By BlackCatBone

3 weeks ago

Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 week ago by BlackCatBone
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Bally Turf King
    The feature build-up reel is a pinball-style score drum.  The reel tops out at 46. (resized).jpg
    DSC09079 (resized).jpg
    This is what drew me to the Turf King in the first place.  The backglass in the ad looked nice.  In the real it is almost perfect.  It's almost spooky - an NOS glass 67 years old might have more imperfections tan this glass.  The 2  (resized).jpg
    IMG_20171121_0002 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20171121_0001 (resized).jpg

#1 25 days ago

I recently bought a Turf King that came with two keys that would not operate any of the three locks on the game. Does anyone recognize this style of key or know if they look like 1-ball horserace keys? I'm wondering what game the keys might have come from. One key has the Bally name on it. I had to drill out two locks in order to break the game down for transport.

IMG_20171121_0001 (resized).jpg

IMG_20171121_0002 (resized).jpg

This is what drew me to the Turf King in the first place. The backglass in the ad looked nice. In the real it is almost perfect. It's almost spooky - an NOS glass 67 years old might have more imperfections tan this glass. The 2 (resized).jpg

#2 25 days ago

That looks like my front door key for Turf King.

Excellent glass! What's the modification beside the Feature horse?

#3 25 days ago

The key on the left was made by Chicago Lock Company. They private labeled locks for Bally at the time. Not sure if the one on the right is a Fort Lock key or not.

#4 24 days ago
    Quoted from bingopodcast:

That looks like my front door key for Turf King.

Excellent. I was told by the seller that he was given the wrong keys when bought the game at a show, so I suspected they might be horserace keys from a different game. I think I can modify period locks so they will work with the keys I received.

Quoted from bingopodcast:

What's the modification beside the Feature horse?

That's the feature build-up reel. It's a pinball-style score drum that was included in early Turf Kings. (At least that's my understanding.) The number shown represents dollars, and it would be a cash payoff by the location owner. My Turf King shows 45 on the reel, one short of the maximum 46. ($498 in 2017 dollars according to my inflation calculator!) A "Feature Change-Over" plug on the main board allows the operator to set the game to either award replays on the regular score reels or to operate in "Feature Build-Up" mode, in which case no credits would be added to score reels. If the game is operated in "Feature Replay" mode, a second plug determines whether the award is 160 or 320 replays. One of the photos shows the plugs. My game is set to "Feature Replay." Moving the plug to the three empty sockets just to the right would switch the game into the feature build-up mode. The game has two reset buttons - one for the regular replay reels and the other for the feature award.

DSC09079 (resized).jpg

The feature build-up reel is a pinball-style score drum. The reel tops out at 46. (resized).jpg

Bally Turf King "Feature Change-Over" plugs. It currently is set to "Feature Replay," meaning games won are added to the replay meter. The single-prong plug to the immediate left awards 160 or 320 replays (only works when the feat (resized).jpg

#5 24 days ago

Wow! My game does not have that at all. Very interesting. In practice, it's so hard to earn the feature award, I can see why you wouldn't want that to be removed with regular gameplay.

2 weeks later
    #6 7 days ago

Hey Nick -

How many keys do you have for your Turf King? Does one key open all three locks? If your TK has two keys, does one key open the front and rear doors and the other key open the side lock for the backglass frame? I'd like to get new locks that can be adapted to work with my vintage keys, but I want to have them keyed like they would have been when new.

Thanks.
    - John

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    Apparel - Unisex
    Double Danger Pinball
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    £ 22.00
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    Cabinet - Toppers
    liorillusion
    $ 9.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 79.00
    £ 29.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 15.45
    Gameroom - Decorations
    KAHR.US Circuits
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 55.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 6,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 89.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 27.50
    £ 39.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 12.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside