(Topic ID: 175947)

Tumbler Trick

By cottonm4

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3358 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3359 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3361 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3360 (resized).JPG
    small tumbler (resized).jpg
    20170310_105353 (resized).jpg
    20170310_105211 (resized).jpg
    20170310_105203 (resized).jpg
    2016-12-16 06.57.05 (resized).jpg

#1 7 years ago

After spending a few months with my tumbler and using corn cobb media, I find the job of digging the corn cob media out of Phillips screw cross-hairs and straight-slot screw slots that were getting clogged up to be a general PIA.

I tried leaving my tumbler empty and then tossed all the screws back in and tumbled them for a couple of minutes to see if this would help avoid a PIA job.

It is not 100% but it did a good job cleaning the media from most of the screw heads.

Your mileage may differ, but it is worth you giving it a try.

#2 7 years ago

I just use a pick which is pretty quick and painless but I'm also curious if their is a tip of the trade for this though.

#3 7 years ago

Ever try an old toothbrush?

#4 7 years ago

Tried and that never worked well. Sometimes my metal pick even required some coaxing to get them out.

#5 7 years ago

Nice tip. Here's mine: tumble old dirty bulbs to make them look like new

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

Nice tip. Here's mine: tumble old dirty bulbs to make them look like new

I wonder what you do get out of these new-looking bulbs?
    Although it may be worth doing if it is a batch of old GE bulbs.....

Yves

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from Arcane:

I wonder what you do get out of these new-looking bulbs?
    Although it may be worth doing if it is a batch of old GE bulbs.....
    Yves

A lot of bulbs have dirt, grime and corrosion. The tumbler makes this go away and reduces resistance with the socket.

Additionally, I donate bulbs to the pinball museum and it looks nice to have clean glass on those bulbs. This is what made me tumble them the first time

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

A lot of bulbs have dirt, grime and corrosion. The tumbler makes this go away and reduces resistance with the socket.
    Additionally, I donate bulbs to the pinball museum and it looks nice to have clean glass on those bulbs. This is what made me tumble them the first time

Yeah, tumbled bulbs look brand new and if you get a bad one just toss it.

I tumble switches, too. Switches really clean up nice.

#9 7 years ago

I broke up with my tumbler recently, and moved in with the ultrasonic cleaner and buffing wheel.
    =)
    -mof

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

I broke up with my tumbler recently, and moved in with the ultrasonic cleaner and buffing wheel.
    =)
    -mof

What brand ultrasonic cleaner? Tell us about it.

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

What brand ultrasonic cleaner? Tell us about it.

Harbor Freight's 2.5L $80 model has worked well, and their 6" $45 buffing wheel.

-mof

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

=)
    -mof

they're cheating on you .. im seeing both of them too.

tumbler is still the go for bulbs .. ultrasonic breaks the filaments

#13 7 years ago

Sometimes it's hard to get the pieces out of the tumbler. Sometimes it's really easy2016-12-16 06.57.05 (resized).jpg2016-12-16 06.57.05 (resized).jpg

2 months later
    #14 7 years ago

Do you guys prefer corn cob media or stainless steel shape media? I bought a tumbler and using stainless steel shot media but after an hour not seeing much differance. Suggestions.

#15 7 years ago

I use walnut shell and don't even look for 12 hours

#16 7 years ago

I use walnut and Flitz.

#17 7 years ago

After tumbling if any media stuck in screwheads I put the screws in a baggie and shake. Works pretty good.

#18 7 years ago

Any of you pros have a recommendation on getting lots of small pieces out? I feel like I'm standing there for an hour pulling handfuls of walnut media out in order to grab those last few screws and washers.

On the plus side, mine is doing an amazing job!

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Any of you pros have a recommendation on getting lots of small pieces out? I feel like I'm standing there for an hour pulling handfuls of walnut media out in order to grab those last few screws and washers.

I drop it all back in the ultra sonicator and that gets lots of it out.

then dental pick for remaining

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I bought a decently powerful magnet at the shack and dragging it through the media usually gets it all

#21 7 years ago

About 10 bucks total from Big Lots.

It's a small plastic garbage can with a locking lid using their strainer. Just dump the media..pick your parts out and throw the strainer in the can (with the media) for storage. I'm actually grabbing another one today for corn cob media

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

20170310_105203 (resized).jpg20170310_105203 (resized).jpg

20170310_105211 (resized).jpg20170310_105211 (resized).jpg

20170310_105353 (resized).jpg20170310_105353 (resized).jpg

#22 7 years ago

I have a big tumbler and I'm tired of fishing through all the media for small screws once they are done so I am going to invest in another tumbler just to do those:

ebay.com link: itm

small tumbler (resized).jpgsmall tumbler (resized).jpg

#23 7 years ago

Wow, these are all great ideas! The strainer seems the cheapest and most logical option, but we dont' have a damn Big Lots anywhere nearby

#24 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Wow, these are all great ideas! The strainer seems the cheapest and most logical option, but we dont' have a damn Big Lots anywhere nearby

Try Family Dollar or Dollar General, probably find something similar.

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

You don't need to go to Big Lots. Got to Walmart and get a collander.

https://www.google.com/search?q=colander&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjlxqyG-8zSAhXIOCYKHe8QCdkQ_AUIBigB&biw=1263&bih=887

Or go to hardware store and get some screen wire, tape, and a couple of 5 gallon buckets.

I used kitty litter containers since I have a cat.

IMG_3360 (resized).JPGIMG_3360 (resized).JPG

IMG_3359 (resized).JPGIMG_3359 (resized).JPG

IMG_3358 (resized).JPGIMG_3358 (resized).JPG

IMG_3361 (resized).JPGIMG_3361 (resized).JPG

#26 7 years ago

I was making a sort of (not very funny) joke. But thanks again for the ideas. Kitty litter boxes are DEFINITELY something we have around here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tumbler-trick and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.