Topic Stats

• 8,768 posts
  • 581 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by mannymasy
  • Topic is favorited by 198 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,486 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20200116_174106 (resized).jpg
093A15C4-6171-43C2-A97F-76640B8CF68E (resized).jpeg
20200116_143425 (resized).jpg
032 (resized).jpg
009 (resized).jpg
014 (resized).jpg
005 (resized).jpg
013 (resized).jpg
004 (resized).jpg
011 (resized).jpg
008 (resized).jpg
024 (resized).jpg
006 (resized).jpg
IMG_3248 (resized).jpg
IMG_3247 (resized).jpg
IMG_3290 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

10 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 8768 posts in this topic. You are on page 84 of 176.
#4151 2 years ago
Quoted from Taygeta:

Anyone upgraded from the pro to Premium/LE? Thoughts?
I love the added magnet to the wellwalker and drop target to Woodbury. Crossbow is ok. Don't feel the lit arrows/color changing LEDs are as well integrated as on other Stern premiums.
Do not care for Bicycle Girl ramp from my short time on the premium but think I could like it more over time. Feel it kills flow since I'm used to my pro.

I have played a pro consistently since the game was released. Love it.

I recently did a temp trade with a buddy and I have put about 500-600 games on his premium in the past month. Overall, the premium is better due to the light show and walker bombs.

The main thing I dislike about the premium is that left ramp. The pro is so much better in that respect. Even after doing the mods that make the prem ramp smoother, still doesn't touch the satisfying feel of the pro left ramp.

I'd take the prem for sure if I got one, and I didn't think I'd ever say that. Always thought the pro was better until I got a prem in my house.

#4152 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Even after doing the mods that make the prem ramp smoother

Did the premium you played have the ramp extension on it?
Probably not, as that mod is the one that really makes the difference.

#4153 2 years ago
Quoted from T7:

Did the premium you played have the ramp extension on it?
Probably not, as that mod is the one that really makes the difference.

Ill believe it when I see it. Got a video? Just don't see how a ramp that has a flap in it can be as smooth as one that is one piece.

Found it. Yeah my ramp doesn't move or anything and is smooth as can be. It's just not like the pro. Pro feels better. Also agree that hitting the bicycle girl head is very unsatisfying. But small price to pay for the better overall game.

#4154 2 years ago
Quoted from stoptap:

Doesn't this happen to Keith Elwin on his YouTube video of the game ?

Looked it up and you are correct.

At the end they mention that the game "rolls over" at around 4.2 or 4.3 billion. I can't believe that a modern pin can be rolled like that. Weird and disappointing.

My prior high score (from the first time I got to LMS and defeated it) was 3.85 billion.

I wonder what my score was?

#4155 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I have played a pro consistently since the game was released. Love it.
I recently did a temp trade with a buddy and I have put about 500-600 games on his premium in the past month. Overall, the premium is better due to the light show and walker bombs.
The main thing I dislike about the premium is that left ramp. The pro is so much better in that respect. Even after doing the mods that make the prem ramp smoother, still doesn't touch the satisfying feel of the pro left ramp.
I'd take the prem for sure if I got one, and I didn't think I'd ever say that. Always thought the pro was better until I got a prem in my house.

I'm the complete opposite. Owner a prem for a few months. Tons of plays. Every time I play a pro on location I absolutely love it. Love the smoother, faster gameplay. Feels less unpredictable and just meshes better for me.

If I ever own Twd again, it'll be a pro.

#4156 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Ill believe it when I see it. Got a video? Just don't see how a ramp that has a flap in it can be as smooth as one that is one piece.
Found it. Yeah my ramp doesn't move or anything and is smooth as can be. It's just not like the pro. Pro feels better. Also agree that hitting the bicycle girl head is very unsatisfying. But small price to pay for the better overall game.

I just added T7s ramp flap extension and it works great! My left ramp is now nearly as smooth as the Pro and I am completely satisfied with my left ramp now. I made adjustments before to add the shorter post and level it up which helped but it still was a nuisance until I added the extension. It's too bad Stern didn't design the ramp flap an extra 1/2 inch from the factory as it would have made it a moot issue. Adding Gneissels Bicycle Girl light helped make the BG shot more satisfying as well since you can now see what you're bashing. That should have been there from the factory.

Now that my left ramp works perfectly and my crossbow functions 100% (it was flaky when I got it) there really is no weak spot on the LE/Premium. I've played 100s of games on the Pro and a well adjusted Premium beats it in every way. Pro is still excellent but Walker bombs and all the extra features on the Pre adds more strategy and takes the game to another level.

#4157 2 years ago

Joining the club with my first NIB pin! Pretty stoked on it so far except for the horrible call outs. Hopefully looking to update that to actual voices or something very soon

IMG_5566 (resized).JPG

#4158 2 years ago
Quoted from Its_me_aj:

Joining the club with my first NIB pin! Pretty stoked on it so far except for the horrible call outs. Hopefully looking to update that to actual voices or something very soon

Congratulations on your 1st NIB and what a pin literally picked one of Stern's best as your 1st NIB that's going to tough to beat with NIB no.2

#4159 2 years ago
Quoted from Its_me_aj:

Many sound packages to choose from - https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/walking-dead-le-sound-replacement-v-09

#4160 2 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Joined with a pro. Looks like I've got some catching up to do! Def want new sound, they have that for Pro models, right?

You came to the right place. Responded.

#4161 2 years ago

Replaced the stock black LE head molding with red. (Repurposed from my BM66LE )

LE really should have shipped with the blood splatter and red molding.

IMG_0945.JPG

IMG_0947.JPG

#4162 2 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Looked it up and you are correct.
At the end they mention that the game "rolls over" at around 4.2 or 4.3 billion. I can't believe that a modern pin can be rolled like that. Weird and disappointing.
My prior high score (from the first time I got to LMS and defeated it) was 3.85 billion.
» YouTube video

Has to be a bug.

Worth dropping Stern an email as there is supposed to be one final update.

Guessing Lyman knows about it but ya never know!

#4163 2 years ago
Quoted from Radagast:

My understanding is that you can "roll the game" just like with an old-school EM. In other words, there is a max possible score the programming can handle and then it resets to zero. If I had to guess, the max score might be 8,589,934,592, which is 2^33, but I could very well be wrong.

The score "rolls" just after 4Billion (2^32 = 4,294,967,296) To compensate and show you that you have rolled it, the last digit will be a 4, instead of 0. roll it twice and the last digit will be an 8.

Quoted from RobT:

However it doesn't then allow you to enter a highscore, as it basically takes 4Bil off your score. To work out your final score, just add 2^32 to your displayed score, and subtract the extra 4

I've done it once - on a Pro. Every other time I've seen it done it's been done on a Prem. "Has anyone else rolled on a Pro?"

#4164 2 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I'm the complete opposite. Owner a prem for a few months. Tons of plays. Every time I play a pro on location I absolutely love it. Love the smoother, faster gameplay. Feels less unpredictable and just meshes better for me.
If I ever own Twd again, it'll be a pro.

Dammit SKB! I thought we had completely aligned pinball tastes. Haha

#4165 2 years ago

You guys putting up 4B on this game are incredible. Mine plays so difficultly that it's a fluke to get over 60-70 kills and say 600m or so. I've had a pro at my house and he didn't blow it up either. Are you guys that are rolling it, also pros, competing for years?

...there's just so many drains you can't do anything about- esp when the ball really wants to go home to its trough and you already had to use two warnings...

#4166 2 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

You guys putting up 4B on this game are incredible. Mine plays so difficultly that it's a fluke to get over 60-70 kills and say 600m or so....there's just so many drains you can't do anything about- esp when the ball really wants to go home to its trough and you already had to use two warnings...

While the 4 BIL scoring limit is wacky, I'm not overly concerned about it given my current ability level on TWD.

I'm in awe of anyone that can attain this score and amazed by how easy Keith Elwin makes it look!

#4167 2 years ago

Where can I buy the flap extension for the premium left ramp?

#4168 2 years ago

Scores start to rise very quickly when you have a lot going on, especially if you have the 2x pf scoring going during a mb. My high is 630mn with like 80 kills. Never been to LMS, been to Horde a few times. Keep in mind it matters how people set their games up. My outlanes are very tough, even on factory settings. People could also have more extra balls set up.

#4169 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yes - there is a video in the TWD ramp fix thread. All ramps have a flap on them - the fix simply makes it a longer flap. And it's attached in a way that is just as secure/firm as the original flap, with added support.

You need to try a game with this fix installed to see the difference.

It changes the steepness of the ramp to be like the Pro. That is why it "feels different" as you say, because the normal Premium ramp disrupts the ball flow due to a greater steepness of the ramp - specifically where the ramp meets the playfield. This is much better than just making the ramp solid - which is the original fix I came up with (adding foam padding), before Stern started providing the same.

NOTE: The TWD ramp is different than a screwed down ramp like GB, since the ramp on TWD Premium is not screwed down, it has a less friendly initial curve. The ramp extension makes the left ramp flow just like a Pro if you get the large version.

#4170 2 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Keep in mind it matters how people set their games up. My outlanes are very tough, even on factory settings. People could also have more extra balls set up.

All my games are set up completely on factory (except freeplay :-0) to me, anything else is cheating, but I appreciate that people can set their games up how they want. I often see pics from people I know with massive scores, but when it comes to competition they just can't do it. It does make me wonder how their games are set up at home.

Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

While the 4 BIL scoring limit is wacky

It's not uncommon to get mode scores over 100mil with a MB running, which in turn adds 5mil to the multikill bonus. Then take that into another MB and you're set for a fantastic score. Completing LMS almost guarantees an additional 1Billion, such is the scoring.
If I'm going for LMS, I play completely differently than if I'm playing in a comp, it's about taking the risks rather than the safe points. It often ends up with scores below 50mil, but when it does go well, it goes REALLY well.
I think what makes it much harder to get the big scores on a Pro, rather than a Prem, is the lack of the spinners as well as no action lockdown button so no walker bombs. Every shot must be made.

As noted points rack up very quickly the further into the games you get, almost exponentially.

Quoted from ATLpb:

I've had a pro at my house and he didn't blow it up either. Are you guys that are rolling it, also pros, competing for years?

I'm certainly not a Pro, as there's no money outside of the US for the vast majority of competitions. Only been playing 5 years since rediscovering pinball after a 20 year gap. But without wanting to come across as arrogant - I would definitely say I'm a good player. Finished 2nd yesterday in the A Division of the UK League, and have a fair few competition wins under my belt. Non US players just don't show on the IFPA rankings as there's not enough big points tournaments unless you're prepared to travel vast distances to other countries every other weekend, and the expense that occurs.

#4171 2 years ago
Quoted from Pmaino:

Where can I buy the flap extension for the premium left ramp?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-twd-lepremium-left-ramp-fix

- or just PM me.

#4172 2 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

You guys putting up 4B on this game are incredible. Mine plays so difficultly that it's a fluke to get over 60-70 kills and say 600m or so. I've had a pro at my house and he didn't blow it up either. Are you guys that are rolling it, also pros, competing for years?
...there's just so many drains you can't do anything about- esp when the ball really wants to go home to its trough and you already had to use two warnings...

I should add- I'm pretty damn good at the game, get to Horde fairly regularly. I've asked this before and ppl always bring up multipliers and tower 2x. But that only goes so far when balls want to say bye bye. I'm on factory. I Get 100-200M all the time but this 4B is just in the clouds to me. Kudos to those who can pull it off.

Seeing pics of scores in this range make me a lot less impressed with Keith to be honest. I thought he was one of a kind, but apparently there are more of you out there.

#4173 2 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

I should add- I'm pretty damn good at the game, get to Horde fairly regularly. I've asked this before and ppl always bring up multipliers and tower 2x. But that only goes so far when balls want to say bye bye. I'm on factory. I Get 100-200M all the time but this 4B is just in the clouds to me. Kudos to those who can pull it off.

Agreed. When I solicited help from iceman on getting to LMS he said that getting the tower extra ball is crucial. Haha. That is ten tower hits. I think I've gotten 3 tops. I've almost gotten the 60 kills EB. ONCE. Haha

#4174 2 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

Seeing pics of scores in this range make me a lot less impressed with Keith to be honest. I thought he was one of a kind, but apparently there are more of you out there.

But remember many alter their games to make it easier - settings, more balls, bringing in outlanes. So, it can be like comparing apples to oranges.

#4175 2 years ago
Quoted from WJxxxx:

It's not uncommon to get mode scores over 100mil with a MB running, which in turn adds 5mil to the multikill bonus. Then take that into another MB and you're set for a fantastic score. Completing LMS almost guarantees an additional 1Billion, such is the scoring. If I'm going for LMS, I play completely differently than if I'm playing in a comp, it's about taking the risks rather than the safe points. It often ends up with scores below 50mil, but when it does go well, it goes REALLY well.
... As noted points rack up very quickly the further into the games you get, almost exponentially.

Yeah - I've noticed in Keith Elwin's (and others') TWD videos how the point values really climb as you advance deeper into the game. I need to dedicate more time to learning the fine points of TWD's code. I have a basic overall knowledge of the rules, but find that half the time, I don't understand what Keith is talking about regarding scoring strategy and sequencing.

That and improving my shot making percentage. My high score to date is only 425 MIL and my typical strategy so far has been to go for stacking Bloodbath MB on top of a Prison or Well Walker MB. Unfortunately, I'm usually so busy just trying to keep them going and continuously hitting the drops, that I don't look up the playfield and focus on my other shots as much as I should. I've made it to Horde a number of times, but it always seems like it's due to luck as much as skill.

That's what's so great about modern games with great code though: there's no rush to super high scores! The fun for me is in the journey of discovering new features and strategies while working on particular shots, combos, and flipper skills.

#4176 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Agreed. When I solicited help from iceman on getting to LMS he said that getting the tower extra ball is crucial. Haha. That is ten tower hits. I think I've gotten 3 tops. I've almost gotten the 60 kills EB. ONCE. Haha

Don't forget the extra ball from Woodbury. It takes a bunch of Woodbury shots to get that as a prize, but it helped me get to LMS.

IMG_0061 (resized).JPG

#4177 2 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Don't forget the extra ball from Woodbury. It takes a bunch of Woodbury shots to get that as a prize, but it helped me get to LMS.

Let me guess. 10? Haha. I've seen double bit value. None of the others. I think these shots are just not safe enough for me to keep the ball alive for that long. Factory settings is pretty damn tough on this. Even the cheater bombs didn't help me as much as I thought they would.

#4178 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Let me guess. 10? Haha. I've seen double bit value. None of the others. I think these shots are just not safe enough for me to keep the ball alive for that long. Factory settings is pretty damn tough on this. Even the cheater bombs didn't help me as much as I thought they would.

Cheater bombs are my first priority. Collect a couple of each and make sure you are 1 or 2 shots away from starting WW or Prison Multiball. It's essentially an extra ball, plus knowing it is there to save you if you drain takes the pressure off. I don't go for any other shots until I have at least one multiball primed to save my ass when I miss a risky shot.

#4179 2 years ago

I never try and stack bloodbath when trying for LMS. In MB my only focus is walker kills.
If you don't stack you get an "extra" MB.

I always take CDC and Arena as my first modes, then Barn, as they're the easiest to get multi kills from. It also means if you do start tunnel or riot those 3 "easier" shots add to the modes scoring, again helping ramp up scores.

Woodburn skill shot is also a fairly safe shot to both light and collect as the ball is always in control.

Shooting the drops, well walker and prison puts the ball out of controll. That's why I avoid them in single ball play.

#4180 2 years ago
Quoted from WJxxxx:

Shooting the drops, well walker and prison puts the ball out of controll. That's why I avoid them in single ball play.

Thx for chiming in guys. Now I'm more confused. How the bleep are you starting modes or MBs (anything really) if you're never going for the drops/prison/well walker in single ball play?

Seems highly paradoxical- unless I'm missing something? I mean just what the heck are you shooting for in single play? What's left if you're not going for the drops/ww/prison...? Just trying for a bunch of ramps and orbits and then bouncing into drops/prison/ww on accident. Very intrigued...

#4181 2 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

I mean just what the heck are you shooting for in single play? What's left if you're not going for the drops/ww/prison...?

Going for walker kills and lighting Woodbury, I'm not saying exclude going for drops, just don't make it your main focus. If you miss a ramp shot there's a good chance it's going to hit the drops as you try and get control again.

Just don't get locked in to a single strategy, the same applies to any game.

#4182 2 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Cheater bombs are my first priority

Shame that's not an option on the Pro

#4183 2 years ago
Quoted from WJxxxx:

Going for walker kills and lighting Woodbury, I'm not saying exclude going for drops, just don't make it your main focus. If you miss a ramp shot there's a good chance it's going to hit the drops as you try and get control again.
Just don't get locked in to a single strategy, the same applies to any game.

Gotcha-- Ok so ramps and orbits like crazy. I take it you begin to aim for a drop after you've accidentally knocked two of them down?

#4184 2 years ago
Quoted from WJxxxx:

I never try and stack bloodbath when trying for LMS. In MB my only focus is walker kills.
If you don't stack you get an "extra" MB.
I always take CDC and Arena as my first modes, then Barn, as they're the easiest to get multi kills from. It also means if you do start tunnel or riot those 3 "easier" shots add to the modes scoring, again helping ramp up scores.
Woodburn skill shot is also a fairly safe shot to both light and collect as the ball is always in control.

Interesting strategy. I imagine that having Walker bombs as an option would alter your perspective on shooting the drops.

#4185 2 years ago

Finally a big CDC and new X champ

#4186 2 years ago
Quoted from DavidPinballWizz:

» YouTube video

Sweet. I thought I had done well with my 242 million CDC score.

#4187 2 years ago

» YouTube video

god i really am awful at this game.

#4188 2 years ago

How on earth did you build up the CDC shots to 70 million?

#4189 2 years ago

One shot 282,000,000! Wow!

TWD is way better than I ever thought and I need to play way better.......

#4190 2 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Neil, don't beat yourself up. These guys are clearly anomalies. Their accuracy and consistency to be able to repeat these shots is basically robotic.

#4191 2 years ago

Nothing robotic.. been trying this cdc score for a year now. Lots of times close but always failed when trying to go for the big payoff on the left ramp.

I build the cdc value by looping the left ramp a lot and then go into multiball, shoot lots of shots and avoid the left ramp untill the value is really high. It sounds easy but is really hard to have the cards right.

#4192 2 years ago

Nothing robotic.. been trying this cdc score for a year now. Lots of times close but always failed when trying to go for the big payoff on the left ramp.
I build the cdc value by looping the left ramp a lot and then go into multiball, shoot lots of shots and avoid the left ramp untill the value is really high. It sounds easy but is really hard to have the cards right.

Dave, with all due respect, 5 scores above 1B and getting to Last man Standing when most struggle to complete 2 modes and get 20-30 kills and 200M+ with consistency is astonishing.

It doesn't sound easy at all. It sounds incredibly hard.

#4193 2 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Don't panic, there is a special club for us! We play Iron man just for the comedy value.

#4194 2 years ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

Don't panic, there is a special club for us! We play Iron man just for the comedy value.

I am going to kick the shit out of Iron Man this weekend. I have new flipper parts waiting to go in. I'm taking no prisoners with it.

I'll probably be back here on Monday with my tail between my legs.

#4195 2 years ago

Considering cancelling a BM66 order and joining the TWDLE club, decisions decisions

#4196 2 years ago

Crossbow is also worth a big payoff for a single shot, I think my X Champion is only about 2 million more as I didn't having anything else lit on the shot, just a walker kill.

The other bonus of shooting for walkers on controlled shots is that it's easier to up, and only cash in when a big shot is lit, this was an 8X shot

20170210_173243 (resized).jpg

#4197 2 years ago

Amazing Riot score, thought I was doing well on 250mil

My current focus is getting Crossbow Frenzy, I keep managing 3 Crossbow kills then bricking the shot to cash in.

#4198 2 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Considering cancelling a BM66 order and joining the TWDLE club, decisions decisions

I don't think you'd regret that decision. Walking Dead is sublime.

#4199 2 years ago

Yes my Riot score is indeed great Managed to do it once on another machine too.
I made a few 100M shots during that riot mode

Insane crossbow shot Wayne! Crossbow frenzy can be worth at lot too. Though hard to get cause you mostly go for the different drop target inserts.

#4200 2 years ago
Quoted from WJxxxx:

Crossbow is also worth a big payoff for a single shot, I think my X Champion is only about 2 million more as I didn't having anything else lit on the shot, just a walker kill.
The other bonus of shooting for walkers on controlled shots is that it's easier to up, and only cash in when a big shot is lit, this was an 8X shot

Unfortunately this isn't possible on a prem. You can only multiply a crossbow shot by the 2x playfield. Can't combine an inlane X with it.

Unless you disable the crossbow then you might be able too. Not sure.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
$ 19.95
$ 199.99
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
4,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cottonwood, AZ
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
There are 8768 posts in this topic. You are on page 84 of 176.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside