(Topic ID: 218026)

TV options for an outdoor area -- suggestions?

By TractorDoc

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Have you successfully used an indoor television outside?”

• Yes 8 votes
      73%
    • No 3 votes
      27%

(11 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Sony Bravia (resized).jpg
    IMG_7545 (resized).JPG
    IMG_7946 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TractorDoc.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I have not bought a television in over 10 years, so I am quite behind when it comes to the latest and greatest in TV technology. The Mrs. is wanting to put a small television in an outdoor porch/living room and I'm trying to research options.

I am not concerned as much about precipitation; it will be out of the elements but more so temperature fluctuation/condensation. I have looked at outdoor vs. "standard" TVs and have also noticed the price difference -- I realize outdoor TVs are more expensive for a reason.

Anyone else using a standard television for occasional outdoor use? What are the better options nowadays. . . LED, LCD, Plasma????

Picture of the area:

IMG_7946 (resized).JPGIMG_7946 (resized).JPG

Television will be in the left corner area, behind the flower box.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

I carry mine in and out each day I want to use it. I have an HDMI cable there that has a cap on it to keep water and spiders out, and a wall mount I can quickly hang it and remove it from.

This is the approach I was considering. In reality we'd probably only use it outdoors to watch a movie or so she can watch her afternoon programs. I'm not a big TV watcher but do like to have it on sometimes for background noise -- usually the radio does the job but there is something neat about adding the visual aspect.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

#19 5 years ago

This was not meant to be a controversial thread. . . just interested in what others have done for an outdoor television situation. I'm not wanting to spend thousands for an "outdoor" television; if a standard TV would only last a couple months outside then it is obviously not worth leaving one there. Several responses suggest that a regular TV could work -- I realize I am taking a chance with the location but honestly if it does die that is on me, warranty or not.

Thanks again for the suggestions, I appreciate the help. I added a poll for a simple Yes or No answer.

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

It is interesting that you have an outdoor porch with what looks like no access to the inside of your home. Was there once a door? Was this once a screened in porch? Or was it once part of a wrap around porch?

Don't have the before pictures here at work to prove it, but I doubt you'd recognize the house when I bought the place. The original structure is a stone foundation with barn beam timbers supporting the floors -- originally built in the 1800s. Cool history but eliminates any chance of pinball machines in the basement. Entrance to the basement is actually behind the flower box in the picture -- stairs go down to the left. There was originally a door behind the couch area in the picture that led to a small kitchen/laundry room area; I had to rework the entire floor plan of the house because it was chopped up between the main living area and a mother in law suite. The wife's closet lives there now and the master bath sits behind the window. Worked on the inside for two years before moving in, finally getting a chance to work on the outside.
    Picture from earlier in the year gives some perspective of door to porch distance -- not to far a walk. Painted the posts/added new railing to keep the dogs in since this picture.

IMG_7545 (resized).JPGIMG_7545 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TractorDoc.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tv-options-for-an-outdoor-area-suggestions?tu=TractorDoc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.