View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Side-by-Side (resized).jpg
ED3E9CAD-BDD3-4045-AE28-9EF53D64125D (resized).jpeg
ACF0643D-57E6-4E36-92EF-A54404DEDC0D (resized).jpeg
D353A61B-281F-4508-8DB7-1F68F0FE004D (resized).jpeg
662D7C9D-D70D-432B-91E4-1524119701D8 (resized).jpeg
#1 3 years ago

I have owned 12 pins over the last several years. I always buy “like new” but just got my first NiB, TMNT. I just have to ask, is the playfield art supposed to look like this or is this a defect? My other sterns (Aerosmith, Metallica, Ghostbusters) are all beautiful even close up.
This game looks like someone printed the playfield art with a crappy inkjet.
What is going on?

662D7C9D-D70D-432B-91E4-1524119701D8 (resized).jpeg662D7C9D-D70D-432B-91E4-1524119701D8 (resized).jpegACF0643D-57E6-4E36-92EF-A54404DEDC0D (resized).jpegACF0643D-57E6-4E36-92EF-A54404DEDC0D (resized).jpegD353A61B-281F-4508-8DB7-1F68F0FE004D (resized).jpegD353A61B-281F-4508-8DB7-1F68F0FE004D (resized).jpegED3E9CAD-BDD3-4045-AE28-9EF53D64125D (resized).jpegED3E9CAD-BDD3-4045-AE28-9EF53D64125D (resized).jpeg
#2 3 years ago

yup that looks pretty shitty

#3 3 years ago

Yep this seems to be going around now...throw back to the shitty days

#4 3 years ago

Yup I just unboxed mine today, having same issue with mine. Less than impressed with the color saturation on the play field. Flipper mech issue had to be readjusted since it kept going out of alignment. Curious to see how common this is. If it is with all of them then I can accept this as standard, but if it’s a bad run than why did they not qc this when they received the batch of play fields.

#5 3 years ago

Looks like watching the Turtles on my old Quasar tv set - all the pixelated goodness.

#6 3 years ago

At normal viewing distance, say where you play from, this isn't hugely noticeable. That said, I can see why some people are upset. Don't let it deter you from enjoying a fun game

#7 3 years ago

Yup, this has happened on a lot of recent pros. My machine has the same grainy printing as well. It's been covered a lot in this thread. It starts pages before this, but from this page on there are a lot of people confirming that they got the grainy playfields, as this is when everyone started getting their pros delivered - https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-club2020-cowabunga-its-pizza-time/page/44

#8 3 years ago

Actually this is quite noticeable from a playing distance.
It's easy to confuse the poor quality of the print with a poor quality (noisy) photo, but that is not the case here.
I really just rolled my eyes and moved on with chipped clear on two of my games, but this is more aggravating because it can't be covered up with mylar and its not hidden behind a post or under some plastics.

#9 3 years ago

Just my two cents... this is unacceptable!! If I just dropped close to 6k I want 6k worth of quality. I'd return back to distributor & no a PF swap isn't a viable option. Someone that spent this much money shouldn't have to swap PF & a lot of us don't even feel comfortable doing so. This is why I'll never do NIB again because of piss poor QC!

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from jfrazie:

I have owned 12 pins over the last several years. I always buy “like new” but just got my first NiB, TMNT. I just have to ask, is the playfield art supposed to look like this or is this a defect? My other sterns (Aerosmith, Metallica, Ghostbusters) are all beautiful even close up.
This game looks like someone printed the playfield art with a crappy inkjet.
What is going on?
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks fine stop complaining and get ready to buy the next nib game this fall.

#11 3 years ago

that really wouldn't bother me that much. it actually looks kind of cool, like the texture of a comic book print. it was originally a comic, so just convince yourself it's authentic. but seriously, i'd keep it as is.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

that really wouldn't bother me that much. it actually looks kind of cool, like the texture of a comic book print. it was originally a comic

+1

#13 3 years ago

I think it looks like dog shit. If someone wanted a comic book they would of gotten a comic lol a comic is smaller in order to really see the dots you'd need a loop. This print screams shit quality

#14 3 years ago

I think it looks pretty bad also! Spending that much money on a new pin and get that quality is unacceptable! Just can’t believe how much of a big seller this one is at that quality. Instead of putting out numerous games a year they should just put out quality ones with finished codes. “Or all most finished “ JMO

#15 3 years ago

That would drive me crazy. Sorry to see it.

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from acedanger:

I think it looks like dog shit. If someone wanted a comic book they would of gotten a comic lol a comic is smaller in order to really see the dots you'd need a loop. This print screams shit quality

did you HAVE to downvote me to disagree with my opinion? remind me to never get into a discussion about pinball with you in person.. you'd probably kick me in the nuts!

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

did you HAVE to downvote me to disagree with my opinion? remind me to never get into a discussion about pinball with you in person.. you'd probably kick me in the nuts!

Thats how downvoting works... welcome to the internet I guess?

The feature exists for a reason.

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from Nysbadmk8:

Thats how downvoting works... welcome to the internet I guess?

thanks for having me. it's been wonderful.

#19 3 years ago

Here are 2 machines, within 2 digits of serial number, built on the same day. These images were taken yesterday with the same phone in the same spot with the same lighting. Clearly there is different qualities of print out there...hope you guys have a good distributor if you get the grainy one with vertical striations.

Side-by-Side (resized).jpgSide-by-Side (resized).jpg
#20 3 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

Ha that's what their there for.
In person you'd say that and I'd say "yeah I don't like it, looks washed out..." and then we'd move on Nothing aggressive at all.

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Ha that's what their there for.
In person you'd say that and I'd say "yeah I don't like it, looks washed out..." and then we'd move on Nothing aggressive at all.

thanks for the advice!

edit: i originally accompanied this comment with a downvote of yours. after further reflection i decided to lead by example.

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from Aquapin:

Here are 2 machines, within 2 digits of serial number, built on the same day. These images were taken yesterday with the same phone in the same spot with the same lighting. Clearly there is different qualities of print out there...hope you guys have a good distributor if you get the grainy one with vertical striations. [quoted image]

Unfortunately, I feel if Stern has sent this many out that look like this they are not replacing them. I very much hope I am wrong.

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from Aquapin:

Here are 2 machines, within 2 digits of serial number, built on the same day. These images were taken yesterday with the same phone in the same spot with the same lighting. Clearly there is different qualities of print out there...hope you guys have a good distributor if you get the grainy one with vertical striations. [quoted image]

Yikes!

#24 3 years ago

No way stern will replace all those playfields. But people should still complain.

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from Pmaino:

But people should still complain.

... buy not buying?

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

... buy not buying?

No. By buying and then complaining of course. We wouldn't want to put the biggest pusher of our pinball addiction out of business. Let's not get crazy here.

#27 3 years ago

The kick in the nuts is that they touted the ZY artwork as a feature!

I have one of the grainy ones and it's damn annoying. You can totally notice it if you're just staring at the art from normal distance. But I also don't have a lick of pooling. The ones where people have pooling seem to have the good quality printing. So, basically pick your poison...? I personally would rather have my PF with crappy art than the clear pooling, but obviously we shouldn't have to choose.

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

The kick in the nuts is that they touted the ZY artwork as a feature!
I have one of the grainy ones and it's damn annoying. You can totally notice it if you're just staring at the art from normal distance. But I also don't have a lick of pooling. The ones where people have pooling seem to have the good quality printing. So, basically pick your poison...? I personally would rather have my PF with crappy art than the clear pooling, but obviously we shouldn't have to choose.

My Pro dated August 6th has a good printed playfield (art under the star posts) with no pooling. It's probably just the minority posting issues, why would someone post if they don't have any issues with it? I suppose with this "cancel culture" of today, nothing is acceptable, no matter how small. Hopefully Stern takes care of you but it seems like a pretty small issue. I have noticed smaller dimples with the thinner clearcoating, my AFMr has craters compared to any of my Sterns.

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from PokerJake:

It's probably just the minority

As long as we're "probablying" here, I bet 50% are probably like this. Nice working cancel culture into your post. The entire playfield art is shit. That's not "small" at all.

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from PokerJake:

My Pro dated August 6th has a good printed playfield (art under the star posts) with no pooling. It's probably just the minority posting issues, why would someone post if they don't have any issues with it? I suppose with this "cancel culture" of today, nothing is acceptable, no matter how small. Hopefully Stern takes care of you but it seems like a pretty small issue. I have noticed smaller dimples with the thinner clearcoating, my AFMr has craters compared to any of my Sterns.

You seem to have won the playfield lottery, but this has nothing to do with "cancel culture". That's a buzzword that's applicable in many areas in current events, but this isn't one of them. People just want their ZY-featured $6K art to look correct and not bubble up. As I mentioned, I'd rather have the grainy art instead of pooling, which ended up being my case, but I still shouldn't have to pick the lesser of 2 evils.

#31 3 years ago
Quoted from Aquapin:

WOW the one on the right makes me feel like I'm at the eye doctors lol

Quoted from bigehrl:

Sorry nothing personal. I just felt that your analogy didn't fit

#32 3 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

As long as we're "probablying" here, I bet 50% are probably like this. Nice working cancel culture into your post. The entire playfield art is shit. That's not "small" at all.

Thanks, but it's all guessing. Considering there's been about 10 photos of grainy machines, it's probably not widespread.

Quoted from Yoko2una:

You seem to have won the playfield lottery, but this has nothing to do with "cancel culture". That's a buzzword that's applicable in many areas in current events, but this isn't one of them. People just want their ZY-featured $6K art to look correct and not bubble up. As I mentioned, I'd rather have the grainy art instead of pooling, which ended up being my case, but I still shouldn't have to pick the lesser of 2 evils.

Hopefully Stern takes care of you but it's not really noticeable from playable distances as seen in photos. Fortunately you don't have to pick and there's a 3rd option that's the majority. I'd say exchange them if possible or return it.

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from Aquapin:

one thing to note is that the playfields are all made and the stored then put into games when the cabinets are ready or there is space for them. The date of manufacture is added then. So the playfields could have been made days or event weeks apart.

#34 3 years ago

Doesn't Stern use 2 different companies to produce playfields? Is there a way to tell which company made it?

#35 3 years ago

The dimples will even it out don't worry.

#36 3 years ago

Here's mine (right side) and a friends (left side). Serial numbers only a few apart, same build/ship day. More grainy than lines. Unless I look closer and have my glasses on, its not really in your face noticeable (thank goodness).

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#37 3 years ago

But ...but ...but... I thought Stern was IMPROVING their quality while jacking up prices?

I remember hitting on this in the Stern blacklisted thread. Anyone who refuted my claim care to chime in?

#38 3 years ago

#inkjetgate

#39 3 years ago

Have we seen any close ups of the premiums yet?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 7,000.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Twisted Tokens

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Reflex Mods

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 290.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 22.00
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Terre Haute, IN
$ 7,999.00
$ 23.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 6,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Waxhaw, NC
$ 9.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 52.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 16.00
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
$ 7,299.00
Pinball Machine
Gameroom Goodies Arizona

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/turtles-playfield-question?hl=brettv and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.