pasted_image (resized).png
gify.gif
Chaw-chee-chaw.gif
20231024_172209 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 846 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 17.
#801 4 months ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

I don‘t say names don‘t matter, I say your assumption -that family name means ego maniac- is… happily disagreeworthy.
(Biggest ego goes to deeproot and zidware, despite not using their family name.)
You also forgot about Pedretti and some smaller Homebrew guys that also tend to use their names in some sort of branding.
And depending on how you‘re intending to run your business you‘re legally obliged to use your name in the companys name. (I do and I do so because I have to.)

In the USA, there is no law requiring a pinball company to utilize the owner's surname as the company's name. I say this as an American trial attorney going on 40 years; but, one doesn't need a legal education to know this obvious fact.

To imply that ego wasn't part of Chris Turner's thought process when he named his company after himself is disingenuous at best and delusional at worst.

Turner, Heighway and Pedretti are all ego-driven company name selections. As I posted earlier, Turner's choice is problematic for 2 reasons: 1) he is new to the hobby; 2) the Turner name pedigree is attached to deeproot, which is negative within the hobby.

I would like to see Turner Pinball succeed. I'm merely expressing my opinion that he did his company a disservice by falling prey to his ego with his company's name.

#802 4 months ago
Quoted from ZNET:

In the USA, there is no law requiring a pinball company to utilize the owner's surname as the company's name.

Lol. This is so oddly specific, you just must have felt dumb yourself writing this.

Just refering to our local „sole trader“ rules. Here we can‘t freely choose a company name, it has to have ones name in it. So if you start small, even if the endeavour grows, you later most likely stick with the initial name.
Don‘t know how it is in the US and you propably don‘t know for Italy.

That the Turner name is related to deeproot only matters to people who know everything anyway. Wich is about everyone here, so it would make no difference.

Turner Logic is the basis for Turner pinball, and with the product shown that‘s actually a very accurate description of what we got to see. ^_^;

#803 4 months ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Lol. This is so oddly specific, you just must have felt dumb yourself writing this.
Just refering to our local „sole trader“ rules. Here we can‘t freely choose a company name, it has to have ones name in it. So if you start small, even if the endeavour grows, you later most likely stick with the initial name.
Don‘t know how it is in the US and you propably don‘t know for Italy.
That the Turner name is related to deeproot only matters to people who know everything anyway. Wich is about everyone here, so it would make no difference.
Turner Logic is the basis for Turner pinball, and with the product shown that‘s actually a very accurate description of what we got to see. ^_^;

I get it. You think that the Turner Pinball name choice was not motivated in any way by Chris Turner's ego.

How about his original company, Turner Logic? Hmmm. . .I wonder where Chris came up with that name. Is it an homage to Ted Turner? How about Tina Turner?

Keep digging in. You're deep into the hole of your untenable argument. Calling me "dumb" doesn't enhance your illogical position.

#804 4 months ago
Quoted from ZNET:

I get it. You think that the Turner Pinball name choice was not motivated in any way by Chris Turner's ego.
How about his original company, Turner Logic? Hmmm. . .I wonder where Chris came up with that name. Is it an homage to Ted Turner? How about Tina Turner?
Keep digging in. You're deep into the hole of your untenable argument. Calling me "dumb" doesn't enhance your illogical position.

No you don‘t get it but we can just disagree and move on. And I did not call you dumb.

#805 4 months ago
Quoted from ZNET:

He is ignoring, is it a wonder why..Wierd..

#806 4 months ago

DOOOMTRAIN

Don's Pinball Podcast posted this a few months back. This artist is making (and seems to be selling for good money) some paintings of arcades. Saw your paintings on Instagram. Make some extra $.

https://www.donaldyatomi.com/collections/102232
https://www.instagram.com/donaldyatomiart/?g=5

#807 4 months ago
Quoted from dpadam450:

@DOOOMTRAIN
Don's Pinball Podcast posted this a few months back. This artist is making (and seems to be selling for good money) some paintings of arcades. Saw your paintings on Instagram. Make some extra $.
https://www.donaldyatomi.com/collections/102232
https://www.instagram.com/donaldyatomiart/?g=5

These are really cool. I like how the paintings are "abstract" but you can still make out exactly what games are in most of the paintings!

#808 4 months ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

These are really cool. I like how the paintings are "abstract" but you can still make out exactly what games are in most of the paintings!

If you like those paintings, you should check out other impressionist artists like Monet, Renoir, Manet, etc. Of course, since they painted in the 1800's, not many arcades. (And, with that, I've just exhausted my full retention of taking Humanities in college)

#809 4 months ago
Quoted from ZNET:

If you think that a company's name (or product name) is irrelevant, you're oblivious to empirical evidence to the contrary. Go tell that to BackRub (Google's original name) or to the defunct diet candy named Aydes.

Barrels of Fun seems to be doing OK with the dumbest name in pinball

#810 4 months ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

The name has a negative connotation, in my opinion. The phrase, in its modern use, has taken on a sarcastic meaning as in: "Oh boy, I'm soooo looking forward to attending my neighbor's Tupperware party tomorrow instead of watching the football game. That sounds like barrels of fun."

Is the company poking fun at itself? I don't think so. If the company was making retro pinball machine remakes of 1930s prewar games, sure, name the company Barrels of Fun or some other idiom from that era.

Also, the word "barrel" conjures up the image of a rough, primitive wooden container. When I think of a modern pinball cabinet, that's the opposite of what I'm hoping to imagine.

Is the company "doing okay" with its odd name? I suppose that it's overcoming its anemic name with its well-regarded Labyrinth launch. But, pinball enthusiasts would surely have responded more favorably to a cooler name and the ongoing brand would have benefited.

Screenshot_20240102_224147_Google (resized).jpgScreenshot_20240102_224147_Google (resized).jpg
#811 4 months ago
Quoted from Oldgoat:

If you like those paintings, you should check out other impressionist artists like Monet, Renoir, Manet, etc. Of course, since they painted in the 1800's, not many arcades.

Not full on arcades, but I think Monet has a painting with a Pong in the background.

#812 4 months ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Its a dumb name, no doubt, but its still a lot better than "Haggis"

#813 4 months ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Its a dumb name, no doubt, but its still a lot better than "Haggis"

It went well with their first game and people are going to buy the Bally remakes regardless of name. To some degree the Haggis games are going to be for the hardcore old school buyers with expendable income.

Classic Bally is it's own niche.

Labyrinth will get a little of that market but skewed more towards first time buyer or those hot for the theme. It looks like a well done product and they appear to have had a great launch.

Now do Escape from New York for next movie title!

#814 4 months ago
Quoted from ZNET:

But, pinball enthusiasts would surely have responded more favorably to a cooler name and the ongoing brand would have benefited.

Spending too much time on this. People did poke at Barrel's name. But nobody saw Labyrinth and said they aren't buying, don't trust, or don't like them because of their name. Who cares. If this company would have launched at the right price point, you wouldn't have time to care about the name. Every car I've bought was someones last name. Every guitar I bought was someones last name. My favorite pinball games (Stern) are someones last name. If Barrels can do it with that name, I think Turner is the better name. More proof product > company name.

#815 4 months ago
Quoted from dpadam450:

Spending too much time on this. People did poke at Barrel's name. But nobody saw Labyrinth and said they aren't buying, don't trust, or don't like them because of their name. Who cares. If this company would have launched at the right price point, you wouldn't have time to care about the name. Every car I've bought was someones last name. Every guitar I bought was someones last name. My favorite pinball games (Stern) are someones last name. If Barrels can do it with that name, I think Turner is the better name. More proof product > company name.

I don't subscribe to Shakespeare's axiom that a rose by any other name would smell as sweet. Marketing and public relations experts would take issue with Shakespeare. Psychological experiments have proven time and again the strong power of perception over reality.

We like to think of ourselves as purely objective. The reality is that we are all influenced greatly in our purchasing decisions, often subliminally.

Every car you've bought and every guitar you've purchased sported the surname of an exceptionally accomplished person who arguably earned the right to emblazon their name on their product. I respectfully think that your argument, for that reason, actually supports the opposite of your conclusion because Chris Turner enters the hobby anew and has not otherwise distinguished himself in pinball nor in another related field.

Leo Fender changed the field of music. I'm confident that his name alone sold many guitars. Stern enjoys a similar following to some extent via name recognition.

This thread has been stagnant. I posted about the Turner name being a wrong-headed ego move and nothing much more. I never suggested that the lousy name choice will doom the Turner company, irrespective of the product. Likewise, BoF can overcome its lukewarm name. I hope that both companies do so.

If the next pinball company names itself The Diarrhea Dancing Pinball Corporation, I'm definitely evaluating their 1st release with increased skepticism. ;>

#816 4 months ago

WTF. Who gives a shit the name of the company.

If they make good pinball and they don’t charge a moronic amount then who gives a shit.

#817 4 months ago
Quoted from jeffgoldstein2:

Him. And he will voice it online and make sure you know 8 times he don't like it. The rest of us came to www.pinside.com to talk about pinball.

#818 4 months ago
Quoted from jeffgoldstein2:

If they make good pinball and they don’t charge a moronic amount then who gives a shit.

The consensus appears to be that naming a company Barrels of Fungi or Barrels of Dung has either little significance or absolutely zero significance. I'm a word nerd so I am in the former group. . .which is probably comprised by a small minority of pinball enthusiasts.

Another way to look at the question is to imagine a good game at a good price, as you suggest. Would adding a good company name make the equation better or worse? If your answer is marginally better, then the name does matter.

#819 4 months ago
Quoted from dpadam450:

Him. And he will voice it online and make sure you know 8 times he don't like it. The rest of us came to www.pinside.com to talk about pinball.

Nobody is forcing you to read my posts. I've posted under 1,900 times in 12 years, fairly infrequently by Pinside standards.

If you don't like what I seek to contribute to the conversation, just use the block or ignore functions. It's easy and more polite than your post complaining and pretending to speak for all of Pinside.

#820 4 months ago

10 times now.

#822 4 months ago

Living in your head rent-free evidently and so bored in your life that you're actually taking the time to count posts on a Pinside thread. Sheesh.

#823 4 months ago

11!

#824 4 months ago

Since JJP, AP and BoF start with Joe Balcer Designs maybe we can just call‘em „Balcer‘s best Pinball 1 - 3“ and counting?

#825 4 months ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Since JJP, AP and BoF start with Joe Balcer Designs maybe we can just call‘em „Balcer‘s best Pinball 1 - 3“ and counting?

He did Striker X-treme too which is the first Stern if you don't count Harley (which was originally a Sega game)... Joe does seem to crank out one good game per company too.

#827 4 months ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

He did Striker X-treme too which is the first Stern if you don't count Harley (which was originally a Sega game)... Joe does seem to crank out one good game per company too.

Baywatch was the first fame I owned and I loved it, still do. Insane coil juggling ballbaths.

2 months later
#828 68 days ago

Turner pinball has released an update video before their appearance at TPF. New cabinet and new price. The game actually looks good/normal now, and the price: $6994

Honestly, I am fairly impressed. I would take this all day over AP's BBQ game

#829 67 days ago

Good for Chris and co. Feeling likely I'll be able to check this out in person Friday.

#830 67 days ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

David Van Es designed the first game Labyrinth for Barrels of Fun. It was not a Joe Balcer design.

#831 67 days ago

Looks like Chris listened to critiques and made some great changes and with a great price. I will miss TPF this year and the chance to play it but look forward to hearing from those who do get a chance.

#832 67 days ago

Yes Chris is truly genuine and you can tell his whole team loves pinball and love the price; I can’t wait to hear people’s reviews and the art looks great

#833 67 days ago

The changes he has made has definitely increased my interest. Dropping the price was a good decision. Looking forward to hearing people’s feedback. Hopefully flipper strength was also improved.

#834 65 days ago

Anyone at TPF play it?

#835 65 days ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

Anyone at TPF play it?

Soon

PXL_20240315_215658827 (resized).jpgPXL_20240315_215658827 (resized).jpg
#836 65 days ago

Here's the Ninja Eclipse hype thread if anyone wants in on that.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ninja-eclipse-hype-thread

#837 65 days ago

That's some sharp and clear marketing material, nice job.

#838 65 days ago

OK. No fooling. Game is GOOD.

#839 65 days ago

Good on Chris and his team. This guy wants to make this a success. Would love for someone at TPF to post some game play.

#840 65 days ago
Quoted from ReadyPO:

Good on Chris and his team. This guy wants to make this a success. Would love for someone at TPF to post some game play.

I'll check in and ask them about that. Definitely the best way to ramp up interest. Brad Duke was telling me about the rpg elements of which I was not originally aware.

#841 64 days ago

Check out the hype thread to get some info on the rules. I’ll be posting about the RPG elements and other code related bits there.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ninja-eclipse-hype-thread/page/2#post-8080848

#842 63 days ago

Chris Turner on Don's Pinball Podcast. Perhaps the first Turner pinball interview?

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/dpp-tpf-final-day-interviews-be-here/id1662396535?i=1000649503249

1 week later
#843 55 days ago

Chris and I will be on a livestream of PDubs Arcade Loft tomorrow at 7pm Central, 6pm MT. We’ll be chatting all about Turner Pinball, and Ninja Eclipse. It’s gonna be a good time, so come check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/live/1yNwVr8qhtQ?si=eGEH3u5ePDRVU0aP

IMG_7354 (resized).jpegIMG_7354 (resized).jpeg
#844 54 days ago

Chris and I will be live here in an hour, so come check it out! We’ll chat about Ninja Eclipse n sweet pinball stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/live/1yNwVr8qhtQ?si=eGEH3u5ePDRVU0aP

3 weeks later
#845 28 days ago

Sharing the latest CT interview for all the Turner Troops in the Turner Pinball Platoon!

2 weeks later
#846 8 days ago

I played it today in San Antonio, which is only 20ish miles from the manufacturer in Beorne. I'm very much a novice in pinball but I really enjoyed it. Personally I think it needs anti-glare glass because the field brightness is part of the game and it starts off dim - so the house lights reflect and interfere. But I thought that was a cool idea. I'll be back later this week and I'll take pictures.

There are 846 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 17.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/turner-pinball/page/17 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.