(Topic ID: 239429)

Tumblers and walnut media

By fossmin

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    IMG_5970 (resized).jpg
    378429B1-DA80-4CB0-BAF8-E27CE579D361 (resized).jpeg
    20200206_122426 (resized).jpg
    367FF738-5F54-446F-865A-F9CAEE60A65A (resized).jpeg
    C4ECFE5C-CF3F-473C-96DC-EF1AF11B123E (resized).jpeg
    EBBC2C98-D8E7-46B9-A6D6-23362553DDEC (resized).jpeg
    F9CCDC35-D015-407C-A518-267C1B2960AB (resized).jpeg
    20190323_151027 (resized).jpg
    20190403_201054 (resized).jpg
    20190329_211835 (resized).jpg
    20190330_133809 (resized).jpg
    1553880472550334765459 (resized).jpg
    15538804552601790244743 (resized).jpg
    There are 86 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

If you use walnut media in your tumbler, what grit do you use?

Thanks

Gerry

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from fossmin:

If you use walnut media in your tumbler, what grit do you use?
    Thanks
    Gerry

Just don't buy fine.

#4 5 years ago

Interesting - I was just going to start a thread on this..... I saw someplace that using the kind for reptiles from the pet store was good. Is that not necessarily the case? Is there a primer on tumbler use and what media and cleaner to use with different materials?

#5 5 years ago

I use corncob...got a big box of it off Amazon. Throw a dryer sheet in there with your parts, and the sheet will collect all the removed garbage off the parts, and will keep your media clean.

#6 5 years ago

Harbor Freight also has a variety of media options.

#7 5 years ago

Kaytee Walnut Bird Litter from Petco

#8 5 years ago

Can you use this for pinballs to? I have a bunch just of used ones

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from Winger03:

Interesting - I was just going to start a thread on this..... I saw someplace that using the kind for reptiles from the pet store was good. Is that not necessarily the case? Is there a primer on tumbler use and what media and cleaner to use with different materials?

Yes, it works great. I use liquid Flitz polishing additive.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from Schabs81:

Can you use this for pinballs to? I have a bunch just of used ones

You can polish pinballs, but you can’t polish dings/divots/ etc. Best to get new. If you polish old pinballs good for crafts.

#11 5 years ago

I polish my balls with mine...it works well. As said above... Any balls with scratching and divots are not going to work.

#12 5 years ago

Pet store walnut shells and 2 spoons of the Mothers polish paste and everything comes out mirror finish. Start it and let it run for a day.

B650F4A4-8090-4305-90A2-795CEE95C12C (resized).jpegB650F4A4-8090-4305-90A2-795CEE95C12C (resized).jpeg
    #13 5 years ago

Good info in this thread. Will need to invest in a tumbler now!

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

I use corncob...got a big box of it off Amazon. Throw a dryer sheet in there with your parts, and the sheet will collect all the removed garbage off the parts, and will keep your media clean.

*briefly considers using the dryer as a huge tumbler*

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Throw a dryer sheet in there with your parts, and the sheet will collect all the removed garbage off the parts, and will keep your media clean.

I have never heard of this before. Wow, I will have to give that a try.
    -Kyros

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from Kyrosfear:

I have never heard of this before. Wow, I will have to give that a try.
    -Kyros

I didn't either until I started tumbling ammo cases for reloading. Those guys turned me onto it, and surprisingly it works!

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from jj44114:

Kaytee Walnut Bird Litter from Petco

What I like about the Kaytee stuff is, it's dustless and very clean. I bought some stuff off Amazon real cheap a number of years ago and ended up throwing most of it away. It was too fine, which caused it to easily clump up with the additive and it was also very dusty. It really made a mess of the shop.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

I didn't either until I started tumbling ammo cases for reloading. Those guys turned me onto it, and surprisingly it works!

Same for me... didn't know about the sheets until I read about it in a reloading forum..

Haven't used the tumbler for pinball parts yet, but will do in the future.D

Dave

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

Good info in this thread. Will need to invest in a tumbler now!

Don't waste your $ on the 5lb one get the 18lb. You'll be glad you did.

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

Don't waste your $ on the 5lb one get the 18lb. You'll be glad you did.

Harbor freight???

And also, would a 4 bank drop target assembly not fit in a 5lb tumbler? I'd have to see in person if it did or not. It's not like I restore machines or anything, it'd be for the (very) occasional classic machine that needs a proper shop job.

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

Harbor freight???
    And also, would a 4 bank drop target assembly not fit in a 5lb tumbler? I'd have to see in person if it did or not. It's not like I restore machines or anything, it'd be for the (very) occasional classic machine that needs a proper shop job.

Drop target assembly definitely won't fit in a 5 lb. There is a rod going up through the middle so you can screw the lid on, so that kills your space in there.

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Drop target assembly definitely won't fit in a 5 lb. There is a rod going up through the middle so you can screw the lid on, so that kills your space in there.

Even disassembled? I'm thinking the backing plate is probably the biggest thing (I'm referring classic Bally)

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

Even disassembled? I'm thinking the backing plate is probably the biggest thing (I'm referring classic Bally)

It might be a tight squeeze on the backing plate. But I don't have an assembly in my stash or I'd check it out for you. Is yours rusty, or gunky? On something like that, the Evaporust bath usually takes care of any corrosion for me.

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

what are these dryer sheets? is this a usa thing hehe?
    my media gets very dirty sounds like these sheets will help solve that issue

20190327_185618 (resized).jpg20190327_185618 (resized).jpg
    #25 5 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

It might be a tight squeeze on the backing plate. But I don't have an assembly in my stash or I'd check it out for you. Is yours rusty, or gunky? On something like that, the Evaporust bath usually takes care of any corrosion for me.

No rust. I'm just thinking for future games where I can use the tumbler to clean the mechs instead of the ultra-sonic. I worked on a Stars recently that had some green powder (corrosion I'm assuming) on the mechs where the US cleaner took off the flaky stuff, but I would think in that case a tumbler might have done a better job. I'm also considering price, footprint, and noise as factors.

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from russdx:

what are these dryer sheets? is this a usa thing hehe?
    my media gets very dirty sounds like these sheets will help solve that issue[quoted image]

GUEST_e681738f-c55b-4852-9f41-c0bfe1f1d4dd (resized).jpgGUEST_e681738f-c55b-4852-9f41-c0bfe1f1d4dd (resized).jpg
    #27 5 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

[quoted image]

never heard of them ill ask my gf
    thanks

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

And also, would a 4 bank drop target assembly not fit in a 5lb tumbler?

Yes harbor freight. And no your drop targets assy even disassembled will not fit in a 5lber. I put something big in the 5lb I had and wore a hole in the side of it because it could not move around in the bin. Got stuck in one spot and burned thru.

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

No rust. I'm just thinking for future games where I can use the tumbler to clean the mechs instead of the ultra-sonic. .

While a tumbler will clean and polish, I'd highly recommend cleaning your parts before tumbling or the media gets dirty quickly. They don't have to go in an ultrasonic. Just spray with Purple Power, brush well and rinse.

57348913834__B1176415-81DD-4DCA-B942-75B5B25F7965 (resized).JPG57348913834__B1176415-81DD-4DCA-B942-75B5B25F7965 (resized).JPG
    #30 5 years ago
    Quoted from timab2000:

And no your drop targets assy even disassembled will not fit in a 5lber.

Agreed. They won't even be close. If you've got larger pieces you need tumbled, I'd be more than happy to do them for you. Just pay postage both ways.

Larger tumblers just don't pay for themselves if you only need them once or twice a year. I can tumble most anything.

57349788836__F3D2A417-965A-4C0F-98E3-2B9EDB946AF1 (resized).JPG57349788836__F3D2A417-965A-4C0F-98E3-2B9EDB946AF1 (resized).JPG
    #31 5 years ago

Here's my 18-pounder from Harbor Freight works great that is a Bally coin door hinge some of the other things that is polished up. Real happy with it

15538804552601790244743 (resized).jpg15538804552601790244743 (resized).jpg1553880472550334765459 (resized).jpg1553880472550334765459 (resized).jpg
    #32 5 years ago

Speaking of large parts. Has anyone used or modified a Harbor Freight rock tumbler? I was thinking you could make a good sized tumbler with some PVC and a little ingenuity...

https://www.harborfreight.com/dual-drum-rotary-rock-tumbler-67632.html

#33 5 years ago

I have the 5lb Harbor Freight model, and after many many hours of tumbling last year, the threaded rod that holds the lid on stripped out. I wound up tearing it completely down to get the rod out, and replaced it with a slightly thicker one made from 1/4-20 thread. Things have been great since then. The 5lb one will fit 95% of the above playfield parts, with the exception of long wire forms. Apparently the hot sausage right now for reloaders is the wet drum style tumblers with stainless steel rods for media. Their brass comes out beautiful after only 2 hours or so.

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

I have the 5lb Harbor Freight model, and after many many hours of tumbling last year, the threaded rod that holds the lid on stripped out. I wound up tearing it completely down to get the rod out, and replaced it with a slightly thicker one made from 1/4-20 thread. Things have been great since then. The 5lb one will fit 95% of the above playfield parts, with the exception of long wire forms. Apparently the hot sausage right now for reloaders is the wet drum style tumblers with stainless steel rods for media. Their brass comes out beautiful after only 2 hours or so.

I havent used stainless steel rods for media, but I have been using a Thumler tumbler for all of my tumbling for over the last 10 years. Quiet, spacious, and does a fantastic job with wet and dry media.

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

I did the exact same thing to my 5lb FH tumbler. Now I am considering moving up to the 18lb model.

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from Ballypin:

I did the exact same thing to my 5lb FH tumbler. Now I am considering moving up to the 18lb model.

It's nice having both sizes. It's a lot easier picking a bunch of fasteners out of the 5lb tumbler then the 18. I only us the 18 for larger parts.

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

After using walnut I am about to give corncob a try. I couldn't find walnut locally anymore other than a huge expensive box of it at Harbor Freight. I am interested to see how corncob does compared to walnut.

#38 5 years ago

yay gf came through

20190330_133809 (resized).jpg20190330_133809 (resized).jpg
    #39 5 years ago

Do the dryer sheets smell real strong in a room when used in tumbler?

I want to try this too, really interesting! But, I don't use sheets (and only no scent added detergent) for allergy reasons, so if the smell comes out strong in room, I'll have to make sure to run in garage when I'm not going to be in there or something.

Just curious.
    Thanks.

#40 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinstyle:

After using walnut I am about to give corncob a try. I couldn't find walnut locally anymore other than a huge expensive box of it at Harbor Freight. I am interested to see how corncob does compared to walnut.

Corncob is a bit less abrasive...so it may take longer, but I have no complaints so far. Seems to last quite a while.

#41 5 years ago

I usually tumble in walnut for three days. Do you think corncob would be longer? Just started a batch today, trying a dryer sheet to see how that goes.

#42 5 years ago

I always read wallnut for cleaning and corn for polishing.

I have run some really corioded (thought i was going to have to chuck them) parts in the other day for 48 hours with some novus2

ill next put them in corn cob with some metal polish and run for 24hours see if they shine up any more I'm assuming the dryer sheet is only needed for the cleaning run.

20190329_211835 (resized).jpg20190329_211835 (resized).jpg

#43 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

While a tumbler will clean and polish, I'd highly recommend cleaning your parts before tumbling or the media gets dirty quickly. They don't have to go in an ultrasonic. Just spray with Purple Power, brush well and rinse.[quoted image]

I soak all of my parts in Purple Power, Mean Green, or any other cleaning liquid. Sometimes I scrub them with soap and water. I use corn cob media. After a soak, rince and scrub I throw them in the tumbler wet.

The corn cob media lasts a long time.

#44 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Agreed. They won't even be close. If you've got larger pieces you need tumbled, I'd be more than happy to do them for you. Just pay postage both ways.
    Larger tumblers just don't pay for themselves if you only need them once or twice a year. I can tumble most anything.
    [quoted image]

My 5 lb. tumbler works for most items. There are times I wish I had the 18 lb’er but I cannot justify the cost.

For my drop target metal plates I use the buffer and shine them up.

#45 5 years ago

1 day in corn cob really shined them up.

20190403_201054 (resized).jpg20190403_201054 (resized).jpg
    #46 5 years ago

FYI: DO NOT put jewel posts in the tumbler. The media plugs up the holes and its nearly impossible to get out.

#47 5 years ago

I think one thing I did not like about the corncob is having to weed through it to find the smaller stuff. My usual method of sifting out things did not work out with the corncob being it is so large. Another thing I noticed is every single nut had corncob stuck in it, unlike the walnut with only occasionally having some stuck in a nut. I think the corncob is probably ok for larger stuff. I will probably use what I have left and likely switch back to walnut.

#48 5 years ago

Anybody try using sand? Not to polish..but to clean really corroded parts to be painted?

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinstyle:

I think one thing I did not like about the corncob is having to weed through it to find the smaller stuff. My usual method of sifting out things did not work out with the corncob being it is so large. Another thing I noticed is every single nut had corncob stuck in it, unlike the walnut with only occasionally having some stuck in a nut. I think the corncob is probably ok for larger stuff. I will probably use what I have left and likely switch back to walnut.

I had a simular issue but using a magnet on a stick it picks everything up in a couple sweeps

Regards
    Russell

#50 5 years ago

I use a colander and a five gallon bucket. I go outside and pour the media through the colander, and the wind blows the tiny particles somewhere, helping to clean the media, while the parts stay in the colander. Of course, you need to make sure your grit is small enough to go through the colander. I use walnut medium grit.

There are 86 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tumblers-and-walnut-media?hl=winger03 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.