(Topic ID: 341342)

Turn off music in High Speed

By scf

11 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinside_forum_7725842_1 (resized).jpg
    IMG_5916 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5937 (resized).jpeg
    #1 11 months ago

I like the sounds in High Speed but the continuously replayed beat is painful to listen to. Is there a way to turn it off without losing the rest of the sounds? Like a modified sound chip? I already connected in modern day music like the theme from Cops and some car-centric hits, so blocking the stock music beat is desired.

#2 11 months ago

Pinsound

#3 11 months ago

I wonder if there are any connector pin(s) you could purposely disconnect/disable between the mpu and the sound board that would only kill the music, since the music comes from the sound board. As long as the game still worked otherwise and you didn't lose other sounds, of course.

#4 11 months ago

I’m pretty sure you can remove the music chip from the sound board and enjoy high speed without it’s awesome soundtrack.

#5 11 months ago

The background music comes from the separate sound board top left in the backbox I believe.
    Perhaps if you disconnect the ribbon cable going there (with the power off of course), only the speech and sound effects remain?

#6 11 months ago
    Quoted from Zigzagzag:

The background music comes from the separate sound board top left in the backbox I believe.
    Perhaps if you disconnect the ribbon cable going there (with the power off of course), only the speech and sound effects remain?

... unless this thread is about #HS2 and not #HS ? My suggestion is only valid for #HS, not #HS2

#7 11 months ago

Blasphemy!

#8 11 months ago

come now, if we are talking HS2, not a ZZ top fan? i cant play enough of that pin at shows... i miss mine, but just didnt have the room!!!

#9 11 months ago

I can’t believe it was that easy! Thank you @zigzagzag! Worked perfectly!! Now I get to listen to ZZ Top and other great tunes while playing HS. Using a relay that starts the music when the ball gets ejected and ends when the ball drains across over 25 songs that I control has made a this great game even greater.

#10 11 months ago

Don't like High Speed's music??? Something may be wrong with you. Getaway HS2 I might understand.

1 week later
    #11 11 months ago

Yeah…maybe but this pin is ripe for mods . Car with headlights that trigger when chased. Helicopter that takes off when chased. Poppers that blow horn sounds when hit, a 12.6 inch LCD behind plexi that shows scenes of Talledega Nights, music that starts when the ball is in play, and more.

IMG_5916 (resized).jpegIMG_5916 (resized).jpegIMG_5937 (resized).jpegIMG_5937 (resized).jpeg
    #12 11 months ago

You turn off the first (and some of the best) music ever created for a pinball machine and then you added this to the PF? Bwahahaha! If your goal is trying to jam a bunch of shit into a machine that does not belong there, then you are doing a fantastic job. It's like the Ed Wood of pinball modders.
    Pinside_forum_7725842_1 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_7725842_1 (resized).jpg

#13 11 months ago

Atrocious

#14 11 months ago
    Quoted from scf:

Yeah…maybe but this pin is ripe for mods . Car with headlights that trigger when chased. Helicopter that takes off when chased. Poppers that blow horn sounds when hit, a 12.6 inch LCD behind plexi that shows scenes of Talledega Nights, music that starts when the ball is in play, and more. [quoted image][quoted image]

Congrats, you F'd up a classic.

#15 11 months ago

What the? That thing blocks half the playfield.

#16 11 months ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

You turn off the first (and some of the best) music ever created for a pinball machine and then you added this to the PF? Bwahahaha! If your goal is trying to jam a bunch of shit into a machine that does not belong there, then you are doing a fantastic job. It's like the Ed Wood of pinball modders.
    [quoted image]

Ed Wood…great analogy. Like Wood’s films, we have campy aesthetics, technical errors, unsophisticated special effects, use of poorly-matched stock footage, eccentric casts, idiosyncratic stories and non sequitur dialogue. Oh…and one more thing…a ton of fun. This was a rescue machine…no paint left on playfield, fried everything and duck-taped cabinet. Now it’s a hit with some semblance of it’s roots. It’s not a classic anymore, never could have been, but it’s cool as heck and addicting to play.

#17 10 months ago

When you said you wanted to turn off the music I thought you might have questionable taste. These photos confirm it.

#18 10 months ago

Throw some LumaLegz on it and it may drown out the music.

Or put a Pinsound board in it and you can have not only the Talladega Nights soundtrack; but, also all the Ricky Bobby quotes you want. I suggest “I don’t know what to do with my hands” when you drain.

Either that or theme it to Smokey and the Bandit… Part III.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.