5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by zacaj
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider junglist.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I'm trying to dial in my LOTR flippers and had a couple questions which are probably pretty basic. I find after the lots of playing it does seem they get weaker but I also wonder if they are not as strong as they could be right off the bat.

1) In the switch tests I see there is an "ded switch" test which flashes both the left and right EOS when I'm in it. If i move the flipper with my hand it doesn't seem to change the behavior during this test - does that mean my flippers are not properly opening the EOS switches? Would that result in my weaker flippers, esp after playing lots?

2) I feel like my right flipper is awfully close to the playfield - it doesn't seem to be scratching. I've tried placing a credit card between the busing and the flipper but then I feel like it have to much "slop" and I get loud buzzing and it feels like it's not plunging as smooth as when I have a nice tight fit by pushing down on the flipper and up on the link. Any tips on keeping the mechanism tight but making sure its not going to scratch the playfield?

Thanks!

2 weeks later
#3 5 years ago

Ok so I've rebuilt the flippers and they are better. I've also added a washer under the right flipper and its a perfect height.

I now want to make the flippers the best they can be. Maximum power that lasts consistently throughout an extended playtime.

I've read all about flipper Adj 51,52,53 and also all about EOS adjustments. What I am looking for advice on is whether its better to try to reduce Adj 51="5" from "20", 53 to "0" from "3" to reduce unnecessary coil time (=heat). I have this currently and this seems to have made my flippers somewhat softer, so I'm wondering if I need to visit my EOS gap and make it the 1/8" recommended or if it's better to just adjust 53 up slightly again to restore the additional power? How much extra heat does a ms of max power really generate?

I've looked all over but nothing concrete on whether these flipper adjustments are preferred over adjusting the EOS (which initial checks looks good). I assume I want to fire the coil for just long enough for max power but not a millisecond longer to avoid the dreaded heat build up and weakness over time. I've seen some posts indicate that these adjustments didnt really do anything one way or the other so I'd love to hear some specific feedback.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.95
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 25.00
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 39.50
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider junglist.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tuning-flippers-and-eos-questions-on-lotr?tu=junglist and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.