IMG_8591.jpeg
IMG_8590.jpeg
IMG_4800 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4801 (resized).jpeg
R0010351 (resized).jpg
3A806D11-0414-4B59-896B-4EC5124E108B (resized).jpeg
20240218_165719 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 11,804 posts in this topic. You are on page 118 of 237.
#5851 6 years ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

*** Source for Replacement Star Rollover Switches? ***
Hi.
Speaking to a tech at Stern today I learned that my star rollover switches in my TWD Pro need to be replaced. I'm disappointed, naturally, but better to just replace them and move on. So, my first impulse was to check Pinball Life, Pinball Resource, and Marco to find replacements.
Nothing doing!
I'm thinking that some of you have had bad star rollover switches in your TWD's in the past and might have been in this position. If so, where did you get your replacements if not from a Stern distributor?
Part number is 520-6824-18.
Thanks.

https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4379

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/520-6824-1X

I have 2 of the PBL ones in my TWD Pro, and confirm they are the correct part and work great.

#5852 6 years ago

Hi there,
I got an issue.
Turned on today...and no GI
Check points
5v ok
12v ok
-12v ok (-12,6v)
18v ok (16,5v seems weak)
20 ok ( 20,9v)
50v ...70v!

All fuses are ok

Got an issue on 50v. What do I need to check and replace?
Thanks

#5853 6 years ago

Édit: i measured thèses tensions on my Met and are the same. So I guess it is normal.
However the leds 9 to 12 on the driver board are off.
Any ideas?

#5854 6 years ago

Does anyone know if anyone sells a Fish Tank like the Premium but for Pro? Not the topper but for the inside where the Premiums have them? I havent seen this sold aftermarket...

#5855 6 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Édit: i measured thèses tensions on my Met and are the same. So I guess it is normal.
However the leds 9 to 12 on the driver board are off.
Any ideas?

Close the coin door and they will come on.

#5856 6 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Close the coin door and they will come on.

Coin door is closed.
On my Met leds 5 and 17 are on or off when coin door is closed or not.

So I guess leds 9 to 12 must be in relation with GI? No voltage is coming in J15?

#5857 6 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Does anyone know if anyone sells a Fish Tank like the Premium but for Pro? Not the topper but for the inside where the Premiums have them? I havent seen this sold aftermarket...

here you go https://www.amazon.com/Walking-Dead-Season-Limited-Blu-ray/dp/B00CATONCA/ref=tmm_mfc_title_1

#5858 6 years ago

Yep several of us have done this and it looks awesome, especially when you add the mezelmod game controlled lighting installed under the tank
https://mezelmods.com/collections/walking-dead-pinball-mods/products/illuminated-fish-tank-walking-dead-pro

Quoted from MightyGrave:

here you go amazon.com link »

#5859 6 years ago

After playing maybe 50 games with the new code and the original music I gotta say I miss the Cleland mod! I don't watch the show but I like the call outs and the slight differences in the music. Does it matter what order I install the new color DMD software or the new music software?

#5860 6 years ago
Quoted from Pale_Purple:

Does it matter what order I install the new color DMD software or the new music software?

No, it really doesn't matter. I didn't realize the new code for the ColorDMD was out yet, though.

#5861 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

No, it really doesn't matter. I didn't realize the new code for the ColorDMD was out yet, though.

You're right. Someone earlier in this thread said it was updated but not posted on the site yet. My brain didn't remember the last part, whoops. Thanks for the info will get the sounds going while I wait for the color. Saw a few weird things like the last digit of the score being a different color.

#5862 6 years ago
Quoted from Pale_Purple:

You're right. Someone earlier in this thread said it was updated but not posted on the site yet. My brain didn't remember the last part, whoops. Thanks for the info will get the sounds going while I wait for the color. Saw a few weird things like the last digit of the score being a different color.

There were a few flaws with some colors with the previous code 156 also. I don’t think that’s new for 160. However there are some new flaws now with horde mode that will be fixed with the newest colorDMD version. This is according to an email response I received

#5863 6 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4379
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/520-6824-1X
I have 2 of the PBL ones in my TWD Pro, and confirm they are the correct part and work great.

Wow!

You are so helpful!

This is just what I need!

Of course, I missed this in my own searches as apparently I didn't know how to look properly, using the right terms, etc.

Actually, I'm out big money, 'cause, not finding these switches at either PBL or Marco, I ordered them from a Stern dealer, plus shipping. Argh! I ordered them only hours *before* your replied to my post!

Live and learn, I guess. (Grumble, grumble...)

#5864 6 years ago

Got my loaded up premium yesterday but put some time on it tonight. I had several good games and never really saw any action from the magnets. Am I missing something?

#5865 6 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

Got my loaded up premium yesterday but put some time on it tonight. I had several good games and never really saw any action from the magnets. Am I missing something?

Check your fuse. Should be a slow blow. F7 if I remember right

#5866 6 years ago
Quoted from imagamejunky:

Check your fuse. Should be a slow blow. F7 if I remember right

that was it, thank you very much.

I am mad I did not get this game sooner. My favorite Stern by a long shot. At least I waited until the code was done.

#5867 6 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

that was it, thank you very much.
I am mad I did not get this game sooner. My favorite Stern by a long shot. At least I waited until the code was done.

You are welcome! Glad you got it fixed.
I agree with you. My absolute favorite Stern. I go back and forth saying TWD premium and IJ are my all-time favorite pins.
My 4 top recommended mods for you are:
Custom audio code, gnassels bicycle girl light. color DMD. And a big subwoofer. I just added mirror blades also recently and I think they look great on this game.
Junky

#5868 6 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

...At least I waited until the code was done.

i've done the same a finished code, on a SAM mobo, were the 2 higher points on my needing list
not evbd will think the same, but for me, its the best advice to follow actually...

#5869 6 years ago

I decided to try to make a metal apron for TWD LE.
I had to cut off 1 of the 4 holes for the score cards to allow the crossbow mech to fit. So I’m looking for some ideas on what to do with the left side.
Im leaning toward cutting out a section and adding colored plexiglass with the shadow of a hand or something like that. Let me know if you have a cool idea.

96D7A8E3-EA66-40DB-88C0-C7D99D164F91 (resized).jpeg96D7A8E3-EA66-40DB-88C0-C7D99D164F91 (resized).jpeg

#5870 6 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

I decided to try to make a metal apron for TWD LE.
I had to cut off 1 of the 4 holes for the score cards to allow the crossbow mech to fit. So I’m looking for some ideas on what to do with the left side.
Im leaning toward cutting out a section and adding colored plexiglass with the shadow of a hand or something like that.

flynnsbit is making an LCD that inserts into the apron of a Tron. This wouldn’t work for the left side due to the crossbow... but might be pretty neat for the right side with clips from the show.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tron-legacy-play-field-lcd-mod/page/3#post-4188529

#5871 6 years ago

*** Can't Hit Tunnel Shot to Save My Life! ***

I'm a novice player. I bought TWD because I'd read how fabulous it is and because I'd enjoyed playing a hundred-or-so sub-twenty-million-point games on one at my local barcade. Now that I own one (my first pin of any kind), I'm really struggling to be play it well enough to actually advance through the game.

In ascending order of difficulty, I rank the shots as follows:

6. CDC
5. Barn
4. Riot
3. Arena
2. Woodbury
1. Tunnel

Tunnel, as you all know, is a "Borg" shot. It has no margin for error, as even grazing/activating a pop on the way by deflects the shot. You can't "rattle" your shot through there. It has to sail through without touching a thing 'til it finds the corner at the very back/right of the PF, etc. I first experienced a shot of this kind on KISS, and I thought it was absurdly hard there, too.

I hit Tunnel by accident far more often than I do aiming for it. When I aim, I hit it perhaps once in twenty attempts. This is a problem. To help me avoid total frustration, I have set the game to settings that allow me to make at least *some* progress toward scoring goals. I still find it murderously hard. (Believe me, I don't advance all that far, despite all the gimmies!) I typically spend most of each ball trying to clear a single bank or drop targets to earn a shot at starting a mode. I rarely get to the mode as I more often just drain trying to clear the target bank. Clearing the target bank keeps you down near the deadly slings, and once the ball gets to ricocheting around between them, it will all too often find its way into the outlanes in a flash, etc. Still, on rare occasions, I have actually started Horde. (I count four times at this point.) Being resolutely unable to hit Tunnel, this a problem, as it's just a matter of time before I'm "bitten" by an advancing walker on the middle-right. Really, my skills are not up to Horde in general, but in particular because I can't hit Tunnel.

Oh, if you're thinking my pops have switch gaps that are ultra-tight, making them ultra-sensitive, I actually got in there already to *expand* those gaps to make the pops *less* sensitive, as all that pop-bumping on every plunge was driving me bananas.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

J

#5872 6 years ago

I'm a novice player. I bought TWD because I'd read how fabulous it is and because I'd enjoyed playing a hundred-or-so sub-twenty-million-point games on one at my local barcade. Now that I own one (my first pin of any kind), I'm really struggling to be play it well enough to actually advance through the game.
6. CDC
5. Barn
4. Riot
3. Arena
2. Woodbury
1. Tunnel
Tunnel, as you all know, is a "Borg" shot. It has no margin for error, as even grazing/activating a pop on the way by deflects the shot. You can't "rattle" your shot through there. It has to sail through without touching a thing 'til it finds the corner at the very back/right of the PF, etc. I first experienced a shot of this kind on KISS, and I thought it was absurdly hard there, too.
I hit Tunnel by accident far more often than I do aiming for it. When I aim, I hit it perhaps once in twenty attempts. This is a problem. To help me avoid total frustration, I have set the game to settings that allow me to make at least *some* progress toward scoring goals. I still find it murderously hard. (Believe me, I don't advance all that far, despite all the gimmies!) I typically spend most of each ball trying to clear a single bank or drop targets to earn a shot at starting a mode. I rarely get to the mode as I more often just drain trying to clear the target bank. Clearing the target bank keeps you down near the deadly slings, and once the ball gets to ricocheting around between them, it will all too often find its way into the outlanes in a flash, etc. Still, on rare occasions, I have actually started Horde. (I count four times at this point.) Being resolutely unable to hit Tunnel, this a problem, as it's just a matter of time before I'm "bitten" by an advancing walker on the middle-right. Really, my skills are not up to Horde in general, but in particular because I can't hit Tunnel.
Oh, if you're thinking my pops have switch gaps that are ultra-tight, making them ultra-sensitive, I actually got in there already to *expand* those gaps to make the pops *less* sensitive, as all that pop-bumping on every plunge was driving me bananas.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.
J

Make sure that your pin is perfectly level. Sometimes even a little bit off will make a shot much more difficult.
Otherwise, just practice! If the game was easy, it wouldn’t be any fun.
Sounds like you need to keep improving your basic flipper skills, as the drop bank shouldn’t take most of a ball.
(Though it can!)

#5873 6 years ago

Practice! Seriously play for a week straight and only concentrate on getting the ball on the left flipper on a trap and hitting tunnel.

As for the game overall, it’s extremely hard. It takes practice. Lots of practice. 100s of hours of practice.

Skills you need to master to be successful at TWD:

Outlane nudging, drop catches, live catches, dead flips, post passing, slap saves, and depending on the tilt, slide saves.

#5874 6 years ago

8BE636AB-23B0-49A3-9666-CA3AB6CDAA1A (resized).jpeg8BE636AB-23B0-49A3-9666-CA3AB6CDAA1A (resized).jpeg

#5875 6 years ago

Is this why you wanted to disable the pops? TWD is a difficult game, not matter how you cut it. There are definitely games that play easier. TWD is not one of them. I find games like ST or SM (almost identical layout) much easier to play as all the shots return back the the flipper without much danger and the ramps are easy to hit. Yes, shots through the pops are difficult, but that's part of the game. There's no way to really make it easier other than getting the shot right. You have it at home, which means you have the luxury to practice that specific shot until your fingers bleed. You'll progress as you get better, which if you play enough, you will.

#5876 6 years ago

It doesn’t sound like this game is for you. If the pops are bugging you and the shots are so hard that you’re not having fun, then sell it and get a different game.

Lots of people have sold this game because it is frustrating. There’s a TWD LE on the market right now with “the game is too freaking hard” as the reason for selling it.

#5877 6 years ago

This is a tough game and will make you a much better player if you stick with it. Here are a couple of thoughts for you:

If you are worried about the drops, then only attack them when you have ball save on, at the beginning of a ball and early in multi-ball. The best approach is a controlled shot that 'sweeps' all three drops. This type of shot sends the ball up the playfield and not back to the flippers and slings.

If you have adjusted your Pops, then your ball save times may be shorter. The pops freeze the timer, so popping and a quick exit to the flippers is better than just wandering through and down to the flippers.

While you are teaching yourself the Tunnel shot make sure you trap up the ball and let it come to a complete rest. Then make the shot. Don't try on the fly or as it's rolling through the inlane until you can make it from a stop consistently.

The Tunnel is a tough shot, but far from impossible and it is almost risk free. Try to play entire games where the only left flipper shot is aimed at the tunnel. Focus on the skill and not the score or mode progress and if you aren't better in 1 day, then you are doing something wrong and you should get out of pinball .

#5878 6 years ago

Another technique I use on TWD is to relax a little - let the ball bounce off of the flippers while they are down to slow it down, and then “catch” it on the right flipper, and then drop the flipper to let it start rolling and then aim at the targets and shoot. This has made a world of difference on this game and has helped me to improve on other games as well.
To see good demonstrations of this technique, watch Bowen Kerins’ (PAPA) tutorials on YouTube. He has made one for TWD and even he has a tough time on this pin.

#5879 6 years ago

6. CDC
5. Barn
4. Riot
3. Arena
2. Woodbury
1. Tunnel
Any suggestions?
Thanks.
J

I just joined the club with a premium and all I can say is it is Sterns best. I could not stand playing this one out in public or at shows, because it was so brutal. There are some ways to set this game up and make it less brutal. lower pitch, disable magnets, alter game settings, etc.. and when you get better you can start adding things back. It keeps things fresh and you will get less frustrated. I love the game now and it really has that one more game feel. I played it for 3 hours straight the other night and did not want to stop. The code on this game is fantastic.

#5880 6 years ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

The Tunnel is a tough shot, but far from impossible and it is almost risk free

Risky if you hit the pops and when the ball comes back down it drains STDM. That and the magnets (prison start) can make this frustrating for some people.

#5881 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

As for the game overall, it’s extremely hard. It takes practice. Lots of practice. 100s of hours of practice.

Quoted from FatPanda:

TWD is a difficult game, not matter how you cut it. There are definitely games that play easier. TWD is not one of them.

Quoted from Black_Knight:

This is a tough game and will make you a much better player if you stick with it.

It's always reassuring to see others say this as TWD is definitely the biggest ass kicker for me in my lineup. I tend to play it in spurts as a result, but I always end up coming back for more abuse sooner or later as it's such a good game!

#5882 6 years ago

I usually put in a dozen or so games that just kick my ass, then I have one game that I do well on...it's like the carrot that it dangles in front of me. Then it proceeds to kick my ass again and again and again. But I love it.

If I want to feel good about myself, then I play ToM or Baywatch

#5883 6 years ago
Quoted from Pale_Purple:

Risky if you hit the pops and when the ball comes back down it drains STDM. That and the magnets (prison start) can make this frustrating for some people.

These are not shot risks but setup issues discussed forever here. Pop drains just mean u need better leveling. Prison magnet can be released when the crowbar hits.

Tunnel shot is safer than 99% of all other shots in pinball. To the left it hits the ww and slows the ball down. To the right it hits the ramp post and I don’t think I have ever seen it drain off that.

My point was it’s easy to practice with low risk compared to other shots. Brick arena or woodbury of the blue rubber and you r dead the drops are designed to be tough. Tunnel is designed to be hard but not dangerous- so practice and keep shooting it during a game.

#5884 6 years ago

Pop drains = leveling issue

All machines will drain from the pops on a bad bounce once in a while, but in general, the pop exit should feed the left flipper.

#5885 6 years ago

on my new premium my prison doors are taking about 4-5 shots to activate. i believe they needed adjusted somehow. ill hit them and nothing. then hit them nothing. then maybe on the third hit they respond.

anyone had to adjust them and how>?

#5886 6 years ago
Quoted from bgwilly31:

on my new premium my prison doors are taking about 4-5 shots to activate. i believe they needed adjusted somehow. ill hit them and nothing. then hit them nothing. then maybe on the third hit they respond.

Sounds like a flaky opto. Try re-seating the connectors. You can test it with your finger in switch test mode. It should register every time the beam is broken.

#5887 6 years ago
Quoted from bgwilly31:

Do you have a protector on the magnet? Even though it is thin, the ball can catch just enough air to go over the opto beam. I had to remove mine, and now all my prison shots register.

#5888 6 years ago
Quoted from bgwilly31:

Check to see if the prison magnet is completely flush with the playfield. If there is a lip on either the front or the back, the ball will skip over the opto and not register. If you have a cliffy decal around the magent, then remove it.

If it is as flush as possible, but there is still a lip no matter how you adjust it (lip in the front, flush in the back and vice versa, then what I did was use 2 pieces of mylar to form "steps" on the playfield to flush out the front of the magnet so that it was flat. Now all of my shot register 100%

#5889 6 years ago

ugggh i was hoping it was a bit easier. so theres some sort of laser beam thats in front of the doors and thats the trigger>? Its not mechanical.

btw my game is new out of box so id assume it has no cliffy type protector.

PS. i would assume i need the protector for the bicycle girl ramp>? Maybe even the light as well for the bicycle girl. But i havent found the vendor that seels those.

#5890 6 years ago

A cake made by Jean-Phillipe (he has a spot in Vegas at the Bellagio):

01ACC6CF-C3FE-4293-A38B-41D0820C9261 (resized).jpeg01ACC6CF-C3FE-4293-A38B-41D0820C9261 (resized).jpeg

#5891 6 years ago
Quoted from bgwilly31:

ugggh i was hoping it was a bit easier. so theres some sort of laser beam thats in front of the doors and thats the trigger>? Its not mechanical.
btw my game is new out of box so id assume it has no cliffy type protector.
PS. i would assume i need the protector for the bicycle girl ramp>? Maybe even the light as well for the bicycle girl. But i havent found the vendor that seels those.

There is an opto in front of the doors that triggers the hits.

The bicycle girl light mod is made by pinsider @gnassel.

The bicycle girl ramp protector is sold by cliffy.

#5892 6 years ago
Quoted from bgwilly31:

So you are saying that the doors aren't opening on the first hit, right? They aren't supposed to. The default settings have 5 "prison" letters lit when you start a game. You will have to hit the doors twice before the doors will open. If you have changed the settings in the adjustments menu from the default to something else then you may have to hit the doors MORE than twice. For example, if you set it to start the game with only 3 letters lit then you would have to hit the doors 4 times before they open. Start a game without the glass on and break the opto beam with your finger. You should hear a sound and light a prison letter with each hit.
Hope this helps.
Junky

#5893 6 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

There is an opto in front of the doors that triggers the hits.
The bicycle girl light mod is made by pinsider gnassel.
The bicycle girl ramp protector is sold by cliffy.

the bicycle girl ramp protector is a must mod right>? does one just pm "Cliffy"

#5894 6 years ago

Does anyone know why Stern made the skill shot zombie male? Seems like it was female originally.

CEB219AE-FE02-4B83-9E2D-ED6911609B3F (resized).jpegCEB219AE-FE02-4B83-9E2D-ED6911609B3F (resized).jpeg

09D94060-D1AC-4200-8C75-4F3992C0366E (resized).png09D94060-D1AC-4200-8C75-4F3992C0366E (resized).png

#5895 6 years ago
Quoted from bgwilly31:

I usually email him and he will invoice me. I’ll pm you his info.

#5896 6 years ago

AMC request, along with a few zombie death DMD animations they had to change.

Quoted from Chambahz:

Does anyone know why Stern made the skill shot zombie male? Seems like it was female originally.

#5897 6 years ago
Quoted from bgwilly31:

Wasn't a "must" mod for me. I got mine in mid 2016 and the ramp flap has foam on the bottom to protect the PF and the shot was smooth right out of the box. I was ready to do some work on it after reading posts about it before I got it but it turned out no tweaking was needed.

Except adding Gnassel's flickering light mod of course. That IS a must

#5898 6 years ago

You funny, bruh'. That was sixteen years ago! A.I. is still my dawg!

#5899 6 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Practice! Seriously play for a week straight and only concentrate on getting the ball on the left flipper on a trap and hitting tunnel.
Skills you need to master to be successful at TWD:
Outlane nudging, drop catches, live catches, dead flips, post passing, slap saves, and depending on the tilt, slide saves.

Fair enough. Time to put in a solid week of practice and see where I end up. I've played c. two-hundred games to date, averaging 10M on three balls.

My nudging is poorly timed and ineffectual. I often drop catch, but I flip instantly. It's not like a true "catch." I just meet the ball with the flipper up, then decelerate the ball by lowering it with my flipper, then flipping instantly. Kind of like a tip in basketball. I rarely if ever do live catches on this pin. I began learning them on my first love, IM, since the ball comes to the right flipper from the pops on that pin in a way that invites a live catch. ToM is another title that invites *lots* of right-flipper live catches. My dead flipping has come a long way. I'd say it's one of the first flipper skills players begin to improve on when they commit to getting better. I can post pass reasonably well, allowing me to transfer a cradled ball from one flipper to the other, etc. I will invariably post pass to my left flipper whenever Extra Ball is lit. I've never done a slap save, I don't think. I don't really try to save SDTM drains. I fight outlane drains as much as I can, but not well.

Thanks for your reply to my post!

#5900 6 years ago

for sure, TWD is one of the hardest pinball...
that not means newbie cant buy/play it, but frustration will be there more than often
following all has been said above, if you still have no fun with it, i agree about thinking for a sale, and going for something more "easy"

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

7,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
9,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sacramento, CA
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Newton, NJ
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 11,804 posts in this topic. You are on page 118 of 237.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twd-club-only-walkers-not-welcome/page/118 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.