(Topic ID: 314787)

Tumbler Tumbler media question: Walnut or other Media recomendations

By Kerry_Richard

1 year ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

90C57FC6-198E-4BEE-9E3B-C363A28D26B7 (resized).jpeg
    524D32BD-8A78-46BF-866B-705A31238433 (resized).jpeg
    Tumbler Walnut Media (resized).jpg
    #1 1 year ago

Hello Pinsiders...

I purchased a bag of walnut shell media from pet store for my tumbler (cat litter media picture below).

After 2 days of tumbling, it has almost turned into powder, allowing metal parts to touch each other and now they're badly scratched.

Is there a better form of media you restorers recommend?

Let me know.
    Thanks
    Kerry

Tumbler Walnut Media (resized).jpgTumbler Walnut Media (resized).jpg
    #3 1 year ago

Didn’t know it came as a cat litter. I buy crushed walnut shells used for reptile bedding. Works great. I also add an ounce of this.

524D32BD-8A78-46BF-866B-705A31238433 (resized).jpeg524D32BD-8A78-46BF-866B-705A31238433 (resized).jpeg90C57FC6-198E-4BEE-9E3B-C363A28D26B7 (resized).jpeg90C57FC6-198E-4BEE-9E3B-C363A28D26B7 (resized).jpeg
    #4 1 year ago

Here's what I use. Will not break down and very little dust, if any at all.

I bought some cheap stuff off Amazon a few years ago and it was a nightmare. It was too fine and kept clumping up in corners of parts and the dust it created was ridiculous. I ended up throwing most of it away.

And it doesn't matter what media you use, your parts are going to touch.

https://www.chewy.com/kaytee-walnut-natural-bird-litter/dp/122945?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=12791145766&utm_content=Kaytee&utm_term=&gclid=CjwKCAjw682TBhATEiwA9crl3ziIwnfU4CGg6e9hTYt5Lnfgtm4frDWV_bbIvzSspQ4KhVmYJE8FYRoCvdYQAvD_BwE

#5 1 year ago

Thank You Guys for responding to my media question.

I'll throw out this walnut shell cat litter and get the better product.

Question: I've heard many indicate they put in an liquid additive like: Fritz / Brass-O / White Diamond Metal Polish etc.

Any thoughts on these Good or Bad?

Thanks
    Kerry

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

Any thoughts on these Good or Bad?

Pick one and go with it I personally use Mother Mag polish and think it does a much better job than Fitz but tons of people use that and love it.

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Pick one and go with it I personally use Mother Mag polish and think it does a much better job than Fitz but tons of people use that and love it.

I like the White Diamond. Smells like vanilla and drastically cuts down on polishing time.

#8 1 year ago

Great tips, Thanks for sharing... anyone ever use this Brasso metal polish?

https://www.amazon.com/Brasso-Multi-Purpose-Metal-Polish-Pack/dp/B07WT3FLCW/ref=sr_1_6

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Agreed. Not sure if it matters what you use but you definitely need a liquid additive.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tumbler-tumbler-media-question-walnut-or-other-media-recomendations and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.