9 months ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by baldtwit
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Merkle 3 (resized).JPG
    Merkle 2 (resized).JPG
    Merkle 1 (resized).JPG
    I've just removed the fan blades from Turf King's fan hub.  I don't see how the hub is attached to the shaft.  The set screw that bingos have is not present.  Is the hub soldered to the shaft? (resized).jpg
    I've almost got Turf King's fan disconnected from the hub on the stator shaft.  Just a little bit of solder holding the fan on at this point. (resized).jpg

#1 9 months ago

Can someone who knows Turf King tell me how the control unit fan attaches to the shaft? My game came with an obvious kludge on the fan - it had a big mass of solder at the center of what looks like might be an original TK fan. I removed the solder and found (as I expected) that the fan blades were soldered to the hub on the shaft. The thing is, I can't tell how the hub is held on to the shaft. The fan hub does not have the same set screw that the bingo games have. I thought maybe the hub had been soldered to the shaft, but I couldn't get it to budge with a reasonable amount of heat and force. I figured I holler for help before I take the motor apart. Anyone know how the fan should be attached to the shaft?

Thanks...

I've almost got Turf King's fan disconnected from the hub on the stator shaft. Just a little bit of solder holding the fan on at this point. (resized).jpg

I've just removed the fan blades from Turf King's fan hub. I don't see how the hub is attached to the shaft. The set screw that bingos have is not present. Is the hub soldered to the shaft? (resized).jpg

#2 9 months ago

Always wondered if techs had an army of those metal fans. They are so fragile. I guess not!

I plan to be working on a game tonight. I should be able to inspect my fan, but I haven't removed it. Is it possible they filled in the set screw area with solder?

Those metal fans didn't just slide on and clip in place like the later plastic ones, so there should be a set screw somewhere.

#3 9 months ago

Nick, I don't think you can solder to those motor shafts.
    They are usually of a steel that does not lent it's self to solder.
    The plastic fans should be relatively easy to find.
    I bet Joe S. would have what ever is required!!!
    Terry K

#4 9 months ago

I meant the actual set screw was simply covered with solder, not soldered to the shaft - that would just fall off!

#5 9 months ago

don't remember the fan - I woulda guessed a small set screw.

the gearbox is a sealed unit. The bottom of it appeared to be pressed in. It may be possible to heat expand the case and get it out, but I've never seen spare parts for a merkle motor so there's not much point.

I vaguely recall that if you remove the conical nuts on the bearing and stator (vice grips ... looks like yours have been removed before), you can take those pieces off and get the rotor out of the gearbox. If you want to fill the gearbox with a solvent to dissolve the old grease then squirt in some new stuff you could do that.

if you find something different post it up!

#6 9 months ago

Here is a couple of pics of my SPARE Merkle motor & fan.
    Doesn't sem to have a "set" screw, looks pressed on!!
    BTW it is available for barter
    Works well!!!
    Terry K

Merkle 1 (resized).JPG

Merkle 2 (resized).JPG

Merkle 3 (resized).JPG

#7 9 months ago

I took a second look for a solder-covered set screw, but there isn't one. Terry, those photos were helpful. I recognized the milled ring with the smaller silver ring inside it on the front of your fan photo. I saw the same rings on my hub after the fan blades came off. I wound up using a small hacksaw to progressively remove sections of the hub. It finally freed up from the shaft when I had 2/3 of the hub sawed off. I don't think the fan was intended to ever come off.

#8 9 months ago

btw, the conical nuts may be reverse-threaded. If they won't turn the usual way, try the other direction.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 170.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Pin Mods
    $ 239.99
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 150.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 157.00
    $ 16.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 34.50
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    The MOD Couple
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 10.95
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 14.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 26.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 15.50
    Lighting - Led
    Lermods
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 109.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 159.00
    $ 189.99

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside