IMG_5360.jpeg
IMG_5749 (resized).jpeg
D583E050-4EC1-4A55-A5FE-23C3A562E50A (resized).jpeg
Screenshot 2023-11-16 at 3.12.15?PM (resized).png
Screenshot 2023-11-16 at 3.12.43?PM (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
b3623e555f631689d7bb4d80bac9a44e (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20231116_113600_Chrome (resized).jpg
There are 354 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 8.
#301 8 months ago
apocalypse-now-marlon-brando.gifapocalypse-now-marlon-brando.gif
#302 8 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Kind of like it.
[quoted image]

Agree. Kinda like having friends over without cleaning up their mess. Also want a new game for some reason.

#303 8 months ago
Quoted from Vespula:

My rush couldn't be more stable since day 1.

is your game on location?

#304 8 months ago
Quoted from Npbassman:

I turned off the message of the day in option 55 a few days ago and this morning....all of my machines show the clips in attract mode. Anyone else???

I had the opposite experience on my Aerosmith the other night. Std. #55 is still turned on on it, I played one big IC-logged-in game (865M), and the ad/video didn't show up in attract mode anymore the rest of the night.

Game hasn't been powered back on since so I don't know if that behavior will stick.

-----------------------------------------------

EDIT: Just powered it up, it's showing again...

#305 8 months ago

Does anyone have sound on their Stern ad? My AIQ plays it without sound. I don’t mind it that way, but not sure if there’s an adjustment for sound (besides disabling the ad altogether at #55).

#306 8 months ago
Quoted from CMG-3000:

Does anyone have sound on their Stern ad? My AIQ plays it without sound. I don’t mind it that way, but not sure if there’s an adjustment for sound (besides disabling the ad altogether at #55).

It does not have sound.

#307 8 months ago
Quoted from CMG-3000:

Does anyone have sound on their Stern ad?

Quoted from TheLaw:

It does not have sound.

Stern cheaped out and MUTED OUR ADS!!

#308 8 months ago
Quoted from Vino:

Stern cheaped out and MUTED OUR ADS!!

It was an oversight, trust... They will soon be like "You can play this LE game today, or wait a year for yet another LE, that is better and possibly cheaper! With full audio.

#309 8 months ago
Quoted from Roostking:

It was an oversight, trust... They will soon be like "You can play this LE game today, or wait a year for yet another LE, that is better and possibly cheaper! With full audio.

Audio is probably just another achievement badge I need to unlock now.

#310 8 months ago
Quoted from Vino:

Audio is probably just another achievement badge I need to unlock.

And then you have to achieve "Dolby sound blah blah," for another $5.99

#311 8 months ago

So I initially came out in favor of this new delivery mechanism by Stern. But since this ad had begun playing on my 8 Spike 2 games I've noticed it burns a bit when I'm tinkling now and it wasn't before the machines had this ad. Have I allowed Stern to infect my household with some kind of a virus or STD? Just what are these guys up to??

You #Never55er's might have been right all along...

#312 8 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

3 years ago Iron Maiden displayed tour dates.
So, three years ago.
The world ended three years ago and pinball was destroyed.
I miss pinball. Thanks a lot stern! The slope was slippery and you pushed us down it and now we have slidden down the slope!
DAMN YOU !

I actually thought that was cool as hell when I had my Maiden. I didn't keep it long enough to find out if they did updates to the tour dates via the insider connect.

#313 8 months ago
Quoted from viper001:

So I initially came out in favor of this new delivery mechanism by Stern. But since this ad had begun playing on my 8 Spike 2 games I've noticed it burns a bit when I'm tinkling now and it wasn't before the machines had this ad. Have I allowed Stern to infect my household with some kind of a virus or STD? Just what are these guys up to??

Yea, could see this coming a mile away unfortunately.

#314 8 months ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

is your game on location?

No but my first, and only other point of reference pin is GNR. So that's where I'm coming from...

#316 8 months ago
Quoted from viper001:

Not to worry. An ad for an appropriate medication will be released shortly. In the meantime keep your pecker away from the coin slot.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#317 8 months ago

In my opinion, there's zero chance they spent time and energy developing this feature only to display one of their own marketing videos that can be turned off. They just used this video to get the technology in place. They will be selling ads to third parties and those ads won't be considered "message of the day" so they won't be disabled by the setting. There's a reason they used that specific language for the setting. And from a business point of view, it makes perfect sense and, unfortunately for us, it's something they actually should be doing given they have these full color "billboards" available at lots of very prime locations. These ad sales will essentially be free money to them from this point forward and it's not like shoehorning ads on to every possible screen isn't already an extremely common practice in the world.

Now perhaps if there's a huge uproar from the home use folks once these ads start popping up, it's possible they put in some hoops to jump through that may allow home users to disable them. For example, if you use the Home Team feature (which they do refer to as being for "non-commercial machine owners"), then perhaps you can choose to disable the ads. But in my opinion, I doubt they will feel anywhere near enough pressure to allow the ads to be disabled even in those scenarios. Any ability to disable the ads would lower their selling price to the ad buyers.

Also, I think I saw this mentioned, but I doubt they have any plans on sharing any of this ad revenue with operators. I haven't seen anything yet with this initial rollout that suggests they're baking in the ability to target different ads to different locations. I'm guessing they're going to start with pretty simple ads at the national level and pocket the cash. However, if they move down a path similar to TouchTunes and integrate with a third party ad provider, then they can start tapping into a bigger, more targeted ad marketplace (https://www.kevel.com/customers/touchtunes).

I'm not saying I personally like any of this any more than anybody else, but I feel pretty confident this is where they're headed. I've seen some folks shrugging this off or mocking the idea, but make no mistake, advertising like this is HUGE business. Guess we'll see!

#318 8 months ago

Stern is a tiny company that csnt afford one person answering the phone. Setting up a nation wide, yet local, advertisement barrage seems far fetched. But we shall see.

#319 8 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Stern is a tiny company that csnt afford one person answering the phone. Setting up a nation wide, yet local, advertisement barrage seems far fetched. But we shall see.

As goldfinger007 pointed out, Stern will just integrate with a big ad network. Then all the work besides collecting checks becomes engineering tasks. I think people are grossly overestimating how hard it is to sell digital ads. The ad networks have it down to click to create an account, enter how you want to get paid, pull their SDK into your code. So, if you're an MBA type at Stern, you're seeing a one time couple of weeks of engineering work for probably ~25k-50k ARR in ad revenue. No brainer that it's going to happen, just a matter of when.

#320 8 months ago

BIG MONEY will be flowing in to Stern's pinball machine ads now. Coke. Pepsi. Apple. IBM. They will all flock to Stern for this important exposure opportunity. Everybody who is leaving X will come right to your pinball machine to pick up the slack.

Get ready for it folks. Disney boy done figured out the formula !!!

#321 8 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

BIG MONEY will be flowing in to Stern's pinball machine ads now. Coke. Pepsi. Apple. IBM. They will all flock to Stern for this important exposure opportunity. Everybody who is leaving X will come right to your pinball machine to pick up the slack.

All part of their master plan to set up an IPO!!!

#322 8 months ago

Theyll have to make new code that kicks up the volume of the ads to deafening levels because route machines are always too quite. Sounds pretty kooky.

#323 8 months ago

The ads don't even need audio. Billboards don't have audio. Just a 'drink pepsi' with the logo and maybe someone taking a swig from a bottle would do it. I do think this is where this is heading. The idea that Stern invested so heavily in IC solely for the good of the hobby and competitive play, and also packaged it in with every machine sold, sounds far less likely to me.

#324 8 months ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

The ads don't even need audio....

Then cool, no problem for me.
They are commercial machines after all. And the themes everyone loves so much themselves are just brands & companies.

I'm not much of a machine starer to begin with. The ads on gas pumps don't bother me with the video because I just don't watch. It's that annoying ass audio

#325 8 months ago

What's the going rate for an ad with a reach well into the thousands?

#326 8 months ago

as an op, if the ads are forced when wi-fi is turned on, i'll just turn it off. in an informal poll on a FB group i help moderate, there weren't many players who said that IC was an important or integral part of the experience; significantly more were indifferent or have zero interest in using it.

#327 8 months ago
Quoted from mc300baud:

as an op, if the ads are forced when wi-fi is turned on, i'll just turn it off. in an informal poll on a FB group i help moderate, there weren't many players who said that IC was an important or integral part of the experience; significantly more were indifferent or have zero interest in using it.

The ads will come disguised as a code update

#328 8 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Doesnt matter, big or small. Its unwanted on a machine I paid for. How is it so hard for people to understand that? Shall I place some bumperstickers on your car advertising my business? Disneyboy doesnt have the market cornered!They can be pulled off 2 minutesish.

#329 8 months ago
Quoted from Nevus:

[quoted image]

"You'll get our ads and THANK US for the honor!"

#330 8 months ago
Quoted from Zambonilli:As goldfinger007 pointed out, Stern will just integrate with a big ad network. Then all the work besides collecting checks becomes engineering tasks. I think people are grossly overestimating how hard it is to sell digital ads. The ad networks have it down to click to create an account, enter how you want to get paid, pull their SDK into your code. So, if you're an MBA type at Stern, you're seeing a one time couple of weeks of engineering work for probably ~25k-50k ARR in ad revenue. No brainer that it's going to happen, just a matter of when.

Really? All this tor $50,000 a year? It makes more sense for them to sell their own product if all they're shooting for is 50k a year.

926e5009-c10a-48fe-b90e-fa0760f82fcd (resized).png926e5009-c10a-48fe-b90e-fa0760f82fcd (resized).png

#331 8 months ago

I'll be honest... I kinda like the commercials that pop up on the pins now. I can't be the only one that does work with them on in the background and/or enjoys glancing over to the next pin and seeing other new pins popping up on the screen. Yeah... I could see operators being ticked, but in the home environment I like them. If they were turned off by default I'd turn them on.

#332 8 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Thinking through it... I can think of at least 2 pinball machines that have paid ads on them from outside the pinball industry. Roller Games and Slugfest. Slugfest had freaking Subway ads in it.

Rollergames had Pepsi and others:

But to flip the script the Roller Games TV show had pinball ads!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#333 8 months ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Doesnt matter, big or small. Its unwanted on a machine I paid for. How is it so hard for people to understand that? Shall I place some bumperstickers on your car advertising my business? Disneyboy doesnt have the market cornered!They can be pulled off 2 minutesish.

I own a bunch of DVDs that has ads in them.

I just hit the skip button.

#334 8 months ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I'll be honest... I kinda like the commercials that pop up on the pins now. I can't be the only one that does work with them on in the background and/or enjoys glancing over to the next pin and seeing other new pins popping up on the screen. Yeah... I could see operators being ticked, but in the home environment I like them. If they were turned off by default I'd turn them on.

I’m right there with you.

Tonight, I’ll be working on my godfather machine. I’ll have all the machines running for the background effect.

#335 8 months ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:Thinking through it... I can think of at least 2 pinball machines that have paid ads on them from outside the pinball industry. Roller Games and Slugfest. Slugfest had freaking Subway ads in it.
Rollergames had Pepsi and others:
But to flip the script the Roller Games TV show had pinball ads![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

And this was clearly a huge success because outside of these two games it never happened again.

#336 8 months ago

If Stern starts pushing ads via internet, ops and home owners will just shut off the wifi, and Stern risks wasting all their investment in Insider.

If they include ads built into the code, people will replace them with custom video via pinballbrowser (or download someone else's modded code).

Stern could up their encryption game to protect the ads, but Oga83 has beaten them every time so far.

Does Stern want to be a pinball company or advertising company? I think they recognize the limits of their platform...

#337 8 months ago

Lots of great opinions here, and many that I agree with too. But going down this road of integrating ads is absolutely what they're doing. As Zambonilli pointed out, this is a very mature multi-billion dollar market with basically plug and play capability to anybody that has a connected public display medium. And I think he greatly underestimated the potential revenue to Stern.

Yes, folks can disconnect the internet, or refuse to update the ROM, or put a piece of black construction paper over the display screen, but that won't change their approach. And wait until they find out how cheap it is to throw a 3G chip in there and the ROI they can get from that to overcome those operators who don't connect or update. "Want to keep your game code frozen at v0.85? No problem! You're still getting fresh ads!" Hell, I got a CPAP machine a few weeks ago and it has a 3G chip in it just to send updates to the insurance company. "No wifi required!" the lady said with a smile on her face when I picked up the machine.

c10cd0e202813325461097a46dfb2d26.245x176x20.gifc10cd0e202813325461097a46dfb2d26.245x176x20.gif
#338 8 months ago
Quoted from goldfinger007:

Lots of great opinions here, and many that I agree with too. But going down this road of integrating ads is absolutely what they're doing. As Zambonilli pointed out, this is a very mature multi-billion dollar market with basically plug and play capability to anybody that has a connected public display medium. And I think he greatly underestimated the potential revenue to Stern.
Yes, folks can disconnect the internet, or refuse to update the ROM, or put a piece of black construction paper over the display screen, but that won't change their approach. And wait until they find out how cheap it is to throw a 3G chip in there and the ROI they can get from that to overcome those operators who don't connect or update. "Want to keep your game code frozen at v0.85? No problem! You're still getting fresh ads!" Hell, I got a CPAP machine a few weeks ago and it has a 3G chip in it just to send updates to the insurance company. "No wifi required!" the lady said with a smile on her face when I picked up the machine.[quoted image]

This all day long. This thread is going to be interesting to look back upon in 6 months, 2 years?
Its funny what people don't know about how far technology has come and how easy it is to subvert basic controls from the position of the seller

#339 8 months ago
Quoted from Zambonilli:

As goldfinger007 pointed out, Stern will just integrate with a big ad network. Then all the work besides collecting checks becomes engineering tasks. I think people are grossly overestimating how hard it is to sell digital ads. The ad networks have it down to click to create an account, enter how you want to get paid, pull their SDK into your code. So, if you're an MBA type at Stern, you're seeing a one time couple of weeks of engineering work for probably ~25k-50k ARR in ad revenue. No brainer that it's going to happen, just a matter of when.

hahaha no - this is 100% not going to happen. Stern often makes some bizarre decisions but this won't be one of them.

Neil.

#340 8 months ago
Quoted from goldfinger007:

Yes, folks can disconnect the internet, or refuse to update the ROM, or put a piece of black construction paper over the display screen, but that won't change their approach. And wait until they find out how cheap it is to throw a 3G chip in there and the ROI they can get from that to overcome those operators who don't connect or update. "Want to keep your game code frozen at v0.85? No problem! You're still getting fresh ads!" Hell, I got a CPAP machine a few weeks ago and it has a 3G chip in it just to send updates to the insurance company. "No wifi required!" the lady said with a smile on her face when I picked up the machine.[quoted image]

100% no chance Stern will bother to do this. This is delusional thinking. I'm going to assume you mean cellular "chip" given the world has either turned off or is turning off 3G.

Neil.

#341 8 months ago

I find the leaf blower loud fans much more annoying than this ad.

Luckily there are solutions for both. And this one is just a software setting.

#342 8 months ago
Quoted from altan:

I find the leaf blower loud fans much more annoying than this ad.
Luckily there are solutions for both. And this one is just a software setting.

Leaf blowers and truck backup alarms are the most annoying sounds to me. Worse than a crying baby.

#343 8 months ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Leaf blowers and truck backup alarms are the most annoying sounds to me. Worse than a crying baby.

Stern fake replay knockers are way up there too.

#344 8 months ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

100% no chance Stern will bother to do this. This is delusional thinking. I'm going to assume you mean cellular "chip" given the world has either turned off or is turning off 3G.
Neil.

I don't *think* I'm delusional. At least the voices in my head don't seem to think so... But you're right, I shouldn't have said 3G. I just used that as a shortcut to mean any sort of cheap cellular IOT chip. I also don't necessarily think that part is a given, just pointing out that it has become common in lots of electronics.

But regarding ads in general, my prediction is still that within less than 24 months, Stern will be inserting third party ads in attract mode that the user can't easily turn off with a menu setting. Or maybe a banner ad across the top while the attract screens cycle below it. And honestly, why shouldn't they? It'll be a nice new revenue stream for them and ads are already everywhere anyway, so most people just aren't going to care. But I'll be happy to be wrong.

#345 7 months ago

Where/when are the ads ? I got the new code and I haven’t seen ads yet

#346 7 months ago
Quoted from MichaelMullen:

They're in attract mode every once in a wHile.

#347 7 months ago

The whole machine is already a big giant ad for the game. The ad just happens to look good. I’m sure there are exceptions.

#348 7 months ago

My take is this just cheapens the Stern Brand and the beauty of the machines for home collectors. As mentioned previously, would you ever see Lexus playing advertisements for their cars on the entertainment center? No, you would not because customers would voice their dissatisfaction and it would not be effective.

Thankfully you can currently turn them off with a few button presses. Hopefully it stays this way or Stern abandons the idea completely.

#349 7 months ago
Quoted from Gotfrogs:

My take is this just cheapens the Stern Brand and the beauty of the machines for home collectors. As mentioned previously, would you ever see Lexus playing advertisements for their cars on the entertainment center? No, you would not because customers would voice their dissatisfaction and it would not be effective.
Thankfully you can currently turn them off with a few button presses. Hopefully it stays this way or Stern abandons the idea completely.

You had to bring up cars.

Cars have ads all over them bruh.

#350 7 months ago
Quoted from MichaelMullen:

Quoted from TheLaw:

They're in attract mode every once in a wHile.

On my Aerosmith (Pro) the "Bring Home the Fun" ad is in every pass of the LCD attract mode loop. Odd thing is after one or more games it stops showing for about 30 minutes give or take (it's different every time), then starts coming up again.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 34.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Discos Pinball Mod Shop

€ 168.00
Lighting - Backbox
Watssapen shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Lenticular Designs

$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 53.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

€ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 26.50
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 25.00
Playfield - Other
NinjaCamp Mods

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 320.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

There are 354 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.