pasted_image (resized).png
gify.gif
Chaw-chee-chaw.gif
20231024_172209 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 845 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 17.
#201 1 year ago

"he wanted to invite people interested in following along the journey to do so."

I think the problem is he is too early and not far enough along with the game for how much experience and time he has. Hes been full-time for 6 months with paid employees now. Him+another hired person at Turner both had several years working at Deeproot. In this case he would have been better off waiting. Speculation will continue on for months and people will waste their own time. Another $8k+ game is a very steep hill to achieve to financial success and if the event happens that it doesn't work out, I hope nobody continues buying assets. Time will tell.

#202 1 year ago
Quoted from dpadam450:

"he wanted to invite people interested in following along the journey to do so."
I think the problem is he is too early and not far enough along with the game for how much experience and time he has. Hes been full-time for 6 months with paid employees now. Him+another hired person at Turner both had several years working at Deeproot. In this case he would have been better off waiting. Speculation will continue on for months and people will waste their own time. Another $8k+ game is a very steep hill to achieve to financial success and if the event happens that it doesn't work out, I hope nobody continues buying assets. Time will tell.

Why do you think he's been full time? I doubt it.

#203 1 year ago

Also probably not paid as well...

#204 1 year ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Also probably not paid as well...

He's doing the paying.

#205 1 year ago
Quoted from JStoltz:

But also, he basically chose to open a restaurant in Chernobyl here.

It was a nice, quiet place until a year ago!

#206 1 year ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

He's doing the paying.

Apologies... I meant by Deeproot...
I'm cheering for him ...

#207 1 year ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

I just see no reason to act like dicks to him.

100% - probably a good rule for any forum interaction

#208 1 year ago

"Why do you think he's been full time? I doubt it. "

Was my understanding from what he said in one of the videos.

This dude says he worked at deeproot and is working at Turner for 8months.
https://www.linkedin.com/in/quinn-johnson-mrwonderful/

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#209 1 year ago
Quoted from dpadam450:

"Why do you think he's been full time? I doubt it. "
Was my understanding from what he said in one of the videos.
This dude says he worked at deeproot and is working at Turner for 8months.
https://www.linkedin.com/in/quinn-johnson-mrwonderful/
[quoted image]

Got it. Thought you were talking Turner. Nice find.

That said, I also doubt Johnson has been full time.

Incidentally, every comment I've heard about Quinn present him as universally beloved.

#210 1 year ago

Oh well, I think hyping up anyone you don't personally know can bite you later on. Let it play out. We have no idea his intentions, pricing, actual ability to pull off. It looks like that guy does freelance for several places but he at least stated a work date of 8 months ago.

#211 1 year ago

I'm sure they're all nice guys

This isn't a real company though. Sorry

They won't be able to manufacture. Maybe they could design a game design to sell, but most of the pinball manufacturing companies already have large in house development teams (some too many) and I just don't think these guys have a clue when it comes to what makes a game production ready

Just make a homebrew and show it off. It's fun. Doesn't have to be a poorly thought out business plan.

#212 1 year ago

Was sure the game would be based on the books Ready Player One and Ready Player Two.

That's where the puzzle and release stuff comes from if anyone here has read them.

If not, you may enjoy them.

#213 1 year ago

Hopefully the galvanized steel ramps are just for testing. Galvanized sheet metal is a bad idea in Pinball...the galvanizing will flake off and be carried by the ball and ground in all over the playfield. Then the base steel will rust.

#214 1 year ago
Quoted from punkin:

Was sure the game would be based on the books Ready Player One and Ready Player Two.
That's where the puzzle and release stuff comes from if anyone here has read them.
If not, you may enjoy them.

1st book was great, movie was ehhh .... 2nd book was not great

#215 1 year ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I've never seen the movie, but i enjoyed the second book too.

If you didn't know about the book (or movie i guess) you wouldn't know what the original website puzzle thing was based on.

#216 1 year ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I'd go ehhh+ but otherwise agree

#217 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I'm sure they're all nice guys
This isn't a real company though. Sorry
They won't be able to manufacture. Maybe they could design a game design to sell, but most of the pinball manufacturing companies already have large in house development teams (some too many) and I just don't think these guys have a clue when it comes to what makes a game production ready
Just make a homebrew and show it off. It's fun. Doesn't have to be a poorly thought out business plan.

Patently untrue.

https://haggispinball.com/

#218 1 year ago

What does Haggis have to do with anything?

#219 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:What does Haggis have to do with anything?

I guess if you read my statement in conjunction with your statement (which I quoted when making it) you'd see the connection.

#220 1 year ago
Quoted from punkin:

I guess if you read my statement in conjunction with your statement (which I quoted when making it) you'd see the connection.

What is the connection? Did Haggis start from the bloated corpse of a criminal enterprise that collapsed through a combination of hubris and being bad at both manufacturing and crime?

If it's just that they were able to slowly fart out some games, so what. I can point to dozens of "companies" that went no where. Haggis is uniquely situated across the world in a market starved for pinball (how much cheaper is a Haggis game compared to a Stern?). And frankly...it's amazing they haven't folded.

#221 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

What is the connection? Did Haggis start from the bloated corpse of a criminal enterprise that collapsed through a combination of hubris and being bad at both manufacturing and crime?
If it's just that they were able to slowly fart out some games, so what. I can point to dozens of "companies" that went no where. Haggis is uniquely situated across the world in a market starved for pinball (how much cheaper is a Haggis game compared to a Stern?). And frankly...it's amazing they haven't folded.

None of that bile was in the post i quoted.

#222 1 year ago
Quoted from punkin:

None of that bile was in the post i quoted.

Then what possible connection is there? Why did you bring up Haggis?

#223 1 year ago

Your original post. Why do you ask me to repeat my statements? Can't you just reread?

I've read the same stuff posted about every new startup company, comparing the same old examples. Including Haggis.

Well, sometimes people have a go and make really good products and bring them to the market.

That is all

#224 1 year ago
Quoted from punkin:

Your original post. Why do you ask me to repeat my statements? Can't you just reread?
I've read the same stuff posted about every new startup company, comparing the same old examples. Including Haggis.
Well, sometimes people have a go and make really good products and bring them to the market.
That is all

I can't reread it because your thoughts are poorly formed and when asked you don't bother to make it more clear, but to insult my intelligence.

#225 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I can't reread it because your thoughts are poorly formed and when asked you don't bother to make it more clear, but to insult my intelligence.

It made sense to me with the context that people said the same thing about haggis... But in the end it worked out and they have proven that they will and are delivering from how it seems now anyway.

#226 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

My thoughts are formed quite clearly. Possible my expressions are not familiar to you.

Apologies, I did not mean you any insult, and fail to see where i have levelled one. If you have taken insult it was not by intent, possibly clumsy wording again.

In any case, i'll leave you to it, as i was merely pointing out an example that belied your statements and that was all i wished to do.

Good day.

#227 1 year ago
Quoted from koji:

It made sense to me with the context that people said the same thing about haggis... But in the end it worked out and they have proven that they will and are delivering from how it seems now anyway.

Thank you, i thought i was typing clearly.

#228 1 year ago

I guess it's because saying "patently untrue" to what I wrote doesn't make sense. If you just wanted to say, "well Haggis did it"...say that when I ask you why did you bring up Haggis, not telling me to re-read a two word response.

#229 1 year ago

The verbosity of this discourse led my imagination to this:

(All in good fun, please don't make me get my wig out.)

#230 1 year ago
Quoted from JStoltz:

The verbosity of this discourse led my imagination to this:
[quoted image]

Tut Tut good sir.

#231 1 year ago

Excuse me, I am a gentleman who demands you include the 69 as part of my name.

#232 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I guess it's because saying "patently untrue" to what I wrote doesn't make sense. If you just wanted to say, "well Haggis did it"...say that when I ask you why did you bring up Haggis, not telling me to re-read a two word response.

Two words plus the link.

They need to be together to get context.

Declare untrue/provide proof.

#233 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Excuse me, I am a gentleman who demands you include the 69 as part of my name.

"Nice."

#234 1 year ago

68 previous generations couldn't be wrong. Thanks great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandpa TreyBo Sr

#236 1 year ago
Quoted from manadams:

Debut game reveal.

"Let's take a page from the well worn book of pinball failures and announce our theme and a bit of art first before we have anything else to show."

#237 1 year ago
Quoted from frolic:

"Let's take a page from the well worn book of pinball failures and announce our theme and a bit of art first before we have anything else to show."

This should be a sticky on the front page of the forum.

#238 1 year ago
Quoted from frolic:

This. So much this.

Nobody gives a shit about your unlicensed theme. Sad but true.

Ninja Eclipse. Galactic Tank Force. Total Nuclear Annihilation. Theater of Magic. Attack from Mars. They're all just names.

Revealing them means nothing. They gain value when there's a great game behind them. If AFM was a crummy game it would be a shit theme, just another corny alien invasion. It's a classic because there's a whole package wrapped around a stellar shooting pinball.

People dumped on the GTF teasers because all they wanted was to see a playfield. Proven company, proven designer, doesn't matter.

If you want to make an original game I applaud you, but until you recognize nobody actually cares you're doing it wrong. Shut up, and show your game when people can play it. Until then you're nothing.

#239 1 year ago
Quoted from punkin:

My thoughts are formed quite clearly. Possible my expressions are not familiar to you.
Apologies, I did not mean you any insult, and fail to see where i have levelled one. If you have taken insult it was not by intent, possibly clumsy wording again.
In any case, i'll leave you to it, as i was merely pointing out an example that belied your statements and that was all i wished to do.
Good day.

4mt2y6 (resized).jpg4mt2y6 (resized).jpg
#240 1 year ago

Maybe if someone said they are going to design a game as a game developer... and then later decide to sell it or start their own pinball company people would give them more leeway.

But when people come out of the gate "We're gonna start a pinball company! No we don't have product, nor experience, but don't worry, we're gonna make great games!" -- That's when everyone piles on because they know it almost never works.

If you were to start out being a manufacturing company - you should have experience and resources to do that.. but instead people keep making the mistake of trying to be a pinball manufacturer by trying to build a game studio.

You can be a game studio without being a pinball manufacturer. And being the best game studio doesn't make you suited to being a pinball manufacturer. They are basically two different things.

Nearly every startup did this same thing. Heighway, JPOP, Deeproot, etc. Meanwhile industry pros like Nordman, Lawlor, Richie, and others were able to function as studios that created concepts a manufacturer was willing to buy. Of course, your reputation and history makes that a lot easier. But look at Scott D (TNA), and Scott G (LOV).. where you focus on building a game - not a pinball company. Haggis is really the only standout .. and they at least kept ambitions in check. Spooky was even smaller and rightfully kept their factory ambitions in line with their ability to create games. Those who actually got good product to market... TNA, LOV, TBL, Quetzal, etc.. They chose a competency and focused on that. People who tried to be everything all out of order.. like Heighway.. flop. People like Suncoast simply weren't good enough at it.

#241 1 year ago

I want GWJ on the Turner team. This thread would become 1000% better.

#242 1 year ago

There's a lot of vitriol going on in this thread, but in fairness with over half a dozen new games fighting for attention and dollars at TPF he's chosen the worst possible climate in which to poke his head above the parapet. No, Punny Factory won't be at TPF, even we've got more sense when 99.999999% of the positive attention and focus will be on ambition and product, rather than a team publicly goofing around and just having fun with what they're doing. Having said that, it'll be interesting from this vantage point to see how the two ninja games shape up and eventually sit with each other; they should both be pretty different. I've shown a few interested people what I'm doing with the subject matter and what's planned to go into Forsaken Ninja to gauge some early feedback as a game design. The emphasis, of course, is on 'interested' (alright, and 'few' if you're going to be like that).

#243 1 year ago

I think the main reason so many people are hesitant with TP, talking crap about them, or just completely not interested whatsoever with anything they'll ever produce and therefore don't want them to enter the pinball world has less to do with the fact that they bought up all the DR stuff and are starting a new company from DR's ashes, but with the fact that we don't technically know(and probably never will know) how much he was part and parcel to the whole scam. RM picked him and his company for a reason, they weren't just a random hire.

Because we don't fully know the true nature of the DR/TL relationship, some are left with the stance of: If he was in on it, or knew about it in any way, shape, or form, I want nothing to do with him, his company, or any goods they may or may not ever produce.

It's a fair stance.

#244 1 year ago

Also just looking at his playfield underside, he's clearly using the controllers developed at deeproot. So no matter what, it will have the stink of being built on money stolen from seniors. It's just gross.

#245 1 year ago
Quoted from EalaDubhSidhe:

There's a lot of vitriol going on in this thread, but in fairness with over half a dozen new games fighting for attention and dollars at TPF he's chosen the worst possible climate in which to poke his head above the parapet. No, Punny Factory won't be at TPF, even we've got more sense when 99.999999% of the positive attention and focus will be on ambition and product, rather than a team publicly goofing around and just having fun with what they're doing. Having said that, it'll be interesting from this vantage point to see how the two ninja games shape up and eventually sit with each other; they should both be pretty different. I've shown a few interested people what I'm doing with the subject matter and what's planned to go into Forsaken Ninja to gauge some early feedback as a game design. The emphasis, of course, is on 'interested' (alright, and 'few' if you're going to be like that).

Problem is, I trust Chris Turner about a million times more than I trust Andrew Macbain.

It should be noted, at this point I have almost no trust in Chris Turner, just letting him do his thing so I can make a call on it.

#246 1 year ago
#247 1 year ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

I want GWJ on the Turner team. This thread would become 1000% better.

I think Chris Turner has learned a lot of stuff from Deeproot Pinball fiasco. Along with other small pinball manufacturers from around the world that are making games or getting ready to enter the market. There is very little chance to get games contract manufacturered, you need to go it alone with production or team up with others. That will be the interesting part to see play out later this year.

#248 1 year ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

but with the fact that we don't technically know(and probably never will know) how much he was part and parcel to the whole scam. RM picked him and his company for a reason, they weren't just a random hire.

Because we don't fully know the true nature of the DR/TL relationship, some are left with the stance of: If he was in on it, or knew about it in any way, shape, or form, I want nothing to do with him, his company, or any goods they may or may not ever produce.

At the Deeproot court hearings for bankruptcy, it was Turner that made the Stalking Horse bid, while also being on the court documents as a debtee. Both of those things would have been vetted, especially the Stalking Horse bid. Which as I further recall, the Stalking Horse bid was fully supported by the Trustee and more importantly, it went uncontested.

Now maybe people's sensibilities are offended by these actions, but everything Turner has done in this regard has been transparent and court approved.

People are welcome to believe whatever they like and if you don't like Turner and his company, steer clear of him. For me it's way too early to make any kind of judgment.

(cut, pasted and edited my own comment from other thread)

#249 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Doesn't have to be a poorly thought out business plan.

It does if you plan to take preorders or otherwise scam investors in some way.

#250 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr68:

At the Deeproot court hearings for bankruptcy, it was Turner that made the Stalking Horse bid, while also being on the court documents as a debtee. Both of those things would have been vetted, especially the Stalking Horse bid. Which as I further recall, the Stalking Horse bid was fully supported by the Trustee and more importantly, it went uncontested.
Now maybe people's sensibilities are offended by these actions, but everything Turner has done in this regard has been transparent and court approved.
People are welcome to believe whatever they like and if you don't like Turner and his company, steer clear of him. For me it's way too early to make any kind of judgment.
(cut, pasted and edited my own comment from other thread)

I think you have far too much confidence in what the process really was. The court’s job there is to grt the highest return on the assets for the trust… not play perry mason and uncover layers of relationships. They would do due diligence to ensure turner was their own, the bid made sense and that they were a competent bidder. Not a whole lot more.

There are 845 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/turner-pinball/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.