• 73 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by swinks
  • Topic is favorited by 73 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Playfield Diverter Tile.gif
bally-pinball-drop-target-assy-n25_1_994d20481b2f1a383f30fe3861bc4b62 (resized).jpg
inline_drop_assy (resized).jpg
screen-capture-9 (resized).png
TT-PF-2018v23 (resized).png
TT-129.png
TT-128.png
TT-127.png
sticky-feet (resized).jpg
IMG_3918.jpg
DSCN1775 (resized).jpg
IMG_2359 (resized).PNG
IMG_3851.JPG
IMG_3722 copy (resized).jpg
IMG_3718 copy (resized).jpg
IMG_3720 copy (resized).jpg
There are 405 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 9.
#301 6 years ago

I've had a dream of doing a custom theme for a couple years now. I think it would be cool to copy your build and create one in the 'west' while you are making one in the 'east' sort of like that movie with Jodi Foster, Contact. The government builds the same structure in two locations but keeps one a secret to keep it hidden from terrorists and extremists. Ya, maybe I've sensationalized my thoughts a bit here. Ha!

In all honesty I feel this is really going to shoot well. I really like the concept of the design, and it's got everything in a pin that I want. Drops, spinner, 3rd flipper and some uniqueness. It's only missing a kicker. Something like the YAGOV kicker in F14 or the kicker in the truck on NASCAR that whips the ball around. A kicker like this on Tube Time could be used to shoot through the wave.

#302 6 years ago

So I'm curious as to why not just get the whole kit from Ox cnc? I'm looking at doing the same purchase as some point.

#303 6 years ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

So I'm curious as to why not just get the whole kit from Ox cnc? I'm looking at doing the same purchase as some point.

A few reasons:

I want my kids (aged 4yr & 8yr) to start using the cnc basics with general shapes etc not the usual kid interest but both very creative and like the shed, as they can easily create shapes and make words etc and get some exposure to a cnc. Easel is very user friendly and Easel Pro has just been released with even more features - 3d machining. The ox cnc like the x-carve can run using a basic boardset but the x carve controller based on articles has some performance improvements with cutting performance, comes in a great package and Inventables has a great forum and help centre. Lastly I have a spare mac mini and I can do everything I need to.

The x-carve controller will just need some minor setting adjustments to then think it is a x-carve machine and all going well good to go.

#304 6 years ago

here is the wireform ramp under mounted spinner - which will count the time in the tube and issue points

design still needs some cleanup and there will be some sort of molded type toy of a full tube along the straight section of the wireform = which is the time in the tube = Tube Time

TT-121 (resized).pngTT-121 (resized).png

#305 6 years ago

Had to note that currently- a surfing wave has taken over pinside. The thread directly above this on is about a surf champ! Party on surfers!!

And yes I know that posting this ruins the whole thing... karmas a bitch.

#306 6 years ago

Just got my own CNC up and running on the weekend. It is 1m x 1.5m. Bought it from 3dtek.xyz - in Sydney. It is based on XCarve design.
IMG_20171029_194703 (resized).jpgIMG_20171029_194703 (resized).jpgIMG_20171022_162741 (resized).jpgIMG_20171022_162741 (resized).jpg

Cant wait to start cutting playfields with it myself.

#307 6 years ago

congrats lachied , look forward to some progress on your project

#308 6 years ago

Cheers @swinks. Yeah I'll be keen to share/hear any tips about using the X-Carve for cutting playfields/plastics.
Oh and playfield is looking good.

#309 6 years ago

the horizontal spinner can be swapped out for a 3 post spinner (still to get a rock / boulder cover) or a 2 post spinner with a shark fin topper.

TT-122 (resized).pngTT-122 (resized).png

TT-123 (resized).pngTT-123 (resized).png

#310 6 years ago

No popbumpers ? are you sure.

#311 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballwil:

No popbumpers ? are you sure.

where the horizontal spinner is a pop bumper can be installed there as an alternative - so yes for one sometimes

#312 6 years ago

How about a single spinning pop bumper with a shark fin on top?

#313 6 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

How about a single spinning pop bumper with a shark fin on top?

??????? - hadn't thought of that

I am curious how JJP did the ones on Pirates - anyone got a photo.

#314 6 years ago

Seriously, I had a thought a while ago and steered away from it in regards to pop bumpers but still not off the cards as recently have allowed for an the integration of a scoop to feed the ball to a lower playfield under the wave simply by changing the a rubber - here is a screen shoot from a page or so back of the planned scoop subway hole.

scoop (resized).pngscoop (resized).png

what I had thought was a CFTBL style window mid playfield and a mini subway playfield and set of 3 x drop targets that spell AIR and 2-3 pop bumpers that simulate being held under by the wave and in the Skateball rules would give you points but ideally would love the points to be deductied from your score unless you can spell AIR as then you get the bonus amount of points. but haven't considered a eject hole ?

#315 6 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

??????? - hadn't thought of that
I am curious how JJP did the ones on Pirates - anyone got a photo.

you mean a rotating platform like this?
https://users.cs.fiu.edu/~jweiss/nags/

#316 6 years ago

This looks really great. I hadn't seen this thread until today. Awesome work.

#317 6 years ago
Quoted from SpaceGhost:

This looks really great. I hadn't seen this thread until today. Awesome work.

cheers, your project is awesome as well and moving at incredible speed...

#318 6 years ago
Quoted from fantarama:

you mean a rotating platform like this?
https://users.cs.fiu.edu/~jweiss/nags/

no JJP pirates have pops with a spinning guy on it, probably just a little motor sitting within the top of the pop bumper housing..

#319 6 years ago

great idea, i like the shark fin topper.

#320 6 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

no JJP pirates have pops with a spinning guy on it, probably just a little motor sitting within the top of the pop bumper housing..

ah! haven't seen that one but I think I get the idea.
I can think of something like this

but most likely a small motor yes

#321 6 years ago

well this is where I get side tracked but in a good way - my bench cnc mechanical kit have arrived, will start assembly this weekend - and still waiting on the controller and need to buy a router and also build a bench for it to go on. Hoping to be cutting something worthy around Xmas.

IMG_3502 (resized).JPGIMG_3502 (resized).JPG

#322 6 years ago

Final layout apart from a few cutting tweaks is this layout. Up to recently I was not happy with the lower lhs and the upper flipper.
- moved the upper flipper a inch up and changed the plastic and gave some room for the player to against the flipper to suit their shooting - all the way down may allow for a tight shot of the wave now.
- the back side of the upper left flipper is now a rebound rubber in which you have to hit in the right spot for a rebound to the bonus collect - still needs a rubber modelled in.
- FIN roll over switches now moved to the lower lhs as standup targets and with each flipper hit the light will move changing the target to hit and activate, this bank of targets also gives the purpose for the left to right orbit shot as you could have your upper right flipper up to steer the ball into the FIN targets. Above the FIN targets might be a slingshot for Backwash
- lastly opening and changing the lower lhs allows for a skill shot bonus collect when the shooter lane gate is oscillating to the wave or bonus collect

I am happy with this layout and so will now proceed with finalising machine holes and building the cnc for a christmas cut - hopefully .....

I will probably do a rules post soon as that will help me as well to make sure everything is right.

Features are:
8 x drops (point building and goal orientated)
2 x drops (2 hidden path blockers - allow access to multiball and orbit FIN shot - no points)
1 x standup targets (turns the 2 x path blocker drops off so can't reset)
3 x standup targets (FIN for bonus multiplier build up)
1 x changeable - pop bumper or 2 post shark fin spinner or 3 post boulder spinner (spinners open up optional skill shot, pop bumper will be just an oscillating gate on launch)
1 x wave ramp (2 outcomes)
1 x wave ramp spinner (tube time bonus builder)
2 x sling shots (maybe a 3rd)
4 x flippers
1 x visible tilt mech

TT-126 (resized).pngTT-126 (resized).png

TT-124 (resized).pngTT-124 (resized).png

TT-125 (resized).pngTT-125 (resized).png

#323 6 years ago

ok as said before I am going to document in a separate thread the build process of a Bench CNC - so if interested watch, learn, laugh with me and laugh at me during the journey.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-journey-of-building-a-bench-cnc-for-a-custom-game#post-4075463

#324 6 years ago

It looks brilliant swinks! I'll see you in the CNC thread!

3 weeks later
#325 6 years ago

been a bit caught up with being sick, doing site maps for work at home and then have to do one project to help another.

project 1 - re-arrange the shed to make way for a cnc table
project 2 - make a flip up cnc table
project 3 - complete the cnc

dam doubt I will be cutting a playfield in the next 2 weeks but got a week off and hope to be close to having the cnc at least running by new years and then back to work.

my workshop is small so need to make a drop down table so if ever the car needs to go in it can as well as wheel games etc around.

the long section of workbench is already in place, just need to make the left hand side small one for the computer and cnc controls
Drop down bench 1 (resized).pngDrop down bench 1 (resized).png

cnc bench will tilt up out of the way and front legs removed
Drop down bench 2 (resized).pngDrop down bench 2 (resized).png

cnc / bench tilted out of the way with a white board underside for sketching ideas
Drop down bench 3 (resized).pngDrop down bench 3 (resized).png

#326 6 years ago

Good luck. Half the battle is having a good place to work! Do you think you will have stability issues with the pivoting table with the cnc machine gyrating on it. That would be my concern I guess. I am excited to see what this benchtop cnc machine can do with a playfield.

-Jim

#327 6 years ago

yeah the pivot bench will be locked with 12mm pivot bolts and the back edge will be clamped and then just the front which will have pinned legs. The OX cnc is quite rigid so fairly confident but sure there will be a few surprises along the way.

#328 6 years ago

Following. Not sure why I haven’t seen this post before. Excited to see you cutting a white wood soon.

#329 6 years ago
Quoted from GimpMaster:

Following. Not sure why I haven’t seen this post before. Excited to see you cutting a white wood soon.

thanks, am getting closer and looking forward to whitewood time as well

spent 2/3 of today building a flip up (out of the way) CNC table

IMG_3673 (resized).JPGIMG_3673 (resized).JPG

IMG_3674 (resized).JPGIMG_3674 (resized).JPG

#330 6 years ago

my full set of UNO displays arrived from Pinitech today and they look great - top design

great for my project for space saving but also great replacements for 80's SS games

www.pinitech.com/products/cat_displays.php

uno.jpguno.jpg

#331 6 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

my full set of UNO displays arrived from Pinitech today and they look great - top design
great for my project for space saving but also great replacements for 80's SS games
http://www.pinitech.com/products/cat_displays.php

Swinks, thank's so much for your comments on the new displays! I'm always excited to hear when people are using things for custom themed games! It's like I'm part of something new too And the creativity and ingenuity that goes into it all.. especially that people are creating everything custom and going to great lengths like setting up their own CNC machine. It's absolutely fascinating and as an artistic/creative person I feel right at-home with others doing things differently because they want to see something that doesn't exist come to fruition.

I'll definitely be staying tuned-in for updates! Good luck & Merry Christmas to you!

#332 6 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

Swinks, thank's so much for your comments on the new displays! I'm always excited to hear when people are using things for custom themed games! It's like I'm part of something new too And the creativity and ingenuity that goes into it all.. especially that people are creating everything custom and going to great lengths like setting up their own CNC machine. It's absolutely fascinating and as an artistic/creative person I feel right at-home with others doing things differently because they want to see something that doesn't exist come to fruition.
I'll definitely be staying tuned-in for updates! Good luck & Merry Christmas to you!

looks like an amazing product. do you plan on doing williams early ss in colours?

#333 6 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

looks like an amazing product. do you plan on doing williams early ss in colours?

Should be headed in that direction

#334 6 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

no worries and my pleasure for bumping a cool approach to the displays - will redesign my backbox very soon on how I will integrate these cool displays and I am sure we will chatting soon (might have a question or 2 for you) + I intend to be putting the names of key companies / people that helped in the art work near the drain point / apron - Pinitech will be one of them.

Have a great Christmas as well and I posted in an aussie thread your links so hopefully you get a bit more interest and support as well.

#335 6 years ago

as for an update, the cnc table is finished and CNC is heading into final assembly, computer and monitor setup, but am going to fall short on a few extra parts for the cnc so there will be a minor delay - bugger

in the stored away position
IMG_3720 copy (resized).jpgIMG_3720 copy (resized).jpg

in the setup position
IMG_3718 copy (resized).jpgIMG_3718 copy (resized).jpg

cnc assembly happening, in which it will be permanently mounted to the flip up bench, just testing that it will fit a playfield on it, in which I have 5 inches of room spare for cutting playfields
IMG_3722 copy (resized).jpgIMG_3722 copy (resized).jpg

1 week later
#336 6 years ago

I have not forgotten about this game, and the cnc is almost at the wiring stage as getting keen to dive back into this build

been thinking about the music and thinking that instrumental surf music will be the best fit for this game and did a search and did not realise there is so many artists playing this and creating this music from years ago to recently
https://www.guitarworld.com/artists/10-instrumental-surf-rock-songs-you-need-hear-now

So, if you know of a cool surf instrumental please post a link, song & band name etc and then I can start a list for game songs to try in the game.

#337 6 years ago

Dick Dale (basically anything by him)
Beach Boys - Surfing USA

#339 6 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Dick Dale (basically anything by him)
Beach Boys - Surfing USA

checked out a few of dick dale and there are cool, thanks

#340 6 years ago

thanks @toyotaboy, a little slower but good

#341 6 years ago

Only one I know but I like it alot...

#342 6 years ago

that's a good one swillie and from that I found this one on the side list which would suit the 1st ball, "Dawn Patrol"

#343 6 years ago

These guys surf it up nicely too!

#344 6 years ago

did a search of surf punk instrumental and found these japanese guys, who are cool and young blood into the surf music - Surf Coasters

the song - bumble bee

#345 6 years ago

Classic surf rock band named after a great pin!

#348 6 years ago

this has been my mainstay pinball surf instrumental for some time now.

'surfing in the sunset' by the zircons.

upbeat tempo from the start and throughout.
four distinct passages. therefore, not as repetitive as most surf music.
combines guitar, synth, and sax.
historical notes at the beginning of the vid.
tune starts @ 1:00.

#349 6 years ago

A little Pulp Fiction flavor wouldn’t hurt!

#350 6 years ago

thanks greenhornet and JoelOmatik they are both cool and like that pulp fiction sound.

and thanks everyone for your suggestions, it helps heaps and now learnt of some new and great artists that I was not aware of

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

There are 405 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tube-time-custom-surfing-pin/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.