(Topic ID: 3590)

Turn it off when not in use or leave it in attract mode?

By GoneFishinLvMsg

9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 51 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Spock
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Turn it off when not in use or leave it in attract mode?”

• Leave it on - I love supporting my local power company! 1 vote
      1%
    • Leave it on most of the time, but shut 'er down during long periods on non-use. 16 votes
      12%
    • I feel that leaving pinball machines on 24/7 is wasteful, plus I don't like replacing lamps all the time. 113 votes
      87%

(130 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

images-3.jpeg
    Leviton_Surge_Protector.jpg
    images.jpeg
    Bravo.jpeg
    images.jpeg

There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 9 years ago

Personally I like to leave mine on most of the time because it make it seem like Christmas every day!

#2 9 years ago

Unless I have guests over, my machines are always turned off as soon as I'm done playing them. I can't imagine leaving them on 24/7. Not only is it wasteful from an environmental standpoint, but it's simply not good for the machine. Even with LEDs installed, the backbox still gets really hot. Why would you expose the electronics to more heat than you need to?

#3 9 years ago

I wouldn't think of leaving it on either. Would create more work for myself and wear on the machine.

#4 9 years ago

If you have one of the older gottliebs with a system 80 it could be very detrimental to the machine if you haven't done the ground modifications as the coils could very well lock and burn out themselves or some other area of the machine

#5 9 years ago

Always Off unless I have guests over. Sometimes, say on a Saturday I might leave them on for a bit for the atmosphere. I pass by this room when walking through the house. In the winter they do help with the heat too.

#6 9 years ago

Shut it off. Keeping them on generates too much heat and can damage the pins.

#7 9 years ago

Shut them off. Otherwise heat builds up, connectors get damaged and fail, and component's lives get shortened. As The Dude said, why create work for yourself? Sometimes I'll turn on all my machines for a session and leave them on for an hour or more, but they always get shut off when all playing is done.

#8 9 years ago

OK, if they are that fragile, then how do they survive being routed for years, when they are constantly on?

#9 9 years ago

We're just sayin.I have my machines plugged into a surge protector also,which gets switched off after I switch off the machines.

#10 9 years ago

Well done v8!
    I am super anal about that as well!
    It always pains me to hear the "BZZLLT!" after shutting down- like I just stabbed it with a knife!
    I hope WOZ will do a cycle down before it cuts complete power.
    That would be music to my ears...

#11 9 years ago

Mine are off most of the time, but I do turn them on sometimes and leave them while I hang around the house. I try to leave them on if there is a party so people will free to play them.

#12 9 years ago

I try to leave them on if there is a party so people will free to play them.

Can I party with you donjagra!?!

images.jpeg

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

OK, if they are that fragile, then how do they survive being routed for years, when they are constantly on?

They don't, they generally are beat after being routed for years. And we're not talking normal wear and tear just from being played. Burned connectors, burned wiring, transistors fail, bridges fail, other components fail. Heat takes its toll and you have to spend time and money to repair the damage. Save your self the money and time and turn them off.

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

The answer is...they don't survive. take a look at a machine thats been routed for 10 years. The inserts lift and melt. the connectors melt. Bulbs blow. Back boxes get burnt and yellow...and so forth.

If you had a brand new machine and turned it off every time your done......it would take 30 years to look like a routed one does after 10.

Protect your investment...install Led's and turn it off after use.

#15 9 years ago

If you had a brand new machine and turned it off every time your done......it would take 30 years to look like a routed one does after 10.

Protect your investment...install Led's and turn it off after use.

Bravo.jpeg

Damn wesperron...
    You bring that heat! Must be that 'Tapatio' working...

#16 9 years ago

Nimblepin, I love to party like it's 1989, Back when braided belts and pegged pants were the shiz.

#17 9 years ago

Hopefully you properly 'pegged' them donjagra and didn't saftey-pin them like the rest of the Jack(hole)bots!
    I still have some Z-Cavaricci's if you want to borrow them...

#18 9 years ago

Sometimes I leave them on when I am coming back within the half-hour to play them again.. sometimes.
    I like watching them run through attract mode every once in a while.

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

Damn wesperron...
    You bring that heat! Must be that 'Tapatio' working.

Sorry, little to rough? I get passionate about pinball.

#20 9 years ago

No wes, the water's just fine...

images.jpeg

Sow much Pacsh-un fowr them Pins!
    (In a heavy Boston accent..)

#21 9 years ago

I had ALL 5 on the Other nite.. I went into in the Gameroom Garage and the 1st thing that I noticed was a Bunch of Unnecessary lines from Top to Bottom on the New DMD of BSD .. Damit !!

I turned it off , ( I Turned them All off. ) Went outside a had a smoke.. Came back in and Fired up BSD and the Line's were still there.. I Played a game ---- Today , I got off the Phone with a Guy sell-n his TAF ( should be in the GRG 2-morrow ) I got behind the Tran's to lOOk at the DMD Driver.. I reset the Ribbon cable's , Pushed on the Fuses. ETC...

It's Work-n Fine for Now.. Musta Got Hotttt !!! It got me some what Hot too !!

For Now on,, If i have company over or if I want to Play,, That's when they will be ON !!!

#22 9 years ago

Mine are kept switched off if I'm not going to play them. I just think of my electricity bill. If I leave the 5 pins switched on in the same room it's like leaving a one bar electric fire on all day, you can feel the extra heat from the pins as you walk into the room!

I won't keep switching them on and off constantly between games though. I don't like the thought of all those surges of power going through the electronics each time on start-up and shut down.

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from wesperron:

... take a look at a machine that has been routed for 10 years. The inserts lift and melt, the connectors melt, bulbs blow. Back boxes get burnt and yellow...and so forth.

Precisely. There is a reason why true HUO machines are so coveted by collectors. It's not only because they have less playfield and cabinet wear, but specifically because they haven't been on all day long, every day for the past 20-30 years.

#24 9 years ago

i only leave mine on when i have guests as well. otherwise they are off

#25 9 years ago

My 8 machines stay on for 12 hours during a pinball party and when I turn them off I also pull the plug. Even though I have surge protection I don't trust them, especially during thunder storms pull the plug.

#26 9 years ago
    Quoted from Loupie:

especially during thunder storms pull the plug.

Good call Loupie!
    Welcome to the Pinside!

#27 9 years ago

You can never be too careful. I recently installed one of these bad boys at each of my electrical panels:

Leviton_Surge_Protector.jpg

#28 9 years ago

I have been meaning to do that too gweempose...
    But I get lightning (on average) only three times a year.
    I guess it would help me when I am playing all my pins (simultaneously) and the rolling brown-outs start up again in the summertime.

So many projects!

#29 9 years ago

Turn it off, period.....

#30 9 years ago

On when guests are are visiting, off otherwise.

#31 9 years ago

On during parties. If it is just me or the wife we turn them on as we play them but don't just shut it down if we jump to another machine. I turn them all off when done playing them.

#32 9 years ago

If you really love your machines...the guy I bought a couple of pins from had a smoke detector in each one!

#33 9 years ago

had a smoke detector in each one!

O.K. that is just a little TOO obsessive....

images-3.jpeg

5 years later
    #35 4 years ago

Bumping this old thread to ask what everyone thinks about turning pins off/on in short time periods ... I recently got my first DMD games (T2 & LoTR) and my son has a habit of thinking he is done and then heading back for another game 10 to 30 minutes later. LoTR powers off just fine but T2 sounds about like it just blew up every time i power power down.

So do you power down now if you think there is a high likelihood you'll have the itch to play again in 20 minutes? Am I doing a little damage to my T2 every time I turn it off and it makes that agonizing sound?

Thanks

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from DCS:

Bumping this old thread to ask what everyone thinks about turning pins off/on in short time periods ... I recently got my first DMD games (T2 & LoTR) and my son has a habit of thinking he is done and then heading back for another game 10 to 30 minutes later. LoTR powers off just fine but T2 sounds about like it just blew up every time i power power down.
    So do you power down now if you think there is a high likelihood you'll have the itch to play again in 20 minutes? Am I doing a little damage to my T2 every time I turn it off and it makes that agonizing sound?
    Thanks

If I'm coming back in the next hour or so, I'll leave mine on. Other than that, I turn them off.

Are you talking about the really weird speaker thump when you turn it on? Every Williams game I've ever turned on does that, including my Demolition Man. You get that initial speaker thump followed by the bong. It's normal and has never hurt anything.

#37 4 years ago

I turn mine on when I'm doing work in the room that my pin is in. I like the ambiance. Plus, when I get tired of working, the machine is already on, ready to play.

#38 4 years ago

I think nothing of leaving a machine on during supper if I know I'm coming back for more punishment.
    Mike

#39 4 years ago

I get this question a lot. And I always ask back, "would you leave your car running over night?".

John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, Mi.
    269-979-3836

#40 4 years ago

All machines are on when I'm in the room for the ambiance, but when I leave all are switched off.

#41 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:I get this question a lot. And I always ask back, "would you leave your car running over night?".

What octane do you put in your pinball machine? I use 93. I get a lot more power out of it.

#42 4 years ago

I turn off the lights whenever I leave a room. Same goes for a pin that I'm not looking at or playing.

#43 4 years ago

Only time I ever have all of them on at once is if I have friends over.

IMO, having 5 or more machines, especially when NIB, in the home environment, they will never be on long enough or played long enough to do any damage to them.

#44 4 years ago

I will leave them on sometimes for the ambiance, especially at night. Also when I'm testing repairs to power supplies. But always off before bed, and usually off after I'm done playing.

#45 4 years ago

When I play, and when I feel like cutting them on. The weekends are when mine stay on the most. Usually Saturday night. Unplug when not in use doesn't hurt either. No power surge/lightning worries.To each his own.

#46 4 years ago

I leave them on if I think we will be coming back to them within an hour or so. Typically our games are on up to 2-3 hours on every other weekday and a little longer on weekends.

I actually get a kick out of powering down RFM since it typically seems to trigger a call-out in it's last moment of power. I'm waiting for the day it says "Wait! Nooooo!"

#47 4 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

I will leave them on sometimes for the ambiance, especially at night. Also when I'm testing repairs to power supplies. But always off before bed, and usually off after I'm done playing.

The Liberal government would like you leave the machines on 24/7... And no more energy efficient led bulbs!

#48 4 years ago

When I get pissed off at the game. Quickly turn it off, go play something else. During a playing session, just leave them on. If taking a break, leave them on. Turn them off when you are all done, or after you wake up (again), in the game room. Use the electricity you will save for future pinball parts.

#49 4 years ago

If you don't leave them on, chances are people will think they are broken and won't put any money in them.

Kind of defeats the whole purpose of having a coin operated machine.

But no reason to leave them on once the arcade closes down for the night.

#50 4 years ago

I've noticed when I have people over who have kids, once kids have learned where the power button is, they start games, plunge a few balls, and then turn it off, and head for a new game.

II can always tell if a kid was on a machine when I power it up later. The machine immediately plunges a ball upon power-up.

I prefer to leave them on until I'm done playing. Then I turn them all off at the end.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 839.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 17.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 150.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Great American Pinball
    $ 29.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 8.00
    Electronics
    Docent Electronics
    $ 22.50
    $ 5,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    ArcadeArts
    $ 239.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 119.99
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    FlyLand Designs
    $ 79.99
    Apparel - Unisex
    PinShades
    $ 109.00
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 55.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos LLC
    $ 16.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 29.50
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus
    $ 400.00
    Playfields
    Maple Street Sign Shop
    $ 29.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos LLC
    $ 1,000.00
    Playfields
    Pinball Playfields
    $ 7,699.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 87.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 36.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside