Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 75 days ago by Coyote
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 5 months ago

Currently servicing a TW, and the powerball detection sensor in the trough, is not doing a good job detecting the sensor. I determined that I needed to re-flow the sensor board, and that helped. But now I have a question about the "alignment" of the sensor itself.

Currently its working, but the metal ball needs to physically touch the Hall sensor to give the proper detection. Seems to me that this is not ideal because the ball would end up striking when kicked from the drain, and that might result in damage. Just seems like there should be some clearance here. But if I provide any clearance all, the metal ball will not be detected.

So how is this thing supposed to work. Should the ball physically touch the Hall sensor? Is there an adjustment where I can "dial it up" and add the clearance so the ball wont strike the Hall sensor, and it will be detected propoerly?

Thanks
B

#2 5 months ago

One thing I can offer... on my TZ the ball does not touch the sensor. There is a gap of several mm. I can take a photo for you when I get home tonight. Also on mine when the sensor acts up I reseat the plug from the sensor to the tiny board and that fixes it. Not sure if you’ve tried that.

#3 5 months ago

The sensor should not need to physically touch the call (I guess that would be a switch haha ). The alignment is important though - it should be at roughly a 45 degree angle if I recall correctly. Try unplugging it and reseating as Jackd mentioned - you may also want to consider that the board itself is the culprit. Not sure how to test that without a replacement board though.

#4 5 months ago

Yeah, there should be a gap of about 1/8" between the sensor and the ball. Yeah, the ball hitting the sensor will eventually break it, sadly. (Speaking from personal experience.)

There's no adjustment on the factory board, but may be on 3rd party replacements. Usually on this one, adjustment isn't needed because of the proximity of the sensor to the ball. (On other games, where there's a quarter inch of wood between the sensor and ball, adjustment is more useful.) If it's 'not always' picking the ball up, likely the cable between the controller board and the sensor board is loose, the pins not making good connection. One of the recommendations there is to remove the headers and direct-solder the wires.

Edit: I am also assuming that the linked game is TZ Twilight Zone, and not "TW" or Time Warp.

1 week later
#5 5 months ago

Thanks for the help guys. I got it figured out. The aftermarket sensor was not properly mounted, and the adjustment was way off.

#6 5 months ago

Still working through the ball detection function here. The sensor appears to be working when being tested in the diag mode. But not in play.

Question. When the powerball is kicked into the lane, and plunged into play. Is it supposed to be able to make it to the upper playfield to "battle the power"? Common sense to me says that maybe that function is disabled. But During play, I can indeed get the power ball into the UPF to battle the power.

#7 5 months ago
Quoted from wrd1972:

Still working through the ball detection function here. The sensor appears to be working when being tested in the diag mode. But not in play.

The sensor/switch should NOT be active when there is a powerball in Trough #1 position.

Quoted from wrd1972:

Question. When the powerball is kicked into the lane, and plunged into play. Is it supposed to be able to make it to the upper playfield to "battle the power"? Common sense to me says that maybe that function is disabled. But During play, I can indeed get the power ball into the UPF to battle the power.

When the game is in powerball mode (NOT Powerball Mania), no, no ball will be allowed up in the powerfield.

#8 5 months ago

Got it.

One more question. If the powerball is the lead ball in the trough, and once its kicked into the lane. Are there any visual or audible indicators that its the PB that is now in the lane and ready to be plunged?

#9 5 months ago
Quoted from wrd1972:

Got it.
One more question. If the powerball is the lead ball in the trough, and once its kicked into the lane. Are there any visual or audible indicators that its the PB that is now in the lane and ready to be plunged?

Yeah, the game enters Powerball mode. Special animation, the game growls "Powerball" at you - all the same things it does when the powerball is released form the gumball.

#10 5 months ago

Got it. That will help.
Thanks

2 months later
#11 75 days ago
Quoted from wrd1972:

Got it. That will help.
Thanks

Did you ever come up with a solution to you issue. I’m having the same exact issue with mine.

#12 75 days ago

It was the adjusting pot on the aftermarket transmitter. It has to seemingly be turned an awful lot to find the sweetspot. But that did dial it in.

Not sure if there is a similar adjustment on the original one.

#13 75 days ago
Quoted from wrd1972:

Not sure if there is a similar adjustment on the original one.

OEM boards did not require adjustment, no.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
6,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ottawa, ON
Trade
Sale Pending!
Columbia, MD

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside