IMG_3704 (resized).jpg
IMG_3705 (resized).jpg
IMG_3706 (resized).jpg
IMG_1728 (resized).jpeg
Pinside_forum_5037339_1681555 (resized).jpg
71lHsSkTFuL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_ (resized).jpg
642FBF80-01A5-4865-99E9-A333F11B1FA1 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 11,771 posts in this topic. You are on page 32 of 236.
#1551 8 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

in a small collection (and in a big one...) MET is the first game I'd get. MET is indeed a LOT more accessible for guests to boot. but I love met so much it's hard to pay attn to me ha...
TWD is awesome- esp prem/LE. it's a great 3rd+ pin. not a good 1st or 2nd pin imo. for what it's worth, TWD prem/LE has more moving parts and potential issues as well.

I agree with the above. MET is definitely a better first pin choice, but TWD compliments it so well.. So it should be your second!

#1552 8 years ago

Ok, dumb question here. I have a 5 year old and a 10 year old. Not too worried about the 10 year old but how about the little one playing TWD. Just being a protective parent, of course I don't let them watch the show, but I was concerned about the DMD animations for a little 5 year old. Can they be changed at all in the settings. Maybe I'm overthinking it a bit. I turned off the bad language on my star trek, it wasn't too bad but had a few words occasionally. Maybe those without kids wouldn't quite understand these concerns, haha.

#1553 8 years ago

The walking dead is more of an in depth, long ball game. Met is a little opposite of that? Wondering if MET would play more like my Star Trek Pro, and the Walking Dead Premium would give me a whole new experience?

#1554 8 years ago
Quoted from craigj:

Ok, dumb question here. I have a 5 year old and a 10 year old. Not too worried about the 10 year old but how about the little one playing TWD. Just being a protective parent, of course I don't let them watch the show, but I was concerned about the DMD animations for a little 5 year old. Can they be changed at all in the settings. Maybe I'm overthinking it a bit. I turned off the bad language on my star trek, it wasn't too bad but had a few words occasionally. Maybe those without kids wouldn't quite understand these concerns, haha.

My 3yo likes TWD. The DMD is very cartoonish and makes little sense to kids. And in one colour it's difficult to make out what's actually happening unless you have an adult's fully developed appreciation of the context. They don't find it interesting to watch so they rarely even look. I wouldn't worry about it. My 12yo can't get enough of it and the 8yo twins love beating each other up on it. A great game is a great game.

#1555 8 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

My 3yo likes TWD. The DMD is very cartoonish and makes little sense to kids. And in one colour it's difficult to make out what's actually happening unless you have an adult's fully developed appreciation of the context. They don't find it interesting to watch so they rarely even look. I wouldn't worry about it. My 12yo can't get enough of it and the 8yo twins love beating each other up on it. A great game is a great game.

Very good points. Are there any settings to change for the DMD animations, also the language settings?

#1556 8 years ago
Quoted from craigj:

Thinking of joining TWD Club... with a purchase. Actually I am really stuck between deciding on several machines, Metallica, TWD Premium, Hobbit, WOZ. Are there any TWD owners that really regret their purchase, in regards to the Premium? I think it looks fun, but I don't have any opportunity to play it beforehand. I've heard the ball gets bounced around up top forever, much longer than it should. This next purchase will be my last for about 3 years, so I want to feel I got it right. Currently I own a Star Trek Pro with no regrets.

I had a Met pro - loved it, miss it really. But I did find the first few minutes or so of the game boring and then the game would build up in intensity and get good. I think WD is intense from the get go!

#1557 8 years ago

Anyone know what activates the middle button? I noticed when its active and you have one more hit left for prison multiball you can use it a ball save in a way and start multiball as you drain.

#1558 8 years ago
Quoted from craigj:

Very good points. Are there any settings to change for the DMD animations, also the language settings?

You can't change DMD. Language you can.

#1559 8 years ago
Quoted from craigj:

The walking dead is more of an in depth, long ball game. Met is a little opposite of that? Wondering if MET would play more like my Star Trek Pro, and the Walking Dead Premium would give me a whole new experience?

The walking dead is brutal and is not a long ball time game. Metallica ball times are longer so is Star Trek.

TWD has awesome animations and they cannot be turned off. But how damaged can your son be by animations on a 2 color 192x32 display? If that's we him in, you got much bigger problems.

#1560 8 years ago
Quoted from craigj:

Thinking of joining TWD Club... with a purchase. Actually I am really stuck between deciding on several machines, Metallica, TWD Premium, Hobbit, WOZ. Are there any TWD owners that really regret their purchase, in regards to the Premium? I think it looks fun, but I don't have any opportunity to play it beforehand. I've heard the ball gets bounced around up top forever, much longer than it should. This next purchase will be my last for about 3 years, so I want to feel I got it right. Currently I own a Star Trek Pro with no regrets.

There is so much more to do in TWD than in Star Trek. And the software is so much better. The Star Trek layout is a bit more friendly and smoother. The ball times on Star Trek are longer than TWD. Metallica also has ingenious rules. Both Metallica and TWD will be long lasting games you'll want to keep in my opinion.

#1561 8 years ago
Quoted from craigj:

I have a 7 year old son and a 5 year old daughter. They play TWD without issue and I wouldn't worry about it. We won't let them watch the show, but the animations are cheesy and cartoonish and its nothing to worry about IMO. Obviously every parents opinions will vary, but they have never commented on any of it and are too focused on the actual gameplay.

#1562 8 years ago

i played the met, twd, Startrek LE/Prem and AC/DC Luci on a little tournament... so 3-4 hours i walked between Met and Twd...
Now i bought MET pro and TWD pro ... and I don't regret the decision

#1563 8 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

That's a tough one. Id probably go with the theme that speaks the loudest to you. MET and TWD (both premium) are my only two pins and it would be tough to say which one I prefer. Both I love for different reasons. I hate WOZ theme so I'll never get it, so unless you are a wizard of oz fan id skip that machine.
MET does well with non casual pinball players as they are immediately excited to play and it's easy to figure out.
TWD isn't immediately appreciated because it's very tough to get to the "good stuff"
If playing on your own a lot id choose TWD because it has the "one more game" feel more then MET, but in a different frustrating way. When I go to play my machines I almost always hit TWD first.

Im sorry mate but that's just closed minded as all get out! My WOZ sits right next to my walking dead and xmen. At the moment I play woz and twd 95% of the time splitting 50/50 time share between the two games.

Yes WOZ is a completely different theme but it's an awesome game! Everything is well thought of. My only real gripe with the game is that if you're walking up to it for the first time you have to look at the screen to tell you what to do. They playfield doesn't really tell you that. The attention to detail with The sounds is amazing. It's certainly one of my favourite games. Play one before saying oh no the theme isn't for me because you'll be missing out on an awesome game if you don't!

#1564 8 years ago
Quoted from craigj:

I have a five-year old as well, and he does play the game and notices how "gruesome" it is, but it is extremely cartoony. My kid also has seen Star Wars and read the Lord of Rings with us, so the actiony / battley stuff is not new for him. Honestly, he didn't love the pin compared to some others he's played more because of the rules complexity and the challenge-level, so that's something to consider as well.

#1565 8 years ago
Quoted from Audioenslaved:

Im sorry mate but that's just closed minded as all get out! My WOZ sits right next to my walking dead and xmen. At the moment I play woz and twd 95% of the time splitting 50/50 time share between the two games.
Yes WOZ is a completely different theme but it's an awesome game! Everything is well thought of. My only real gripe with the game is that if you're walking up to it for the first time you have to look at the screen to tell you what to do. They playfield doesn't really tell you that. The attention to detail with The sounds is amazing. It's certainly one of my favourite games. Play one before saying oh no the theme isn't for me because you'll be missing out on an awesome game if you don't!

You are right, maybe I am being a bit close-minded. I haven't played the game but if I ever get the chance I'll try and be open minded about it. It does look pretty cool with the big LCD and crazy lights on the play field... Who knows, maybe I'll like it even though the theme isn't my thing.

#1566 8 years ago

I have both a 10 and 11 yr. old; and they love TWD- no worries at all about being too gruesome or graphic. They really enjoy all aspects of the immersive gameplay. We also own a MET, and they find that an awesome pin as well. We've all played WOZ and even don't mind the movie...it's pretty to look at, but we all agree the gameplay isn't in the same league as MET, TWD (or ACDC)...

#1567 8 years ago

Ok I need to pay Gnassel for his awesome BG lighting mod he said to send him 60€ Via PayPal how much USD is that?

#1568 8 years ago

60€ ~ 67$

#1569 8 years ago

Thanks Frank
Payment coming (the BG mod worked great, I love it!)

#1570 8 years ago

My salary is the positive feedback. Payment is only "nice to have"

#1571 8 years ago
Quoted from Gnassel:

My salary is the positive feedback. Payment is only "nice to have"

Well I am extremely impressed with the quality and performance of your BG ramp lighting mod, TWD should of come from the factory with your mod on it IMHO.

#1572 8 years ago

I know that last code update has made a huge difference to this game.

I am curious what the next/last? code update may have or what is lacking at the moment?

#1573 8 years ago

I'm gonna experiment with some custom Lermods flasher strips today.

#1574 8 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

You are right, maybe I am being a bit close-minded. I haven't played the game but if I ever get the chance I'll try and be open minded about it. It does look pretty cool with the big LCD and crazy lights on the play field... Who knows, maybe I'll like it even though the theme isn't my thing.

The only thing I'll say is you have to play it with someone who knows what they're doing so they can show you how to play it and then you'll enjoy it. It's not like any stern or bw game where you can shoot a whole bunch of stuff and start a mode or a multiball. You've got to know what to shoot and when to shoot it to get places. And I'll say whole heartily that I wanted so much to like it (it looks amazing and the sounds are awesome!) but know what to do and continually getting rubbish scores like 20-50k just never did anything for me because I didn't get anywhere in the game. It wasn't until I played it with a friend who went out you've got to, short example,
hit the winged monkey targets
capture Dorothy on the loop where the winged monkey comes and collects your ball
Spell rescue
Bash door down and shoot ball into scoop behind door
All those above steps allows you to start rescue multiball! Like serious how the heck is anyone meant to know that stepping up to the machine!

But I digress I love my TWDLE it's not going anywhere anytime soon!

#1575 8 years ago

For those not in the know, Hooked on Pinball has an awesome Barn mod that has been completed, and those of us on the pre-order list are pretty much fulfilled. I think he is going to be putting them up on his website soon. As for price, he may have given a discount to pre-orders, so I'll let him disclose those details.

Get mine on Monday - looks so sweet!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mod-thoughtstwd-guys-what-do-you-think

#1576 8 years ago

I wanted to make and install the prison tower in my premium so I ordered this:

ebay.com link: ebay.com

Well, it turns out that it's way too big, no way it would fit. Not sure what others are using, but it isn't that one.

Rather than return it, decided to order the fence and turn both of them into a topper.

ebay.com link: ebay.com

I didn't buy those specific ones and got both for about $50 shipped.

Below are pics of the results along with a video that shows the tower flashers in action.

I put a red and white flasher in the tower and tied them to the red and white flashers inside the barn. The lights on the fence, street light and inside the lower guard house just behind the left fence are just tied into a GI. I thought it came out pretty good for $50 and a few hours of work (my kids built the tower and fence since it's made out of legos). If I was better at using EL wire, I would have used it for barbed wire all along the fence, but the wires are too small for my eyes and hands to deal with. If someone has an EL wire mod that mimics barbed wire and will fit this use, I'll take it.

If anyone wants help making this, let me know, happy to provide more detail. It did require soldering to the flasher in the barn and soldering in spotlights and other connections, but was pretty easy overall.

TWD_Topper_2_(resized).JPGTWD_Topper_2_(resized).JPG

TWD_Topper_(resized).JPGTWD_Topper_(resized).JPG

#1577 8 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

ebay.com link
Well, it turns out that it's way too big, no way it would fit. Not sure what others are using, but it isn't that one.
Rather than return it, decided to order the fence and turn both of them into a topper.
ebay.com link
Below are pics of the results along with a video that shows the tower flashers in action.
» YouTube video
I put a red and white flasher in the tower and tied them to the red and white flashers inside the barn. The lights on the fence, street light and inside the lower guard house just behind the left fence are just tied into a GI. I thought it came out pretty good for $50 and a few hours of work (my kids built the tower and fence since it's made out of legos). If I was better at using EL wire, I would have used it for barbed wire all along the fence, but the wires are too small for my eyes and hands to deal with. If someone has an EL wire mod that mimics barbed wire and will fit this use, I'll take it.
If anyone wants help making this, let me know, happy to provide more detail. It did require soldering to the flasher in the barn and soldering in spotlights and other connections, but was pretty easy overall.

TWD_Topper_2_(resized).JPGTWD_Topper_(resized).JPG

awesome- it never dawned on me to use that as a topper. was always imagining how to get it under the glass. if I do a topper it'll absolutely be borrowing this idea. Flashers for president!

#1578 8 years ago

Looks awesome!

#1579 8 years ago

If any of you guys put a ColorDMD /Sigma display in, Scan Mode looks incredible.

#1580 8 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I was going to use that to make a tower for my TWD as well, however I knew it was too big, so I planned on using it for parts for my tower. I figured some useful parts would be the floor, railing, spot lights, and roof tiles.

What you did looks great as a topper. Nice work!

#1581 8 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

ebay.com link
ebay.com link
» YouTube video

TWD_Topper_2_(resized).JPGTWD_Topper_(resized).JPG

lol. Look at how close that tower is to those ceiling tiles. Near millimeters!

#1582 8 years ago

53 games today. I love this machine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#1583 8 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

lol. Look at how close that tower is to those ceiling tiles. Near millimeters!

Oh come on, there's nearly a full inch there.

My ceiling height is 90". If anyone makes this and is concerned about ceiling height, you can just use less courses for the tower, it's Lego!

#1584 8 years ago
Quoted from T7:

My suggestion - try removing the sticker and see if all your problems go away.

I cut a small notch in the bottom of the sticker on the Woodberry drop and it fixed the problem, thanks for the suggestion!

#1585 8 years ago

One thing I hate about Stern games is that the pop bumpers looks like Fisher price with the leds poking out of the top. I want to change my premium asap so was very pleased to see this Hooked mod. Way, way better!

1784203_orig.jpg1784203_orig.jpg

#1586 8 years ago

I've had a ColorDMD and it makes a big difference, but I can't go back to dots.

Just bought a GOT Prem and I need another display, I can't play it like this!

#1587 8 years ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

I've had a ColorDMD and it makes a big difference, but I can't go back to dots.
Just bought a GOT Prem and I need another display, I can't play it like this!

My ColorDMD in Scan mode looks awesome on my TWD. I have it wired into my color changing LED speaker lights, so the screen colors rotate. You can also make all of them interactive so the screen changes colors with the action on the game.. either way, it looks so much better than a crappy DMD screen.

#1588 8 years ago

I just realized, neither of my magnets are working. Didn't have time to check connections. I never disabled them in settings. if it turns out they are fully connected when I check later, could it be a fuse(s)?

#1589 8 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

My ColorDMD in Scan mode looks awesome on my TWD. I have it wired into my color changing LED speaker lights, so the screen colors rotate. You can also make all of them interactive so the screen changes colors with the action on the game.. either way, it looks so much better than a crappy DMD screen.

Does it really make a huge difference? This is the one thing I've been holding out on but with TWD I think its falling into the gotta have it mindset.

#1590 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Does it really make a huge difference?

see video below

#1592 8 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

I just realized, neither of my magnets are working. Didn't have time to check connections. I never disabled them in settings. if it turns out they are fully connected when I check later, could it be a fuse(s)?

Probably the F7 fuse in the backbox- blows on me every so often. Make sure to replace with a 4 amp Slow Blow fuse.

#1593 8 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

I believe it is fuse F7 4 amp slow blow that is blown. This issue was supposed to be corrected with the new code but seems to still be an issue. I believe it is caused by an over use of both magnets during multiball.

#1594 8 years ago

thanks magnet fuse helpers- that was quick! I should have a 4a slow rdy to be placed when I get home later.

#1595 8 years ago

I've ordered my TWD Premium - I can't wait! I sold my IM VE to get this and I'm going crazy buying mods and protectors while waiting. I really don't like the Stern topper - or the price, so I decided to make my own. Being a long-time martial artist, I had all of the needed materials on hand already. Either way, anyone could put one of these together for MUCH less than a Stern topper. (The picture has it on my ST 'cause my TWD isn't here yet. The waiting is killing me!)
image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#1596 8 years ago

Iceman44

Here is a short Youtube video of my son playing TWD with the ColorDMD set to red showing some of the animations. Please take note that I needed an adapter kit to finish off the install which of course I didn't know so I don't have it yet but it's on the way from Randy, the screen is just resting behind the speaker panel and does not have the clear shield in front of it and it's a little crooked. In addition if you see the reds going bright and back to red again, that's the camera adjusting the light metering from all the flashes going off, not the display.

Oh and it set to 5 balls (go ahead flame away), yeah we suck as the scores will show but need to learn the machine and ball time will help us.

#1597 8 years ago

^^^^
Looks awesome!

#1598 8 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

Iceman44
Here is a short Youtube video of my son playing TWD with the ColorDMD set to red showing some of the animations. Please take note that I needed an adapter kit to finish off the install which of course I didn't know so I don't have it yet but it's on the way from Randy, the screen is just resting behind the speaker panel and does not have the clear shield in front of it and it's a little crooked. In addition if you see the reds going bright and back to red again, that's the camera adjusting the light metering from all the flashes going off, not the display.
Oh and it set to 5 balls (go ahead flame away), yeah we suck as the scores will show but need to learn the machine and ball time will help us.

» YouTube video

Looks really good. I had decided against a colourdmd for TWD because the red suits the theme and I generally prefer the dots to the smoothing of colourdmd, but the dots look made for "smoothing" on this.

What other colours look good? Guessing white would look good.

#1599 8 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Looks really good. I had decided against a colourdmd for TWD because the red suits the theme and I generally prefer the dots to the smoothing of colourdmd, but the dots look made for "smoothing" on this.
What other colours look good? Guessing white would look good.

As you I think red suits it best so that's how I'm going to leave it set, however just think of the colors when the ROM drops from ColorDMD. That's going to be awesome.

Out of all the modes I do think scan looks the best even over the dots and hi rez believe it or not, scan has just the right amount of shading in it to give it some nice depth.

#1600 8 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

just think of the colors when the ROM drops from ColorDMD.

is someone confirmed to be working on it?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 49.99
Machine - For Sale
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
6,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Jacksonville, FL
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods
Toppers
8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Greensboro, NC
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
Other
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal
Toppers
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
Toppers
$ 9.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 16.00
Playfield - Decals
Lermods
Decals
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Under cabinet
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 11,771 posts in this topic. You are on page 32 of 236.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twd-club-only-walkers-not-welcome/page/32 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.