IMG_3704 (resized).jpg
IMG_3705 (resized).jpg
IMG_3706 (resized).jpg
IMG_1728 (resized).jpeg
Pinside_forum_5037339_1681555 (resized).jpg
71lHsSkTFuL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_ (resized).jpg
642FBF80-01A5-4865-99E9-A333F11B1FA1 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 11,771 posts in this topic. You are on page 119 of 236.
#5901 6 years ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

Fair enough. Time to put in a solid week of practice and see where I end up. I've played c. two-hundred games to date, averaging 10M on three balls.
My nudging is poorly timed and ineffectual. I often drop catch, but I flip instantly. It's not like a true "catch." I just meet the ball with the flipper up, then decelerate the ball by lowering it with my flipper, then flipping instantly. Kind of like a tip in basketball. I rarely if ever do live catches on this pin. I began learning them on my first love, IM, since the ball comes to the right flipper from the pops on that pin in a way that invites a live catch. ToM is another title that invites *lots* of right-flipper live catches. My dead flipping has come a long way. I'd say it's one of the first flipper skills players begin to improve on when they commit to getting better. I can post pass reasonably well, allowing me to transfer a cradled ball from one flipper to the other, etc. I will invariably post pass to my left flipper whenever Extra Ball is lit. I've never done a slap save, I don't think. I don't really try to save SDTM drains. I fight outlane drains as much as I can, but not well.
Thanks for your reply to my post!

I've put on probably 600 plays since I've gotten mine and it still beats my ass. I foresee that after getting 1k plays, it'll still kick my ass, and even after 1500 plays it will yet still kick my ass. There's something about it that makes me press start one more time.

#5902 6 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I've put on probably 600 plays since I've gotten mine and it still beats my ass. I foresee that after getting 1k plays, it'll still kick my ass, and even after 1500 plays it will yet still kick my ass. There's something about it that makes me press start one more time.

I think you have to be the type of person that enjoys a really hard game. That struggle makes the good games you have so much better.

Without disappointment you can’t appreciate victory.

#5903 6 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

Pop drains = leveling issue
All machines will drain from the pops on a bad bounce once in a while, but in general, the pop exit should feed the left flipper.

I've played close to 10 different TWD machines and they've all had this issue, some worse than others. Someone else mentioned hitting the flippers when the crowbar hits the zombie head to 'pulse' the magnet for the prison but again that doesn't work on every machine all the time.

#5904 6 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Wasn't a "must" mod for me. I got mine in mid 2016 and the ramp flap has foam on the bottom to protect the PF and the shot was smooth right out of the box. I was ready to do some work on it after reading posts about it before I got it but it turned out no tweaking was needed.
Except adding Gnassel's flickering light mod of course. That IS a must

The cliffy's isnt to make the shot smoother, its to stop the ramp digging into the playfield. Yes it is a must. Mine came with the "factory" fix with the foam on it too, but after a few hundred plays, it was already digging into the playfield. For less than $20, its cheap insurance.

#5905 6 years ago

Fair enough. Time to put in a solid week of practice and see where I end up. I've played c. two-hundred games to date, averaging 10M on three balls.
My nudging is poorly timed and ineffectual. I often drop catch, but I flip instantly. It's not like a true "catch." I just meet the ball with the flipper up, then decelerate the ball by lowering it with my flipper, then flipping instantly. Kind of like a tip in basketball. I rarely if ever do live catches on this pin. I began learning them on my first love, IM, since the ball comes to the right flipper from the pops on that pin in a way that invites a live catch. ToM is another title that invites *lots* of right-flipper live catches. My dead flipping has come a long way. I'd say it's one of the first flipper skills players begin to improve on when they commit to getting better. I can post pass reasonably well, allowing me to transfer a cradled ball from one flipper to the other, etc. I will invariably post pass to my left flipper whenever Extra Ball is lit. I've never done a slap save, I don't think. I don't really try to save SDTM drains. I fight outlane drains as much as I can, but not well.
Thanks for your reply to my post!

The way I view TWD is the same way I view my golf game: as a whole, it will never be pretty, but if I have a great mode, or multiball, it’s a good game. The same way if I par one hole, or hit the green from the tee box on a par 3, it’s a good time. I can 3 putt after that to ruin the hole, but I’ll remember the drive and forget the rest!

#5906 6 years ago
Quoted from BrewNinja:

The cliffy's isnt to make the shot smoother, its to stop the ramp digging into the playfield. Yes it is a must. Mine came with the "factory" fix with the foam on it too, but after a few hundred plays, it was already digging into the playfield. For less than $20, its cheap insurance.

the cliffy did make the shot smoother for me because it changes the angle and makes the ramp less steep.

#5907 6 years ago

*** Where to Buy Well Walker Plastic Alternate-Strike-Point Mod? ***

At one point I noticed a mod here on pinside for a red plastic alternate plate, to be fitted at the Well Walker's belly.

I'm convinced that the bulk of my ball wear comes from strikes to the stock steel plate, so I'd love to get a plastic one in there instead.

I've searched the Market section devoted to new mods but don't see it.

Thanks.

#5908 6 years ago

*** Where to Buy Well Walker Plastic Alternate-Strike-Point Mod? ***
At one point I noticed a mod here on pinside for a red plastic alternate plate, to be fitted at the Well Walker's belly.
I'm convinced that the bulk of my ball wear comes from strikes to the stock steel plate, so I'd love to get a plastic one in there instead.
I've searched the Market section devoted to new mods but don't see it.
Thanks.

I believe that is Mezel Mods

#5909 6 years ago
Quoted from Pale_Purple:

I've played close to 10 different TWD machines and they've all had this issue, some worse than others. Someone else mentioned hitting the flippers when the crowbar hits the zombie head to 'pulse' the magnet for the prison but again that doesn't work on every machine all the time.

Nothing in pinball works "all the time". The magnet pulse will usually save the ball, unless it pulses it straight down the middle, which does happen occasionally. That's pinball.

I have played well over 10 different TWD machines in Pennsylvania, New York, Michigan and Ontario, and the only ones that drained from the pops consistently were improperly leveled. If you are certain that the machine that is experiencing this issue is leveled correctly, I would try to level it 0.1/0.2 degrees to the left to see if that resolves the pops issue without affecting general play significantly.

#5910 6 years ago

Pops slingshots and magnets are there to introduce randomness to pinball machines. If they weren’t there the games would be boring and go forever.

A cheap drain now and then has very powerful Pavlovian effects on players.

There’s also the risk/benefit design considerations. If I could just hit the prison all day to get multi-ball several times without risk then where’s the fun. Gotta add some risk there.

#5911 6 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Does anyone know why Stern made the skill shot zombie male? Seems like it was female originally.

That's interesting. I guess shooting a woman - albeit a zombie woman - in the head for a skill shot was just too insensitive to AMC. Come to think of it, all of the mutilation animations that mark walker kills are of men, no? I would like to see the rejects. The keepers are gruesome enough!

#5912 6 years ago

Luckily we have bicycle girl!

Walking dead is indeed a hard game, been trying to beat the last man standing champion (my friend Evert B - EB ) which I did 3 times in the past but can't get past 80 walker kills per game (factory 3 balls, extra's enabled). My left outlane is just so tough on me.

#5913 6 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

I believe that is Mezel Mods

Thank you, Woody!

#5914 6 years ago

There are females that come out during Barn, and I'm pretty sure during multikill animations as well.

#5915 6 years ago

Can't Hit Tunnel Shot to Save My Life!

TWD is a tough game and that's one of the reasons it's such a great game. In fact, every pin I play has a tougher shot: Gem in Tron, War Machine in IM (when I need it), IM in Avengers, etc. Gem, for instance, makes Tron the game that it is. The secret is to play around your worst shots, if you can. In TWD, you can, because failure to make that specific shot isn't denying you anything, unlike in Tron, IM, or Avengers.

Personally, I have more trouble with Barn than Tunnel. I get some random Tunnel shots from the Pops at the beginning of a ball or off of a ball save, at least enough to level the playing field with Barn. There's no random help in Barn, it's hit it or miss. But, so what. Multikills can easily be gathered up from low hanging fruit shots like Bicycle Girl, CDC, Riot, and Well Walker. You don't have to hit Tunnel consistently to make any objective in TWD. In the latest code version you can collect towards LMS easily by just hitting your same 3-4 best shots over and over again. l also

The drops are important in TWD, compared to other games. So, they matter more. However, if you want to worry about a shot you can't make hurting you in the long run, buy Tron and try to get to Portal while not being able to hit Gem.

#5916 6 years ago

I like how everyone has different easy/hard shots for this game but can agree that it's hard. Always makes you want to come back for more. I would say barn is ten times easier to make than riot but that's just me.

#5917 6 years ago

For me Barn and Riot are MUCH easier than Tunnel. Seems like I can make Tunnel only 10% of the time. This game is tough and that’s a huge part of why I love it so much. Keeps me pressing the start button. I’ve had easy games and grew tired of them quickly.
Junky

#5918 6 years ago

ive noticed something else with my new premium. Sometime when i plunge the ball never makes it up to the skill shot area. It ricochetes into the pops. my pro machine never had this issue. Any ideas on what i need to adjust>?

#5919 6 years ago
Quoted from imagamejunky:

For me Barn and Riot are MUCH easier than Tunnel. Seems like I can make Tunnel only 10% of the time.

You don't need to hit the tunnel shot repeatedly. Barn, Riot, and Arena you repeat to make progress. CDC & Tunnel you hit the other shots to progress and hit again to finish.

#5920 6 years ago
Quoted from bgwilly31:

ive noticed something else with my new premium. Sometime when i plunge the ball never makes it up to the skill shot area. It ricochetes into the pops. my pro machine never had this issue. Any ideas on what i need to adjust>?

I'm having the same issue with my new Pro.
Not certain, but it seems to happen only/most often when I plunge manually, and not from the auto-plunge.
I was poking around with the glass of yesterday to see if the guide rails near the exit area could be easily bent, but they appear to be in there pretty solid.

Would love to hear others opinion. Otherwise, it'll be a call into Stern to see what they suggest.

#5921 6 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Not certain, but it seems to happen only/most often when I plunge manually, and not from the auto-plunge.

Make sure the plunger is hitting the ball dead in the center. If off-center, I could see it causing the ball to rattle off the sides of the shooter lane and enter the pops at an angle. The fact that your auto plunge doesn’t do this makes me suspect the plunger rod or tip.

#5922 6 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

I was poking around with the glass of yesterday to see if the guide rails near the exit area could be easily bent, but they appear to be in there pretty solid.
Would love to hear others opinion. Otherwise, it'll be a call into Stern to see what they suggest.

same auto plunge is just fine. Ill dig into it tonight and check the tip of the manual plunger like suggested.

#5923 6 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

I've developed this issue with a Pro, too. I plunge, and rather than see the ball glide smoothly out of the plunge lane and up past the star rollovers, it gets snagged/disturbed at the one-way gate, there at the top of the plunge lane. This becomes a problem when trying for a Woodbury shot, as I can't gently plunge all the way to the star rollover switches.

I believe this problem arose when the one-way gate shifted position, perhaps as a result of the shaker I just installed. Moreover, the one-way gate at the very top of the "Woodbury" lane, just before the ball is dropped above the rollover lanes, is misbehaving in the same way, although worse, as sometimes it will simply block the ball entirely.

My intended fix will involve shifting these one-way gates (each has lateral adjustibility +/- 3mm) and then tightening them down properly. The trouble will be accessing the gate at the top of the plunge lane, as it sits below the Arena ramp and some additional plastics.

Good luck to the rest of you who will address this on your own pins.

J

#5924 6 years ago

*** Pro Owners: How to Trap Ball Returning from Arena for Controlled Crossbow Shot? ***

To load the Crossbow, I must hit an Arena shot (at the prescribed moment). Fine.

The problem comes *after* I hit Arena, when the ball returns to the top of the left inlane, stops, drops to the PF, and then trickles down to the left flipper. It has just enough pace that I can't trap it on the left, and too little pace to allow either a roll pass or a tip pass to the right. This forces me into a rolling Crossbow shot, as I can't trap first.

How are other Pro owners trapping in this scenario, for a better chance at a good Crossbow shot? (I say "other Pro owners" because I assume that the Premium's return ramp, with its alternate design, delivers the ball slightly differently to the left flipper.)

Is the only move here a tip trap, where the ball is moving with pace enough to dribble over the flipper and you tip in a way as to keep the ball on the same flipper? This is an advanced move, for sure. I've had zero success with it in this situation so far.

Any suggestions are welcome.

#5925 6 years ago

I've developed this issue with a Pro, too. I plunge, and rather than see the ball glide smoothly out of the plunge lane and up past the star rollovers, it gets snagged/disturbed at the one-way gate, there at the top of the plunge lane. This becomes a problem when trying for a Woodbury shot, as I can't gently plunge all the way to the star rollover switches.
I believe this problem arose when the one-way gate shifted position, perhaps as a result of the shaker I just installed. Moreover, the one-way gate at the very top of the "Woodbury" lane, just before the ball is dropped above the rollover lanes, is misbehaving in the same way, although worse, as sometimes it will simply block the ball entirely.
My intended fix will involve shifting these one-way gates (each has lateral adjustibility +/- 3mm) and then tightening them down properly. The trouble will be accessing the gate at the top of the plunge lane, as it sits below the Arena ramp and some additional plastics.
Good luck to the rest of you who will address this on your own pins.
J

#5926 6 years ago

For the Crossbow shot, on my Pro, I have plenty of pace coming down the ramp to allow it to jump over to the right flipper...so I typically go after CDC, Barn or Riot. What is your pitch set to? In terms of the plunge, I too see that maybe 20% of the time now, both manual and auto where it will glance into the pops. I haven't dug into the adjustment yet, most likely will at 30% But for the Woodbury shot, I find it is easier to move my desired reward to one of the lane rollovers...the stars are just too inconsistent for me.

#5927 6 years ago
Quoted from BrewNinja:

So if you get the cliffy, do you take off the factory foam before installing the cliffy?
My ramp shots are very smooth and i don't want the cliffy to change that. Does it affect the angle of the ramp?
Thx.

#5928 6 years ago
Quoted from facelift:

So if you get the cliffy, do you take off the factory foam before installing the cliffy?
My ramp shots are very smooth and i don't want the cliffy to change that. Does it affect the angle of the ramp?
Thx.

Personally, if your ramp plays 100% now, I would just leave it as is. I had a TWD Premium where the ramp started leaving a slight mark underneath it, but it was pretty slight, and you had to lift the ramp flap just to see it.
Honestly, I’m not sure why anyone is THAT concerned about preventing an issue so minor.
Your call though. I know that even the slightest imperfection on a pin can rub people the wrong way sometimes.

#5929 6 years ago
Quoted from facelift:

Thx.

I find the ramp is much smoother without the factory foam with the Cliffy protector.

#5930 6 years ago

*** Can't Hit Tunnel Shot to Save My Life! ***
I'm a novice player. I bought TWD because I'd read how fabulous it is and because I'd enjoyed playing a hundred-or-so sub-twenty-million-point games on one at my local barcade. Now that I own one (my first pin of any kind), I'm really struggling to be play it well enough to actually advance through the game.
In ascending order of difficulty, I rank the shots as follows:
6. CDC
5. Barn
4. Riot
3. Arena
2. Woodbury
1. Tunnel
Tunnel, as you all know, is a "Borg" shot. It has no margin for error, as even grazing/activating a pop on the way by deflects the shot. You can't "rattle" your shot through there. It has to sail through without touching a thing 'til it finds the corner at the very back/right of the PF, etc. I first experienced a shot of this kind on KISS, and I thought it was absurdly hard there, too.
I hit Tunnel by accident far more often than I do aiming for it. When I aim, I hit it perhaps once in twenty attempts. This is a problem. To help me avoid total frustration, I have set the game to settings that allow me to make at least *some* progress toward scoring goals. I still find it murderously hard. (Believe me, I don't advance all that far, despite all the gimmies!) I typically spend most of each ball trying to clear a single bank or drop targets to earn a shot at starting a mode. I rarely get to the mode as I more often just drain trying to clear the target bank. Clearing the target bank keeps you down near the deadly slings, and once the ball gets to ricocheting around between them, it will all too often find its way into the outlanes in a flash, etc. Still, on rare occasions, I have actually started Horde. (I count four times at this point.) Being resolutely unable to hit Tunnel, this a problem, as it's just a matter of time before I'm "bitten" by an advancing walker on the middle-right. Really, my skills are not up to Horde in general, but in particular because I can't hit Tunnel.
Oh, if you're thinking my pops have switch gaps that are ultra-tight, making them ultra-sensitive, I actually got in there already to *expand* those gaps to make the pops *less* sensitive, as all that pop-bumping on every plunge was driving me bananas.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.
J

man up soldier! - it will come and when it does you'll be ecstatic!

#5931 6 years ago
Quoted from setzkor:

For the Crossbow shot, on my Pro, I have plenty of pace coming down the ramp to allow it to jump over to the right flipper...so I typically go after CDC, Barn or Riot. What is your pitch set to?

Oh, my gosh! You can roll pass to your right flipper after an Arena shot return! My Pro just has the ball drool off the end of the left flipper and drain!

My pitch is set to normal. (Bubble sits dead center.) I have no idea how I can improve this.

Thanks for your reply.

#5932 6 years ago

Anyone ever have this happen? Well-walker multiball, and four balls eject. Also had a Prison multiball this week where there were only two balls--my plunger kept trying to eject a third ball, but there was nothing there. I did the ball trough test and had no issues.

I'm worried this is a board thing that is beyond me. I have a Premium with about 5,000 games on it.

Thanks for any thoughts you might have. Cheers from Canada.

-Winston.

#5933 6 years ago
Quoted from wtuttle:

Anyone ever have this happen? Well-walker multiball, and four balls eject. Also had a Prison multiball this week where there were only two balls--my plunger kept trying to eject a third ball, but there was nothing there. I did the ball trough test and had no issues.
I'm worried this is a board thing that is beyond me. I have a Premium with about 5,000 games on it.
Thanks for any thoughts you might have. Cheers from Canada.
-Winston.

It’s either your shooter lane switch or one of the opto boards in the trough. All are simple fixes. Put the game in test mode and see what’s active. Shooter lane should not be active. Take the balls out and see if anything in the trough is registering. If nothing, reseat the opto connectors.

#5934 6 years ago

Could the balls be magnetized and 'sticking' to each other in the trough? Not letting the balls roll down?

#5935 6 years ago

There are no optos in the walking dead trough.

Make sure the correct number of balls are in the game. Also make sure there normal balls in it and not those super shiny aftermarket balls. Those don’t do well with magnets. They become magnetized

#5936 6 years ago

I haven't heard that about the super shiny balls. I think that's what's in my game and they've been in there for hundreds of games no issue so far. What balls do you recommend for magnet heavy games?

#5937 6 years ago
Quoted from Pale_Purple:

I haven't heard that about the super shiny balls. I think that's what's in my game and they've been in there for hundreds of games no issue so far. What balls do you recommend for magnet heavy games?

Pinball life for Titan standard pinballs.

#5938 6 years ago

I have Titan super shiny in mine with no issues. I want to try Ball Baron ninja balls for my next round when my games need it.

#5939 6 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I have Titan super shiny in mine with no issues. I want to try Ball Baron ninja balls for my next round when my games need it.

Titan is exactly who i used when I had issues. Seems these places get bad batches or something. I just stopped trying to find shiny balls that were consistent.

Only ones I never had issues with were pinball life but those are unavailable now I believe.

#5940 6 years ago

Thanks to everyone for the help--it's definitely the Titan SuperShiny balls I installed last week
I had no idea...thanks again. Glad I kept the regular ones!

#5941 6 years ago
Quoted from wtuttle:

Thanks to everyone for the help--it's definitely the Titan SuperShiny balls I installed last week

I've had Titan's in my game from day 1 and never had a problem. Keep us posted if that's really the issue.

#5942 6 years ago
Quoted from neverahighscore:

I've had Titan's in my game from day 1 and never had a problem. Keep us posted if that's really the issue.

I think he just said it was. Haha. It was definitely my issue as well.

#5943 6 years ago

I was in tunnel mode today and got 60 million for a single shot. I have done 20 million point shots before (with the x), but 60 million? I guess the value must have been 15 million and I must have had double playfield and X on, though I didn't realize it at the time. 120 million point tunnel mode champ today. I'm sure others have done better but I am still warming up to the game. What a game!

#5944 6 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

I was in tunnel mode today and got 60 million for a single shot. I have done 20 million point shots before (with the x), but 60 million? I guess the value must have been 15 million and I must have had double playfield and X on, though I didn't realize it at the time. 120 million point tunnel mode champ today. I'm sure others have done better but I am still warming up to the game. What a game!

That mode is such an adrenaline rush. Also try and hit the drops down during it to extend the mode timer. You can keep it running forever if done right.

#5945 6 years ago

My wife custom painted my well walker. I think he looks much scarier than before. Looks much more like a bloated zombie found in the bottom of a well.

IMG-566c48ebc7c273685c8606fc4b25a3a9-V (resized).jpgIMG-566c48ebc7c273685c8606fc4b25a3a9-V (resized).jpg

IMG-eaacc516ab8440645c623f2f6e6b7de6-V (resized).jpgIMG-eaacc516ab8440645c623f2f6e6b7de6-V (resized).jpg

#5946 6 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

My wife custom painted my well walker. I think he looks much scarier than before. Looks much more like a bloated zombie found in the bottom of a well.

Nice! That's one of the best custom paint jobs I've seen on the WW.

#5947 6 years ago

this is looking really... disgusting !

nice job than

#5948 6 years ago

@Luvtataphex: My X champ is now 339M... I believe it was a huge value terminus shot + a combo + a walker (2x with double playfield)

#5949 6 years ago

mine is 248M... but dont ask me how i did it !!!

#5950 6 years ago

RipleYYY: High score roll will tell you in detail

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
There are 11,771 posts in this topic. You are on page 119 of 236.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twd-club-only-walkers-not-welcome/page/119 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.