horde a few times recently. What makes it kick out more balls? Is it a time thing or certain shots?

When you complete the number of required shots per wave, you get a short ball saver and an add-a-ball, IIRC

I've been to Horde a few times since owning this game...one of the best mini-wizard modes of all time.

it is GREAT with a subwoofer!

#8499 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

arent most of the inserts lights white? Except for the red arrows..

Yes, most of the inserts, if not all, are white. When I bought my game, the previous owner had put in some colored LEDs in some of the inserts to break it up. Red under the walker kill inserts are the ones that I can remember off the top, plus some other ones (not rainbow puked). Looks really good and should have come from the factory that way. When I see the all-white inserts on location, I think the game looks odd.

#8507 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Really? I dont remember completing Bicycle girl and having the multikill go off. I thought multikill lit when you complete the mode ramp shots quickly. Not by just completing a mode (like bicycle girl).

you can get a MK from Bicycle Girl. You do not necessarily need to complete a mode in order to earn a MK. You just need to hit a certain number of shots in that mode. For example, you cannot finish Barn, bu you can earn a MK after 4-5 shots (can't remember exactly).

Similarly with Arena, you can make one shot and finish Arena with a Woodbury shot, but that alone won't earn you a MK. You need to get at least X number of shots (three I think) to earn a MK in Arena, but the mode will still continue until you finish it or it times out.

#8508 4 years ago

The rulesheet here is relatively accurate

I highly suggest reading it for some of the finer details of the code. Truly one of the best coded games of all time!

#8510 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

*if you can stay alive long enough....

idk man, I see scores in the +1 billion range, and I'm thinking I'm a terrible player in a sea of gods...and that this game is easier than what everyone says lol

#8512 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

I think its only if you do it in quick succession. Ive had plenty of modes where i complete them and dont get a multikill.
Edit! - I guess I am wrong lol. Ill have to pay more attention in the future.

Speed doesn't matter. Like I mentioned, some modes you can complete without getting a MK. Most of the time "doing well" in a mode will get you a MK.

Some other non-mode related things to earn a MK:
X #of combos
3 completed fish tanks
10 drop target banks
etc.

Lots of opportunities to earn MKs throughout the game.

#8556 4 years ago

For those with ColorDMDs, what are you using to fill in the gap left by the stand-off kit. Are you using the gasket that a pinsider makes or weatherstripping?

#8573 4 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

Cool will try that, thanks!

Also they flipping the magnet ring itself 180 degrees. (Not rotating, but flipping it so the back side faces the front.) Not sure why, but after doing that, my magnet throws SDTM much less. It actually flings the ball around.

#8582 4 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

I don't really know what I want to change... there's just too many white inserts I think - the three drop targets, all the weapons, the number of walkers killed, LMS, Horde (not that those two ever light up for me except in attract mode LOL), the mode lights, the crosshairs, the "bit" lights for the outlanes, the skillshots, the Tower target. I don't want to color bomb it, I just want to try adding a little more color to at least one of those groups, just not sure what exactly because I don't want it to look like clown puke either...
Thanks for the offer - I'm not looking to move fast on this, but might take you up on it after the holidays! PM incoming.

I find comet LEDs to be the best bulbs you can get for pinball. I always go with 2SMD frosted top for whatever bulb I go with. The previous owner of my machine changed the color light for the inserts and he did a great job. I'll get a pic posted later trying to capture all of the changes.

#8584 4 years ago

The colors are much richer than what the pic shows. There's also a reflection of one of the can lights over the right sling.
20191120_170943 (resized).jpg20191120_170943 (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#8627 4 years ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

I'm looking to install a color DMD in my machine but the speaker panel looks like it has a red window for the display. What do you do if you're wanting to install a color DMD in a Walking Dead machine?

You will need this kit for the metal speaker panel.

http://shop.colordmd.com/clear-shield-and-mounting-standoffs-for-new-stern-cabinets/

#8631 4 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

This kit comes when you buy the color dmd..

It doesn't, you have to buy it separate. My game has a metal speaker panel, and unless yours is different, you should have had to install it too.

#8638 4 years ago

Soo....as I've said, you'll need to buy the kit.

1 month later
#8757 4 years ago
Quoted from mannymasy:

Hello friends. I would like to know how you have set the level of the machine so that when the ball falls from the bumpers it does not enter directly into the sump .... I have it like that ... but it seems that it is not the right level[quoted image]

This measures the steepness of the game, not left to right. Though the steepness of the game may affect how the ball comes out of the pops, I would think that the left/right level would affect it more. Check the level in between the flippers and up near the prison as well.

1 month later
#8828 4 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

Stupid question, but why does this ramp have a notch cut out of it? Is it actually possible to shoot it so that it doesn't have enough momentum and this falls back and into the playfield instead of continuing to the inlane? This is the ramp on the left most part of the game. (The Arena shot). I never noticed this until today when I was cleaning the machine.
As an aside, I'm terrified to wax this thing... I suck at it already, and waxing makes the speed go even higher.... Lol[quoted image]

I have had airballs fly onto that part of the ramp, roll back, and out the notch.

#8831 4 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Maybe you shouldn't let your cats walk all over the machine then...

Damn it autocorrect Fixed it.

1 month later
#8938 4 years ago

I found that what helped me with the prison just dropping the ball SDTM is taking the magnet ring and flipping it 180. Not rotating it, flipping it. I found that turning the metal core didnt do anything. YYMV. I couldn't tell you why mine works after flipping it but it flings the ball much more than it ever did before.

#8949 4 years ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

Hmm. This sounds promising. I'm trying to visualize quite what you mean by "flipping it 180." I will have to investigate. My solution to this point has simply been to disable the magnet. Thanks for the tip.

If one face of the magnet is "heads" and the other face is "tails", you're going to flip it so that the tails side and heads side are opposite. Does that help?

1 week later
#9011 4 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

Ive come close several times but havent quite made it yet...

Dont feel bad. I've made it to Horde, but only once every 50 games or so. It doesnt come by often and I know what to do. Dont worry about it. As long as you're having fun and keeping at it.

1 week later
#9048 3 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I'm surprised to hear that Stern is actively trying to block Pinball Browser form working. I think the software has actually helped them to sell more games. TWD and GoTG would be two examples.

Yeah, kind of sucks, and to counterpoint, I am the owner of the machine, therefore I should be able to do what I want with it. To add, I think the big thing was people selling their services or sound packages and making money off of them. I'm sure if money wasn't involved, it wouldn't be an issue.

With that said, I wonder if Stern sent out any C&D letters. I can think of one person advertising their music mixing services.

4 months later
#9471 3 years ago
Quoted from Tuxedomask23:

Thanks for the help! What do you mean by twisting the rollovers? Unfortunately even slow plunging works intermittently.

Unmount the rollover, rotate it 180 degrees and mount it again. I needed to do this to one of my rollovers for it to register.

2 months later
#9595 3 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

Joining with a premium. Installed a pin2dmd and some mods coming for fun.. this is a pin I see where a good amount of mods available all look pretty cool.
Curious about those that have installed upgraded speakers — do they make a big difference? I could go for a bit more bass over stock, but not sure if upgrading is worth it..

Go with an external sub. That'll round out the sound pretty well (afterall, its really only missing the low end), and it'll be cheaper if you can find a used one. I've gotten many Polk PSW10's for $50 on CL or FB Marketplace. Also check out the Cleland sound package if yours came with stock code.

2 months later
#9770 3 years ago
Quoted from jvivlemore:

Hi Everyone! I just purchased my first pinball, a TWD Pro! I'll be picking it up this week or next week.
I was hoping those of you who have moved this thing could offer some advice to a newbie like me?
I can get pretty much any vehicle from Enterprise at a discounted rate so I'm looking at options there. I've looked through the pinwiki and some of the newer vehicles like the RAV4 are missing so figured some others here either have these vehicles or have done this same exact thing and have advice. The minivan is definitely big enough but like others have told me it's super low which can make loading and unloading more difficult plus I will have a lot of room where it can move around during the drive which is going to be long.
I can't find any measurements of what this thing is folded up to take them to the rental car lot and start measuring to figure it out that way.
Options:
Midsize SUV (RAV4 or similar)
Standard SUV (Nissan Frontier or similar)
Standard SUV (Ford Edge or similar)
Full Size SUV (Chevy Tahoe or similar)
This will also be my FIRST pinball move. It's being loaded by someone who knows them thankfully but once I get home it's all on me and my wife to unload.
Your input would be greatly appreciated!

Check this thread here
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vehicles-that-a-pinball-machine-fits-in

If your specific vehicle isn't listed, you can always search the thread for key words, or find some other outside (of pinside) dimensional data. Most "standard" size SUVs should fit (like what you have listed above). The main measurement is the height of the hatch opening to the floor should be at least 31".

3 months later
#10059 2 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I turned my magnet. Didn't notice a difference.

Try to flip it. Head to tails flip, not just rotating it.

2 months later
#10219 2 years ago
Quoted from Gogojohnnyquack:

Absolutely! It turns the machine into a walker! I also highly recommend adding an external sub, it brings the sound, shaker, and game play all together in a way I haven't experienced in another game. It is like a full-on battle when the ball is in the pops. And wait until you start Horde for the first time with this setup...!

Also, don't forget the Cleland code if you want callouts from the show in the game.

As far as LEDs go, if they're flickering down by the flippers, you might need to take off the flipper mech and resolder the wiring to the socket. Pretty common IME on Stern games, for whatever reason. Probably from vibrations.

If it's somewhere else in the game, the LEDs might be cheaper/poorer quality. Would be time to go with Comets.

3 weeks later
#10295 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

All led companies need to discontinue them to save pinheads from themselves.

Or they could just use fewer LEDs and have frosted tops on them. For whatever reason, they only come with a minimum 8 LEDs and they are exposed. I would say 5 LEDs with a frosted top and they would be just fine.

3 weeks later
#10388 2 years ago
Quoted from Cento:

Has anyone seen the cool blood splattered glass that Refinery Pinball used on some of their walking dead machines? I was wondering if anyone has had any experience trying to stain the glass themselves? And are willing to share what they used to do so, maybe a clear epoxy with a red dye maybe?

I used these
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H2H9TLP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title

4 months later
#10663 2 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

What is the point of a spinner if the game doesnt actually recognize it?

Who doesn't like a good spinner rip?

satisfied-so-satisfying.gifsatisfied-so-satisfying.gif
#10674 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

i would not hook them up to a drop target, hooked them to the left prison door target, ( it gets hit all the time on errant riot or prison door shots ) . i have not seen them have a big effect on scoring or make the game much easier.

Prison door targets activate the 2X pf target, no?

if anything, I would choose a rollover switch, something that is pretty inconsequential and has minimal scoring impact.

#10678 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

i think yes hit each stab and then the riot/tower shot? for me the left gets hit a lot by accident so i put the spinners there , the right stab is more an aimed shot for me.
i usually play more to get to the wizard modes than for score but for me one of the great things about twd code is all the scoring intricacies as well, i should pay more attention and plan more for the 2x and x lit shots but i almost always fail at the mega multiplied money shots

I hear ya. The 2X shot/Riot shot is pretty difficult. I've tried hitting from the left flipper and also from the ricochet off of the WW...about 50/50 spilt on success between the 2, probably about 50% of the time, so do the math lol. It can be a game changer though, stacked with your X shot (they can be stacked right? lol)

Anyway, for me personally, if I were to do this mod, I'd tie it to a star rollover just to have minimal impact on the game. I don't always have 2X lit, and I think that if I tied it to the spinner, I would always have it lit, which could impact scoring on the game.

2 months later
#10828 1 year ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Is it possible to adjust the skill shot rollovers? My bottom one only registers about 10% of the time, typically only on a slow roll.
Also, my auto plunge is very inconsistent. Typically the ball makes it to the 2 lanes, but regularly when “crossing over” it hits the post (too high), and sometimes hits the lower pop (too low). If it was only one or the other, I would think adjusting the angle of the curved ball guide from the shooter lane would help, but when it misses both high and low, that wouldn’t seem to be the issue. Right?

Mie was behaving the same way when I first got it, and my solution was to rotate the rollover 180 degrees. The mounting holes should be the same IIRC. that was a long time ago.

And as suggested, check the auto plunger fork. If you have cliffy shooter lane protectors, check to make sure the alignment of the protectors doesn't create a big lip over the cutout on the shooter lane.

1 month later
#10866 1 year ago

Experienced a switch problem for the first time since owning this game for almost 5 years. We had friends over to play for the first time in a really long time and of course, it decides to act up, when it otherwise played perfectly for me prior to that. Anyway, the prison opto would trigger randomly. After doing a switch test, the prison opto would trigger with the star rollovers. Turns out one of the connectors was loose, but still attached. I reseated the connector and it's working fine again. So weird that it would behave that way!

Anyway, if anyone comes across this problem, check your star rollovers.

1 year later
#11766 48 days ago
Quoted from punkin:

Thank you, they do come up at start of game, but not on completion.
I'll look and see if i can clean the opto, are they under the playfield or on top?
If they need work i'll have to wait till my mate who tech's for me is here.

If they pop at start but don't reset after completing, then it's likely an opto/switch issue. Can you qualify modes during a game or does it light one of the drop inserts?

3 weeks later
#11775 27 days ago
Quoted from Bugsy:

I'm having an issue with the magnet on my game throwing the ball SDTM after the prison multiball animation. I have read about loosening the nut on the magnet and turning the magnet a bit, but even after doing that it's always the same outcome, SDTM. I have tried turning the magnet very slightly clockwise and counterclockwise. I have tried a full 90° turn, 180° turn, 45° turn, etc, but it doesn't change anything. I have also tried using the flippers during the animation, but again, just SDTM.
Occasionally if it doesn't throw it SDTM, the ball will be right at the very, very tip of the flipper which is technically playable. But even then if I do get a flipper on it, the ball is typically out of control and results in a very quick drain.
Does anyone have any other suggestions? I'm really at a loss because no matter what I try, it's always the same result.

I flipped my magnet (like a coin) and that fixed it for me.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

6,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, OH
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 8.95
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.00
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Newton, NJ
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

9,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sacramento, CA
$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Moravia, NY
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider FatPanda.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twd-club-only-walkers-not-welcome?tu=FatPanda and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.