(Topic ID: 123430)

Tumbler Media

By cooked71

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

Just got a tumbler and am using walnut as the media.

I was sent 2 different walnuts...a fine and medium grit.

The fine is like sand and the medium is 1mm-2mm grains.

What coarseness is the stuff you are using?

At the moment I'm using a 50/50 mix and the results are not so impressive.

Ive put in some Novus 3 as well. How much should I put in? Anything else I should add?

#2 9 years ago

And the medium grit stuff gets caught in the post holes/screw heads. Looks like Ill have to use a screwdriver to get it out. Any tips regarding this?

#3 9 years ago

Has anyone tried the stainless steel ballbearings and water that was recommended by the guy that sold me the tumbler?

#4 9 years ago

What brand of tumbler is it?

You need a dental pick or similar to remove the walnut. I don't bother with screws any more, too tedious.

The medium sounds right. Let it tumble for 48 hours.

I saw wet tumblers with ceramic media, would be very interested to know how they work.

#5 9 years ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:

What brand of tumbler is it?
    You need a dental pick or similar to remove the walnut. I don't bother with screws any more, too tedious.
    The medium sounds right. Let it tumble for 48 hours.
    I saw wet tumblers with ceramic media, would be very interested to know how they work.

Its a Thumler Ultravibe UV-18.

Do you rinse the parts in water after tumbling?

#6 9 years ago

You should have little difficulty in getting a great sheen on your metal parts using a tumbler, walnut shells (medium should be fine) and a good additive. I reckon Flitz Tumbler/Media additive available on Amazon is terrific. You need to remove any gunk/grease etc before putting in the tumbler.

#7 9 years ago

No rinse just a quick hand polish if necessary with rag. I don't tumble screws. I find it easier just to use a rotary wire brush.

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

Just got a tumbler ... and the results are not so impressive.

how long are you running it? as above .. 48 hours is a good guide..

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from wiredoug:

how long are you running it? as above .. 48 hours is a good guide..

Not 48 hours yet. I'll give it another day.....

#10 9 years ago

yeah needs 2-3 .. keep at it

#11 9 years ago

Flitz and medium grit walnut shells work great for me. 2-3 days depending on how bad the parts started.

1 week later
    #12 9 years ago

Changed the media to medium grit, and added some automotive metal polish and the results are fantastic! 24 hours is generally enough with the polish (after ultrasonic cleaning). I throw everything in it now.

The fine walnut formed a hard skin over everything which was near impossible to remove. Don't use it!

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

The fine walnut formed a hard skin over everything which was near impossible to remove. Don't use it!

That sounds odd. How much polish did you add?

#14 9 years ago

I have used aquarium gravel on some of my parts.....works well. I usually put them in when I go to bed and take them out in the morning. Roughly 7 or 8 hours. I put in some water and a small amount of dish soap. Does a decent job in much shorter time. Also cheap, can get at Walmart, etc...

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

That sounds odd. How much polish did you add?

Just a circle around the top of the walnut grit - 40ml/1.5oz I guess. Media was still dry.

The fine stuff was almost like powder and obviously mixed with the polish and caked on. Came off eventually once I change to the medium grit. Took about 3 days though.

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from Sonora70:

I have used aquarium gravel on some of my parts.....works well. I usually put them in when I go to bed and take them out in the morning. Roughly 7 or 8 hours. I put in some water and a small amount of dish soap. Does a decent job in much shorter time. Also cheap, can get at Walmart, etc...

Curious to try some of the medias that require water - stainless steel ballbearings, gravel, ceramic.

#17 9 years ago

Recently I had to switch to corn media because of my son having a tree nut allergy, I was planning on being disappointed in the results of polishing but holy cow I was wrong. My metal parts appeared to come out better than what I have achieved with walnut shells! I use Novus 2 as my additive.

Brian

#18 9 years ago

After you tumble you can put your screws in a 'baggie' and shake. That will remove quite a bit of the media out of the heads. I use to put all the washers on a pc. of wire(twist ends together)to keep them all together. I also used a magnet to search for the parts in the media. You can also sift. I used Flitz Polish and walnut media running for 24 hours at the most. If heavily rusted/dirty, as others mentioned cllean first. Ultrasonic cleaner works great for that. Enjoy the hobby.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tumbler-media and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.