• 73 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by swinks
  • Topic is favorited by 73 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Playfield Diverter Tile.gif
bally-pinball-drop-target-assy-n25_1_994d20481b2f1a383f30fe3861bc4b62 (resized).jpg
inline_drop_assy (resized).jpg
screen-capture-9 (resized).png
TT-PF-2018v23 (resized).png
TT-129.png
TT-128.png
TT-127.png
sticky-feet (resized).jpg
IMG_3918.jpg
DSCN1775 (resized).jpg
IMG_2359 (resized).PNG
IMG_3851.JPG
IMG_3722 copy (resized).jpg
IMG_3718 copy (resized).jpg
IMG_3720 copy (resized).jpg
There are 405 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 9.
#351 6 years ago

There is a great play list on iTunes called " the birth of surf"
many many great tracks.

#352 6 years ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

There is a great play list on iTunes called " the birth of surf"
many many great tracks.

was waiting for your input, will check that out

edit - purchased volume 2 - great value 123 songs for $10, thanks

#353 6 years ago

a huge thanks to berzerk for sending me some music, really appreciate the help and support everyone

1 week later
#354 6 years ago

Awesome, project, swinks! Can't wait to see the finished product (so you can get back to DoH!!)...

Quick question: did you build the Solidworks objects like the flippers/bumpers/etc. from scratch, or is there a repository of them available somewhere?

Cheers,
Vaughn

#355 6 years ago
Quoted from SeaLawyer:

Awesome, project, swinks! Can't wait to see the finished product (so you can get back to DoH!!)...
Quick question: did you build the Solidworks objects like the flippers/bumpers/etc. from scratch, or is there a repository of them available somewhere?
Cheers,
Vaughn

There's some on http://pinballmakers.com/wiki/index.php/Files_Section

#356 6 years ago
Quoted from SeaLawyer:

Cheers,
Vaughn

Hey @SeaLawyer, thanks for the kind comments and yes looking forward to getting on to DoH as well, have learnt a few things and got a few other ideas as well.

To answer your question, yes I designed all the parts replicating from original parts, and I am aware there is a repository (pinballmaker). My issue with the repository is that the site has a number of my early drawings up there that he found off the net from years ago and copy and pasted in there (which I don't have a issue with) but since then I have discovered a few issues with the first 4-5 cabinet drawings shown there so I reached out and asked to pull them to protect people building stuff with mistakes but he didn't listen so my advice to others is proceed with caution and double check critical dimensions. I will share some of my designs only once I have made a cabinet, cut a playfield etc to proof test my designs first.

#357 6 years ago

Thanks!

Quoted from swinks:

Hey SeaLawyer, thanks for the kind comments and yes looking forward to getting on to DoH as well, have learnt a few things and got a few other ideas as well.
To answer your question, yes I designed all the parts replicating from original parts, and I am aware there is a repository (pinballmaker). My issue with the repository is that the site has a number of my early drawings up there that he found off the net from years ago and copy and pasted in there (which I don't have a issue with) but since then I have discovered a few issues with the first 4-5 cabinet drawings shown there so I reached out and asked to pull them to protect people building stuff with mistakes but he didn't listen so my advice to others is proceed with caution and double check critical dimensions. I will share some of my designs only once I have made a cabinet, cut a playfield etc to proof test my designs first.

Awesome, thanks! I'm in the VERY, VERY early stages of a custom homebrew pin, so I'm trying to research as much as possible. I have the theme already (the cult 'classic' Disney film, Condorman, from 1981), as well as the cabinet/translite art, a lot of the sound clips and video clips for callouts, and general ideas on rules, game modes, and playfield layout. Using Solidworks, are you able to test game physics such as ball movement, slingshot mechanics, etc.? Since I'm not "re-skinning" an existing game, I'm concerned about the physics, flow, etc. I thought about maybe designing it first in Visual Pinball, but apparently it's a monster PITA to port that out for CNC routing or 3D printing. It seems like everyone uses Solidworks instead.

Where are you in Australia? [edit: duh, I guess I could have looked at your profile...] I lived in Alice Springs for 6 years. LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the rest of the country. Alice, not so much...

Cheers,
Vaughn

#358 6 years ago
Quoted from SeaLawyer:

I thought about maybe designing it first in Visual Pinball

I wouldn't really trust the physics of Visual Pinball or Future Pinball. The best way I've found is just to have a whitewood and start sticking stuff on it to test. A lot of things you'd think will work well won't, and vice versa. I'd love to have a community that discusses things like designing ramps to have good flow, or to be back-handable, angles for shots, etc, build up some collective wisdom, but in the meantime I do a lot of 3D prints to proof stuff out

#361 6 years ago

thanks @bflagg, there is so many takes on that particular song, didn't mind that one.

thanks @toyotaboy, hadn't seen that one, and cool design, my issue is available floor space so vertical is better but alot of thought went into that one, love it

#362 6 years ago
Quoted from SeaLawyer:

Awesome, thanks! I'm in the VERY, VERY early stages of a custom homebrew pin, so I'm trying to research as much as possible. I have the theme already (the cult 'classic' Disney film, Condorman, from 1981), as well as the cabinet/translite art, a lot of the sound clips and video clips for callouts, and general ideas on rules, game modes, and playfield layout. Using Solidworks, are you able to test game physics such as ball movement, slingshot mechanics, etc.? Since I'm not "re-skinning" an existing game, I'm concerned about the physics, flow, etc. I thought about maybe designing it first in Visual Pinball, but apparently it's a monster PITA to port that out for CNC routing or 3D printing. It seems like everyone uses Solidworks instead.
Where are you in Australia? [edit: duh, I guess I could have looked at your profile...] I lived in Alice Springs for 6 years. LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the rest of the country. Alice, not so much...
Cheers,
Vaughn

awesome, make sure to post a link when you get to that stage of your design, I love reading other people's homebrew projects.

I have a old version of solidworks so I can only determine the centre of gravity (as you can assign materials to the parts) and can test out load test with like a heat image of stress on a part, but can't check flow physics. Solidworks is great in the way that once you design the parts you can can then do a assembly drawing to check fit and see if parts foul with each other. In addition depending on the mates (settings between 2 parts like centre, parrallel, face to a end etc) you assign parts you can do a movement test. So for me when I want to determine flow it is a bit of gut feel and then take it back a bit on the conservative side and cut and try out - until now my design is all theory but getting close to finishing the cnc. Though someone took one of my earlier designs and tested in VP and said it played well but he never returned with a video, sadly as was curious to see.

I am in Lake Macquarie, about 90 minutes north of Sydney, haven't been to Alice.

#363 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I'd love to have a community that discusses things like designing ramps to have good flow, or to be back-handable, angles for shots, etc, build up some collective wisdom, but in the meantime I do a lot of 3D prints to proof stuff out

great idea and will try to find a thread that alot of people chimed in on which has gone quiet now but some great info in it

edit - found it

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/maybe-its-time-to-build-a-simpler-pin

#364 6 years ago

kids always blow me away all the time especially my own by what they say, do or achieve and today my 8 1/2 year daughter went to her first ever art class as she loves drawing and did her first ever canvas (acrylic paints) and I was blown away firstly as to me this painting looked professional and secondly it was awesome inspiration for Tube Time as I intend to have bright colours throughout the game with the classic 90's style insert borders and black outlines around items. I think a rendition of this image will have to be "part" of the backglass / translite.

IMG_3851.JPGIMG_3851.JPG

#365 6 years ago

Really cool, I have no artistic ability whatsoever. I made it my new lock screen wallpaper.

IMG_2359 (resized).PNGIMG_2359 (resized).PNG

#366 6 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

kids always blow me away all the time especially my own by what they say, do or achieve and today my 8 1/2 year daughter went to her first ever art class as she loves drawing and did her first ever canvas (acrylic paints) and I was blown away firstly as to me this painting looked professional and secondly it was awesome inspiration for Tube Time as I intend to have bright colours throughout the game with the classic 90's style insert borders and black outlines around items. I think a rendition of this image will have to be "part" of the backglass / translite.

It's awesome. She nailed the sky. Wonderful pinks in there!

#367 6 years ago

My new screen saver too now. I apologise to my furry mate for relegating him to just a photo now , sorry Kumo

DSCN1775 (resized).jpgDSCN1775 (resized).jpg

#368 6 years ago

thanks guys, I loved swillie 's idea too and did the same as well for my phone.

#369 6 years ago

That painting is awesome!!
8 yo and already has sense of structure on the drawings!

That would look very good on any of our living rooms

#370 6 years ago

You have a budding artist in Kalarna!

Im impressed!

#371 6 years ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

My new screen saver too now. I apologise to my furry mate for relegating him to just a photo now , sorry Kumo

Lol, poor guy I only booted a picture of my Blackout. Maybe Kumo could end up catching a frisbee on a beach somewhere on a pinball machine

2 weeks later
#372 6 years ago

a Feb update, have had a rest on this project for a little while and almost finished the cnc and side tracked with birthdays etc and now back into this one

I am still not 100% won with a few shots and contemplating a little bit of modification to the design so will work on that and release when done and by then hope the cnc is completed and then start cutting a proto whitewood Mar / Apr, till then have a good one.

1 week later
#373 6 years ago

a small update for those interested and will post a new playfield image later as still a work in progress but one of the things I was not happy with was the only one ramp to the wave ramp and was a little concerned if the ball would make it down one or the other exit points.
- big change was scrapped the wave ramp and now replacing with a upper wave playfield that the same left ramp feeds onto but also now with a right ramp feed in the back right corner. The plan is to put a mechanical moving wave so when the ball shoots up there it either makes it giving you a clear run to the ramp or if it hits the wave it will push out and hit some pins that you will then need to nudge to encourage the ball down the ramp or drop near the upper rhs flipper for another shot
- collecting the huey bonus on the mid lower left side was a "little how are you going in design" so made a few small changes and looks like I can fit a ramp there to that but will have a catch as don't want to make collecting a bonus too easy
- also added a pop bumper and keeping the horizontal rock / shark fin spinner

basic partial reworked playfield route sketch coming tonight

#374 6 years ago

also Newcastle (local city) is having an international pro surfing event this week / weekend and has had a Sup and Aus comps and skate comps the last 2 weeks so has been stimulating and then the local newspaper released this image which was the front cover last weekend done by a local artist that does murals around the Newcastle area. It tells a bit of a story of the local break at Merewether Beach.

What do you reckon of the art ?????

As am thinking of a cartoon style art but not as busy and very vibrant.

IMG_3918.jpgIMG_3918.jpg

#375 6 years ago

I have this in my pinnie room and love the style.

sticky-feet (resized).jpgsticky-feet (resized).jpg

#377 6 years ago

here is the partially reworked design

* below the upper left flipper will be a short loop around to the bonus collect ball catch
TT-127.pngTT-127.png

* closer look on the top half - added a pop and moved the spinner, the spinner will interact with the mechanical wave speed / curl, at the moment only left to right orbit, but right will lead to a range to the upper WAVE playfield
TT-128.pngTT-128.png

* the green lines is the current concept for a upper WAVE playfield that will have sweeping SS ball guides, still to add some pin posts and mechanical wave on the right hand side that could / will interact with the ball and could affect a fast feed to the wireform or affected and cause a wipeout to drain to upper right fliper
TT-129.pngTT-129.png

#378 6 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

What do you reckon of the art ?????
As am thinking of a cartoon style art but not as busy and very vibrant.

Love the art, like an Ocean amusement park. PF layout is looking great BTW.

#379 6 years ago

refined the design to a point that I am happy with the upper wave playfield (blue lines) and will now work on the huey collect bonus ramp and then prep for cnc cutting soon (with no inserts)

TT-PF-2018v23 (resized).pngTT-PF-2018v23 (resized).png

#380 6 years ago

CNC... CNC... CNC... CNC!!!

Need I say more

Cannot wait to see this start to take shape.

#381 6 years ago
Quoted from rufessor:

CNC... CNC... CNC... CNC!!!
Need I say more
Cannot wait to see this start to take shape.

I cannot agree more! I’ve been lurking this thread and am anticipating the cnc’d Piece of art. Nice work swinks

#382 6 years ago

thanks guys

parts for the cnc turned up 2 days ago so hope to find time this weekend to finish the wiring and possibly get some settings sorted

#383 6 years ago

in the spirit of the beach I just supported a kickstarter playing card project with a tiki theme
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/strangewise/tikilandia-playing-cards?ref=user_menu

1 month later
#384 5 years ago

May update:

cnc is operational now, debugged and just writing a manual for the hybrid machine so if anyone else wants to go down this road

I keep volunteering to help people with repro parts (Dr Who mushroom targets, 80's stern bally drops) which delays this project - gotta learn to just focus on this for a while. The game has a upper playfield now as was a little concerned the ramp would not totally work and now has 2 feed-ins from upper right flipper or lower left flipper. Now has a pop pumper in the impact zone, the upper horizontal spinner determines pop-up obstacles in the upper playfield which alter the wave shape and flow - causing a wipeout or wireform (tube ride) The spinner is determines how many seconds in the tube for a bonus. Riding the wire form opens up the huey bonus collect (via the lower left ramp still to be put in) if you haven't opened bonus collect the ramp just feeds the ball fast to the lower left flipper. This is the one (version 23) I am happy with and to cut apart from tweaks and lets see if it plays ok, shit or good.

screen-capture-9 (resized).pngscreen-capture-9 (resized).png

Slightly Tube Time game related - I saw 2 guy a few weeks ago locally in the Channel on manual type foil surfboard out in the surf and these blew me away and then came across the e-foils while checking out on youtube.

here is the manual type

These efoil things look so cool and not as physically tiring and I have become slightly obsessed in watching them and kit builds etc. contemplating this since I have a lake and ocean with 5 minutes away - but gotta finish this game first lol......

Any pinsiders into these.... efoils?

#385 5 years ago

just for me to keep a link somewhere

this guy does a awesome project build on youtube - up to 13 parts - yes watched all of them when I should of been designing Tube Time

#386 5 years ago

If still looking for music I highly recommend Junior Brown's picking skills.

Junior Brown - Surf Medley

#387 5 years ago

This isn't "classic" surf music, but the Hoodoo Gurus "Like Wow Wipeout" seems to be inspired by the classic stuff. Heck, some of HG's songs were featured in surf videos here in the USA back in the 80s. Anyway, here's LWW:

It looks like Hoodoo Gurus are (still) much more revered in their home country of Australia!

PS: I was fortunate to see Hoodoo Gurus live at a small club in downtown Orlando, FL back in the late 80s. What a GREAT band!

#388 5 years ago

Was surfing in our great southern Western Australia in Denmark some years back and these guys called into a little road house at Bow River. One of the band went firkin mental as they couldn't make him a lentil burger.
Absolute dick, good music though.

#389 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptK:

PS: I was fortunate to see Hoodoo Gurus live at a small club in downtown Orlando, FL back in the late 80s. What a GREAT band!

I was there too at the Beachem!

#390 5 years ago

thanks guys,

Junior Brown is cool though made me laugh - guy playing cool surf music wearing a cowboy hat.

Also didn't think about the HooDoo's - saw them in concert back in the 90's which was cool

#391 5 years ago

Heh, ya Junior is quite the character. Just look at the guitar he uses.

But here is a live version if you want to see him in action.

#392 5 years ago

I'm very sad to see the loss of the wave ramp for an upper pf, that made this truly unique. I understand the reasoning, but would have at least taken it to prototype before giving up, even if it was just the wave as a vaccuformed plexi piece.

#393 5 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I was there too at the Beachem!

Holy Cow, Art! Yes, THAT was the place! I couldn't remember what the venue was called, but after seeing your post and doing a search...yep it was the Beachem. FWIW: I'm a Winter Park kid through-N-through: Brookshire Elementary, Glenridge Junior High (the "original" before it was wiped-out and rebuilt across the steet), and Winter Park High School! Good times...

#394 5 years ago
Quoted from miracleman:

I'm very sad to see the loss of the wave ramp for an upper pf, that made this truly unique. I understand the reasoning, but would have at least taken it to prototype before giving up, even if it was just the wave as a vaccuformed plexi piece.

I know what you mean but look at it the other way is I can get a working game going faster with the upper playfield, so the upper playfield is my proto-type and the wave ramp can be the LE version of it as I still want to do it....

The upper playfield is still to gain a wave form mold which I can 3d print onto it, so it will grow to capture the theme and feel more more - don't give up and be sad .

1 month later
#395 5 years ago

it has been a while and not alot of progress on this project but finished a heap of small ones that were slowing me up

A Favour Call Out - anyone have parts (top plate) or a full assembly of a 80's Bally inline drop target assembly similar to this, preferrably a 3 target version

inline_drop_assy (resized).jpginline_drop_assy (resized).jpg

bally-pinball-drop-target-assy-n25_1_994d20481b2f1a383f30fe3861bc4b62 (resized).jpgbally-pinball-drop-target-assy-n25_1_994d20481b2f1a383f30fe3861bc4b62 (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#396 5 years ago

That mech looks Identical to the 5-bank row but with a different top plate. You can't cut and bend one by hand? That would be your best bet.

1 week later
#397 5 years ago

What the heck!?!? How did I miss this thread????!?

This awesome work. swinks Let me know if you need some custom laser cut parts for your playfield!

#398 5 years ago
Quoted from SpaceGhost:

What the heck!?!? How did I miss this thread????!?
This awesome work. swinks Let me know if you need some custom laser cut parts for your playfield!

thanks @pinteresting, much appreciated that offer

4 months later
#399 5 years ago

sorry for the silence - life and study getting in the way, but came across this today and getting me refocused and study will be over by end of Jan and last ever Snackbar Mods completed by around end of Feb and then getting back to this.

Just picked a set of in-line drops to add to the game so will be changing the design a bit

latest artifical wave maker, an aussie one too

8 months later
#400 4 years ago

Just found this thread, read the entire thing, and need an update. @swinks what's going on with your project?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 199.95
$ 69.00
$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 405 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tube-time-custom-surfing-pin/page/8?hl=hassanchop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.