7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Capture-bowen_(resized).JPG
There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 7 years ago

This past February spelled the end of 6 years of contract work sending me back and forth to Pittsburgh. The end of that work also means the end of the PAPA tutorial video series.

Or does it?

That is up to you. I'd love to make more tutorials, but I need help to cover expenses, both my own and the Replay Foundation's.

If you're interested, join my Patreon and we'll work together to build more of these things.

http://patreon.com/pinball

If this works, we'll make more; if it doesn't, it's been an honor to share pinball with the world.

I'm especially thankful to Pinside for the kind words so many people have had about the videos; it's been really cool to hear stories about how players have learned and improved, or how a video convinced someone to look at a machine they might not otherwise have given a few more plays.

Please let me know what questions or concerns you have, and spread the word if you want to!
- Bowen

#2 7 years ago

I'm not posting this to incite, as I'm a friend, follower and supporter of Bowen's... but I do have some questions/concerns.

The link above states that for every $1500 pledged, you will publish a single video tutorial. To this I ask, why? Under the valid assumption that a trip from MA to Pittsburgh incurs the following standard costs:
Flight
Hotel
Meals
Compensation for your time (in lieu of your normal job)

These are fixed costs. In other words, are you really going to fly to Pittsburgh to film a single 30 minute to hour long tutorial and go home? I guess I'm unclear as to the editing process. I've always been amazed at your amazing ability to play a handful of games, usually at a highly skilled level, comment over them while playing, with an in-depth game knowledge.

So, I guess what I'm really asking is this. Does it take several days to film a single tutorial and most of the games are throw-aways with you playing numerous games, reciting the same information, over and over, in the hopes that you have a keeper or two? Or, do you just play a few games, comment over it, edit it, and whatever happens happens? Why couldn't a $1500 pledge (seems to be a reasonable amount for a few days of travel), cover a bunch of tutorials?

A sort of unrelated comment on this quest for knowledge. I don't think there's any casual or serious pinball player who has not improved their skills, knowledge, or interest from watching your PAPA tutorials. Your voice is clear, well understood, and the random funny quips or self punishment keep the interest high throughout. There are so many more games I think we'd all like to see covered in depth. That being said, you are the only person who has done these tutorials to my knowledge on the PAPA site. While your talents should not go without proper merit, are there not others local to Pittsburgh who are highly skills players and, either naturally or limited practice, could likewise add to the tutorial database at an almost zero cost to PAPA/ReplayFx (equipment setup, editing and publishing aside).

#3 7 years ago

Love your work, on TWD video you said 'Wes Welker' multiball was that intentional tribute to Wes or a slip of the tongue?

#4 7 years ago

Contributing $10 per video. Thanks Bowen!

#5 7 years ago

Contributed. BAO!

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from wxforecaster:

Does it take several days to film a single tutorial and most of the games are throw-aways with you playing numerous games, reciting the same information, over and over, in the hopes that you have a keeper or two? Or, do you just play a few games, comment over it, edit it, and whatever happens happens? Why couldn't a $1500 pledge (seems to be a reasonable amount for a few days of travel), cover a bunch of tutorials?

A few reasons:

- There are many other costs that weren't included in your estimate. A major cost is the work Replay Foundation/PAPA does to set up, record, edit, and publish the videos. These donations will pay Replay/PAPA to do this work, and these costs are included in my estimate. Replay/PAPA's work is per video, not per trip.
- It's difficult to predict the amount of time a tutorial will take. It could take one game... or it could take 20+. I'm always hopeful it's a one-shot, but it really can take much longer. Whatever we do has to look like it was done on the first try!
- Another major cost not included is income tax, and there are other small things not listed (ground transportation, etc).
- The time and effort to produce a strategy guide and voice-over video is also included in the estimate.
- There is a history of crowd-funding efforts in pinball overpromising and underproducing. I'm guaranteeing with this campaign that I can accomplish the listed goals as a minimum, but it is not necessarily a maximum. As we do this, we'll find out how much it really costs, and what we can do.

Thanks for the question and I hope this clarifies my thinking on costs.

#8 7 years ago

I know you have written rules docs for example Tspp. Would you be willing to do for other games?

#9 7 years ago

Keep up the great work Bowen! My all time favorite tutorial was the Roadshow. If you have not seen it yet go check it out. Great fun and very informative . I hope to see many more of these great tutorials!

#10 7 years ago

I will be supporting this effort as I have really enjoyed the videos and spent many an hour watching and learning - all while feeding my pinball addiction... (My wife says, "Why do you watch pinball when you already play it a lot anyways?!?!?!?" --> Ha! How little does she understand...)

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from bkerins:

A few reasons:
- There are many other costs that weren't included in your estimate. A major cost is the work Replay Foundation/PAPA does to set up, record, edit, and publish the videos. These donations will pay Replay/PAPA to do this work, and these costs are included in my estimate. Replay/PAPA's work is per video, not per trip.
- It's difficult to predict the amount of time a tutorial will take. It could take one game... or it could take 20+. I'm always hopeful it's a one-shot, but it really can take much longer. Whatever we do has to look like it was done on the first try!
- Another major cost not included is income tax, and there are other small things not listed (ground transportation, etc).
- The time and effort to produce a strategy guide and voice-over video is also included in the estimate.
- There is a history of crowd-funding efforts in pinball overpromising and underproducing. I'm guaranteeing with this campaign that I can accomplish the listed goals as a minimum, but it is not necessarily a maximum. As we do this, we'll find out how much it really costs, and what we can do.
Thanks for the question and I hope this clarifies my thinking on costs.

It does, and you're always welcome to stay at my place Free transportation too. There, you saved a couple hundred bucks and I might even feed ya.

#12 7 years ago

Contributed - Awesome material

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I know you have written rules docs for example Tspp. Would you be willing to do for other games?

As part of the Patreon I will write a strategy guide (not a full rule sheet) for one game per month, voted on by patrons.

With the amount of time and effort it takes to really do a deep rule sheet (TSPP is ~30 pages, AC/DC is even longer at http://bit.ly/acdcrulesheet ...) I felt I could not include this in the Patreon without compromising the quality of the work.

I am willing to do it, and did the AC/DC rule sheet in exchange for donations to Pinball Outreach Project. I'd prefer to do that than to make it a "job" to write rule sheets.

#14 7 years ago

Bowen, Your tutorials have absolutely made me a better player. Thanks for being awesome.
-Jason

#15 7 years ago

I'm in on this. I have watched at least 6 videos. A donation is warranted and your commentary is hilarious. Just don't do the one flipper thing like on funhouse haha.

Perhaps a revisit to older games that have newer code would be cool as well.

Jim

#16 7 years ago

I just had to contribute to this.

Bowen's videos has been a huge part of my pinball obsession in the latest years, and I have had hours of first class entertainment and help with them.

Many others have followed in his footsteps but he is still the best at doing the pinball tutorials. His videos are always highly entertaining and I always learn something new, watching them.

I hope he is able to continue making videos for many years.

Best of luck with the campaign, Bowen!

Only wish is that the papa guys could go to California and steal Karl DeAngelo's cameras

#17 7 years ago

I'll donate for sure, ST is in need of a good strategy guide.

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from Beyndtstng:

I'm in on this. I have watched at least 6 videos. A donation is warranted and your commentary is hilarious. Just don't do the one flipper thing like on funhouse haha.
Perhaps a revisit to older games that have newer code would be cool as well.
Jim

Thanks, this is definitely a plan, and one of the reasons a lot of the newer Stern machines didn't get a tutorial right away. (Star Trek has two, and even since then the code has changed significantly.)

More one-handed play, not less!

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from karl:

Only wish is that the papa guys could go to California and steal Karl DeAngelo's cameras

Thanks so much for helping! What do you mean about Karl's cameras? Also, Karl paid for those cameras and we probably shouldn't steal them. But we can, if that's what it takes.

#20 7 years ago

I just want to say that I enjoy your tutorial videos...but I'm REALLY glad to see you whenever you pop up on Pinside.

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from bkerins:

Thanks so much for helping! What do you mean about Karl's cameras? Also, Karl paid for those cameras and we probably shouldn't steal them. But we can, if that's what it takes.

Heard he is a nice guy also, and he has a great first name. Damn! Better scrap that plan.

He does have some excellent video recording equipment, though

The papa equipment is already fine, but who can argue against evolution? Some of the 2016 IFPA Pin-Masters stuff looked amazing.(especially high speed ball movement)

Another kickstarter some day, perhaps.

Anyway, best of luck on the campaign. Looking good so far

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from karl:

Heard he is a nice guy also, and he has a great first name. Damn! Better scrap that plan.
He does have some excellent video recording equipment, though
The papa equipment is already fine, but who can argue against evolution? Some of the 2016 IFPA Pin-Masters stuff looked amazing.(especially high speed ball movement)
Another kickstarter some day, perhaps.
Anyway, best of luck on the campaign. Looking good so far

What does the high speed ball movement look like? To my knowledge, PAPA cameras are recording and broadcasting in 1080p at 60 fps.

#23 7 years ago

Bowen's tutorials are the best.

I'm in!

#24 7 years ago

Bowen, thank you sincerely for sharing your pinball knowledge. Someday my fellow league players will tremble in fear at the misfortune of being in my group, thanks to you.

I'm in.

P.S. bit.ly links need a space before the right parenthesis

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Bowen, thank you sincerely for sharing your pinball knowledge. Someday my fellow league players will tremble in fear at the misfortune of being in my group, thanks to you.
I'm in.
P.S. bit.ly links need a space before the right parenthesis

Happy to help you crush fools. Link fixed. Thanks!

#26 7 years ago

When we reach $750 we'll have the vote for the first tutorial, which will then be filmed sometime between now and July.

Exclusive content has started to roll out as a benefit to backers. Check out http://patreon.com/pinball for more details, and thanks!

#27 7 years ago

15 bucks away from $750 bump!

#28 7 years ago

And over the top! Tutorial vote impending, filming scheduled for June 21.

The exclusive Game of Thrones strategy guide is available, and a voice-over to Keith Elwin's monster Thrones game video will be created soon. More info at http://patreon.com/pinball.

Thanks so much for your support!

1 week later
#29 7 years ago

Thanks to backers, we filmed a tutorial for Stern's X-Men yesterday! Now the video editing begins (thanks to MHS and the Replay Foundation). When the video is ready, it will be made available for backers on early access, then released to everyone else.

More donations mean faster turnaround for the next tutorial, and backers get to nominate and vote on exclusive strategy guides, video voice-overs, the games for tutorials, and more to come.

Thank you to the entire community for this opportunity, and best wishes to all!

See http://patreon.com/pinball for more information.

#30 7 years ago

I was'nt aware of your work! Where can these tutorials be seen,please? GB a must,as well as ST both pre.s! Thank you for your devotion and effort! Look forward to see your work!

#31 7 years ago

papa.org

#32 7 years ago

Following as I would like to view the tutorials as well

#33 7 years ago

Thank,you,AJB4!!

#34 7 years ago

Just stumbled across this thread and will contribute to the cause. My only question is how many hours will it take to cover all that WoZ has to offer? It's so deep that the tutorial may end up being longer than a Peter Jackson directors cut.

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from bkerins:

The exclusive Game of Thrones strategy guide is availabl

Where is this at?

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Where is this at?

In one of the patreon backer posts

#37 7 years ago

You're the man Bowen! Thanks for all your tutorial videos, it has certainly made me a better player. Although it could come back to bite you when we are head to head for the PAPA world championship and I school you (But that's probably many years down the road as I am just starting to get into tournaments.)

Can't wait to see the new X-Men tutorial.

#38 7 years ago

Pledge sent.

Bowen, thanks for what you are doing for pinball. Your videos are utterly awesome.

#39 7 years ago

If someone learns from something I built, then beats me down with it, I'll be very happy with that. (After a few seconds.)

#40 7 years ago

There is now a new goal after the $1000 goal (2 tutorials per 3 months). At $1250 there will be a Wizard Mode video created once per 3 months, detailing the run-up and play of a wizard mode selected by the backers. While I will attempt to achieve the wizard mode we'll probably end up cheating and setting it up a lot of the time. There are several wizard modes I've never seen. What wizard mode would you want to see in a video?

Meanwhile we've now crossed the 10000000 backer threshold (in binary). Thank you so much!

(More details at http://patreon.com/pinball.)

#41 7 years ago

Milwaukee!!!

#42 7 years ago

I have never seen Valinor

#44 7 years ago

Has anyone seen the GOT tutorial yet? How informative is it and which machine is it done on, premium or pro? Thank you Bowen!

#45 7 years ago

Patreon backers have exclusive access to a Game of Thrones strategy guide. There was a vote for a tutorial, and the winner was X-Men, and that's what we filmed (on Tuesday, June 21). Perhaps Game of Thrones will win the next vote!

In the meantime, KME's Thrones LE gameplay video shows him melting the game down and achieving just about every major goal.

Thanks!

#46 7 years ago

I've yet to see footage of FGY's Sperm Attack or WPT's Keefer Invitational.

#47 7 years ago
Quoted from bkerins:

In the meantime, KME's Thrones LE gameplay video shows him melting the game down and achieving just about every major goal.

Linky?

#48 7 years ago

One more for Keefer Invitational from WPT or Gauntlet from PotC.

#49 7 years ago

Must be either this one:

Or this one:

Just subscribe to Keith's youtube if you want to see stuff beaten into submission. He's got a video of beating last man standing, getting to end of the line ....

#50 7 years ago

Both of those are quite good thrashings. A video voice-over that accompanies and describes the top video (KME's thrashing of Thrones LE) is now available to backers. Thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
13,000 (OBO)
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Palm Desert, CA
$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tutorials-for-gb-got-woz-etc-hopefully?hl=cornycrunch and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.