You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

k2-_7a04cf6e-799b-44fd-81ea-0e88941418f3_v1_(resized).jpg
Sctatch_out_at_good_priceCapture_(resized).JPG
#1 8 years ago

Hi guys,

I'm going to tumble some small metal parts for the Atlantis I'm restoring using the small tumbler from Harbor Freight and some walnut media. Do you add a small amount of liquid to the media and, if so, what do you add and how much?

Thanks, I'll hang up and listen.

Mark

#2 8 years ago

I use a squeeze of Flitz. Works great and doesn't take much.

#3 8 years ago

Wonder if a dab of metal polish like Mother's would work?

#4 8 years ago

Flitz is a metal polish so it may be just fine.

#5 8 years ago

I use mothers liquid metal polish. Others swear by flitz, but mothers is cheaper and seems to work fine for me.

#6 8 years ago

From my experience without the use of a media additive the tumbler/walnut media is ineffective. I use Flitz Tumbler/Media Additive which gives good results.

#7 8 years ago

I use 'scratch out'from auto stores. Very good results, available in brick and mortar stores at a price I like.

#8 8 years ago

Flitz, KIT Scratch Out, and Novus 2 if I don't have the others. Usually 48 hours tumbling.

#9 8 years ago

I use Novus 3

#10 8 years ago

You are going to get so many recommendations here but I would just use the mothers brand if that is what you have. I have tried out a few different brands and to be honest they all work the same.

#11 8 years ago

NuFinish (auto detailing wax) mixed with denatured alcohol to thin it out works great as well. Both are readily available at your local Walmart or similar store.

#12 8 years ago

How long does the Flitz last? Do you have to put more in with every load?

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from Sheprd:

How long does the Flitz last? Do you have to put more in with every load?

Seriously not long enough. If you are doing a couple of machines you go through the products quickly. It all adds up, finding a product that you are happy with quality wise at a better price is my goal.

Sctatch_out_at_good_priceCapture_(resized).JPGSctatch_out_at_good_priceCapture_(resized).JPG

#14 8 years ago

I have tried a lot of things and the cheap stuff works just as well as the high dollar stuff
I use this at 2.50 a bottle
add a little on every load. my tumbler runs 24/7 I always have something to clean

k2-_7a04cf6e-799b-44fd-81ea-0e88941418f3_v1_(resized).jpgk2-_7a04cf6e-799b-44fd-81ea-0e88941418f3_v1_(resized).jpg

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from bflagg:

I use a squeeze of Flitz. Works great and doesn't take much.

How much is a "squeeze"? 1 Tblspoon-ish?

#16 8 years ago

Maybe 1-2 teaspoons. I've only run 3 batches and it hasn't made a dent in the tube of Flitz

#17 8 years ago

Well, I didn't know to add anything so just tumbled for 3 days and most things have come out real shiny.

Next time will add Novus 2 and see what the difference is.

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Well, I didn't know to add anything so just tumbled for 3 days and most things have come out real shiny.
Next time will add Novus 2 and see what the difference is.

Novus 3 might do something, but 2 has very little abrasive.

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

Novus 3 might do something, but 2 has very little abrasive.

Guess I would try metal polish then.

Novus 2 is nice to use on cabinets to clean dirt etc off and put a shine on at same time.

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Novus 2 is nice to use on cabinets to clean dirt etc off and put a shine on at same time.

Keep in mind, by using novus 2, what you're basically doing is sanding down the paint and exposing a fresh layer, not necessarily just cleaning the surface.

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Keep in mind, by using novus 2, what you're basically doing is sanding down the paint and exposing a fresh layer, not necessarily just cleaning the surface.

That is useful to know and explains why it works so well!

#22 8 years ago

Novus 2 isn't abrasive enough to sand down paint. Novus 3 would be more likely to do something like that, but 2 is a fine abrasive. You'd really have to work it to remove a layer of paint, and if you did that you'd see it on the cloth.

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

Novus 2 isn't abrasive enough to sand down paint. Novus 3 would be more likely to do something like that, but 2 is a fine abrasive. You'd really have to work it to remove a layer of paint, and if you did that you'd see it on the cloth.

It doesn't really take much, especially with older stenciled cabs where the paint is already pretty thin.

#24 8 years ago

Well, I'll just say this. When I do cab repaints, I use a round orbital sander to remove the old design. Generally I'm using 100 grit.

It takes quite a bit to get all the paint off. It's not quite so thin that you could remove it with Novus 2.

Novus 2 is about a 1200 grit equivalency. Anyone who has ever done any car body work knows that grit that fine isn't going to remove paint. It's used to take out very fine scratches, generally in a clear coat.

As I said, if you're removing paint with something, it's going to show on the cloth. I've never seen paint on the cloth using Novus, even on a playfield. It's just not abrasive enough.

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

Well, I'll just say this. When I do cab repaints, I use a round orbital sander to remove the old design. Generally I'm using 100 grit.
It takes quite a bit to get all the paint off. It's not quite so thin that you could remove it with Novus 2.
Novus 2 is about a 1200 grit equivalency. Anyone who has ever done any car body work knows that grit that fine isn't going to remove paint. It's used to take out very fine scratches, generally in a clear coat.
As I said, if you're removing paint with something, it's going to show on the cloth. I've never seen paint on the cloth using Novus, even on a playfield. It's just not abrasive enough.

I used novus 2 on this cabinet to get rid of some black marks.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-gottlieb-amazing-spider-man#post-2883373

You can see some thin areas in the pink/red areas on the figure, and a blurred area on the top edge of the sword.

Granted, this was a little bit of rubbing--not just one pass and done.

#26 8 years ago

Steven in TX

Ok I'm game HOS industries for Formula1 scratch remover for $2.44 do you have a link? Walmart & Amazon have it but for 8-9 bucks

DQ74

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from 1974DeltaQueen:

Steven in TX
Ok I'm game HOS industries for Formula1 scratch remover for $2.44 do you have a link? Walmart & Amazon have it but for 8-9 bucks
DQ74

Here it is.

http://hardwareonlinestore.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=productdetails&virtuemart_product_id=108038&virtuemart_category_id=14110&gclid=CjwKEAiAzuK0BRCW4tiLpJT-8TISJADV8cw9jB_sg8KUojojtD2JtEpMl6HNYpOEen3LwOXSnBLutBoCK2nw_wcB

Shipping is not free, but still cheapest.

#28 8 years ago

Steve,

Thank you for the link. I will try Boliernans turtle wax stuff first since my local Wal Mart has it in stock (or so they say, they've lied to me before)

DQ74

#29 8 years ago

Curious: How full do you fill the tumbler with the media? If I'm tumbling a handful of screws, for instance, do I just put enough walnut media in to cover them, along with whatever polish I'm using? Or does it need to be almost full?

#30 8 years ago

Good question. I am half full currently (running out of good shells) and just put enough bits in that it can still be covered by the shell and it works ok.

#31 8 years ago

I fill my tumbler 3/4 full for everything . Also Harbor Freight has the cheapest box of walnut shells with a 20% off coupon it's a good deal. They have fine and course, I use fine .

#32 8 years ago

I use walnut shells with red rouge already on the media from the factory. Works great!

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from Greybeard:

I use walnut shells with red rouge already on the media from the factory. Works great!

I disagree. I have used that stuff with the red rouge & it tends to stick to the parts. Have had much better luck with plain fine walnut shells & Turtle wax chrome polish.

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

I disagree. I have used that stuff with the red rouge & it tends to stick to that parts. Have had much better luck with plain fine walnut shells & Turtle wax chrome polish.

Yes, makes a giant mess. Never again.

#35 8 years ago

General tumbling advice:

-Don't overload your tumbler. Too much media or parts and it will ruin the tumbling action and parts will not clean fast or well.

-Replace your media when it gets dirty(black/dark and impacted with garbage). Once your media gets dirty it won't clean well, it is a false economy to keep using dirty media.

#36 8 years ago

Clean your parts before you tumble them.

Don't put gummed up parts in the tumbler and contaminate your media.

#37 8 years ago

I'm still using the media and polish from cabelas . I got this kit for 55$ in 2014 Black Friday door buster. I like the strainer it's good for most parts. When I tumble fine screws or acorn nuts I have a stainless wire colander i stole from the kitchen

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=731769&destination=%2Fmobile%2Fcatalog%2Fproduct.jsp%3FproductId%3D731767%26type%3Dproduct%26WT.tsrc%3DCSE%26productVariantId%3D1360993%26srccode%3Dcii_17588969%26cpncode%3D43-134313421-2%26WT.mc_id%3DGoogleProductAds%26rid%3D20%26WT.z_mc_id1%3D20008277

1 year later
#38 6 years ago

Which one should I buy, coarse (12 grit) or fine (24 grit)?

https://www.harborfreight.com/25-lbs-coarse-grade-walnut-shell-blast-media-92150.html
25 lbs. Walnut Shell 12 Grit Coarse Abrasive Media $24.99

https://www.harborfreight.com/25-lbs-fine-grade-walnut-shell-blast-media-92155.html
25 lbs. Walnut Shell 24 Grit Fine Abrasive Media $22.99

I also looked at Petsmart but they are more expensive and don't mention the grit:
https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/substrate-and-bedding/all-living-things-ground-reptile-bedding-24571.html
All Living Things® Ground Reptile Bedding 25 dry Qt $27.99

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lincoln, MI
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tumbler-question-walnut-media-and and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.