5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by zacaj
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zacaj.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from Junglist:

does that mean my flippers are not properly opening the EOS switches?

Try to manually open the eos switches by hand in the switch test to see if they register at all

Quoted from Junglist:

Would that result in my weaker flippers, esp after playing lots?

No. That's something which is somewhat standard on Sterns due to their flipper design. Stern has special upgraded flipper coils for LOTR which may help if you don't have them yet, but all sterns are going to get weaker if they're played a lot and the coils warm up

Quoted from Junglist:

Any tips on keeping the mechanism tight but making sure its not going to scratch the playfield?

Rebuild them.

2 weeks later
#4 5 years ago
Quoted from Junglist:

Ok so I've rebuilt the flippers and they are better. I've also added a washer under the right flipper and its a perfect height.
I now want to make the flippers the best they can be. Maximum power that lasts consistently throughout an extended playtime.
I've read all about flipper Adj 51,52,53 and also all about EOS adjustments. What I am looking for advice on is whether its better to try to reduce Adj 51="5" from "20", 53 to "0" from "3" to reduce unnecessary coil time (=heat). I have this currently and this seems to have made my flippers somewhat softer, so I'm wondering if I need to visit my EOS gap and make it the 1/8" recommended or if it's better to just adjust 53 up slightly again to restore the additional power? How much extra heat does a ms of max power really generate?
I've looked all over but nothing concrete on whether these flipper adjustments are preferred over adjusting the EOS (which initial checks looks good). I assume I want to fire the coil for just long enough for max power but not a millisecond longer to avoid the dreaded heat build up and weakness over time. I've seen some posts indicate that these adjustments didnt really do anything one way or the other so I'd love to hear some specific feedback.

Theoretically the minimum and maximum time shouldn't matter if the EOS is working properly? I'd think the most important one is 55, to make sure the flipper finishes its stroke after the eos closes (since it can't close at exactly the last moment).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 39.50
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 12.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zacaj.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tuning-flippers-and-eos-questions-on-lotr?tu=zacaj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.