Topic poll

“At what score does a Jet Spin "turn over"?”

• 100,000 2 votes
    25%
  • 200,000 6 votes
    75%

(8 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 8 years ago

I had some non-pinhead friends over to play not long ago and one of their favorites is my Jet Spin - a game with four moving score reels, a dummy zero and a 100,000 light (maximum display score: 199,990).

When one of my guests scored over 100,000 points he was rightfully excited and announced that he "turned it over." But I had to argue that "turning over" a game means exceeding the maximum display score. True, all the moving score reels went back to zeros, but he had just turned on the 100,000 score light and a "turn over" on this machine would really be 200,000 points.

Am I wrong about this?

#2 8 years ago

You are correct in my book (which isn't a good book).

edit: now that i think about it, your friend is right.

Hope this helps

#3 8 years ago

No doubt. The rollover when there's a 100,000 point lamp is 200,000

#4 8 years ago

Yes, to me to turn it over means to exceed it's scoring capacity. 200,000 points in my opinion

#5 8 years ago

haha, technically the pinball gods would agree with you, 199,990 is rollover. A lot of my 60's games have a light for "1000", their rollover is 1,999.

What I really like is my Neptune, reels for 99,990 and lights for 100K, 200K etc to 1M. Rollover there is 1,999,990.

Ken

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from TopMoose:

I had some non-pinhead friends over to play not long ago and one of their favorites is my Jet Spin - a game with four moving score reels, a dummy zero and a 100,000 light (maximum display score: 199,990).
When one of my guests scored over 100,000 points he was rightfully excited and announced that he "turned it over." But I had to argue that "turning over" a game means exceeding the maximum display score. True, all the moving score reels went back to zeros, but he had just turned on the 100,000 score light and a "turn over" on this machine would really be 200,000 points.
Am I wrong about this?

Yes. Let your friends have fun and enjoy their accomplishment. They aren't pinheads and don't really care about the particulars.

#7 8 years ago

Just be glad your friends enjoy pinball!

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yes. Let your friends have fun and enjoy their accomplishment. They aren't pinheads and don't really care about the particulars.

Quoted from Wickerman2:

Just be glad your friends enjoy pinball!

Totally - when their average game is about 50,000 to 70,000, a 100,000-point game is a big deal. He has every right to be proud and excited for that.

#9 8 years ago

But technically speaking...rolling over (score reels all ROLLED over). Hmmm I might need to let that soak for awhile.

rolled=turned?

#10 8 years ago

rolling ove the machine, to me, implies that the score displayed is not accurate since you have gone past what it can handle.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

haha, technically the pinball gods would agree with you, 199,990 is rollover. A lot of my 60's games have a light for "1000", their rollover is 1,999.
What I really like is my Neptune, reels for 99,990 and lights for 100K, 200K etc to 1M. Rollover there is 1,999,990.
Ken

the novelty mode is how my Neptune is set, it would of been cool if gottlieb put that mode on other machines
I can only think of a few late 70's AAB that have it

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

the novelty mode is how my Neptune is set, it would of been cool if gottlieb put that mode on other machines
I can only think of a few late 70's AAB that have it

Yea, nothing like those 5 knocks for hitting a rollover. We used it for tourney play one year at TPF and all across the floor you could hear the distinctive knock, knock, knock, knock, knock. Never leaving the collection!

#13 8 years ago

Rolling the game would be defined as exceeding the games ability to display the correct score.

Give your friend the benefit of rolling the game.
Looking at high scores for Jet Spin here on Pinside these are the top three, 189,160; 177,890; & 162,003. With the game on "5 Ball", and also set to "award an extra ball" with each ball in play, the possibility of 10 balls per game, and high scores are possible. Now that would require some time to learn the game to earn the extra balls the quickest way possible. These scores would certainly not reflect an average game.

#14 8 years ago

I tend to agree that "rolling" the score on an EM is going past it's ability to correctly score. In other words, after 199,990 there's no way to tell if it's a score of 199,990 or 899,990.

I do seem to remember that someone was working on a mod to allow for keeping "high scores" on EM games. If I recall correctly, that mod also allowed for much higher scoring. I haven't seen that thread in a while and don't know if that mod ever made it to production.

Dave

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Rolling the game would be defined as exceeding the games ability to display the correct score.
Give your friend the benefit of rolling the game.
Looking at high scores for Jet Spin here on Pinside these are the top three, 189,160; 177,890; & 162,003. With the game on "5 Ball", and also set to "award an extra ball" with each ball in play, the possibility of 10 balls per game, and high scores are possible. Now that would require some time to learn the game to earn the extra balls the quickest way possible. These scores would certainly not reflect an average game.

On add-a-ball setting you can get unlimited balls. The rule is one extra ball per ball in play, so you can earn an extra ball while playing on an extra ball and keep the chain going as long as possible. On five-ball games with add-a-ball setting, I've scored over 200,000 several times - a couple of times over 300,000 when I'm in the zone.

#16 8 years ago

Ken,

How do you get those novelty lights to work in "novelty" mode what pin do you move ? Lucky Hand Also has the 200,000-900,000 lights in the glass

BP

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from 1974DeltaQueen:

Ken,
How do you get those novelty lights to work in "novelty" mode what pin do you move ? Lucky Hand Also has the 200,000-900,000 lights in the glass
BP

This is Neptune but HH may have the same thing... Similar to the 3 ball 5 ball, there's a Jones plug for "novelty" mode. My Neptune is at a buddies so I cant shoot a pic. Maybe Boilerman can take a pic of his Neptune. But yea, once in NM, score more than 99,990 and the 100K light comes on. Usually have to be in Wow mode where you are getting 50K for a rollover. (Boilerman my best Neptune score was 1.7M 3 Ball )

#18 8 years ago

50,000 for a rollover that really is a WOW ! I've got a really nice example and love the game . I'm phasing out the 3" flipper games but Neptune will be in the lineup for years to come .

#19 8 years ago

Not a historian but I see one thing on the 100,000 light on AAB's . They didn't start them until 1973 and 3" flippers . ProPool and Jungle King have the light. Pop a Card , 1972 had 2" flippers and no 100K light.

Got another one too on that transition from webbing to spatter . An exception is Melody in 1967 has spatter. By the Mid 70's they're all spatter .

#20 8 years ago

On Hokus Pokus when you hit 100,000, a lite comes on that says "over the top" and a loud buzzer goes off. But I think it will do that each time you roll it from there as well.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/turning-over-an-em and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.