Topic Stats

• 8,589 posts
  • 570 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 hours ago by Jason_Jehosaphat
  • Topic is favorited by 200 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,453 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20191120_170943 (resized).jpg
20190619_205908-1 (resized).jpg
IMGA0114 (resized).JPG
IMG_4039 (resized).JPG
TWD art blades (resized).jpg
e grass (resized).jpg
zomheads (resized).jpg
s-l1600[2] (resized).jpg
twd pf (resized).jpg
2bcea80b978cd5536caec2e5853a5665c15c2bb6 (resized).jpg
IMGA0106 (resized).JPG
IMGA0103 (resized).JPG
IMGA0105 (resized).JPG
IMGA0104 (resized).JPG
IMGA0098 (resized).JPG
IMGA0101 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

10 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 8589 posts in this topic. You are on page 36 of 172.
#1751 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I've loved this pin from day one. Well over a year now. Playing through the evolution of code was fun too.
It's so immersive. The play is like the show, a constant battle to survive. The game should be brutal but not miserable.
It took me a long long time before I got it dialed in and my shot making fairly consistent.
It's one of those pins that makes you just want to beat it!
I focus on opening Prison and working on the targets right away. Even though WW is secondary, you can use him to buy some time with a multi ball and get more drops safely to get towards BB.
I like to stack Barn or Arena with Prison and BB.
Don't forget about that Tower EB, hitting the stab posts to light, especially the right one isn't easy but you have to remember to do it.
If you miss the arena shot you have to time a cabinet slap just right and you won't drain
The more you play you'll get better angle hits on prison head so you don't drain as much.
There are so many little nuances that help you survive. Like it should be. Fun learning those the more you play!
Don't worry, play it enough and one of these days it will all come together and result in your greatest game ever!

I dunno iceman I think your accuracy is several degrees higher than most of us considering you said your average is 200-300M and you've scored 4B

#1753 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I've loved this pin from day one. Well over a year now. Playing through the evolution of code was fun too.
It's so immersive. The play is like the show, a constant battle to survive. The game should be brutal but not miserable.
It took me a long long time before I got it dialed in and my shot making fairly consistent.
It's one of those pins that makes you just want to beat it!
I focus on opening Prison and working on the targets right away. Even though WW is secondary, you can use him to buy some time with a multi ball and get more drops safely to get towards BB.
I like to stack Barn or Arena with Prison and BB.
Don't forget about that Tower EB, hitting the stab posts to light, especially the right one isn't easy but you have to remember to do it.
If you miss the arena shot you have to time a cabinet slap just right and you won't drain
The more you play you'll get better angle hits on prison head so you don't drain as much.
There are so many little nuances that help you survive. Like it should be. Fun learning those the more you play!
Don't worry, play it enough and one of these days it will all come together and result in your greatest game ever!

I dunno iceman I think your accuracy is several degrees higher than most of us considering you said your average is 200-300M and you've scored 4B

#1754 3 years ago

Iceman probably does have some good points, but I feel his playing skill level exceeds the average/better than average pin players out there.

One thing is that it keeps me going. I don't want to sell it because I just can't throw in the towel. Must.. Win.. It. This morning I had one of those games which reminds me of why I need to get better at it.. scored my second highest score at 311M and was one multi-kill light away from Horde which I have never experienced.

As much as I love to hate this machine, it keeps me coming back and wanting to play it over and over again. This is simply NOT a machine for you to play with your friends- or an only pin- but for a 1 Player game its great. I just will refrain from messing with it or inviting people to play it when they are over as it doesnt seem to click in that situation with non-pinball hobbyists.

#1755 3 years ago

Kpg: make some set up changes until the game is fun for you. Some games are more brutal than others. As I said the LE I bought was way more frustrating than the premium I now own especially the pops.

Sdtm means *straight* down the middle. It's when the ball is lined up perfectly vertical and falls down the center. The prison is the only place this an happen in TWD. Otherwise you're coming in from an angle not straight. Most those angled shots do have some possibility of being deflected by a perfectly timed flipper even if it seems it doesn't.

Loosen your tilt. If your game is being cheap with you then set it so you can fight back. TWD isn't a game that deserves a tight tilt bob. Nudge it hard and enjoy saving those things that use to frustrate you. Learning to nudge is part of the game.

If the outlanes are frustrating then install one of the outlane post fixes. Learn to death save etc. If the pops are frustrating you then install some of those fixes. Dont be ocd about cheating or playing the game as intended. Sounds like your game is already not playing as intended. Pops should not drain more than 10% of the time for example.

#1756 3 years ago

I think when talking about the difficulty of the pin, you have to factor in both ball times and code complexity. For instance, while Iron Man may have slightly shorter ball times than TWD, there is so much more to do in TWD (perhaps excluding Do or Die Multiball) that TWD feels "harder" to me because it's intensely difficult to survive long enough to reach the major goals in the game. Iron Man is a fast and furious title, but the goals feel eminently achievable by comparison to TWD. I completely love both games, not intending to critique or preference one over the other, just a thought about it means for a game to be "hard".

#1757 3 years ago
Quoted from Radagast:

not intending to critique or preference one over the other, just a thought about it means for a game to be "hard".

As a previous IMVE owner, I'll do it for you.

TWD >>>>> IMVE

#1758 3 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Kpg: make some set up changes until the game is fun for you. Some games are more brutal than others. As I said the LE I bought was way more frustrating than the premium I now own especially the pops.
Sdtm means *straight* down the middle. It's when the ball is lined up perfectly vertical and falls down the center. The prison is the only place this an happen in TWD. Otherwise you're coming in from an angle not straight. Most those angled shots do have some possibility of being deflected by a perfectly timed flipper even if it seems it doesn't.
Loosen your tilt. If your game is being cheap with you then set it so you can fight back. TWD isn't a game that deserves a tight tilt bob. Nudge it hard and enjoy saving those things that use to frustrate you. Learning to nudge is part of the game.
If the outlanes are frustrating then install one of the outlane post fixes. Learn to death save etc. If the pops are frustrating you then install some of those fixes. Dont be ocd about cheating or playing the game as intended. Sounds like your game is already not playing as intended. Pops should not drain more than 10% of the time for example.

Great advice. I actually do not have any tilt bob on it at all, so no worries there haha!

I will report back once my post extenders are installed. I think the main reason this game is hard is because you need to hit the drop targets to start modes, then hit consistent shots to score big. That seems so hard if you keep draining after those dead features are lit - its one of the few games you have to "warm up" before anything big happens first, unlike a game like MET.

#1759 3 years ago

Wow, all the posts above seems like such a chore to get this game dialed in. Doesn't sound like fun to me. I enjoy me some TWD on location but with all the work people are doing on their home machines just to get some SDTM issues fixed seems wrong.

#1760 3 years ago
Quoted from yuriijos:

Wow, all the posts above seems like such a chore to get this game dialed in. Doesn't sound like fun to me. I enjoy me some TWD on location but with all the work people are doing on their home machines just to get some SDTM issues fixed seems wrong.

Some are worse than others .... mine was ok out of the box

#1761 3 years ago

I haven't adjusted mine at all, love it just the way it is. Play better!

Easy and fun games like AFM, while great fun to play at first, become boring in the long run.

TWD is an intense experience, avoiding sdtm's is part of that, it keeps you on the edge all the time.

#1762 3 years ago
Quoted from yuriijos:

Most are ok out of the box. TWD is worth being set up correctly.

#1763 3 years ago

After watching the latest episode of TWD, the pinball machine needs an Alexandria mode. That was just insane.

#1764 3 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Great advice. I actually do not have any tilt bob on it at all, so no worries there haha!

Then why are SDTM balls a problem? Give the machine a good nudge and without a tilt to worry about you should be able to save just about all SDTM.

#1765 3 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Then why are SDTM balls a problem? Give the machine a good nudge and without a tilt to worry about you should be able to save just about all SDTM.

Yeah you should actually never get a drain whatsoever, just move to machine early enough from side to side
But I have to ask...why no tilt bob? Thats like playing Quake on God mode..where the challenge

#1766 3 years ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

But I have to ask...why no tilt bob? Thats like playing Quake on God mode..where the challenge

Play TWD and it'll all make sense .

You won't take just the title bob out; you'll take the rod the tilt bob hangs on out as well to make 100% sure you cannot get a warning.

#1767 3 years ago

I have played the walking dead
And part of the game is getting that awesome warning alert, and see how far you can push it to save the ball without "going over" imo
Anyways, never understood the fun of playing without a tilt. its like playing golf with no par

#1768 3 years ago

Why no tilt bob? Because the game requires nudging so much that it would tilt out right away. It's hard as it is, it's probably the only pin that requires me to do so. I'm constantly trying to toss the machine all over the place to save the ball- and nudging rarely helps. SDTM's still happen because they are so fast- no chance to save them in many cases.

Nudging only seems to work for me on failed Arena ramp shots, pops/tunnel exits, and also exits from the Riot entrance. I don't see how nudging stops SDTM's on this game whatsoever.

#1769 3 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

After watching the latest episode of TWD, the pinball machine needs an Alexandria mode. That was just insane.

Assuming for a moment that TWD has a nice healthy run with a number of additional seasons that continue to be excellent, wouldn't this machine be a great candidate for the first true "sequel" pin in quite a while? Specifically, a follow up TWD pin could focus more intensely on the wonderful, complex characters of the show, who are basically absent from this machine. Perhaps the core "Walker kill" mechanic could be maintained/adapted as a tie-in? A new set of dead features based on plot elements from the later seasons? Probably just a pipe dream, but it seems like there's plenty of material here for more pinball.

#1770 3 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Why no tilt bob? Because the game requires nudging so much that it would tilt out right away. It's hard as it is, it's probably the only pin that requires me to do so. I'm constantly trying to toss the machine all over the place to save the ball- and nudging rarely helps. SDTM's still happen because they are so fast- no chance to save them in many cases.
Nudging only seems to work for me on failed Arena ramp shots, pops/tunnel exits, and also exits from the Riot entrance. I don't see how nudging stops SDTM's on this game whatsoever.

hey kpg- (again..GREAT initials..) I'm tempted to have wife take vid of me playing so you can see an example of nudging (sometimes) effectively. Sometimes a slap- sometimes a double slap, often for the prison a firm push slap. anticipation and failing to spectate are key

#1771 3 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

hey kpg- (again..GREAT initials..) I'm tempted to have wife take vid of me playing so you can see an example of nudging (sometimes) effectively. Sometimes a slap- sometimes a double slap, often for the prison a firm push slap. anticipation and failing to spectate are key

Thank you sir, I officially vote we have the best initials on Pinside! haha

I would love to see a video of how you use these methods on this game. Anything to help that would be cool. I don't know how I could explain to my wife how you have to beat the game up to play (she talks crap about me nudging any pinball, saying it never helps so what is the point) but if I can get it to work and make a difference I am up for it!

#1772 3 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Is there a written rule sheet for TWD Prem/LE?

Right here, my friend!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XNUs8fgLOB2hVBBzcsgxDvdEuBbGhRuwSJdkkeo1Xv4/edit

Its a community document, so feel free to add if you discover anything new, or you find a mistake.

#1773 3 years ago

I just sold the nicest Met Pro this side of the Mississippi (which I loved) in order to buy a TWD Premium. I have a feeling it was worth it.

1e587e89-bbdc-424e-8335-775578423ef9_(resized).jpeg

#1774 3 years ago
Quoted from NorCalRealtor:

I just sold the nicest Met Pro this side of the Mississippi (which I loved) in order to buy a TWD Premium. I have a feeling it was worth it.

I wouldn't have done that. I have a very nice modded Met Pro and it will be the last machine to leave my collecion. Right now, TWD Pro will be the second to last.

#1775 3 years ago
Quoted from Jodester:

I wouldn't have done that. I have a very nice modded Met Pro and it will be the last machine to leave my collecion. Right now, TWD Pro will be the second to last.

Currently arguing with myself over which of these will be my next machine. With a distant GoT pro whispering "pick me". First world problems...

#1776 3 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Currently arguing with myself over which of these will be my next machine. With a distant GoT pro whispering "pick me". First world problems...

Forget the whisper. TWD for the win.

#1777 3 years ago

I am sad to say met had not gotten played at all since the arrival of twd prem

#1778 3 years ago
Quoted from Jodester:

It was my funnest pin, but I tend to sell them all eventually (except LOTR). I'll know soon enough if it was a bonehead move. ETA is 2-3 weeks for my NIB TWD Prem.

#1779 3 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

I am sad to say met had not gotten played at all since the arrival of twd prem

Pretty much the same here.

#1780 3 years ago

I'm no stern fan boy by any means but after getting a TWD LE, I actually forgot I had other pins sitting here in my basement. I still don't think any of them have been turned on since TWD arrival.

#1781 3 years ago

I held off on that new paint job to buy TWD premium. Hopefully it gets here soon.

#1782 3 years ago

It was my funnest pin, but I tend to sell them all eventually (except LOTR). I'll know soon enough if it was a bonehead move. ETA is 2-3 weeks for my NIB TWD Prem.

You'll be keeping it for quite some time, buckle up! My Lotr has been sitting idle for quite a while now

If you are just starting out, make some adjustments, I wouldn't advise playing the code "factory" the way it is today. When I first started it was early code and it didn't really matter, i was just having fun playing and learning the shots. Give yourself some relief with extra ball save time and a few other adjustments while you are learning the rules.

I find that some finesse nudging goes a long ways towards plenty of saves, especially a soft touch in the side to side action that leads to the out lanes.

And getting to the point where you can hit all the shots on command is big obviously and if you do miss, a slight miss doesn't punish you as much. You nail those ramp posts and you'll find yourself draining quite frequently!

Get good at the Tower shot, there's an EB there, bring it down to 6 hits. And good luck getting 6 lighted hits that count towards MB.

Stay away from BG unless you have it stacked with MB, there aren't enough points worth worrying about there and its a dangerous shot if don't stay on top of that nudge.

#1783 3 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Thank you sir, I officially vote we have the best initials on Pinside! haha
I would love to see a video of how you use these methods on this game. Anything to help that would be cool. I don't know how I could explain to my wife how you have to beat the game up to play (she talks crap about me nudging any pinball, saying it never helps so what is the point) but if I can get it to work and make a difference I am up for it!

I exaggerate it a bit here (but just a little) so you get the point. Therefore one of two warnings aren't necessary. my tilt is fairly sensitive and my machine doesn't slide easily.

this is how you reduce chances of SDTM from prison door open magnet. L R slaps, flipper Zaniness (some call it pulsing) then pick a side to push slap if need be.

and pay no attention to my work in progress machine. : ( tick tock she'll be ready for prime time soon.

#1784 3 years ago
Quoted from e4mafia:

Right here, my friend!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XNUs8fgLOB2hVBBzcsgxDvdEuBbGhRuwSJdkkeo1Xv4/edit
Its a community document, so feel free to add if you discover anything new, or you find a mistake.

Huge thanks for this! I just read thru 10 pages of rules and now I feel like I have a way better handle of what going on!

#1785 3 years ago

A friend of mine has problem with his crossbow on his Premium. Half of the time it starts going out, but then stop halfway and goes back, is this a "normal" issue on this game?

Also, when disabled, I feel its strange that the behaviour is not mimicing the pro, as you shoot the crossbowramp but nothing happens. It should be able to light the "corssbow" shots which you then shoot with the flipper as on the pro

Just an observation

#1786 3 years ago

I am no idea how on earth this shaker motor fits in the premium? It fitted in IM and Metallica but as photo shows there does not appear to be room for it to fit? No way can I get plastic cover on with the counter where it is.....

Any suggestions please??

IMG_9361.JPG

#1787 3 years ago

If there's any game that should have had a gun shooter (like IJ / Shadow) it's TWD.

#1788 3 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

I am no idea how on earth this shaker motor fits in the premium? It fitted in IM and Metallica but as photo shows there does not appear to be room for it to fit? No way can I get plastic cover on with the counter where it is.....
Any suggestions please??

IMG_9361.JPG

What do you have a counter for? Did you buy this from an op? Just move it or get rid of it.

#1789 3 years ago

Get rid of the counter.

#1790 3 years ago
Quoted from RonB:

What do you have a counter for? Did you buy this from an op? Just move it or get rid of it.

I have no idea re counter - presume they are all like this from factory?

Thanks - at least I now know to take it out

#1791 3 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

I have no idea re counter - presume they are all like this from factory?
Thanks - at least I now know to take it out

No, they are not like that from the factory (unless added for overseas games?). Usually operators add those, that's why I asked if you bought the game from an op.

Looks like just two screws holding it in, move it or remove it.

#1792 3 years ago

Fitted now

Really great , essential mod for this game.

#1793 3 years ago

@RandomKG - Thanks for the video man !!

I *FINALLY* hit Horde mode yesterday! I had a mission to figure out what I am doing wrong yesterday, and after leveling my machine .2 degrees leaning to the left and watching this video here of a guy scoring 1.8 Billion in the game

- my next set of games I broke my all time score and hit horde mode, finishing at 480M. The guy in the video has some awesome nudging skills, and his strategy seems to work great. I think its better then the PAPA/Bowen video for showing you how to play this game, assuming you already understand the rules.

After that I was consistently scoring 100-150M and almost hit Horde again scoring 315M. This is definitely a pin that must be enjoyed once you improve your skills, it is definitely my favorite out of the 3 I own for sure.

#1794 3 years ago

Has anybody done any colorization for TWD with the SmartDMD display they might share? I have a spare kit that I would I to use on my machine but no skills to colorize.

#1795 3 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

@RandomKG - Thanks for the video man !!
I *FINALLY* hit Horde mode yesterday! I had a mission to figure out what I am doing wrong yesterday, and after leveling my machine .2 degrees leaning to the left and watching this video here of a guy scoring 1.8 Billion in the game » YouTube video - my next set of games I broke my all time score and hit horde mode, finishing at 480M. The guy in the video has some awesome nudging skills, and his strategy seems to work great. I think its better then the PAPA/Bowen video for showing you how to play this game, assuming you already understand the rules.
After that I was consistently scoring 100-150M and almost hit Horde again scoring 315M. This is definitely a pin that must be enjoyed once you improve your skills, it is definitely my favorite out of the 3 I own for sure.

Maybe time to put the tilt bob back in.

#1796 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

If there's any game that should have had a gun shooter (like IJ / Shadow) it's TWD.

No game should have had a gun shooter.

#1797 3 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Maybe time to put the tilt bob back in.

Funny thing is I just did that today

#1798 3 years ago

New high score...had 339 on ball 1 and hit horde on it.

20160217_201127_(resized).jpg

20160217_201126_(resized).jpg

#1799 3 years ago

Awesome score but it looks like you need to tone down the backglass light a little bit, seeing a lot of reflection off the glass.

#1800 3 years ago

Nah, Camera overstates it and I played (shot pic) in the dark, no issues with glare. I have a dmd glare guard too, notice how you can't see the dmd reflection.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 89.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
6,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
7,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Blacklick, OH
There are 8589 posts in this topic. You are on page 36 of 172.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside