• 73 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by swinks
  • Topic is favorited by 73 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Playfield Diverter Tile.gif
bally-pinball-drop-target-assy-n25_1_994d20481b2f1a383f30fe3861bc4b62 (resized).jpg
inline_drop_assy (resized).jpg
screen-capture-9 (resized).png
TT-PF-2018v23 (resized).png
TT-129.png
TT-128.png
TT-127.png
sticky-feet (resized).jpg
IMG_3918.jpg
DSCN1775 (resized).jpg
IMG_2359 (resized).PNG
IMG_3851.JPG
IMG_3722 copy (resized).jpg
IMG_3718 copy (resized).jpg
IMG_3720 copy (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swinks.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Well I have been wanting to do a custom pin for a very long time and procrastinated for a very long time but ever so slowly building up the design skills, reproducing parts in a 3d model space including the cabinet etc, making mods, reproduction parts etc (selfish plug to where you can find those) https://www.shapeways.com/search?q=swinks&sort=newest

I have been inspired by the other builds but pinballrockstar from the Minion pinball and a few others have been real encouraging and even though this theme might not be for everyone I am sure people might be able to offer some thoughts & help along the way and learn from my approach.
a good thread is the Minions Pinball
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/we-are-building-a-minions-pinball-updates-every-friday

Also no one has done a modern style Surfing Pinball with ramps so reckon it is overdue.

Some of you know that I have 2 dream theme pins - Surfing Pinball and Dukes of Hazzard Pinball (DoH). I jumped into the DoH a little too early (deep end) as have lots of ideas but the issue being the programming as have zero experience and would prolong the project alot and has already - so that one is being handbraked until I get this built which is way more achievable as it is going to be a simplier pin allowing me to build up some skills. Some of the game features in this one will be great experience for the DoH Pin.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dukes-of-hazzard-custom-pinball

Now for this game:
- it will be a simplier pin and a cross breed between a re-theme and custom pin - meaning I will be using the rules from an existing game and the playfield design will be custom.
- rules will be from Bally's Skateball as I will be using a full set of Altek boards and led displays and that means the programming is done as the game will be about going surfing and enjoying the experience and enjoying the surf session. I will be upgrading some mechs like the flipper mech to a 90's bally style to improve on some mechanical efficiencies but sure the slight drop in power may cause a challenge - see when I get there. I will also use a stern style sling mech.
- I tried to go for a fan layout with a difference
- once the game is running I can always then consider doing a proc / fast upgrade ??? if I feel the need but really keen in keeping this game as a shallow rule set but challenging to play - we will see how that goes.

Features
(will update with changes as we go along) currently it will have:
11 x drop targets
3 x additional switches linked to servo's via servo triggers to activate 3 additional mechs and will operate in a EM style way as no programming required. - more on these features later.
2 x slingshots at the bottom
1 x slingshot at the top to replace the pop bumper
4 x flippers
3 x roll over star inserts to replace the top in-lane switches
1 x swappable feature from a pop bumper to a 3 or 2 post horizontal spinner to add variety to the game play = means different playing experiences - this is the wave impact zone / a submerged rock ???
2 x reverse inlanes which is inspired by Bally's Fathom but with the Skateball style through gates.
1 x swappable bolt in centre post or a plate under the flippers to mix up the play
1 x direct feed ball launch to the bottom flipper (kook - a beginner surfer) or to the upper rhs flipper (pro surfer) via a switchable gate - still nutting this one out.
2 x ramps (one is the wave ramp) and other is a big move (aerial) or a back door move - gotta see how the wave and ramps turn out.

as for updates - will aim for weekly ones on a weekend either a Saturday or Sunday Aus Time and I intend to keep the modelling approach until I have the wave model down to ensure my shots are doable from a modelling perspective and then do a whitewood.

this is the skateball rule set to adopt into this game
Skateball Rules (resized).pngSkateball Rules (resized).png
Edit 27-5-17
a friend let me know ages ago and forgot to update in regards to 2 roll overs on the mid lhs above the upper left flipper.
The game starts out with the two rollovers unlit, and they score 100 points when rolled over.
Dropping all 5 of the S-K-A-T-E drop targets the first time lights the bottom of the two rollovers,
Dropping the S-K-A-T-E drop targets a second time lights the top rollover.
Once a rollover is lit, it scores 1,000 points when rolled over, and advances the bonus by 1,000.
Next ball resets the rollovers which are then unlit.

top side
screen-capture-26 (resized).pngscreen-capture-26 (resized).png

bottom side
screen-capture-27 (resized).pngscreen-capture-27 (resized).png

side view to show the room for a Tiki / HUEY model. Amongst surfers the fun saying is Huey is the surf god providing us with good waves. So Huey will be a Tiki style feature that the ball will travel via a wireform to and collect bonus and then feed to the inalne.
screen-capture-24 (resized).pngscreen-capture-24 (resized).png

general layout and features
screen-capture-23 (resized).pngscreen-capture-23 (resized).png

I am sure I will have a long and steep road to climb which will be all theory as I tinker at nights (time short with 2 young kids) and then do builds on weekends when I get to that stage. Please feel free to follow, pop in for a update, ask questions or offer constructive help along the way.

#2 6 years ago

Dedicated for the rules - will keep updated

Added over 7 years ago: 9-7-17 - I can't add an image here but the first draft of the rules is located on page 4 - post 179

#3 6 years ago

Dedicated for game names - will keep updated
Still haven't decided on a name and open to ideas
- Life's a Beach (LaB) - leaning towards this one
- Tube Time (TT)
- Surfing Waves In Nature's Kind Seas (Swinks )
Added over 7 years ago: Son of the Beach

Added over 7 years ago: Dedicated for game names - will keep updated
Still haven't decided on a final name and open to ideas
- Life's a Beach (LaB) - suggested by swinks
- Tube Time (TT) -
- Surfing Waves In Nature's Kind Seas (SWINKS for short ) - suggested by swinks
- Son of the Beach
- Surfing in the Waves - suggested by fifty

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballrockstar:

Ah yes!!
More custom pinball dude!
I am loving the shooter lane delivering straight to the flipper,bam!!
Let us know if you need something buddy

cheers Bas

Quoted from KozMckPinball:

What 3D CAD software are you using?

old version of solidworks and then view in eDrawings and slight improvement on render, good thing everything is 1 scale and can test fit things prior.

Quoted from zacaj:

Cool idea to use the existing code!
How is the 'activate Huey bonus collect' going to work? Doesn't skateball just always collect on the eject, no activation necessary?

I wanted to add a bit more of a challenge as the ramp from the wave will direct feed to the rhs flipper but when activating the switch it will divert to HUEY for bonus collect - just trying to mix it up a little.

Also I have a trashed but populated Skateball playfield so have all the drops as well as the ball mech under the apron and full harness from the playfield to the boards = saves me alot of effort so I can in theory concentrate on the design, build and challenging parts - art...

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

Dukes on the sideline.
But I like the surf idea too. Watching.

DoH will come back and still listening to Kibbe and Finnegan podcast and getting lots of ideas for it

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Ah, so you've still got an extra mech in there doing the diverting?

yes there will be a servo driven by a servo trigger board

#17 6 years ago

big day in the garage making room for some building so not alot done today, added some posts and rubbers to build the playfield up and put it into a cabinet to get a feel.

LaB-23 (resized).pngLaB-23 (resized).png

LaB-24 (resized).pngLaB-24 (resized).png

#19 6 years ago

dug up a old original image and contemplated doing a throwback design to honor the Skateball rule set with some cabinet art.

original bally art
Skateball Art (resized).jpgSkateball Art (resized).jpg

2 concepts but will most probably do something very different
LaB-3 (resized).pngLaB-3 (resized).png

and a small update as building up the playfield so I can work out the wave ramp - some SS ball guides and some plastics and 2 large holes
LaB-25 (resized).pngLaB-25 (resized).png

#23 6 years ago

Dude the retro cabinets are supercool.
Man you are smart with a computer

thanks man, just having some fun

Quoted from Frax:

"Son of the Beach"

have added to the list

Quoted from beatmaster:

i'll be watching, favorited.

thanks

#25 6 years ago

That is very cool @hassanchop, some really unique features - really nice work.

For this game I want it to be more of a free surf theme, where you are having the ultimate surf session.

#29 6 years ago

To be honest, I never looked at Seawitch but I do like a orbit shot both ways so was a must. Since I have 2 trashed Skateball playfields, one is populated I was just going to do a re-theme (art only) and then I really wanted a wave shot that is elevated so I kept swinging to a new layout. I have had a skateball pinball (sidewalk surfer) and liked the challenge of the outlane on the lhs so wanted to keep that. Fathom has them on both sides but doesn't have the one way side gates like skateball so added that to both sides.

The ball launch is unique and fast feeds to the flipper or will go straight up when a shot activates a change so this is the beach paddle out of the jump off the breakwall shot, the rest of the skateball targets & flippers had to fit on the playfield AFTER I put in the Wave Ramp shot in so it isn't influenced by any other game but took 30+ versions to get something I am happy with on the screen (might still play crap).

The other different shot is the exposed pop bumper which is the impact zone, washing machine zone, (waves break / closeout) but this will be swappable for a 2 or most definitely a 3 post with a rubber linking all the post that are on a spinner to add variety to game play with a swappable feature.

It won't be a single level as will have the wave ramp & sculpture (see below) as that is something I really want.

What is different is this a build to see how a custom game goes on a 80's boardset and rules - with the challenge of the game and the not so deep rule set. If it works it might be the first for others that are nervous about programming as then there will be a way around that. Once I have a playable game that is fun to shoot I will jump in to the programming world and possibly change the board set out.

below is my 3rd attempt of a 3d wave that will sit above the 5 x wave drops with a ramp going through the tube = "Tube Time". But I will add alot more detail with trial, error & experience and some sort of lighting effect when you pass through the tube. I originally wanted the wave to rotate / move but still trying to work that one out, if at all.

710x528_16337540_9569569_1478162954 (resized).png710x528_16337540_9569569_1478162954 (resized).png
screen-capture-18 (resized).pngscreen-capture-18 (resized).png
screen-capture-16 (resized).pngscreen-capture-16 (resized).png

#35 6 years ago

I increased the size of the wave a little and slid into place (floating - not mounted) just to start to get an idea of what to modify and factor in.

LaB-26 (resized).pngLaB-26 (resized).png
LaB-27 (resized).pngLaB-27 (resized).png
Lab-28 (resized).pngLab-28 (resized).png

then added a few holes and support posts for plastics and the wave toy etc as well as slots along the back for recessed led strips to edge light the acrylic back panel

LaB-29 (resized).pngLaB-29 (resized).png
LaB-26 (resized).pngLaB-26 (resized).png

LaB-30 (resized).pngLaB-30 (resized).png

#38 6 years ago

I intend to do a vertical 180 style to rhs of the wave as the "surfing aerial" shot. The wave will probably stretch out to the rhs more and more as a aid to visualise the ramps but not really have the ball on the wave at this point as then so unpredictable where it would travel. Though I had thought about different things to do in this area even it you don't have enough power and you then go down a hole (wipe out) and go via a subway some where???

starting to work on the ramp entry now which sets this shot up.

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Why not just use the wave from Waterworld and then put a spot to feed multiple habitrails ala Airborne?

was unaware of a wave in another game, will check it out out of interest.

edit - just checked it out and interesting idea and like the variation that is added with the rotating ship - for me I will probably have a vertical 180 ramp to the rhs of my wave / 5 bank of drops but then catch the wave and tube from the left to right as a ramp shot above the drops.

#42 6 years ago

just been working on the lhs ramp entry point and 1-2 plastics to aid in the look as well as what elements to design (wave hidden for the moment).

Lab-31 (resized).pngLab-31 (resized).png

Lab-32 (resized).pngLab-32 (resized).png

#44 6 years ago

oic, being all fancy like its going THROUGH the wave. very cool.

yes, riding the wave ("shooting the curl"), though what you said and told me about (Waterworld) has given me an idea on rotating a wireform on the wave to alter the destination of where it goes ????

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

I think you better make two of these
The world needs a new surfing related pin. Well I do any way.

you never know,

#51 6 years ago
Quoted from jasong78:

Here an idea , get a fast actuator like a scn5 or so and hinge the PLAYFIELD . Have modes where the PLAYFIELD changes angles like tsunami or every multiplayer makes the PLAYFIELD steeper

cool idea, but not really the direction I want to go, but thanks for chiming in.

#52 6 years ago

spent the last week at nights working on the ramp and the wave - is a tricky ramp and toy to blend together but have a concept and slowly nutting out the design.

So updates for the last week - ramp lead in tweaked as well as some plastics as needed them for a mental picture. There is a hole behind the wave drops that will be used to introduce a variable wave shot (hopefully) and possibly a wipeout drain subway hole ??? The wave and entry ramp has been a challenge but satisfying and for me the 3d model allows me to identify some of the problems. Again I know it isn't everyone's approach but when whitewood time comes it will be fun to see how it shoots and what changes are needed.

overhead view
LaB-34 (resized).pngLaB-34 (resized).png

the playfeild as a snapshot of it's progress
LaB-35 (resized).pngLaB-35 (resized).png

ramp lead in
LaB-36 (resized).pngLaB-36 (resized).png
LaB-37 (resized).pngLaB-37 (resized).png
LaB-38 (resized).pngLaB-38 (resized).png

#53 6 years ago

as for the wave that is a bit of a challenge but a satisfying learning curve as I want it to be the main feature / toy of the game. I decided to approach it differently than my original approach so started fresh and take the profile of the proposed plastic to know the boundary of the wave and to then stay within a particular envelope. I can then take measurements from the 3d model to determine alignment for ball exit off the wave entry ramp and so on.

the first view is the plastic outline and then a wave shape and then multiple that on multiple planes. Each profile will eventually step back and down to align with the entry ramp exit. The curl of the wave will roll over with the intention of the start of the wave to be a almost full tube - so for the moment ignore the blockie looking wave.
LaB-39 (resized).pngLaB-39 (resized).png

then using a cad function of "loft" I can join and blend each profile to create a solid wave which is very blockie and will change alot.
LaB-40 (resized).pngLaB-40 (resized).png

blockie wave in the playfield model to get a sense of placement, alignment and scale.
LaB-41 (resized).pngLaB-41 (resized).png

Mothers Day tomorrow so much will happen for the next 24hrs here..... Have a good one with your wives and mums - they deserve the time.

#55 6 years ago
Quoted from DDDwingmaster:

Nice cadwork Swinks. I like your shooter lane. It has a very interesting shape.

cheers mate

just trying something a little different and want to incorporate a ramp wireform to feed into this lane near the turn so it will become a fast feed to the flipper while being clean as it feeds higher into the inlane.

#56 6 years ago

just committed to the full new board set - a big step

#58 6 years ago
Quoted from jim5six:

Nothing like spending money to really motivate you!! Gives you that "OK, I'm really doing this" feeling. I think this looks like a great layout, keep up the great work!!
-Jim

you are totally right, have been sitting on this for a long time, feels great to say "lets go"

#60 6 years ago
Quoted from Star_Gazer:

Hey Swink, great work! while looking at your wave, i was thinking; how cool would i be if it could rotate! So it could be a "open" or a "closed" tube.

that was my original design desire but haven't solved that one yet.... currently designing a wave that depends on the power of the shot up there, with the ball hitting the wave and then track 1 or track 2.

#61 6 years ago

slightly sided tracked over the weekend finishing a mod I started ages ago - decal and acrylic plunger plates

P1150517 (resized).JPGP1150517 (resized).JPG
P1150518 (resized).JPGP1150518 (resized).JPG
P1150513 (resized).JPGP1150513 (resized).JPG
P1150516 (resized).JPGP1150516 (resized).JPG

#62 6 years ago

a little update for the last 1/2 a week:
- a little on the wave but having a little bit of thinking time there
- working on plastics
LaB-42 (resized).pngLaB-42 (resized).png

- targets
LaB-43 (resized).pngLaB-43 (resized).png
Lab-44 (resized).pngLab-44 (resized).png

- a ball limiting bracket for behind the flipper - I know this approach is different but the beauty is I can 3d print in plastic or even stainless and let light shine through as well
Lab-45 (resized).pngLab-45 (resized).png
Lab-46 (resized).pngLab-46 (resized).png
Lab-47 (resized).pngLab-47 (resized).png

#64 6 years ago

something like that.

my intention is a weak to mild hit to the lhs ramp will send the ball onto the wave at a low path and feed the rhs horse shoe lane to the flipper (will be a fast feed to the flipper) and a strong hit to the lhs ramp will "hopefully" send the ball higher up the wave and on to a different wireform which will then divert the ball to the lhs above the lower 3 drops where HUEY the surf god is for bonus collect and then feed to the lhs inlane to the lhs flipper.

The rhs ramp entrance will be a 180 ramp onto the wireform that goes to the HUEY bonus collect (lhs inlane feed) - like a big wave move, hitting the wave lip, perform an aerial - hopefully a sound callout will tell you what you did ????.

#65 6 years ago

since Skateball was recently played in the PAPA world titles, may as well post here as my custom game will use this rule set.

#67 6 years ago

I was asked about the wave tracks - low and high and I intend to be the entry to the wave to be a bowl and then a high and low track that the ball can feed on to - stronger the hit the better chance of getting on the higher track - like a double up wave.

double_up_352 (resized).jpgdouble_up_352 (resized).jpg

double up (resized).jpgdouble up (resized).jpg

#69 6 years ago

ignore the video on this clip - this will be one of the main sounds when you drain.

#70 6 years ago

another almost mid week (in Aus) update

Boards have arrived

The full Alltek Boardset (MPU, Solenoid, Lamp with test board) has landed.

P1150556 (resized).JPGP1150556 (resized).JPG

And I started on the WAV Trigger boards from Sparkfun today for the games sound effects. I will go into more detail in the near future producing a pdf document that people to download and learn how to use these in pinballs from a no experience approach. I know a few guys have used them and I got some details but with no experience I was still a little confused so from my experience others should be able to give this ago for game rethemes or custom added sounds / music.

Below is my little custom SWINKS test rig comprising or 2 WAV trigger boards (red boards) and a board fitted with 32 switches to simulate playfield switches. This test rig will help me dabble and experiment before the playfield is ready and to test out my theories. The boards come with no fittings so you will have to buy the headers, cut to size and solder into place.

Why did I go for these boards: here is why - they are cool.
- each board takes in 16 inputs (switches)
- each board takes whatever sized mini SD card
- the SD cad can hold up 1000 songs / sounds = 8hrs of audio on a 8gb card at 16-bit, 44.1kHz Stero CD Quality output
- you can blend and overlap 8 x songs / sounds. This allows a switch on the cabinet to scroll through songs to the one you like and then play the ball. Each switch can connect access a selection of sounds from 1 to 80 odd and with the basic software you can tell it to go to next, random, stop when another sound comes on or to blend. You can also control volume on each batch so music folder a little softer and the sound effects pop over the top of it.

So no bally sound board needed on this game as these WAV trigger bords will bring up the modern sounds and music. You can step up to connect this board to a audino level and allow more than 16 switches but I don't want to get that involved hence the use of 2 boards.

https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/wav-trigger-hookup-guide

P1150555 (resized).JPGP1150555 (resized).JPG
P1150552 (resized).JPGP1150552 (resized).JPG
P1150550 (resized).JPGP1150550 (resized).JPG

#77 6 years ago
Quoted from MarkInc:

speaking of waves...
would be cool if you could make an actual moving wave like this

I am not understanding this, sorry...

Quoted from hassanchop:

I was looking at your 3D rendering a little better, and noticed that the wave has backwash on it. It has a little wave in the front. That's bad in surfing, right? (rhetorical question :p )

you are right and it isn't the finished wave, at the moment the ridge is helping me visualise the trough which the ball will roll in.

you do get these types of waves (sort of) on reef breaks when the water sucks up just before a reef and the pit of a wave is lower than the water surface in front of it. Often the lip is as thick as the tube - can be dam scary. I had a surf session in the late 80's out at Shark Island and one of the scariest surfs ever and it was only 6ft tube and 6ft lip.

photo shows a reef suck

BowenTahiti11BBSR7_0333n_1314514227-copie (resized).jpgBowenTahiti11BBSR7_0333n_1314514227-copie (resized).jpg

#79 6 years ago
Quoted from hassanchop:

So you are saying your wave toy on the pin would be Teahupoo... Excellent choice!!
Biggest I got was a 6ft tube but with a thin lip at Hossegor, France. It's pretty scary yes, but nothing compares this scare to the scare of making a pin from scratch!

Cool, that would be a great experience and that is a solid wave as well, I could never surf Teahupoo but the wave fascinates me, Shark Island was scary enough at 6ft. My biggest has been about a solid 10ft many years ago now. I haven't surfed since I was dumped almost 2 years ago snapping my collar bone on a solid wipeout into a shallow sandbar and shoulder didn't heal well and high risk of breaking again as they chose not to operate (x-ray was about 6 months after the break - 1/4" gap at the thinnest gap).

RHS Clavical - 8 months after - measurements (resized).pngRHS Clavical - 8 months after - measurements (resized).png

Redhead Beach is my local about 5 minutes away - pretty sure the last beach in Australia with a Shark Tower still standing - but does not handle beyond a solid 5-6ft and then not rideable as it juts out and so exposed. We get whales passing by during winter within a few hundred metres.

Redhead (resized).jpgRedhead (resized).jpg

My other local is 5minutes away in the other direction - Blacksmiths Beach & Blacksmiths Channel which link to the lake. When all of Newcastle's waves are massive and closing they all head to Blackies and you can go for the paddle out or you jump off the breakwall (hence the reference to the ball shooter lane) and catch a wave from the centre of the channel and reforms at the end of the breakwall and if you make that you can potentially link up a second reform and land on the beach about 500 metres (1500ft) from where you started. This has been the longest waves I have ever caught. I took this photo from the end of the breakwall about 4-5 years ago. Only scary thing now is the rising amount of sharks visiting the lake (Lake Macquarie - largest salt water lake in Australia) due to local councils stopping commercial fishing so a feeding ground for the white pointers and bull sharks.

back to pinball designing.

I shortened (3/4") the shooter lane U turn (end of the breakway) to allow a better mech for the end of the breakwall to re-direct on launch to the top rhs flipper.

screen-capture-17 (resized).pngscreen-capture-17 (resized).png

Add a hole in the playfield and plastic to plan out the Huey Surf Idol which will be the bonus collect point in the game via a wire form from the wave ramp.

#82 6 years ago
Quoted from pocketscience:

And I should mention if you do need to get into software then give me a buzz... 20+ years professional software development behind me...

great to know:
goal one - is build and get it flipping with a skateball boardset and rules,
goal two (Dream) - is to go a proc / fast boardset and add a full set up custom rules and multiball etc. you never know at that stage maybe we could team up like the Buffy crew and your not far down the highway.

#86 6 years ago
Quoted from Nelly:

swinks It would be really cool if you could come up with a way for that wave to rotate into position (much like a wave would develop naturally). Not sure what all you have planned for it but you could have the shot award more points if you "catch" the wave when its in position. Just spit-balling here.

that is still the intention and was the plan from the beginning and hence why I have the big hole in the playfield under the wave for a motor etc - got to nut that one out.

appreciate everyone's input.

#88 6 years ago
Quoted from rufessor:

Moving wave would be cool. I think maybe I see this in the design- or perhaps I wish I did but it may be difficult.
Are you trying to design it such that the entry shot into the wave can take two paths through the wave? An upper path that dumps you to a different spot than the lower path? It seems like you could build a bob sled like ramp as the entry and hard shots would ride the side and enter the wave high and then could be subtly directed by shape into an upper exit whereas slow shots would stay low?
Anyhow- that might be hard but would be amazing if it worked. Rewarded for a perfect high speed entry and riding the wave- maybe even dumped if you ride it low?
Cool ideas- I love the design so far.

thanks for your comments and yes that's how I am picturing it and think I can a new concept in my head that might just work,

back to designing

#90 6 years ago

thanks kaboom has stirred some more thoughts, have come up with a similar idea with a 2 part wave, one is static and the top section is rotating and potentially roll around 60 degrees starting at a peaking wave and rolling through to a tube.

The idea is the static wave houses 2 bearings in each side and the rotating wave has a curved slot for the wave to roll on the bearings. This can be driven by a rotational motor.

Tube would direct the ball lower to the RHS flipper
Peaking wave would direct the ball higher to HUEY and then the LHS flipper

Maybe the game could be set for a switch activation to move the wave from one position to the next or it could continuous rotate back and forth adding the challenge for a timed shot.

LaB-50 (resized).pngLaB-50 (resized).png
LaB-51 (resized).pngLaB-51 (resized).png

#94 6 years ago

Maybe leave the bottom of the wave open so that if you dont hit it hard enough you fall out of the wave and the games says something like "WOAH WIPEOUT!"

that was my original plan if I had a stationary wave sort of like post #67 with a medium hit gives you the lower path and hard hit gets you the higher bath and if either one did not get to the crest and fulfill that shot it would roll back and go down a gobble hole and then spit out mid playfield

#95 6 years ago
Quoted from Star_Gazer:

Hey Swinks, i like it, but why so complicated? maybe you just could make a big mold with 2 lanes? hope you like my sketch!

WOW, I love your sketches !!!!! I would of give 10 likes if I could of

very very early days I had thought of something similar but nothing as cool a vision in my head compared to this visually but then deviated very quickly as I using the 4 flipper set up that skateball offers and wanted the orbit shot to be like the paddle out and not too easy to catch the wave.

I do agree on not making a design too complicated and a stationary design would be preferred and then relies on ball strength to get the perfect wave.

will have to have a good think now.... dam what a cool sketch.

#96 6 years ago

boy that visual helps alot and will consider some elements of that.
8c0046bbd8d7dda1c7bd9b742b9f3fe9a7c46bcd (resized).jpg8c0046bbd8d7dda1c7bd9b742b9f3fe9a7c46bcd (resized).jpg
- really want to keep the 4 flippers and my current planned layout as want some a little bit of a challenge to play
- love a 2 stage static wave but rely on ball hit strength to complete the 10/10 wave experience for that satisfying feeling
- maybe a shot off the top left flipper can lead to a backdoor crest / tube
- then top right flipper leads to the inner and more closed tube like wave

gotta have a good think on this one.....

#102 6 years ago

this is a blend between Star Gazer's idea and my original idea but just a fast concept design.

idea is the orbit shots still exist and there will be a diverter to aid in feeding into the drop target area and rhs top flipper. LHS ramp will feed the wave ramp (better than this concept) and then there will be a high and low trough in the wave to the right and the ball power will get a higher ride and more reward. The RHS ramp to the right of the 5 drops would be a 180 degree and land the ball onto the high trough.

this still needs a heap of work and a third trough would lead the ball to the horozontal spinner / or swappable to a pop bumper

LaB-53 (resized).pngLaB-53 (resized).png

#104 6 years ago

it's only going to have one pop bumper but even then this is swappable for a horizontal spinner (with options) - really want the game to have that variable experience.

the pop bumper / horizontal spinner will probably be a submerged rock thingy...

#108 6 years ago

that sculpture is super cool....

#109 6 years ago

have been playing with the wave and working out how to model a shape with one entry and 2 exits. As much as a mechanical toy that rotates would be cool I am still leaning to a static wave shot that has 2 possible exits and relies on playing skill.

I am going for a shot to the wave from the upper rhs flipper up the left ramp to the wave (still to be modeified and entry point cut out of the wave and if you connect a strong shot you ride the wave higher and collect the bonus, if the shot is weaker then you still get the fun of a wave but awarded standard points.

The wave still needs alot of tweaking but getting similar to Star Gazers concept but still keeping the orbit shot as a orbit and feed to the upper flippers with the aid of a switch activated diverter.

LaB-54 (resized).pngLaB-54 (resized).png
LaB-55 (resized).pngLaB-55 (resized).png
LaB-56 (resized).pngLaB-56 (resized).png
LaB-57 (resized).pngLaB-57 (resized).png

I need to make the wave wider on the lhs so not so egg shaped, and a more defined second ridge at the mid point. Later on will be the foam ball at the peak of the wave.

#117 6 years ago
Quoted from Star_Gazer:

Very cool shape! now wondering how the ball is entering the wave? Also thought of something like faking a movement of the wave by using a rotating lamp, remember this from a painting in a local chineese restaurant.

- on the render above your post there is 2 bits of metal poking through (at around 10 o'clock point) which I am yet to break through the wave shape - will do this soon once I get a wave shape that I like.
- we are on the same "wave" length with the lighting.

Quoted from Star_Gazer:

also..just a thought...maybe have the waves crossing in the middle, what are your thoughts of that mr Swinks.

- I am still not satisfied on my planned shot for the 180 ramp between the 5 bank and 3 bank of drops this might evolve into a different shot like you are suggesting.

Quoted from gmkalos:

I have to say I really like it when you had the wave curling/breaking over the top it's starting to look a little like a water park slide (another great theme) lol. The dual lanes are killer tho!

- the foam ball, breaking crest of the wave will be added very similar to how Star Gazer sketched it but more in the middle (peak crest) rather than the whole lot, and that is where I ideally I would like to hide the lighting.

Quoted from trunchbull:

Very cool! That looks like it would be a satisfying and entertaining shot - would the lower wave lead back to the upper flipper for a second try? I can imagine this would look pretty all lit up from the inside.

- I had always focused on running the 2 out points back to both lower flippers, but I actually am liking your suggestion as you are right it could drop the ball right near the flipper for a well aimed and power shot for the bonus collect higher wave ...... liking it

and a general thanks for the kind words and support, it does help and is motivating as even though it is my design, thoughts and ideas by others does contribute to a even better game. Don't be offended if I don't run with ever idea as there are still some unique elements to be added to the game and fill some voids.

#118 6 years ago

There is some true magic going on here,can you feel it?
Awesome

thanks mate, looking forward to your next build, love the custom pin threads as some very cool projects in action and completed.

#119 6 years ago

Other items progressing:
- I have been in touch with Third Coast Pinball who does wiring kits for 80's bally games and since this game will being running on the rules and boardset of 80's game. He can make up all the wiring (90-95%) for this game to suit the all new Alltek boardset. I know I could work this out and do it, but am time poor and impatient as really want to have a whitewood flipping this year.
- Another relatively local aussie pinhead has a machine shop and is happy to cut a whitewood once I am ready.
- I have all the inserts, mechs, most switches etc ready to go

biggest hurdle at the moment is the wave, as that is the main feature of the game and sets up ramps and other features that need to be designed in.

#123 6 years ago

K I S S Dude.
Stick with original plan for the wave at first, then start playing with all these excellent ideas in the future. You will just frustrate yourself.

yeah agree, hence sticking with the static wave as I can 3D print it, test, refine and really interested if the 2 wave exit works, if it does

#125 6 years ago

how cool, and dam you for playing it before me lol....

how does it feel overall....

#127 6 years ago
Quoted from PopBumperPete:

My 2c
I like the simplicity of the layout
I like the molded wave, it sets the game apart from others, agree keep it simple and not moving
I don't like the plunger shoot, no skill. if you use the molded ramp, I would also use a ramp like in white water and plunge the ball into the wave (if the wave can take the pounding)

thanks Pete for your thoughts

there is a target on the rhs above the right sling that will divert the ball on launch to the upper rhs flipper (jump off the breakwall / jetty) and the skill shot is launch and try and get the bonus collect on ball launch and upper right flipper hit so it will have a skill shot and the skill is trying to prep that diversion on the first ball to enjoy on the next few balls. I think the skill with launching to the lower flipper will be trying to tame the ball, like surfing choosing the best place to paddle out through the sets.

#130 6 years ago
Quoted from nikpinball:

Surfs up! Rad project. I attached one of the greatest surf instrumentals of all time for inspiration!
» YouTube video

cool music, never heard of them before and liked the intro and the cars / bikes at random times was different.

#132 6 years ago
Quoted from nikpinball:

Takeshi did a bunch of great surf music. The genre took off really well in japan in the 50's and 60's.

I will have to check them out, thanks

#133 6 years ago

I re-worked the ramp, got rid of the egg shape and has a nicer flow to it, but still more work to the exit, as well as cut out the entry for the lead in ramp and you can see where the stainless steel lead in ramp is poking through

the entry ramp needs to be shortened back at the curve to allow the ball to travel high or go in low on a weaker shot

LaB-59.pngLaB-59.png

LaB-60.pngLaB-60.png

#135 6 years ago

Got the wave ramp very close now - hopefully a hard hit will connect a high traveling ball to one wireform for bonus collect and low to medium hit will hopefully travel low to a lower wireform. Now just starting to work on the entry point of the SS ramp lead in.

LaB-61.pngLaB-61.png

#138 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Man, all this work and you just want to run Skateball? You should definitely jump right to the P-ROC. Open Pinball Project also has a Bally interface board that plugs right into the existing Bally harness points you might consider.

I don't think there is nothing wrong in this approach I think and was waiting for you to chime in, Skateball is a good game, all the rules are there, all the wiring will be there and it is more than a re-theme as totally new layout with new sounds and totally new art.

my main approach is to try something different with something existing (using a proven boardset with existing rules) and document & share so others can be influenced to have ago. Like myself, there are many others that are keen to do a custom pin and fearful of programming. At least for this project I don't have to worry about that yet and concentrate on designing, timber, plastic and metal work, wiring and art and leave out the programming which is probably 40-50% of the work (uneducated wild guess).

in edition I am going for a more of a simplier pin as discused in Aurich's thread "what do you need to make a simplier pin" as it will have displays for the scoring and rely on the art and place-cards to tell you what to do. Dmd's and lcd's are cool and would love to go that way not needed for this game as this is about catching the idea wave and getting a good wave count for a surf session built into a game.

In the end if I want more I can dive into p-roc, fast, Open Pinball Project whatever and on sell the existing boardset if I want. Apart from a little bit of money there is no loss for me and it is my experience that I am willing to share.

cheers

Jady

#139 6 years ago

tweaked the lead in ramp & wave enough to test out in the near future and now happy to move on with other parts of the game

LaB-62.pngLaB-62.png

#143 6 years ago

Yes to draw all these parts takes alot of hours but I intend to be getting into this more in the future and the library of parts is then extremely helpful for future designs and this is how Stern designs games

actually Solidworks is pretty good and I just taught myself. My background was on the tools building light aircraft then cnc machinery for a total of 17 years and lastly custom fit-out of high end motorhomes 3 years then pulled my finger out and did mechanical engineering studies and been into project & asset management since so designing is a way for me to stay in touch with designing skills. I used autocad and similar in the first 2 jobs but nothing 3d. It's only that when I got into pinball a few years ago did I get into 3d design and find it valuable as I can fine tune my designs, test assemblies etc before I make a thing and in the engineering world is the standard approach. I am yet to put my design into a physical test but confident that somethings will be right from the get go and some won't - half the fun and part of the learning.

For me time is my challenge and since having young kids I don't get alot of shed time at the moment so designing in 3d at night suits my time allowances.

I was in a different job about 18months ago and was using the Autocad version of a 3d package - Inventor and did NOT find it as friendly at all, Autocad 2d is a horrible package compared to Solidworks and these guys were the originals in 3d drawing software and made it very approachable.

As for designing parts, it is really a matter of your approach:
machinist approach - start with a stock piece of material (say a cube) and then remove sections as if you were machining parts away.
building approach - adding materials / shapes to a existing shape and build it up

I tend to use both styles and it doesn't matter.

eg for a builders approach if we wanted to draw up a post in a game that the rubber sleeves slide over:
- select view - I would go for a top view
- sketch 1 - draw a circle, and then enter the diameter the same as the threaded bolt, then tick to finish
- feature 1 - select the circle and then a heap of 3d options are shown - select extrude and type in the distance, then tick finish
- sketch 2 - select sketch function and it will ask for a face in which you select and this is for the flange that sits on top of the playfield and then draw a circle and type in the required diameter and repeat a few times

with experience and practice the post might take a couple of minutes and the rubber sleeve is really simple and be 1 minute. Some other parts can take hours but apart from time it doesn't cost you anything in materials, manufacturing, contract costs to test and simulate.

Also if you want to get into 3d printing you need to learn 3d design to then create a STL file to then 3d print.

#145 6 years ago

computers and their programs take practise, I can draw pictures but feel dumb as well when code is brought into the subject.

enjoy the waves mate, nothing beats that feeling when you get a great wave on a beautiful day.

#147 6 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

I don't know how you find time to work on these things with kids!!

during the week, about a 1hr to 1 1/2hrs after the kids are in bed and wife watching crappy tv shows

#148 6 years ago

just a small little update, something for testing the whitewood, but it might stay for the finished game.

some games need a centre post so I decided to make the centre post optional with a slight redesign. A recess in the playfield can be filled with a custom plug insert (post) or a custom rubber bump post - good for a drain monster if I have bad design luck or a add-on for when the kids want to play...

with
LaB-63 (resized).pngLaB-63 (resized).png

without
LaB-64 (resized).pngLaB-64 (resized).png

#150 6 years ago

or a wipeout ....

#152 6 years ago

I have tweaked the wave to be narrow on the lhs which I think has improved the look in balance and to allow a functional toy (so to speak and still yet to be refined) in the back lhs corner - which has been something I have wanted to do in a long long time.

1. What is the toy?

2. What is the function?

Hint for 2. - I don't think it has ever been done before but every game has one.......

LaB-65 (resized).pngLaB-65 (resized).png
LaB-66 (resized).pngLaB-66 (resized).png

#154 6 years ago

yes it is, something a little different and you can get a visual on how much you can tilt the game, using a few custom parts and a 6mm rod end bearing.

LaB-67 (resized).pngLaB-67 (resized).png

#156 6 years ago
Quoted from markp99:

Lamp on top for visual effect? White, changing to RED on tilt would be cool.

Yes that's the plan, soft glowing white or yellow then red flash

#160 6 years ago

thanks guys,

been wanting to do it for ages as it really fits the game theme, if others want to use the idea that is fine as would be cool to think they got the idea from here.

I know there will be a difference in mechanical advantage - with my tilt mech potential having a slight disadvantage for cabinet side movements but very effect in front to back movements, but it will be adjustable top side for sensitivity from really tight to very loose and with the reverse outlanes I expect nudging.

Ideally I would love the buoy to have 3 stage lighting:
white light - general GI effect
yellow light - some general movement and getting close to a tilt
red light - TILT

#162 6 years ago

decided to change the buoy to have a centre light up post and then started working on a wireform (not finished yet) from the lower wave that feeds it back to the top right flipper for a re-feed to have a better shot at the bigger wave - for collect bonus.

LaB-68 (resized).pngLaB-68 (resized).png

LaB-69 (resized).pngLaB-69 (resized).png

#164 6 years ago

So are you going to make that flipper weaker at some points in the game with software to make it so you can only get the lower wave? Would that even work?
Like, hit all the stand ups to get the flipper to be full power or something would be cool too.

Nice idea but to start with it will be just using the initial flipper power with the existing set of rules. If I ever re-program there would be some varied things I would add in but that is way in the distance at this point.

I am hoping that it comes down to timing with the wave ramp if you time it poorly the shot will only just make around and if a well timed shot leads to the collect bonus tiki / huey

#166 6 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

Awesome, elegant design all the way.
Do you plan on integrating wood in the playfield visuals?

I am wanting to and most probably in those 4 different surfboards as those boards will be art and not lit inserts like a few people have asked about. Eventually each board will vary in shape to link better to boards that typically are a twin, tri, quad and penta fin boards. Each with a timber look stringer as well as most probably one board in a timber grain. And probably leave a swirly trail of timber grain amongst a colourful art package.

#168 6 years ago

Oh Dude you have to include these, I have quite a few and they are firkin AWESOME!
http://www.tubed.com.au

they are very cool but dam pricey especially the set

#170 6 years ago

thanks very much for the kind offer mate, but you keep it and save it for your game

#171 6 years ago

Have had a few things going on at work so haven't made alot of progress but the planned wireform from the lower wave was fouling with the plastic and was not totally happy with the top inner layout.

I ended up moving the 5 bank targets over to the left and angle a bit more and relocate the switch that was going to be below the rhs 3 bank targets up under the wave as this is the "duck dive" target.

Tweaked the wave a little more and with the 5 bank moved as well as the duck dive target I also moved the 3 bank target a little and this allowed for a wipeout diverter to drop the ball to the spinner / pop bumper and hopefully to the upper right flipper. This diverter will be tweaked but at the moment gives me a concept to drop the ball - still not 100% happy but it is a start.

What is the "Duck Dive" Target and "Rip" Target
The Duck Dive target once hit will activate an up post under the wave that will stop a orbit shot and bump it into the impact zone if going from the left to right. Alternative if you shoot up to the rhs orbit it will hit the diverter and roll back down so you can connect with the rhs upper flipper to shoot the wave ramp. So the duck dive target hopefully will play a bit of strategy in game play.
The Rip target under the upper lhs flipper will drop the up post and allow full orbit shots in both directions.

For those not surfers -
Duck Diving is paddling out the back and pushing the board underwater to go under the wave.
A Rip is the movement of water that you can use to get you out the back easier though can also add a challenge when surfing or staying in the right place.

LaB-70 (resized).pngLaB-70 (resized).png
LaB-71 (resized).pngLaB-71 (resized).png
LaB-72 (resized).pngLaB-72 (resized).png
LaB-73 (resized).pngLaB-73 (resized).png

#174 6 years ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

Very cool Swinks

cheers man

Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

Don't forget to add a little "Babe Watch" (Baywatch flavor)

since this is based on Skateballs rules I have considered incorporating details similar to the girl and guy that are on either side of the bonus buildup that are on skatebaords but on surfboards on the wave obviously not wearing shoes.

Skateball-repainting07 (resized).jpgSkateball-repainting07 (resized).jpg

#177 6 years ago

lol..... those shoes would spear holes in boards

2 weeks later
#178 6 years ago

internet is finally back on, down due to fibre upgrades in the area.

I have made some changes to the layout
- removed one set of drop targets as in Skateball they are used as they are dangerous shots and in this game were sort of trying to fit them in but have decided to leave them out for the moment, though still toying with a sub playfield????
- tweaked the location of the other 3 bank and 5 bank targets
- due to the 2 banks of drop targets being close the 5 bank drops might have to have the related inserts in a custom angled cover above the drops.
- changed the duck dive target next to the 5 bank drops
- added a spinner to the lhs
- tweaked the wipeout wireform from the lower exit of the wave ramp
- added a sketch line of the desired wireform to be a fast feed to the lower rhs flipper
- added the saucer to the lower / mid left hand side with a surf god above it with Huey spelled down the in lane to guide progress to larger bonus points to collect. The god at the moment is a Moai from Easter Island but will have to hire someone to design me a custom one.

LaB-74 (resized).pngLaB-74 (resized).png
LaB-75 (resized).pngLaB-75 (resized).png
LaB-76 (resized).pngLaB-76 (resized).png
LaB-77 (resized).pngLaB-77 (resized).png

#179 6 years ago

9-7-17 - here is a rough draft rule set blueprint, though after doing it I am going to relocate the spinner to the wave ramp so it is encouraging to ride the wave for bigger point accumulation. The lettering is just a rough draft - this will be fine turned when the times comes.

LaB Apron Magnet.pngLaB Apron Magnet.png

#181 6 years ago

The apron will get addition art, but would like to keep the full rules on there as it tells the player everything to do and they just decide on there strategy, that's the theory anyway.

#183 6 years ago

Really like the right part of the apron,a newbie can easily locate the shots,smart!
Are we getting faster updates now you have fibre?
That stuff is lightning fast!

I wish I could draw and build "fibre" speed,

but if anything - interest is dropping here, and might improve once I start building something so might not post as often or only when there is something meaty to show, people only want to see so many models.

#189 6 years ago

cheers guys, I know the theme is probably for the select few so I figured people weren't interested.... I will still post and like the log idea is good, good as a historical development log as well.

Quoted from toyotaboy:

Swinks: When do you think you'll start making a whitewood? I don't remember if you mentioned, but what hardware will you be driving it with?

I am hoping this side of Christmas for sure and a fellow pin head in Aus as offered to cnc it for me so I just need to fine tune a few more mechs and the swappable pop bumper and spinner and trying to work out a way to lock a ball for a multiball feature and can get the files off to him.

as for hardware I am hoping and no reason why it isn't possible is to run it using an alltek boardset with skateball rules. I have all the boards and all the 90's bally mechs, playfield hinges etc, all the skateball harnesses from the playfield to the boards as well as the power supply etc. Shawn from Third Coast Pinball is currently making me the custom remaining harnesses for the displays to the boardset, cabinet and between the boards - so alot of the backbones is in progress.

Art won't start until it is playable but have a style that I want to go with but that is in the vault, but might work on a draft trans in 2017 as this will then setup the playfield and cabinet.

gotta go to work, but thanks for the boost.

#194 6 years ago
Quoted from lachied:

I'm a lurker. Mwahaha.
Nice that you can get it cnc'd. Where are they located? I've gotten prices for getting mine done locally and they are around $600 or so for a few places in Melbourne metro.

A mate in NSW has offered to help out. I was going to buy a X-Carve and still probably will but his kind offer to help out will enable me to get a proto up and running faster. It's a bit of a learning curve for him as a little different from hie regular line of work.

I am kicking myself now as I use to have a cnc in the garage but sold it about 6 years ago to make room for pinballs, arrrrh....

thanks everyone (lurkers included) for chiming in as has given me a boost to keep sharing the level of progress updates, as I was just thinking I was boring the crap out of people.

#196 6 years ago

once I drew in the drop target assembly underneath I realised that the mechs were inferring with each other so I tweaked some more.

I still wasn't happy with some of the flow and shot opportunities so removed the slingshot that was to the right of the ramp entry point and the large amount empty space under the wave ramp - so now have a inner loop shot that feeds the ball back around to the upper right flipper on a powerful shot or on a weaker shot behind the 3 bank drop for a planned servo driven ball lock for hopefully a working multiball - "Dropin Multiball" or "Share Wave Multiball" even though Skateball doesn't have a multiball.

Lab-78 (resized).pngLab-78 (resized).png

#198 6 years ago

PARTY WAVE MULTIBALL you mean

that sounds better, DONE.

over hear when growing up we called it a share wave though have heard the party wave quote

#199 6 years ago

Just thought to switch for a night and playing around with fonts, curves etc. I was originally going to call it Life's a Beach but now leaning to the name "Tube Time". This is just a concept to let the juices flow but open to tweak suggestions. I do visualise the logo to have those wavey curves with probably a green blue, blue and dark blue colouring with a black backdrop and white highlight lines.

screen-capture (resized).pngscreen-capture (resized).png

#203 6 years ago

There is already a animation movie - "Surf's Up", and the saying "Life's a Beach" has been around for a long time so "Tube Time" is really becoming my pick at the moment.

Here is pinside's "surf" games

screen-capture (resized).pngscreen-capture (resized).png

#206 6 years ago

YYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWW!!!!!!!

that is very cool, I checked out ebay and not a cheap mag. Do you know how many pages it is?

#207 6 years ago

the design is getting more and more refined to the point that the game hopefully has some variety in the shots.

now with:
- a inner orbit around the back of the 5 bank drops that will feed to the upper right flipper, except when the "Party Wave" shot is open and then this inner orbit will feed to the impact zone and possibly the upper left flipper.
- when the "Party Wave" shot is opened (guide section that will pivot) allowing the ball to feed into a vuk that will feed into a wireform lock up and over the wave ramp for the "Party Wave Multiball". To release the Party Wave Multiball you will have to shoot the high wave to wireform shot to release the second ball on to the wireform to the lower right flipper. This will be a steal feature in a multiplayer game play.
- added arrow inserts for hopefully when and if the game can get custom rules etc
- the 3 rectangular inserts will also be for one day when the game can get custom rules - Perfect Day Bonus, Reform Combo and with the exception - "Party Wave Multiball" for current way or custom ruled game.

LaB-79.pngLaB-79.png
LaB-80.pngLaB-80.png
LaB-81.pngLaB-81.png
LaB-82.pngLaB-82.png
LaB-83.pngLaB-83.png
LaB-84.pngLaB-84.png

#211 6 years ago

thanks Kevin for your thoughts / ideas.

with the buoy the colour can be easy changed but the left side of the game is going to have a few land features, and I too have to look into that a bit more.

as for the ramp, if it is just one ramp would be 3d printed and then probably fibreglassed or maybe vacuum formed - really don't know at this stage, but either way something is doable. Plan 3d printed initially to test if the design and shape actually works... lol

what is a link to your game that you are working on?

#213 6 years ago

glad you found the thread - the more the merrier,

and thanks for your thoughts and will add the name suggestion was leaning that way as well originally but will add to the list to possibly do a poll at a later date.

#214 6 years ago

a little electrical update.

Pinsider Mk1Mod0 over at Third Coast Pinball is doing a sweeeeet job on the custom wiring harness for this game.

Since the game will initially be running off a full set of new Alltek boards and an existing Skateball Harness, I just needed a custom harness to fill in the gaps as I did not have anything to copy and this is his area:
- leads between the boards
- leads from the boards to the displays
- leads down into the cabinet for a 90's Bally coin door, start as well as fully working coin mechs etc.
- leads between the power supply to various places as well as a extra power outlet inside
- there are 2 x 12vdc plugs which are for the 2 x WAV Trigger boards for the games sound effects

Super stoked and Mk1Mod0 is the man for Bally 80's style harnesses

LaB-85 (resized).jpgLaB-85 (resized).jpg

LaB-86 (resized).jpgLaB-86 (resized).jpg

#219 6 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

Keep up the good work!
Also, I'm sure there are some great sign painters in Australia, I think a hand painted cab would be badass and would fit the theme. I know one of the best in the world here in Quebec, if you like I can ask him if he knows anybody out there.

cheers and thanks for the offer, agreed a good signwriter has great style but I already have a vision of the direction which will be revealed later when that process starts ....

but I really appreciate the thoughts and input

#220 6 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

As far as the name of the game is concerned, you could always bring up a list of well known surfing spots around the globe and do a play on one of their names. Surf spots always have great names, too. Some of the names of places I've surfed over the years are Pleasure Point, It's, Cowell's, 38th, The Cove, Privates, and the list goes on. Strange names for very specific places that all have a reputation are all well known by the locals to those areas.

I had considered famous / iconic places based on the actual location but not their surf names which is a cool idea, and if the game ever evolves into a game running on a set of fast or proc boardsets with a full set of custom rules the addition of some inserts with cool surf break names would be a cool addition to the game. But at the moment I want to go down the generic game name so players who are surfers can associate with a break they like surfing. I did try to have a game with a left and a right in it to better lend to any break around the world but was a little more of a challenge so this game is a left hander.

Aha! Your first of a group amigos!! mk1mod0!!
Seriously great you have an expert for the wiring,you don't want to fry those pretty Alltek boards...

yes, I am so glad to find mk1mod0 even though on the other side of the world so not quite like what you guys have - would love a weekly crew meet and build session.

In those photos that was his game with original boards but with what will be my new harness. here is a picture of my boards stashed in the shed ready.....

screen-capture-1 (resized).pngscreen-capture-1 (resized).png

#222 6 years ago

for the guys that like some of the little details

This is on the right side where the 3 bank drops are, with a wireform for the wipeout side of the wave ramp that will be height adjustable via a locking block that will be underneath. The plastics will be a 2 part plastic with the one over the drops having art, and the other one will get interaction with the ball in the drop down area so will be clear and replaceable. The playfield plug will be stainless to take drops from the ball but allows me to integrate a rollover switch in the plug for feature trigger.

LaB-88 (resized).pngLaB-88 (resized).png

#225 6 years ago

If I eventually step up from the Skateball rules & Alltek boardset to custom rules and appropriate boardset one day I really would like the game to be around having the ultimate surf at a surfers dream location and once you achieve then you get to choose another location. Each location would have a different set of goals (targets / shots) to hit to setup for the ultimate surf and then you ride the wave (ramp) with the setup in place to be awarded the ultimate wave.

But for the moment it will be situated in a dreamy location and let the imagination of the player pretend they were there.

#227 6 years ago

not a big update but still showing the progress of the next wireform, and also changed the detail of 3 x inserts near the bottom of the shot showing roller over switch inserts

LaB-89 (resized).pngLaB-89 (resized).png

#229 6 years ago

Love how that wave evolved into this.
Geometry looks to be spot on

thanks, but still gotta make it, but I am enjoying the design process and learning alot as I go.

#232 6 years ago

cheers guys - it has evolved and hoping that the intention of variance of ball flow takes a little more to master the game and wave ramp as well as satisfying to catch the wave

current progress shot
getting there (resized).pnggetting there (resized).png

the wave will still get the foam look added to the top of the wave like Star Gazer's concept - this image has been so inspiring for me - thanks @Star Gazer ...
Star-Gazer's concept (resized).jpgStar-Gazer's concept (resized).jpg

and another form of inspiration has been my well used surf music surf wave cookie jar for the last 15 years, as well as the beach, surf mags etc
IMG_2775 (resized).JPGIMG_2775 (resized).JPG
IMG_2776 (resized).JPGIMG_2776 (resized).JPG

#234 6 years ago

I still am in the midst of adding the next layer / step up of wireform rails / guides as well as a 3rd on the higher side of the wave.

In addition the party wave wireform will direct balls on to this wireform as well - so still more to be done...

#236 6 years ago
Quoted from ChrisS:

I really love the look of the wave at the back of the pin. Here is my only comment on it. I'm really bad at pinball so I would be bummed that the only way to get the wave shot is off the third flipper. It's challenging for sure which is also good. I'm excited to see how it all comes together.
chris

I am not the greatest player myself but want a game to represent the challenge of surfing into pinball, so yes that will be a little bit of a challenge but there are a few chances designed to give the player a second chance shot, hopefully :

- when the breakers target (was the duck target) is activated it allows the shot for party wave multiball from the upper left flipper but also the rhs orbit shot is now blocked so if the player shoots the ball up the rhs orbit it will stop dead and suspect a small bounce a little back down to the upper rhs flipper - hoping for a setup shot for the wave ramp
- next is with the orbits open apart from the shot to lhs orbit to the rhs flipper will probably be fast the other option is the inner orbit shot from both rhs flippers around the 5 bank targets which will feed the outer orbit to the upper flipper to the wave ramp
- last is when you get a weak shot to the wave ramp it will drop out via the wipeout zone wireform and drop down to the upper right flipper to hopefully get a better ride on the wave.

#237 6 years ago

here are a few more shots of the wireform starting to shape up

the wireform with a ball on it to show sizing
LaB-90 (resized).pngLaB-90 (resized).png

full playfield shot
LaB-91 (resized).pngLaB-91 (resized).png

zoom up of the wireform
LaB-92 (resized).pngLaB-92 (resized).png

above view, in which you can see the wireform is not blocking the view of the flipper, and a drain from the wipeout wave ramp will feed the upper right flipper
LaB-93 (resized).pngLaB-93 (resized).png

#239 6 years ago

It's not pinball but is surfing and as far as I know a new gadget - "The Dock".

No Dock's in Tube Time

#240 6 years ago

Wiring Harness Update - just heard that my harness is finished and will be departing in the next day or 2.

So will soon have all the:
- wiring (cabinet and playfield) - 50% + 50% when the cabinet wiring arrives
- alltek game boards - 100%
- sound boards - %90
- program (Skateball) - 100%
- almost all the standard parts for cabinet / playfield - %90

what to do for version 1
- finish the playfield design for routing - 70%
- finish the playfield accessories to then make - 50%
- design the cabinet for routing - 90%
- build a cabinet - 0%
- do the art package once happy with the game play - 0%

#242 6 years ago

Time to roll up those sleeves buddy

Getting closer....

#244 6 years ago

True, but that would be a good game 2, robbery, actions sports, cars....

2 weeks later
#247 6 years ago

small update on the wireform ramp from the wave ramp feeding the inlane, still have some mount backets to playfield to go and one more wireform support bracket to design near the exit point.

will also have a spinner that will be 100 points per spin when not lit and 1000 points when lit

LaB-94 (resized).pngLaB-94 (resized).png

here is a rough player perspective shot

LaB-95 (resized).pngLaB-95 (resized).png

#249 6 years ago

Awesome,great unusual spot for that spinner!

yeah, I have had the idea for a while but spooky were the first that I know of to put it in a game - Domino's I think.

If you get a good power shot it will spin the spinner alot and get some good points, one change from this is a maybe redesigning the stock spinner bracket so the bracket supports the spinner from under the wireform and going up on both sites to reduce the visual blockage a little ???

#252 6 years ago

Hmm yeah,that is an idea...make it a bit more custom,those are great details.
Instead of slapping on a stock spinner.
You could also consider a plastic around the spinner,with artwork.(super visual blockage though)..
It could say something or have a certain form that fits the theme?
Don't know what the plastic should represent in order to integrate in the surf theme..
All i can think of is a cropped surf board with a spinner in it.
Our waves suck in the Netherlands,we don't surf...we dig holes in the beach and then sit in them..
So not that much experience with surf items..
You only use a surf board while surfing right?
Maybe the spinner could be a supercool tiki statue?
Hawai--> surf-->tiki ?
His mouth being the spinner(decal on spinner so the statue looks complete when in default position?
Hm..i am blabbing into you..
You probably feel best what your design needs

cool ideas and I am now going to do a redesign of the spinner so the bracket will come underneath the wire form which will then allow me to move it around a little more so not to visually block the upper right flipper as that is important to me - might try for higher up and would love a full tube wave - more spins the longer the tube ride.

I had intended to use laser cut brackets that the wireform rods will slide into also couple as a mount for a plastic to show addition wave curl to give the player the sensation that the wave is still continuing onto the wireform - so the 2 combined could be cool.

thanks for the idea...

LaB-96.pngLaB-96.png

#253 6 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Im thoroughly enjoying the evolution of the waves, although some early ones seem to have more play variety.
Am I seeing this correctly Jady, that the ramps feed only from the one, upper right shot, with 2 possible outcomes?
Is there a second shot to achieve?
Im hung up on the randomness and wave action...especially during multiball...looks so cool, especially if one can ride the curl, in
a physical way, or start and the ball could physically, "wipe out" on the wave....
Awesome Awesome work Jady!

Thanks Art

Ideally I would of loved to have a left and right hander wave or one that mechancial constantly moved in and out but I chose to go with ramp flow variation which I could be wrong but haven't seen a ramp that allows that - meaning catching the tube via the higher wave as it needs a better flowing and more powerful shot where a weak shot will drop the ball into the impact zone - so yes 2 possible outcomes.

The idea is if it drops down into the wipeout zone it might hit the circle thing or drop to the upper right flipper to give the player a second go at the tube wave as hoping in theory the ball will not have alot of speed.

The ramp is not shootable from the lower flippers as was going for a 80's SS type game down there - and in theory the playfield is a story of the progress of standing on the shore (lower flippers), selecting a earning a particular surfboard and then heading out into the water to catch waves which is the purpose of the upper flippers - so like a story of features using the mechs etc.

A little to the right of the ramp entry is a mini orbit (which is shot from the lower and upper rhs flippers) that will feed the ball back behind the 5 bank drops to the upper rhs flipper or a weak shot will direct the ball to the targets area on the rhs. A shot between the target banks will feed into a vuk (once I design it in) when a gate is opened (under the wave) which will then feed a upper wireform that will rise up and over the wave and this will be the "Party Wave" multiball - in which this will be a physical ball lock that will be stealable if playing more than 1 player. When the vuk gate is open if you shoot the outer orbit on the rhs it will stop dead and roll back down allowing the player to shoot the wave ramp. So hoping for a bit of a strategy on how to play depending on the skill or how you like to play.

Now the circle thing - this will be a feature that the owner can swap out 1 of 3 different mechs, each with a different set of game play rebound effects.
Mech 1 - 2 post spinner with a rubber between them which will be a shark fin horizontal spinner - acts as a game hazard and a point counter.
Mech 2 - 3 post triangle spinner with a rubber between then which will be the submerged rock in the impact zone - acts as a game hazard and a point counter.
Mech 3 - will be the impact zone pop bumper - also acting as a hazard as well as a point counter.

Lastly apart from scores on 80's led pinscore displays there will be another score display somewhere near the rhs wireform that will count the waves caught in a game and in attract mode will flash the highest amount of waves ever caught in a game like a high score.

sorry for the essay

LaB-97.pngLaB-97.png

1 week later
#256 6 years ago

haven't been 100% happy with the top rhs corner and finally come up with a concept to include 2 controlled drop targets to will stop or allow orbit shots and shots to the "party wave multiple vuk" which will be a wireform over the wave and drop to the current wireform.

just need to work out the:
- wire form mounts
- 2 x spinners / pop bumper designs for the large hole mid rhs
- tweak the slings for the Stern slingshot bracket design
- auto ball launch mounting
- huey kickout mech
- gi holes
and then I should be close to cutting a whitewood

LaB-98.pngLaB-98.png

#260 6 years ago

Thanks for chiming in and the support guys

Hurry up and start building already as I am starting to get really stoked on this concept and want it to come to fruition for you/us!

Good things come to those that wait lol...

Quoted from Fifty:

Yeah, I agree. I'm pretty excited for this game. I would really like to see some cutting action happening.

Hoping for some cutting action before Christmas

Quoted from Tsskinne:

All caught up and looking good man!

Thanks mate

#262 6 years ago

no worries rufessor, hopefully this makes sense:

- I haven't seen a shooter lane like the design I am using but that's not to say there might be a game with a similar one and interested if any one has (please share)
- when the ball comes down to the flippers it should jump the drain gap and continue to the flippers no problems as the outer ball guide sits about 8mm higher than the guide to the flipper. The drain gap is very similar to Skateball and Fathom.
- there will be an option of 2 horizontal spinners on the playfield - a 2 post and 3 post (impact zone) as well as a option for pop bumper as well - so if a player gets bored they can mix it up a little.
- there will be another vertical spinner on the wireform coming off the wave ramp - effectively a raised traditional spinner of sorts.
- the orbit drop is on the upper rhs side and when down allows for orbit shots or when up blocks left to right orbits and directs the ball to the drop banks or when hit from the right to left it hits the drop and the drop targets drops but more importantly lets the ball drop down so you can hit the ball to the wave ramp - so like a set up shot.
- the party wave drop allows access to the vuk wireform for a locked ball multiball.
- lastly 3 rollover inserts that replace the top inlanes which when collecting all three increase your multiplier but each one in a bit of a rebound / risk shot.

as for sawdust and dirt, I am looking forward to it but I am time poor with a young family and enjoy designing so unlike the Dutch crew I plod along and design and then the playfield will be routed and make a cabinet so it will happen once I am ready but really hoping for a Christmas time timber work session all going well.

LaB-99 (resized).pngLaB-99 (resized).png

#263 6 years ago

forgot to add, features tally at the moment will be:
4 x flippers
10 x drop targets
2 x regular targets
3 x rollover inserts
1 x vuk ball lock (multiball) wireform
1 x ball collect bonus saucer
optional - 1 x 2 post spinner OR 1 x 3 post spinner OR 1 x pop bumper
1 x wave ramp with 2 outcomes
1 x spinner on the wireform

#265 6 years ago

Tube Time playfield build in cyber space (click on it to open and see better detail)

Tube Time Build.gifTube Time Build.gif

#271 6 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

swinks exactly how much plastic is needed for those two massive plastics on the top left and top right corners? Those have to be the biggest plastics ever on a pinball machine.

Do you mean the left & right flat corners?

If so these are roughly 200mm (8") in each direction. There will be more features stacked up on to the plastics but there are joins in those areas especially on the rhs so it doesn't have the biggest plastic ever. The image below better shows the plastics in the corners removed.

I have been asked in the past "why don't have the orbit guides closer to the corners?" and now it is easier to show that on the left in the tilt bob buoy and on the rhs is a vuk to a extra wireform "still to come", as there was always plans for a 180 deg ramp or a vuk / wireform.

LaB-101 (resized).pngLaB-101 (resized).png

1 week later
#272 6 years ago

didn't get as far as I wanted the last 8 days, but worked out the VUK guide and started on the VUK wireform. Challenge was teaching myself how to draw it. This is still a work in progress but the idea is that this becomes a physical ball lock that can be stolen by the next player if you don't release on your go. Once getting a ball up there it will sit there until you get a ball on the regular wireform to trigger the release of the "Party Wave" multiball.

LaB-104 (resized).pngLaB-104 (resized).png
LaB-105 (resized).pngLaB-105 (resized).png

#277 6 years ago
Quoted from hassanchop:

A physical ball lock getting stollen by the next player seems a pretty cool idea here. Like stealing a wave hehehe we do it all the time

yes would love to have 2 rules, one is a "party wave" multiball and the other is a "drop in" death ball that kills your ball play and maybe to get rid of it is to ride the wipeout ball to release the stored "drop in ball" ???? struggling to work out how to integrate this with my current rule approach.

Quoted from PinSinner:

The surf board inserts are a nice touch. This is looking great. I look forward to seeing the physical build in progress.

the 4 boards will eventually be 4 different shaped ones and won't be inserts rather just artwork. The reason they are there now is to plan my inserts and 3 x roll over star inserts

Quoted from flashinstinct:

Here's another Idea for you. You would have to move / change / the habitrail to go around it / integrate but it would give you and opportunity to add another wave like shape and dynamics to the game. And it would definitely make the shooter lane unique. You could even create a skill shot bonus out of it somehow if you could measure the height the ball goes in the loop (not illustrated on the image but if you the bottom guide was flush instead of part of the loop and that wave would be full..etc.

cool idea and I get what you are suggesting but will have to have a think about it. I was originally going to have a similar but different 180 turn / loop / embankment in the top right corner as it was going to represent a big move - vertical re-entry or aerial move ramp but opted against it as the vuk shot is a blind shot and to then add a embankment type ramp would need a more precise and accurate shot that I could not give. I also wanted to have a skill shot on launch and this has refreshed me it too possibly incorporating something like this - but want to keep the area clean and not suddenly be the most congested area of the game. let me think about it - definitely very cool

Quoted from Fifty:

Oh man! I like this idea a lot and there's real estate just below the upper right flipper where this could be incorporated without too much effort I think.

I agree, I am thinking ..........................

#278 6 years ago

actually that second ramp picture just dawned on me as a soft plunge can let the ball return to the flipper and a medium could either drop the ball just high of the upper right flipper for a skill shot to the wave and pickup skill shot points from the spinner on the wireform and then maybe a hard plunge also returns the ball ball to the lower right flipper......... will draw over the next week to see if this is doable, thanks flashinstinct

am thinking maybe that the low, medium and powerful shooter lane shot could be a indicator of the surf size - 4ft, 6ft or 8ft tubes (maxed out) .... maybe

#279 6 years ago

for those interested, tweaked the vuk wireform a little to keep it within the available cabinet space, nicer shape though needs to have a taper designed in to reduce the side when the ball exits the vuk wireform - will do this on manufacturing.

- going to concentrate on the supports for this wireform at the moment
then
- consider the shooter lane idea but the wireforms are my priority as want this area to look cool and not cluttered and still need to complete mounts and a replacement wireform spinner.

The vuk wireform will feed a second ball "party wave" multiball after the first passes the long wave wireform.

the profile line is the mirror blade shape and the cone thing is the huey surf god that went weird for some reason?
LaB-106 (resized).pngLaB-106 (resized).png

general views
LaB-108 (resized).pngLaB-108 (resized).png
LaB-107 (resized).pngLaB-107 (resized).png

#281 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballwil:

Looks great, but i think the bal fly's out the green ramp in the real world.

it might, and I do expect to be mucking around with the wave ramp, as good in theory as a model but do expect to shape and play around when the time comes to testing - more of a visual and planning many of the features at the moment until ready to get cut.

but the wave is still to have a top piece added to it that isn't a priority at the moment that will be the white wave foam effect as a additional visual but also stop the ball from launching - here is a cross section of the wave that shows that it has more of a curl that what can be viewed from a distance shot and then I added a few circles to simulate a foam ball that will hopefully retain the ball. The goal is to randomise the wave shot:
- too soft is like talking off on a wave to late and getting wipeout and going down the short wipeout vuk.
- too hard is like talking off on the wave and riding to high on a wave and getting pitched and wiping out or if lucky making the wave (wave wireform)
- medium timed short is like catching the perfect tube and connecting with the wave wireform and hitting the spinner with speed and getting more points.

I want the wave ramp to represent surfing that not every tube is perfect and this I think is unqiue for a ramp to have various outcomes based on the timed shot....... all theory at the moment

LaB-109 (resized).pngLaB-109 (resized).png

#284 6 years ago

Which software are you using for this?

I am using a full Alltek boardset running on Skateball rules, with the removal of one set of drop (3 bank) with some added features added via using a few servo triggers.

I enjoyed Skateball and wanted a fairly simple rule set type of game with the skill needed in shooting the wave and the other features. This concept might even open the door for others to build a game on existing rules and boards.

Admittedly I have zero experience in programming so heading down this path first and then might switch to proc or fast later as have lots of ideas and features that could be added but that isn't my focus at this point.

#287 6 years ago

I was referring to the playfield drawings...are you using autocad, solidworks?

sorry , am using solidworks (older version) running on a mac

#288 6 years ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Here's a random idea. Balls lock until the weight of 3 balls lowers a mechanism to touch the bottom of the wave ramp, and Green Room multiball starts, with that area of the ramp turned into a tunnel now.

nice idea and weight controlled is cool.

I will be reworking the wave wireform to complete the tube look I am thinking and maybe the spinner linked to a custom display that 8 spins is a 8 second tube ???????? and gives you 1000 points for every spin.

4 weeks later
#289 6 years ago

has been a little while as went away on holidays for a little while, but back and started to tweaked a few things:
- I improved the vuk wireform and wave wireform.
- I also added a gobble hole as a option behind the 3 bank drops under the wave like a wipeout hole - current it will have a rubber in front of it can easily be an optional feature though still needs to create a exit point.
- lastly re-working the launch bend / upper right flipper to add in a skill shot. Some of the guides still need to be redesigned but this is where I am up to at this point. Basically when the ball sits in the shooter lane it will activate a panning gate that will open and close so will be about timing to shot the ball and either goes to the flippers or shoot out through the gap (waves) and launch up the wave and pickup points from the spinner and return to the lower right flipper. So this will be the paddle out from shore or jump off the breakwall start to the game.

TT-111 (resized).pngTT-111 (resized).png
TT-114 (resized).pngTT-114 (resized).png
TT-113 (resized).pngTT-113 (resized).png
TT-112 (resized).pngTT-112 (resized).png

1 week later
#290 6 years ago

re-designed the shooter lane to have a panning gate that will create a timed skill shot or a lucky shot.

the lucky shot might be a feature that is based on the spinner near the 3 bank of drops and it's 3 indicator inserts:
- left hand light is gate closed
- middle light is gate panning slowly back and forth
- right hand light is gate open for the wave shot
the concept might be during the previous ball ever time the pop bumper sized hole horizontal spinner is hit it spins and lands on a option and when the ball drains you have a chance of a feed to flippers, timed skill shot or lucky shot up the wave and collect bonus points. Completing the gate shot is like jumping off the breakwall avoiding the paddle out and able to catch a wave easier.

gate closed
TT-115 (resized).pngTT-115 (resized).png

gate open
TT-116 (resized).pngTT-116 (resized).png

full playfield showing the alignment to the wave
TT-117 (resized).pngTT-117 (resized).png

#294 6 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

Oh, I really like that. Get the build on this thing going so that I can start building one over here in NA.

haha, I am getting there, currently looking at a bench cnc so I can make the playfield/s , tossing up between a x-carve, stepcraft and a ox cnc. Most probably going to go a ox cnc (picture below) but modded with a x carve controller and add t slots etc and it will fit a playfield on just with 10mm on either side spare. Sent different companies questions and waiting on a few quotes and then bite the bullet.

OX-Main-Picture-2-746x1000 (resized).jpgOX-Main-Picture-2-746x1000 (resized).jpg

Quoted from jwilson:

I wonder if that tight radius will eat a ton of ball momentum so it won't make the ramp. Don't usually see turns that tight.

when the gate is open the ball is following a path that is roughly a 125 degree bend with a roughly 40mm radius so don't think it will it affect the speed too much. The full tight turn were the ball does a 180 back on itself is only to the flippers so not worried if the speed slows down and probably better if it does.

TT-119 (resized).pngTT-119 (resized).png

Quoted from mbaumle:

Sorry, I'm a little late to the party on this one, but Gottlieb's Diamond Lady is similar as well. Sorta a hybrid of the "flip up" mech from Black Knight, then the "turn around" used in The Shadow.

Really excellent progress too. I've been casually following this thread. I love the passion and enthusiasm!

I haven't seen that one below but yes a similar concept and I suppose that had to go up to get it to the flipper where mine has the reverse drain lanes which allowed me to do it this way.

thanks for chiming in guys, always nice to have a chat...

#295 6 years ago

added a 3 post spinner (though a rubber still needs to be installed) but fits into the same hole as a Sega style Jet Bumper, so will allow for 3 options to mix up game play if you get bored with a feature:
1 - Sega Jet Bumper
2 - 3 post horizontal Rock Spinner (still needs a molded rock on top)
3 - 2 post horizontal Shark Fin Spinner (plate with a molded shark fin on top)

TT-120 (resized).pngTT-120 (resized).png

#297 6 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

I like it. You need to make those surfboard inserts happen. They are a key part of the playfield. 3D print them if you have to.

at the moment they will be just art but if / when I get a small cnc I probably will try cutting them out

#298 6 years ago

just committed to a bench cnc:

mechanical kit from UK - OX CNC - but in all black
controller kit from Inventables USA - X Carve

process area - 820 x 1275mm perfect for playfields

OX-Main-Picture-2-746x1000 (resized).jpgOX-Main-Picture-2-746x1000 (resized).jpg

screen-capture-11 (resized).pngscreen-capture-11 (resized).png

#300 6 years ago

don't be envious, it is possible for others as well.

I plan to document the build and running of the cnc in a separate thread so people can learn and potentially dive in as well.

as for the game, I plan to do it in a 90's bally cabinet with at this stage 80's board design but modern Allltek Systems boards so there could be a chance for kits (definitely not promising that but have considered that as one of my dreams to achive). But at this stage no point getting ahead of myself, gotta build this one and see if it is actually a fun shooter / game for the fun of it, but the cnc allows me to do it now alot easier. Still have an incredibly massive hill to climb but been wanting to do this for years.

assemble and then get a table top, fit and get settings right etc etc - so goal 1 at the moment is to keep designing the playfield ready by the end of the year and hopefully cut something by Christmas / New Years through to end of Jan - steep learning curve and time needed so expect to blow that goal (that covers me).

#303 6 years ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

So I'm curious as to why not just get the whole kit from Ox cnc? I'm looking at doing the same purchase as some point.

A few reasons:

I want my kids (aged 4yr & 8yr) to start using the cnc basics with general shapes etc not the usual kid interest but both very creative and like the shed, as they can easily create shapes and make words etc and get some exposure to a cnc. Easel is very user friendly and Easel Pro has just been released with even more features - 3d machining. The ox cnc like the x-carve can run using a basic boardset but the x carve controller based on articles has some performance improvements with cutting performance, comes in a great package and Inventables has a great forum and help centre. Lastly I have a spare mac mini and I can do everything I need to.

The x-carve controller will just need some minor setting adjustments to then think it is a x-carve machine and all going well good to go.

#304 6 years ago

here is the wireform ramp under mounted spinner - which will count the time in the tube and issue points

design still needs some cleanup and there will be some sort of molded type toy of a full tube along the straight section of the wireform = which is the time in the tube = Tube Time

TT-121 (resized).pngTT-121 (resized).png

#307 6 years ago

congrats lachied , look forward to some progress on your project

#309 6 years ago

the horizontal spinner can be swapped out for a 3 post spinner (still to get a rock / boulder cover) or a 2 post spinner with a shark fin topper.

TT-122 (resized).pngTT-122 (resized).png

TT-123 (resized).pngTT-123 (resized).png

#311 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballwil:

No popbumpers ? are you sure.

where the horizontal spinner is a pop bumper can be installed there as an alternative - so yes for one sometimes

#313 6 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

How about a single spinning pop bumper with a shark fin on top?

??????? - hadn't thought of that

I am curious how JJP did the ones on Pirates - anyone got a photo.

#314 6 years ago

Seriously, I had a thought a while ago and steered away from it in regards to pop bumpers but still not off the cards as recently have allowed for an the integration of a scoop to feed the ball to a lower playfield under the wave simply by changing the a rubber - here is a screen shoot from a page or so back of the planned scoop subway hole.

scoop (resized).pngscoop (resized).png

what I had thought was a CFTBL style window mid playfield and a mini subway playfield and set of 3 x drop targets that spell AIR and 2-3 pop bumpers that simulate being held under by the wave and in the Skateball rules would give you points but ideally would love the points to be deductied from your score unless you can spell AIR as then you get the bonus amount of points. but haven't considered a eject hole ?

#317 6 years ago
Quoted from SpaceGhost:

This looks really great. I hadn't seen this thread until today. Awesome work.

cheers, your project is awesome as well and moving at incredible speed...

#318 6 years ago
Quoted from fantarama:

you mean a rotating platform like this?
https://users.cs.fiu.edu/~jweiss/nags/

no JJP pirates have pops with a spinning guy on it, probably just a little motor sitting within the top of the pop bumper housing..

#321 6 years ago

well this is where I get side tracked but in a good way - my bench cnc mechanical kit have arrived, will start assembly this weekend - and still waiting on the controller and need to buy a router and also build a bench for it to go on. Hoping to be cutting something worthy around Xmas.

IMG_3502 (resized).JPGIMG_3502 (resized).JPG

#322 6 years ago

Final layout apart from a few cutting tweaks is this layout. Up to recently I was not happy with the lower lhs and the upper flipper.
- moved the upper flipper a inch up and changed the plastic and gave some room for the player to against the flipper to suit their shooting - all the way down may allow for a tight shot of the wave now.
- the back side of the upper left flipper is now a rebound rubber in which you have to hit in the right spot for a rebound to the bonus collect - still needs a rubber modelled in.
- FIN roll over switches now moved to the lower lhs as standup targets and with each flipper hit the light will move changing the target to hit and activate, this bank of targets also gives the purpose for the left to right orbit shot as you could have your upper right flipper up to steer the ball into the FIN targets. Above the FIN targets might be a slingshot for Backwash
- lastly opening and changing the lower lhs allows for a skill shot bonus collect when the shooter lane gate is oscillating to the wave or bonus collect

I am happy with this layout and so will now proceed with finalising machine holes and building the cnc for a christmas cut - hopefully .....

I will probably do a rules post soon as that will help me as well to make sure everything is right.

Features are:
8 x drops (point building and goal orientated)
2 x drops (2 hidden path blockers - allow access to multiball and orbit FIN shot - no points)
1 x standup targets (turns the 2 x path blocker drops off so can't reset)
3 x standup targets (FIN for bonus multiplier build up)
1 x changeable - pop bumper or 2 post shark fin spinner or 3 post boulder spinner (spinners open up optional skill shot, pop bumper will be just an oscillating gate on launch)
1 x wave ramp (2 outcomes)
1 x wave ramp spinner (tube time bonus builder)
2 x sling shots (maybe a 3rd)
4 x flippers
1 x visible tilt mech

TT-126 (resized).pngTT-126 (resized).png

TT-124 (resized).pngTT-124 (resized).png

TT-125 (resized).pngTT-125 (resized).png

#323 6 years ago

ok as said before I am going to document in a separate thread the build process of a Bench CNC - so if interested watch, learn, laugh with me and laugh at me during the journey.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-journey-of-building-a-bench-cnc-for-a-custom-game#post-4075463

3 weeks later
#325 6 years ago

been a bit caught up with being sick, doing site maps for work at home and then have to do one project to help another.

project 1 - re-arrange the shed to make way for a cnc table
project 2 - make a flip up cnc table
project 3 - complete the cnc

dam doubt I will be cutting a playfield in the next 2 weeks but got a week off and hope to be close to having the cnc at least running by new years and then back to work.

my workshop is small so need to make a drop down table so if ever the car needs to go in it can as well as wheel games etc around.

the long section of workbench is already in place, just need to make the left hand side small one for the computer and cnc controls
Drop down bench 1 (resized).pngDrop down bench 1 (resized).png

cnc bench will tilt up out of the way and front legs removed
Drop down bench 2 (resized).pngDrop down bench 2 (resized).png

cnc / bench tilted out of the way with a white board underside for sketching ideas
Drop down bench 3 (resized).pngDrop down bench 3 (resized).png

#327 6 years ago

yeah the pivot bench will be locked with 12mm pivot bolts and the back edge will be clamped and then just the front which will have pinned legs. The OX cnc is quite rigid so fairly confident but sure there will be a few surprises along the way.

#329 6 years ago
Quoted from GimpMaster:

Following. Not sure why I haven’t seen this post before. Excited to see you cutting a white wood soon.

thanks, am getting closer and looking forward to whitewood time as well

spent 2/3 of today building a flip up (out of the way) CNC table

IMG_3673 (resized).JPGIMG_3673 (resized).JPG

IMG_3674 (resized).JPGIMG_3674 (resized).JPG

#330 6 years ago

my full set of UNO displays arrived from Pinitech today and they look great - top design

great for my project for space saving but also great replacements for 80's SS games

www.pinitech.com/products/cat_displays.php

uno.jpguno.jpg

#334 6 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

Swinks, thank's so much for your comments on the new displays! I'm always excited to hear when people are using things for custom themed games! It's like I'm part of something new too And the creativity and ingenuity that goes into it all.. especially that people are creating everything custom and going to great lengths like setting up their own CNC machine. It's absolutely fascinating and as an artistic/creative person I feel right at-home with others doing things differently because they want to see something that doesn't exist come to fruition.
I'll definitely be staying tuned-in for updates! Good luck & Merry Christmas to you!

no worries and my pleasure for bumping a cool approach to the displays - will redesign my backbox very soon on how I will integrate these cool displays and I am sure we will chatting soon (might have a question or 2 for you) + I intend to be putting the names of key companies / people that helped in the art work near the drain point / apron - Pinitech will be one of them.

Have a great Christmas as well and I posted in an aussie thread your links so hopefully you get a bit more interest and support as well.

#335 6 years ago

as for an update, the cnc table is finished and CNC is heading into final assembly, computer and monitor setup, but am going to fall short on a few extra parts for the cnc so there will be a minor delay - bugger

in the stored away position
IMG_3720 copy (resized).jpgIMG_3720 copy (resized).jpg

in the setup position
IMG_3718 copy (resized).jpgIMG_3718 copy (resized).jpg

cnc assembly happening, in which it will be permanently mounted to the flip up bench, just testing that it will fit a playfield on it, in which I have 5 inches of room spare for cutting playfields
IMG_3722 copy (resized).jpgIMG_3722 copy (resized).jpg

1 week later
#336 6 years ago

I have not forgotten about this game, and the cnc is almost at the wiring stage as getting keen to dive back into this build

been thinking about the music and thinking that instrumental surf music will be the best fit for this game and did a search and did not realise there is so many artists playing this and creating this music from years ago to recently
https://www.guitarworld.com/artists/10-instrumental-surf-rock-songs-you-need-hear-now

So, if you know of a cool surf instrumental please post a link, song & band name etc and then I can start a list for game songs to try in the game.

#339 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Dick Dale (basically anything by him)
Beach Boys - Surfing USA

checked out a few of dick dale and there are cool, thanks

#340 6 years ago

thanks @toyotaboy, a little slower but good

#342 6 years ago

that's a good one swillie and from that I found this one on the side list which would suit the 1st ball, "Dawn Patrol"

#344 6 years ago

did a search of surf punk instrumental and found these japanese guys, who are cool and young blood into the surf music - Surf Coasters

the song - bumble bee

#350 6 years ago

thanks greenhornet and JoelOmatik they are both cool and like that pulp fiction sound.

and thanks everyone for your suggestions, it helps heaps and now learnt of some new and great artists that I was not aware of

#352 6 years ago

There is a great play list on iTunes called " the birth of surf"
many many great tracks.

was waiting for your input, will check that out

edit - purchased volume 2 - great value 123 songs for $10, thanks

#353 6 years ago

a huge thanks to berzerk for sending me some music, really appreciate the help and support everyone

1 week later
#356 6 years ago
Quoted from SeaLawyer:

Awesome, project, swinks! Can't wait to see the finished product (so you can get back to DoH!!)...
Quick question: did you build the Solidworks objects like the flippers/bumpers/etc. from scratch, or is there a repository of them available somewhere?
Cheers,
Vaughn

Hey @SeaLawyer, thanks for the kind comments and yes looking forward to getting on to DoH as well, have learnt a few things and got a few other ideas as well.

To answer your question, yes I designed all the parts replicating from original parts, and I am aware there is a repository (pinballmaker). My issue with the repository is that the site has a number of my early drawings up there that he found off the net from years ago and copy and pasted in there (which I don't have a issue with) but since then I have discovered a few issues with the first 4-5 cabinet drawings shown there so I reached out and asked to pull them to protect people building stuff with mistakes but he didn't listen so my advice to others is proceed with caution and double check critical dimensions. I will share some of my designs only once I have made a cabinet, cut a playfield etc to proof test my designs first.

#361 6 years ago

thanks @bflagg, there is so many takes on that particular song, didn't mind that one.

thanks @toyotaboy, hadn't seen that one, and cool design, my issue is available floor space so vertical is better but alot of thought went into that one, love it

#362 6 years ago
Quoted from SeaLawyer:

Awesome, thanks! I'm in the VERY, VERY early stages of a custom homebrew pin, so I'm trying to research as much as possible. I have the theme already (the cult 'classic' Disney film, Condorman, from 1981), as well as the cabinet/translite art, a lot of the sound clips and video clips for callouts, and general ideas on rules, game modes, and playfield layout. Using Solidworks, are you able to test game physics such as ball movement, slingshot mechanics, etc.? Since I'm not "re-skinning" an existing game, I'm concerned about the physics, flow, etc. I thought about maybe designing it first in Visual Pinball, but apparently it's a monster PITA to port that out for CNC routing or 3D printing. It seems like everyone uses Solidworks instead.
Where are you in Australia? [edit: duh, I guess I could have looked at your profile...] I lived in Alice Springs for 6 years. LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the rest of the country. Alice, not so much...
Cheers,
Vaughn

awesome, make sure to post a link when you get to that stage of your design, I love reading other people's homebrew projects.

I have a old version of solidworks so I can only determine the centre of gravity (as you can assign materials to the parts) and can test out load test with like a heat image of stress on a part, but can't check flow physics. Solidworks is great in the way that once you design the parts you can can then do a assembly drawing to check fit and see if parts foul with each other. In addition depending on the mates (settings between 2 parts like centre, parrallel, face to a end etc) you assign parts you can do a movement test. So for me when I want to determine flow it is a bit of gut feel and then take it back a bit on the conservative side and cut and try out - until now my design is all theory but getting close to finishing the cnc. Though someone took one of my earlier designs and tested in VP and said it played well but he never returned with a video, sadly as was curious to see.

I am in Lake Macquarie, about 90 minutes north of Sydney, haven't been to Alice.

#363 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I'd love to have a community that discusses things like designing ramps to have good flow, or to be back-handable, angles for shots, etc, build up some collective wisdom, but in the meantime I do a lot of 3D prints to proof stuff out

great idea and will try to find a thread that alot of people chimed in on which has gone quiet now but some great info in it

edit - found it

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/maybe-its-time-to-build-a-simpler-pin

#364 6 years ago

kids always blow me away all the time especially my own by what they say, do or achieve and today my 8 1/2 year daughter went to her first ever art class as she loves drawing and did her first ever canvas (acrylic paints) and I was blown away firstly as to me this painting looked professional and secondly it was awesome inspiration for Tube Time as I intend to have bright colours throughout the game with the classic 90's style insert borders and black outlines around items. I think a rendition of this image will have to be "part" of the backglass / translite.

IMG_3851.JPGIMG_3851.JPG

#368 6 years ago

thanks guys, I loved swillie 's idea too and did the same as well for my phone.

2 weeks later
#372 6 years ago

a Feb update, have had a rest on this project for a little while and almost finished the cnc and side tracked with birthdays etc and now back into this one

I am still not 100% won with a few shots and contemplating a little bit of modification to the design so will work on that and release when done and by then hope the cnc is completed and then start cutting a proto whitewood Mar / Apr, till then have a good one.

1 week later
#373 6 years ago

a small update for those interested and will post a new playfield image later as still a work in progress but one of the things I was not happy with was the only one ramp to the wave ramp and was a little concerned if the ball would make it down one or the other exit points.
- big change was scrapped the wave ramp and now replacing with a upper wave playfield that the same left ramp feeds onto but also now with a right ramp feed in the back right corner. The plan is to put a mechanical moving wave so when the ball shoots up there it either makes it giving you a clear run to the ramp or if it hits the wave it will push out and hit some pins that you will then need to nudge to encourage the ball down the ramp or drop near the upper rhs flipper for another shot
- collecting the huey bonus on the mid lower left side was a "little how are you going in design" so made a few small changes and looks like I can fit a ramp there to that but will have a catch as don't want to make collecting a bonus too easy
- also added a pop bumper and keeping the horizontal rock / shark fin spinner

basic partial reworked playfield route sketch coming tonight

#374 6 years ago

also Newcastle (local city) is having an international pro surfing event this week / weekend and has had a Sup and Aus comps and skate comps the last 2 weeks so has been stimulating and then the local newspaper released this image which was the front cover last weekend done by a local artist that does murals around the Newcastle area. It tells a bit of a story of the local break at Merewether Beach.

What do you reckon of the art ?????

As am thinking of a cartoon style art but not as busy and very vibrant.

IMG_3918.jpgIMG_3918.jpg

#377 6 years ago

here is the partially reworked design

* below the upper left flipper will be a short loop around to the bonus collect ball catch
TT-127.pngTT-127.png

* closer look on the top half - added a pop and moved the spinner, the spinner will interact with the mechanical wave speed / curl, at the moment only left to right orbit, but right will lead to a range to the upper WAVE playfield
TT-128.pngTT-128.png

* the green lines is the current concept for a upper WAVE playfield that will have sweeping SS ball guides, still to add some pin posts and mechanical wave on the right hand side that could / will interact with the ball and could affect a fast feed to the wireform or affected and cause a wipeout to drain to upper right fliper
TT-129.pngTT-129.png

#379 6 years ago

refined the design to a point that I am happy with the upper wave playfield (blue lines) and will now work on the huey collect bonus ramp and then prep for cnc cutting soon (with no inserts)

TT-PF-2018v23 (resized).pngTT-PF-2018v23 (resized).png

#382 6 years ago

thanks guys

parts for the cnc turned up 2 days ago so hope to find time this weekend to finish the wiring and possibly get some settings sorted

#383 6 years ago

in the spirit of the beach I just supported a kickstarter playing card project with a tiki theme
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/strangewise/tikilandia-playing-cards?ref=user_menu

1 month later
#384 5 years ago

May update:

cnc is operational now, debugged and just writing a manual for the hybrid machine so if anyone else wants to go down this road

I keep volunteering to help people with repro parts (Dr Who mushroom targets, 80's stern bally drops) which delays this project - gotta learn to just focus on this for a while. The game has a upper playfield now as was a little concerned the ramp would not totally work and now has 2 feed-ins from upper right flipper or lower left flipper. Now has a pop pumper in the impact zone, the upper horizontal spinner determines pop-up obstacles in the upper playfield which alter the wave shape and flow - causing a wipeout or wireform (tube ride) The spinner is determines how many seconds in the tube for a bonus. Riding the wire form opens up the huey bonus collect (via the lower left ramp still to be put in) if you haven't opened bonus collect the ramp just feeds the ball fast to the lower left flipper. This is the one (version 23) I am happy with and to cut apart from tweaks and lets see if it plays ok, shit or good.

screen-capture-9 (resized).pngscreen-capture-9 (resized).png

Slightly Tube Time game related - I saw 2 guy a few weeks ago locally in the Channel on manual type foil surfboard out in the surf and these blew me away and then came across the e-foils while checking out on youtube.

here is the manual type

These efoil things look so cool and not as physically tiring and I have become slightly obsessed in watching them and kit builds etc. contemplating this since I have a lake and ocean with 5 minutes away - but gotta finish this game first lol......

Any pinsiders into these.... efoils?

#385 5 years ago

just for me to keep a link somewhere

this guy does a awesome project build on youtube - up to 13 parts - yes watched all of them when I should of been designing Tube Time

#390 5 years ago

thanks guys,

Junior Brown is cool though made me laugh - guy playing cool surf music wearing a cowboy hat.

Also didn't think about the HooDoo's - saw them in concert back in the 90's which was cool

#394 5 years ago
Quoted from miracleman:

I'm very sad to see the loss of the wave ramp for an upper pf, that made this truly unique. I understand the reasoning, but would have at least taken it to prototype before giving up, even if it was just the wave as a vaccuformed plexi piece.

I know what you mean but look at it the other way is I can get a working game going faster with the upper playfield, so the upper playfield is my proto-type and the wave ramp can be the LE version of it as I still want to do it....

The upper playfield is still to gain a wave form mold which I can 3d print onto it, so it will grow to capture the theme and feel more more - don't give up and be sad .

1 month later
#395 5 years ago

it has been a while and not alot of progress on this project but finished a heap of small ones that were slowing me up

A Favour Call Out - anyone have parts (top plate) or a full assembly of a 80's Bally inline drop target assembly similar to this, preferrably a 3 target version

inline_drop_assy (resized).jpginline_drop_assy (resized).jpg

bally-pinball-drop-target-assy-n25_1_994d20481b2f1a383f30fe3861bc4b62 (resized).jpgbally-pinball-drop-target-assy-n25_1_994d20481b2f1a383f30fe3861bc4b62 (resized).jpg

1 month later
#398 5 years ago
Quoted from SpaceGhost:

What the heck!?!? How did I miss this thread????!?
This awesome work. swinks Let me know if you need some custom laser cut parts for your playfield!

thanks @pinteresting, much appreciated that offer

4 months later
#399 5 years ago

sorry for the silence - life and study getting in the way, but came across this today and getting me refocused and study will be over by end of Jan and last ever Snackbar Mods completed by around end of Feb and then getting back to this.

Just picked a set of in-line drops to add to the game so will be changing the design a bit

latest artifical wave maker, an aussie one too

8 months later
#401 4 years ago
Quoted from steviechs:Just found this thread, read the entire thing, and need an update. @swinks what's going on with your project?

as of a few days ago, I am out of work so priorities are a little different at the moment - I did see it coming about 3 months ago

4 months later
#403 4 years ago

well it has been a long time and rebooting this thread / game.

I almost game my Dukes of Hazzard ideas / concepts and rules to commercial project and whisky product and then something didn't seem right, alot of changes wanted to be made without letting me to fully cement the design and felt it was going to go a very different direction that I wanted to go.

I have finished mods now for a while and have a new job which is not creative so I want to do some creative things when I get home so rebooting a custom pinball which will involve this game and the custom Dukes of Hazzard game.

This element is - playfield tiles

I just designed this playfield tile that will sit into a machined recess into the playfield. This tile is a ball diverter that uses no motors and just physical ball interaction in which I took the idea from The Shadow pinball from the ramp but adding it to the playfield. I intend to do a few different tiles so a game design can be changed quickly with just 3 bolts or mix it up by rotating the tile to face one of 6 directions. With this tile the entry could be facing the flippers so to enter hit the ball from the flippers into the entry location and the ball can go into one of 2 directions then you could rotate 180 degrees so the ball enters from the top say from the pop bumpers and can go one of 2 directions. Allows for play variety or game customisation say in a commercial game.

Playfield Diverter Tile.gifPlayfield Diverter Tile.gif
3 months later
#405 3 years ago

not at the moment, sadly

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swinks.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tube-time-custom-surfing-pin?tu=swinks and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.