(Topic ID: 72625)

Tumbler Use - What's Working Best For You?

By jasonsmith

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by boilerman
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What is working best for you? Pick the media type and the time.”

• Corn Cob Media 4 votes
      11%
    • Walnut Shells 13 votes
      36%
    • 0 - 5 hrs Dry 0 votes
    • 0 - 5 hrs with polish 0 votes
    • 6 - 10 hrs dry 1 vote
      3%
    • 6 - 10 hrs with polish 0 votes
    • 11 - 24 hrs dry 0 votes
    • 11 - 24 hrs with polish 8 votes
      22%
    • 24+ hrs with or without polish. 10 votes
      28%

(Multiple choice - 36 votes by 21 Pinsiders)

#1 10 years ago

It seems as though my tumbler results vary from machine to machine. Just curious what others are doing to get good results.

#2 10 years ago

I voted but I've had my personal best luck with 48 hours with polish using walnut shells. I've been using Novus #2 as the polish.

#3 10 years ago

On thing I have had some success with is cleaning the parts prior to tumbling with an ultrasonic cleaner. It make the polisher polish only, not clean and polish. Seems to save on media (walnuts) and cut down on time. I get my walnuts from the prid section of Petco. I wouldn't even consider going under 24 hours, even with the pre-wash. I used Flitz (curiously enough) tumbler additive I get from Cabela's. I have heard some shooters use Nu Finish. So I tried that, Novus 3, Brasso, Turtle Wax polish and just about everything else. None of it was significantly cheaper than Flitz and none of it did even close to as good a job.

#4 10 years ago

^^ this. I use degreaser in the ultrasound for cleaning and the tumbler for polishing

-Jeff

#5 10 years ago

I like using corn cob and Kit Scratch Out.....works pretty good.

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from dmacy:

I voted but I've had my personal best luck with 48 hours with polish using walnut shells. I've been using Novus #2 as the polish.

I do the 48 hours also but use Novus 3 in a vibrator tumbler.

Ken

#7 10 years ago

I've only done balls so far but walnut media with Novus 3 and 72 hours does a fantastic job!

#8 10 years ago

Not all tumblers are created equal either!

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from stashyboy:

Not all tumblers are created equal either!

Ya that's very true stash. I'm using the typical blue vibrating one that I see most often. Couldn't afford a real drum type.

When do most of you add the novus, right in the beginning or some other time?

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from jasonsmith:

When do most of you add the novus, right in the beginning or some other time?

In the beginning a few squirts does the trick, then I add a squirt or two for each use after.

Ken

#11 10 years ago

I use a mix of 70/30 corn/walnut
    I preclean with super clean
    I use chrome polish
    and 24hrs normally do it

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tumbler-use-whats-working-best-for-you and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.