Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Yelobird
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is it safe to turn your machines on/off from the wall?”

• Perfectly safe 29 votes
      83%
    • Don't do it! 6 votes
      17%

(35 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20181119_130126 (resized).jpg
    #1 5 years ago

Is there any harm in leaving the power switches on pinball machines on and turning the power on/off from the wall? I'd like to plug my machines into smart switches so I can say, "Alexa, turn on the Arcade" and have everything turn on at once. I just didn't know if this was any harm in this.

#2 5 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Is there any harm in leaving the power switches on pinball machines on and turning the power on/off from the wall? I'd like to plug my machines into smart switches so I can say, "Alexa, turn on the Arcade" and have everything turn on at once. I just didn't know if this was any harm in this.

Perfectly fine. That's how my Alexa is setup "Alexa turn on the Pinball Parlor".

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

You'll be saving wear and tear on the mechanical switches on the machines. No harm to the games themselves, but make sure your infrastructure OUTSIDE the game can handle the surge of current from turning on the machines all at once (i.e. your smart switches are are kept well within current limits, branch line breakers etc...)

#4 5 years ago

Yep, I have most of my games run through one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KFZ98YO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_6z.ICbJXQZK21

I leave them "on" at the game switch 24/7 and use the strip to turn them on and off.

#5 5 years ago

+1: Use Alexa to control the arcade. 'Alexa Let's Play' cranks up the machines with a slight pause between each one, all while playing Pinball Wizard!

#6 5 years ago

With the Stern's spike games on/off switch on the backbox and you have a row of pins lined up Alexa is what you need. She starts all mine up individual one at a time. Alexa, Game of thrones on, Alexa, Aerosmith on, Alexa, The Walking Dead on. Ect ect ect... But when I say Alexa, Game Room Off. Lights and games go off. Now if I could get her to get me a beer.

20181119_130126 (resized).jpg20181119_130126 (resized).jpg
    #7 5 years ago
    Quoted from Dallas_Pin:

+1: Use Alexa to control the arcade. 'Alexa Let's Play' cranks up the machines with a slight pause between each one, all while playing Pinball Wizard!

Dallas_Pin I have the hardware for this (zwave outlets, smart things, echo, etc), but I'm an Alexa novice. Can you give a rough idea how you accomplished this?

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinash:

dallas_pin I have the hardware for this (zwave outlets, smart things, echo, etc), but I'm an Alexa novice. Can you give a rough idea how you accomplished this?

I’m curious about the slight pause, I’d like to do that.

#9 5 years ago

Probably using routines to accomplish this. It’s a flow chart that starts with “when you say Alexa”, what happens? Then what happens after that? Etc. My routine starts all 13 machines, controlled by 4 smart plugs lumped together in one group. I’m pretty sure instead of me having Alexa turn on the group I instead have it turn on smart plug 1, then 2, etc, and end it with dimming the lights and starting the pinball music playlist.

#10 5 years ago

Alexa by default does not accept pauses, so you have to create your own pause by adding an activity. For a pause, have Alexa set volume to 0 and tell Alexa to say something. When Alexa is speaking, you can’t hear it, but it adds a pause for as long as it takes to speak. It’s a work around, but it works. I want my pins to come up in order and not all 12 at once, so this helps.

#11 5 years ago

I also use Alexa for virtually every element of our house including the game room. To take full advantage of Alexa and the features including timed power and sequential power its best to use one of the hooks called IFTTT. Basically they are prewritten mini codes to complete tasks which she can execute. Check it out really not to hard and who know she Might be able to get you a beer! lol

https://ifttt.com

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/turn-on-pinball-from-machine-or-outlet?hl=jwjr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.