Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

F122D89E-74F7-4CB1-99E5-42B2095D51DF (resized).jpeg
55CD85E2-B522-4588-902C-1AE6220DB284 (resized).jpeg
Balaclava_3_hole_black (resized).jpg
Unknown (resized).jpg
3587856000000578-0-image-a-7_1466548290768 (resized).jpg
There are 103 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 6 years ago

I feel that this machine taking my picture without my permission for use on a high score display is an invasion of my privacy. The selfie switch mode also skeeves me out. Yeah, I have some things I'm weird about and people and things taking my picture without permission is one of them.

I know I'm in the super-small-probably-just-me minority here but is there a flipper code or way for me to opt out of the feature?

#2 6 years ago

what on earth are you afraid of? it's a pinball machine that's not even connected to the internet.

#3 6 years ago

I’m not sure about this but I bet there is not a code or option to shut it down. Heck if your in public your on camera everywhere. Stoplights, Security cameras, traffic cams, etc

#4 6 years ago

Sounds like if you can get a photo of your junk taken for the high scores the operator will turn the feature off.

#5 6 years ago

Here's a radical thought.... If it bothers you that much, play something else. Welcome to the 21st century. Cameras are everywhere.

#6 6 years ago

Just stick some gum in the lens before you play.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from DMC:

Just stick some gum in the lens before you play.

If you're playing on route, please be respectful to the operator's machines. At home, do what you want with them. Thank you.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Sounds like if you can get a photo of your junk taken for the high scores the operator will turn the feature off.

That would be a funny stand alone thread. “Crazy Selfies found on DI”

#9 6 years ago

I’m not sure where the camera is located (somewhere on the back glass?) but maybe just bring a post it note to cover it while you play?

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from Law:

I feel that this machine taking my picture without my permission for use on a high score display is an invasion of my privacy.

I thought they specifically engineered weed to not cause paranoia these days?

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from Law:

I feel that this machine taking my picture without my permission for use on a high score display is an invasion of my privacy. The selfie switch mode also skeeves me out. Yeah, I have some things I'm weird about and people and things taking my picture without permission is one of them.
I know I'm in the super-small-probably-just-me minority here but is there a flipper code or way for me to opt out of the feature?

How is this different from entering any store with video surveillance? They have you on camera without your permission. Some even have video monitors at the entrance so you can SEE that you are being recorded, do you then do a 180 and leave?

You know Dialed In has a camera, yet you still choose to play it and be "skeeved" out by it. Why bother playing it then?

Bottom line, don't expect privacy when you're in public.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

How is this different from entering any store with video surveillance?

Surveillance video recordings aren't typically displayed in/to the public.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

How is this different from entering any store with video surveillance? They have you on camera without your permission. Some even have video monitors at the entrance so you can SEE that you are being recorded, do you then do a 180 and leave?
You know Dialed In has a camera, yet you still choose to play it and be "skeeved" out by it. Why bother playing it then?
Bottom line, don't expect privacy when you're in public.

Its different because dialed in posts your (sometimes not so flattering) photo for all to see. With surveillance, yeah you're being recorded, but it's not being broadcasted.

Edit: yeah what Force said

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

what on earth are you afraid of? it's a pinball machine that's not even connected to the internet.

You're missing the point. Some people just feel weird about having a selfie posted of them in a public place. It doesn't bother me personally, but I get it.

#15 6 years ago

Just flip it off as in give it the finger, I do it all the time when I'm in a store and they have the monitors that show you are on camera. My wife doesn't get to excited to see me do it, but what the heck I'm there shopping, I'm not in there to take anything, and since the annoy me I just give them the finger, I do the same thing with the toll cameras, shot them the bird.

I could care less that they get my picture, I just figure may as well make it entertaining.

#16 6 years ago

Maybe the OP has already appeared here:

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/

and would like to avoid this happening in the future?

#17 6 years ago

I think when you put your money in it you gave it permission. No one made you play it. You chose to, and the game takes your picture so therefore you have it permission

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from Law:

its called the new norm, get used to it.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Surveillance video recordings aren't typically displayed in/to the public.

I guess we might as well bring up the millions of webcams everywhere which are accessible to the public. If your in public chances are your on camera and most people could view it if desired.

Plus if you have a smart device or computer get some stickers to cover up the cameras so people can’t tap into that. I’m not sure if hackers are that good? Maybe maybe not who knows. Cameras are everywhere nowadays.

#20 6 years ago

I play competitively pretty often, when this game gets picked I can't exactly opt out without forfeiting.

I didn't expect so many downthumbs for a basic question. I know I'm in the minority and said as much in the initial post, I'm sure there are people that don't want to end up on the jumbotron at sportsball games either.

I don't expect most people to be bothered by the camera on the game, but for me it's a thing and the people I play with regularly in league and events are aware of my weirdness about this and don't do things like post pictures of me playing to their social media feeds. I hope people can empathize even if they don't feel the same way.

I would just like a way to disable this without resorting to a sticky note and was hoping there was a way. Can it be turned off in the operator settings? I'll just kill the thread if there's really no answer, didn't mean to start a thing.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from Law:

It's a feature of the game. Just don't play it if it bothers you that much. All of the people expecting the world to cater to there every little desire is a large portion of what is wrong with this country.

And like was already mentioned, you putting money in it pretty much consents as you know it has a mode that takes your picture. Plus you can just lean a little to the side and it won't even get a picture of you.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from Law:

No, but you can just cover up the camera by putting something in front of it (beer coaster, post-it, condom, etc) while you play. It's at the bottom center of the backglass.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I think the software uses hotdog/no hotdog to prevent those from even being accepted.

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from Law:

I play competitively pretty often, when this game gets picked I can't exactly opt out without forfeiting.
I didn't expect so many downthumbs for a basic question. I know I'm in the minority and said as much in the initial post, I'm sure there are people that don't want to end up on the jumbotron at sportsball games either.
I don't expect most people to be bothered by the camera on the game, but for me it's a thing and the people I play with regularly in league and events are aware of my weirdness about this and don't do things like post pictures of me playing to their social media feeds. I hope people can empathize even if they don't feel the same way.
I would just like a way to disable this without resorting to a sticky note and was hoping there was a way. Can it be turned off in the operator settings? I'll just kill the thread if there's really no answer, didn't mean to start a thing.

Do the camera's used in many tourny's not bother you? Some literally have cameras everywhere displaying everything on large TV's for all to see.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from Law:

I would just like a way to disable this without resorting to a sticky note and was hoping there was a way. Can it be turned off in the operator settings?

It can be turned off on the operator settings, but if this is on location, I doubt they'll kill everyone's fun to accommodate you.

#26 6 years ago

How about bringing a roll of masking tape with you and taping over the camera whenever it's your turn. It would only take about five seconds to apply, and it would peel right off.

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Do the camera's used in many tourny's not bother you? Some literally have cameras everywhere displaying everything on large TV's for all to see.

Of course they bother me. I deal. I'll deal here too like I usually do.

I have had intense social anxiety in the past to the point where I couldn't sit anywhere in public (theaters, halls, buses) unless I was in a corner with my back to a wall because I felt like people were looking at me. It's not at that level anymore but I still don't like my picture taken, it is a really uncomfortable thing for me.

If you are so fundamentally opposed to people not wanting their picture taken that you can't fathom that someone would want this small amount of control, just drain the thread. Nothing useful is coming out of this anyways.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It's at the bottom center of the backglass.

Appreciate it, thanks. That's actually helpful.

#29 6 years ago

I heard JJP is a CIA front. They are storing your face in a giant super computer only to show everyone on your favorite pinball forum how stupid you look playing pinball!

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from Law:

If you are so fundamentally opposed to people not wanting their picture taken that you can't fathom that someone would want this small amount of control, just drain the thread. Nothing useful is coming out of this anyways.

Nothing?! You found out where the camera is...

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from Law:

Of course they bother me. I deal. I'll deal here too like I usually do.
I have had intense social anxiety in the past to the point where I couldn't sit anywhere in public (theaters, halls, buses) unless I was in a corner with my back to a wall because I felt like people were looking at me. It's not at that level anymore but I still don't like my picture taken, it is a really uncomfortable thing for me.

Sorry you have that anxiety. It was a real question to help me understand your situation. I don't think you will have much luck with people catering to your issue but I think the suggestions on how to cover up the camera are a perfect solution.

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

It's a feature of the game. Just don't play it if it bothers you that much. All of the people expecting the world to cater to there every little desire is a large portion of what is wrong with this country.

What's wrong with the country is lack of empathy. He didn't ask to be catered to, he asked if there was a feature to avoid having his picture posted in public. Apparently the answer is no, maybe JJP could consider it, because it's a freaking game, for fun, not a passport security station, and if your customers are bothered by it maybe let them opt out. All you people going IT'S HOW THE GAME WORKS, no it's not, it's a gimmick. When it broke at Expo the selfie was replaced by a logo, and nothing of value was lost, nothing was changed in the game, big deal.

I don't want my selfie on the backglass either, I don't blame him at all, I find that feature annoying.

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from Law:

an invasion of my privacy.

Everytime I post on pinside, I feel I'm invading my own privacy.

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

What's wrong with the country is lack of empathy. He didn't ask to be catered to, he asked if there was a feature to avoid having his picture posted in public. Apparently the answer is no, maybe JJP could consider it, because it's a freaking game, for fun, not a passport security station, and if your customers are bothered by it maybe let them opt out. All you people going IT'S HOW THE GAME WORKS, no it's not, it's a gimmick. When it broke at Expo the selfie was replaced by a logo, and nothing of value was lost, nothing was changed in the game, big deal.
I don't want my selfie on the backglass either, I don't blame him at all, I find that feature annoying.

Lack of empathy, maybe. I see more and more people, not necessarily Law, who think the world needs to cater to their individual needs. Don’t want your photo taken by a pinball machine? Play every other pinball machine ever made!

#35 6 years ago

I would just wear a bee keepers hat while playing.

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Expecting an operator to change settings specifically for your special needs is not realistic. In fact I would say it is unreasonable to expect everyone to cater to you. It's a me, me, me thing which is so freaking common in this world it's pathetic (not pointing a finger at you LAW as I don't think that is what you were trying to do). Empathy is certainly not needed in something this simple and a very good solution was found that will allow LAW to continue to play the game in tournys and not have to miss out of participating because it bothers him. It sucks that he feels anxiety in group settings but it's something he has to be able to work around. Fortunately in this case it looks like he easily can. It also seems like he plays with a good group of people that try to respect his wishes as much as possible.

I'm allergic to peanuts and numerous other things, it's my problem to deal with, not others and I'm not going to walk into a restaurant or someone's house and make a big deal out of it. If it's not safe for me to eat I just politely decline it. It's not their problem, it's mine.

#37 6 years ago

Geez really tough crowd.

Stick a small piece of painters or masking tape over the camera. Located at bottom center of backglass - very easy to find.

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

What's wrong with the country is lack of empathy. ...

The real problem with this country is people confusing "selfies" with "pictures." I see it all the time and it's sad.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Geez really tough crowd.
Stick a small piece of painters or masking tape over the camera.

Better not start swinging that tilt bob...gonna get Dq'd quick, eXpecially on that game

As for the OP you can also wear a shirt with a face on it, which consistently tricks the camera.

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Stick a small piece of painters or masking tape over the camera. Located at bottom center of backglass - very easy to find.

I sure wish I had thought of that.

Quoted from gweempose:

How about bringing a roll of masking tape with you and taping over the camera whenever it's your turn. It would only take about five seconds to apply, and it would peel right off.

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Expecting an operator to change settings specifically for your special needs is not realistic.

Dude, he just asked if he could control the feature, not that he expects it to be changed.

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

Dude, he just asked if he could control the feature, not that he expects it to be changed.

Plus, it wouldn't be that difficult to have the programmers put in something like 'Hold left flipper button while starting a game to disable the camera..' type feature.

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

After reading my initial response it does sound a little harsh. My initial post was based the start of the thread which sounded like it was just a DI on location. He clarified as I posted that his main issue is for tourny play and I see his issue now and people were able to help with a solution.

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from jmountjoy111:

I think when you put your money in it you gave it permission. No one made you play it. You chose to, and the game takes your picture so therefore you have it permission

Haven't seen the machine up close yet, but is there a warning anywhere on the machine that it does take and store your picture as a condition of use?

A photobooth user has an implied expectation that the primary function is to have their photo taken, but a pinball machine?

Quoted from Pinballlew:

I guess we might as well bring up the millions of webcams everywhere which are accessible to the public. If your in public chances are your on camera and most people could view it if desired.
Plus if you have a smart device or computer get some stickers to cover up the cameras so people can’t tap into that. I’m not sure if hackers are that good? Maybe maybe not who knows. Cameras are everywhere nowadays.

Mark Zuckerberg puts tape over his own Mac camera. The man who wants us to share everything but doesn't want to share himself.

3587856000000578-0-image-a-7_1466548290768 (resized).jpg3587856000000578-0-image-a-7_1466548290768 (resized).jpg

#44 6 years ago

When I get my picture taken, I want it to be something I can be proud of.

Unknown (resized).jpgUnknown (resized).jpg

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from Law:

is there a flipper code or way for me to opt out of the feature?

Don't play the game.

Often wearing a baseball cap is enough, it doesn't see a face, it puts up a logo.

LTG : )

#46 6 years ago

the Dialed In unboxing video 21 minutes in has a package of items, one being a sticker to cover up the camera:

I think a software update would be nice to have as a method to skip the selfie mode as the OP suggested

I kind of think the whole point of the games theme is the creepy stuff the new technology of this day is able to do. ...well I dunno about making volcanoes erupt and all ... but you know what I mean

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from chas10e:

the creepy stuff the new technology of this day is able to do. ...well I dunno about making volcanoes erupt and all

#48 6 years ago

The camera and selfie mode is just one of the many things I hate about this game. Someone should make a mod for the game that turns the camera and points it at a picture of a middle finger instead of pointing at the player.

Worst...theme...ever.

#49 6 years ago

The camera can be disabled in the settings. I noticed while going through the menu in league yesterday.

#50 6 years ago

I find that even turning my head slightly to the left or right makes it miss seeing my face. The code isn't terribly sophisticated, nor should it be, since it's just for fun.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Electronics
Skillshot Combo

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

5,640 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Sacramento, CA
9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Chicago, IL
Flipper Parts
FlipMods

$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 103 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/turning-off-camera-on-dialed-in-on-location?hl=cocomonkeh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.