R0010351 (resized).jpg
3A806D11-0414-4B59-896B-4EC5124E108B (resized).jpeg
20240218_165719 (resized).jpg
20240218_165740 (resized).jpg
IMG_1737 (resized).png
Pinside_forum_5037339_1681555 (resized).jpg
pb39 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 11,799 posts in this topic. You are on page 117 of 236.
#5801 6 years ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

Wasn’t the Woodbury sign factory? I always thought it was.

No, but that's the sign of a truly great mod when people assume it's factory. A lot of people have copied him, but I believe Joe from Laseriffic should get credit for that one.

#5802 6 years ago
Quoted from Pale_Purple:

This is dumb, I recently got my first color dmd. So when I update this I know I'll lose the settings/high scores, and the custom music (got the game with it, hopefully easy to replace) but will I lose the color dmd setting or file or anything?

No. Updating your gamecode to either stern’s factory 1.60 or to one of the custom mixed 1.60’s on this forum will not change anything with your colordmd software. However, you will have some very minor graphic errors with the current colordmd software after you update your game code to 1.60. Specifically in Horde mode. Colordmd will be releasing an update for this later.
Junky

#5803 6 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

I have the same new TWD PRO and no airballs on the right ramp. THe only way I can get an airball is if I do a combo of inner loop and right ramp with left flipper if I fire back at full speed. This is rare and no ramp guard is necessary IMO. The game slows down after a few hundred plays.

yep, same for me, only happends in this case too

#5804 6 years ago

I got the ramp jump shot yesterday. Ended up a 2 in one... after coming around the orbit I one timed it up the arena ramp a million miles an hour, flew to the other ramp, gave me bicycle girl switch and then came flying down bicycle girl ramp and SDTM

Intense !!!

#5805 6 years ago

*** Struggling to Update Code on Pro ***

Hi.

At the risk of revisiting an oft-discussed subject, I can't get my board for recognize the freshly formatted USB drive with code that was downloaded directly to the drive from Stern's site. The file, as you all will remember, is apparently a BIN file. Can such a file just go straight onto the USB drive, or must I extract it first? In which case, what freeware extractor would you suggest? When I read threads about other people who have struggled with this process - for SW, for instance - they talk about "sdk" files. Is that what I have to extract from this BIN?

And if you're thinking my drive needs formatting, I have formatted this drive in all available formats, one after the other, and none has worked. I have also tried a second USB drive, from a different manufacturer, again using all three formatting schemes (exFAT, FAT, NTSI).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Jason

#5806 6 years ago

I thought there was a switch you need to turn on for code to update. Thats the only thing i can think of.

#5807 6 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

I thought there was a switch you need to turn on for code to update. Thats the only thing i can think of.

Dip switch 8

#5808 6 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

Hi.

Sorry to leave that detail out: you're right, dip switch #8 must be in the on position to do this procedure, followed by a resetting of the machine, followed by the insertion of the USB, etc.

I know the sequence. I have the manual pages in front of me, as well as links to at least a few YouTube tutorials. The drive is my undoing. I don't want to drive to a computer store to buy yet another drive if I can make either of my current drives work.

J

#5809 6 years ago

download the pro software from sterns website - check the filename as a .BIN and NOT a underscoreBIN

copy it to the root / of your USB stick.

You don't need to do anything else...

Cheers,
Neil.

#5810 6 years ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

Hi.
At the risk of revisiting an oft-discussed subject, I can't get my board for recognize the freshly formatted USB drive with code that was downloaded directly to the drive from Stern's site. The file, as you all will remember, is apparently a BIN file. Can such a file just go straight onto the USB drive, or must I extract it first? In which case, what freeware extractor would you suggest? When I read threads about other people who have struggled with this process - for SW, for instance - they talk about "sdk" files. Is that what I have to extract from this BIN?
And if you're thinking my drive needs formatting, I have formatted this drive in all available formats, one after the other, and none has worked. I have also tried a second USB drive, from a different manufacturer, again using all three formatting schemes (exFAT, FAT, NTSI).
Jason

Do not look at the update procedures for another Pin. SW is based on Spike and TWD is a SAM system, completely different.

If you just placed the .BIN file on the drive and formatted in FAT32 it should work. Only thing that can be wrong is the size of the disk. It should preferably be as small as possible. I always use a 8GB Kingston drive and it has never failed yet with any machine (updated many Stern and JJP).

#5811 6 years ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

If you just placed the .BIN file on the drive and formatted in FAT32 it should work. Only thing that can be wrong is the size of the disk. It should preferably be as small as possible. I always use a 8GB Kingston drive and it has never failed yet with any machine (updated many Stern and JJP).

That's all I've done, and the drives are small - 4GB Data Traveler and an 8GB Micro Center.

#5812 6 years ago

That's all I've done, and the drives are small - 4GB Data Traveler and an 8GB Micro Center.

I just checked, the file for the PRO on Sterns website does not need unzipping or anything. Does the Pin go to the updater screen when switch 8 is turned on ?

#5813 6 years ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

I just checked, the file for the PRO on Sterns website does not need unzipping or anything. Does the Pin go to the updater screen when switch 8 is turned on ?

Yes: flipping dip switch #8 switches the pin's menu to the update sequence, first asking me to press select to reset the pin, and then prompting the insertion of the drive, etc.

#5814 6 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

Bit value can build quite high, although no one is trying to build it up. with double scoring and an accidental X you could win a match by draining!

I paid attention to it and X doesn't work on the outlane drain.

#5815 6 years ago

Have the drive inserted before you reset, not after.

#5816 6 years ago

Just make sure the file name is TWD160.BIN on the root file system of your memory stick.

#5817 6 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Just make sure the file name is TWD160.BIN on the root file system of your memory stick.

The file name can be anything... as long as the .bin extension is there. Also should be the only file on the drive for easy install, but if you have multiple files it will allow you to select which one in the menu on the DMD.

#5818 6 years ago

Hi.
Jason

If you’ve tried formatting in fat32 and then placing the bin file in the root of the drive, and your TWD still doesn’t recognize the file, then I suggest trying another usb stick. I had a similar problem when I first tried updating my TWD as well. I tried everything I could think of. In the end I tried a different usb stick and BAM it worked perfectly. I have no explanation as to why one brand/model worked when the other didn’t.
Good luck

#5819 6 years ago

I had to create a way to see the amazing translite on my pre even when the game is off, I'm gonna guess this is something many others have already done but figured id post it and now I'm gonna have to outfit all the pins this way. Simple 2' strip of green leds wired to a plugin transformer and I attached to the front of the flu bulb worked quite well, thinking WWhite might be better but when the game is on its a nice blend.

DSC03995 (resized).JPGDSC03995 (resized).JPG

DSC04003 (resized).JPGDSC04003 (resized).JPG

DSC04008 (resized).JPGDSC04008 (resized).JPG

#5820 6 years ago
Quoted from imagamejunky:

If you’ve tried formatting in fat32 and then placing the bin file in the root of the drive, and your TWD still doesn’t recognize the file, then I suggest trying another usb stick. I had a similar problem when I first tried updating my TWD as well. I tried everything I could think of. In the end I tried a different usb stick and BAM it worked perfectly. I have no explanation as to why one brand/model worked when the other didn’t.
Good luck

This^^^^

#5821 6 years ago

*** Aggravated by Ball Lingering in Pop Bumpers. Are There Fixes? ***

I just bought a TWD Pro. I played another example of a Pro a fair amount at my local barcade, so I understood the pops and how the ball can hang out in there for too long before it dribbles out into the area above the flippers.

Now that I have the pin in my home, I'm truly exasperated by the pops. The ball can't escape. That lowest pop bumper is like a gate keeper. Each time the ball tries to trickle past, the pop says, "Not so fast!" and sends the ball ricocheting back up into the pops for yet another bash around, etc., etc., etc.

I want to disable the pops. I hate waiting for the ball to escape from the pops. It's just too much time to stand there and watch the ball dance. I did see a game-settings menu item addressing how "hard" the pops are. Could that have anything to do with how sensitive/powerful they are? Or is that just about scoring?

Would the game's scoring be completely disrupted if I disabled the pops? Obviously I wouldn't get my pops points, but would other scoring sequences be foiled, etc? What would be the simplest way to do it? I looked at their connections beneath the PF but there are no simple connectors, only soldered leads.

I've played perhaps a hundred games and the problem isn't getting any better. What can I do? It's really turning me off.

J

#5822 6 years ago

I just bought a TWD Pro. I played another example of a Pro a fair amount at my local barcade, so I understood the pops and how the ball can hang out in there for too long before it dribbles out into the area above the flippers.
Now that I have the pin in my home, I'm truly exasperated by the pops. The ball can't escape. That lowest pop bumper is like a gate keeper. Each time the ball tries to trickle past, the pop says, "Not so fast!" and sends the ball ricocheting back up into the pops for yet another bash around, etc., etc., etc.
I want to disable the pops. I hate waiting for the ball to escape from the pops. It's just too much time to stand there and watch the ball dance. I did see a game-settings menu item addressing how "hard" the pops are. Could that have anything to do with how sensitive/powerful they are? Or is that just about scoring?
Would the game's scoring be completely disrupted if I disabled the pops? Obviously I wouldn't get my pops points, but would other scoring sequences be foiled, etc? What would be the simplest way to do it? I looked at their connections beneath the PF but there are no simple connectors, only soldered leads.
I've played perhaps a hundred games and the problem isn't getting any better. What can I do? It's really turning me off.
J

I dont seem to have that problem with mine. Is it possible that your game isnt set up at a steep enough angle?

#5823 6 years ago

Disabling the pops will really mess with well walker multiball, since the well walker jackpot is activated by the number of switch hits. I think the first jackpot is after 25 switch hits or something like that. The pops are the best way to get these.

The pops also serve as a little respite for multiball in general, especially if you're in prison/well walker MB, and want to stack bloodbath on top of that. Having the balls in the pops will afford you an opportunity to cradle a ball and go for the drops to stack.

I'm generally not a fan of messing with things from factory settings, unless there is a huge flaw in the factory setup. In this case, waiting for 10 seconds isnt a big deal really.

#5824 6 years ago

I did see a game-settings menu item addressing how "hard" the pops are. Could that have anything to do with how sensitive/powerful they are? Or is that just about scoring?
Would the game's scoring be completely disrupted if I disabled the pops? What would be the simplest way to do it? I looked at their connections beneath the PF but there are no simple connectors, only soldered leads.

The simplest way to disable them is cut the power wire going to the coil.
Do some glass-off testing with the menu item you mentioned.
You might post a video if you think your game is acting strangely.
It's your game, don't let other people tell you what to like or dislike about it.

#5825 6 years ago

I was just pointing out some huge gameplay aspects being affected, as he asked. He can disable the pops if he wants. Just remember to engage them again if he sells.

#5826 6 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

The simplest way to disable them is cut the power wire going to the coil.
Do some glass-off testing with the menu item you mentioned.
You might post a video if you think your game is acting strangely.
It's your game, don't let other people tell you what to like or dislike about it.

I know you mean well, but this is terrible advice.
The pop switches are really helpful in well walker multi ball and Riot modes.

I expect the OP just needs to ensure the game is properly levelled.

#5827 6 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

I expect the OP just needs to ensure the game is properly levelled.

Or he could adjust the switches of the pop bumpers to be just a little bit less sensitive.

#5828 6 years ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

Or he could adjust the switches of the pop bumpers to be just a little bit less sensitive.

Exactly - that's what he should do. Specifically on the bottom bumper.
If it still bugs him that much he should just sell the game, as it appears it's not a good game choice for him.

#5829 6 years ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

Thank you, all of you, for your helpful replies.

Are you telling me an adjustment of the pops will have to come from the switches themselves, *not* from the Service Menu?

If so, just what is that setting in the menu for the pops ("Easy," "Normal," "Hard")?

FYI: the pin's pitch is set to slightly steeper than normal, but nothing crazy.

Jason

#5830 6 years ago

Make sure it is level left to right on the playfield, not the cabinet.

#5831 6 years ago

Are you telling me an adjustment of the pops will have to come from the switches themselves, *not* from the Service Menu?

Correct. If you want the pop bumper to be less sensitive, you will need to physically adjust the switch underneath the playfield. When the ball hits the skirt, it presses down on a spoon, which in turn triggers a leaf switch. You can make the pop bumper less sensitive by slightly widening the leaf switch gap. This will give you an idea of what the mech looks like below the playfield ...

Pop Bumper (resized).jpgPop Bumper (resized).jpg

#5832 6 years ago

Thank you, Gweem, for your photo of the pop mechanics. I addressed the switches, one by one, widening the gap, and that helped a lot. My first go 'round, I all but disabled the pops with a gap of 2.5mm. Now I'm at c. 1mm and things are a little better in terms of time lingered in the pops. SUPER helpful!

And thank you, Fox, for your suggestion re: leveling the PF, not the cab'. Got it.

Jason

#5833 6 years ago

J

I found this to be most annoying on the barn shot. Use a small piece of Velcro to change the balls trajectory. The trick is to get the size and placement just right so the ball goes past the pop but does not drain SDTM. Try it, it makes the game way faster. The only downside is you loose the ability to park balls in the pops during multiball.

IMG_20180113_105003 (resized).jpgIMG_20180113_105003 (resized).jpg

#5834 6 years ago

Thank you, Gweem, for your photo of the pop mechanics. I addressed the switches, one by one, widening the gap, and that helped a lot. My first go 'round, I all but disabled the pops with a gap of 2.5mm. Now I'm at c. 1mm and things are a little better in terms of time lingered in the pops. SUPER helpful!
And thank you, Fox, for your suggestion re: leveling the PF, not the cab'. Got it.
Jason

Also try setting your coils to "soft". MORE than enough power for home use, easier on your plastics and may also help with your pop issue.

#5835 6 years ago

So i decided to upgrade my membership to the TWD Premium Club. I braved a winter storm last night for 7 hour drive 30mph on the highway and howling winds. Just so i could have it for the weekend. Pics incoming. Got my first game in on it after set up and wow. The light show alone is worth the upgrade.

PS ---Any helpful hints on scoring. Like how to use walker bombs. How you get walker bombs. And how many you get etc. Also where to shoot the crossbow>?

#5836 6 years ago
Quoted from bgwilly31:

Any helpful hints on scoring. Like how to use walker bombs. How you get walker bombs. And how many you get etc.

Read through this. It explains a lot ...

http://tiltforums.com/t/walking-dead-wiki-rulesheet/122

#5837 6 years ago

Has anyone ever made metal aprons for the premium/LE version?
I would really like to get one to replace the crappy plastic

#5838 6 years ago
Quoted from bgwilly31:

So i decided to upgrade my membership to the TWD Premium Club. I braved a winter storm last night for 7 hour drive 30mph on the highway and howling winds. Just so i could have it for the weekend. Pics incoming. Got my first game in on it after set up and wow. The light show alone is worth the upgrade.
PS ---Any helpful hints on scoring. Like how to use walker bombs. How you get walker bombs. And how many you get etc. Also where to shoot the crossbow>?

Congrats as it's a keeper. Good choice. I don't think we need any more stock pics though as there are 3 years of them up here. Save a server that's running on diesel-powered electricity

#5839 6 years ago

All of the talk of air balls recently reminded I'd been seeing a few more than usual. Can't say I've ever seen flipper rubber wear like this... Maybe I play it too much...

MVIMG_20180114_134626 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20180114_134626 (resized).jpg

MVIMG_20180114_134525 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20180114_134525 (resized).jpg

#5840 6 years ago

I got a game with a topper already installed on it. Trying to take the backglass off to update the code and the lock seems to be getting stuck on something/won't unlock/move. Has anyone else run into this issue before?

#5841 6 years ago
Quoted from Pale_Purple:

I got a game with a topper already installed on it. Trying to take the backglass off to update the code and the lock seems to be getting stuck on something/won't unlock/move. Has anyone else run into this issue before?

LOL was just using the wrong keys boy am I dumb no wonder I can't crack 500mil. Can't wait for the new code to install.

#5842 6 years ago
Quoted from Pale_Purple:

LOL was just using the wrong keys boy am I dumb no wonder I can't crack 500mil. Can't wait for the new code to install.

At least you didn’t force it and break the key off in the lock and then have to drill it out. I can’t say the same.

#5843 6 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

At least you didn’t force it and break the key off in the lock and then have to drill it out. I can’t say the same.

ouch!

#5844 6 years ago

Anyone have pictures or instructions on how to hook up the topper?

#5845 6 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

Anyone have pictures or instructions on how to hook up the topper?

Hi Ron,

The following video from Pinball Supernova may prove useful.

Gord

#5846 6 years ago
Quoted from GRB1959:

Hi Ron,
The following video from Pinball Supernova may prove useful.
Gord
» YouTube video

Thanks Gord

#5847 6 years ago

Anyone know if the color dmd guys are going to update the code to align with 1.6 firmware?

#5848 6 years ago

It's updated. It's not on the Colordmd site yet.

Quoted from bent98:

Anyone know if the color dmd guys are going to update the code to align with 1.6 firmware?

#5849 6 years ago

I remember you from Vpforums/Universe days.
Good to hear.

#5850 6 years ago

*** Source for Replacement Star Rollover Switches? ***

Hi.

Speaking to a tech at Stern today I learned that my star rollover switches in my TWD Pro need to be replaced. I'm disappointed, naturally, but better to just replace them and move on. So, my first impulse was to check Pinball Life, Pinball Resource, and Marco to find replacements.

Nothing doing!

I'm thinking that some of you have had bad star rollover switches in your TWD's in the past and might have been in this position. If so, where did you get your replacements if not from a Stern distributor?

Part number is 520-6824-18.

Thanks.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 8.95
$ 16.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

6,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, OH
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 26.95
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

9,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sacramento, CA
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Moravia, NY
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 11,799 posts in this topic. You are on page 117 of 236.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twd-club-only-walkers-not-welcome/page/117 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.