• 73 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by swinks
  • Topic is favorited by 73 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Playfield Diverter Tile.gif
bally-pinball-drop-target-assy-n25_1_994d20481b2f1a383f30fe3861bc4b62 (resized).jpg
inline_drop_assy (resized).jpg
screen-capture-9 (resized).png
TT-PF-2018v23 (resized).png
TT-129.png
TT-128.png
TT-127.png
sticky-feet (resized).jpg
IMG_3918.jpg
DSCN1775 (resized).jpg
IMG_2359 (resized).PNG
IMG_3851.JPG
IMG_3722 copy (resized).jpg
IMG_3718 copy (resized).jpg
IMG_3720 copy (resized).jpg
There are 405 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 9.
#101 6 years ago

Love your sketch star grazer! Wish I could draw like that.
Another option to make the wave more dynamic, but still keep it simple is to make part of the wave rotate a small amount forward and backward. Possible that was in your drawing Swicks? If you hit the wave on the wrong moment you will be dumped out. So you have ti time your shot.

#102 6 years ago

this is a blend between Star Gazer's idea and my original idea but just a fast concept design.

idea is the orbit shots still exist and there will be a diverter to aid in feeding into the drop target area and rhs top flipper. LHS ramp will feed the wave ramp (better than this concept) and then there will be a high and low trough in the wave to the right and the ball power will get a higher ride and more reward. The RHS ramp to the right of the 5 drops would be a 180 degree and land the ball onto the high trough.

this still needs a heap of work and a third trough would lead the ball to the horozontal spinner / or swappable to a pop bumper

LaB-53 (resized).pngLaB-53 (resized).png

#103 6 years ago

What a killer idea honestly just loving the dual waves in the back & surf board inserts!!! For your pops covers you should custom paint star fish stars on them!

18be542c60b86bb2fdabf61ca6abae13 (resized).jpg18be542c60b86bb2fdabf61ca6abae13 (resized).jpg

medium (resized).jpgmedium (resized).jpg

#104 6 years ago

it's only going to have one pop bumper but even then this is swappable for a horizontal spinner (with options) - really want the game to have that variable experience.

the pop bumper / horizontal spinner will probably be a submerged rock thingy...

#105 6 years ago

Well I cant wait to see it, it looks fun and that wave is killer!

#106 6 years ago

The diverter would look cool like a shark fin IMO.

#107 6 years ago

I have an idea for part of the artwork:
Kahuna[1] (resized).jpgKahuna[1] (resized).jpg

Also would be cool to have some sort of moving wave ball lock mechanism that transported balls across the playfield like this:

#108 6 years ago

that sculpture is super cool....

#109 6 years ago

have been playing with the wave and working out how to model a shape with one entry and 2 exits. As much as a mechanical toy that rotates would be cool I am still leaning to a static wave shot that has 2 possible exits and relies on playing skill.

I am going for a shot to the wave from the upper rhs flipper up the left ramp to the wave (still to be modeified and entry point cut out of the wave and if you connect a strong shot you ride the wave higher and collect the bonus, if the shot is weaker then you still get the fun of a wave but awarded standard points.

The wave still needs alot of tweaking but getting similar to Star Gazers concept but still keeping the orbit shot as a orbit and feed to the upper flippers with the aid of a switch activated diverter.

LaB-54 (resized).pngLaB-54 (resized).png
LaB-55 (resized).pngLaB-55 (resized).png
LaB-56 (resized).pngLaB-56 (resized).png
LaB-57 (resized).pngLaB-57 (resized).png

I need to make the wave wider on the lhs so not so egg shaped, and a more defined second ridge at the mid point. Later on will be the foam ball at the peak of the wave.

#110 6 years ago

Very cool! That looks like it would be a satisfying and entertaining shot - would the lower wave lead back to the upper flipper for a second try? I can imagine this would look pretty all lit up from the inside.

#111 6 years ago

Very cool shape! now wondering how the ball is entering the wave? Also thought of something like faking a movement of the wave by using a rotating lamp, remember this from a painting in a local chineese restaurant.

#112 6 years ago

also..just a thought...maybe have the waves crossing in the middle, what are your thoughts of that mr Swinks.

#113 6 years ago

I have to say I really like it when you had the wave curling/breaking over the top it's starting to look a little like a water park slide (another great theme) lol. The dual lanes are killer tho!

#114 6 years ago
Quoted from DDDwingmaster:

Love your sketch star grazer! Wish I could draw like that.
Another option to make the wave more dynamic, but still keep it simple is to make part of the wave rotate a small amount forward and backward. Possible that was in your drawing Swicks? If you hit the wave on the wrong moment you will be dumped out. So you have ti time your shot.

They are called:
-star gAzer
-swInks

#115 6 years ago

I could see it doing something like this...

Untitled (resized).jpgUntitled (resized).jpg

#116 6 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

have been playing with the wave and working out how to model a shape with one entry and 2 exits. As much as a mechanical toy that rotates would be cool I am still leaning to a static wave shot that has 2 possible exits and relies on playing skill.
I am going for a shot to the wave from the upper rhs flipper up the left ramp to the wave (still to be modeified and entry point cut out of the wave and if you connect a strong shot you ride the wave higher and collect the bonus, if the shot is weaker then you still get the fun of a wave but awarded standard points.
The wave still needs alot of tweaking but getting similar to Star Gazers concept but still keeping the orbit shot as a orbit and feed to the upper flippers with the aid of a switch activated diverter.

I need to make the wave wider on the lhs so not so egg shaped, and a more defined second ridge at the mid point. Later on will be the foam ball at the peak of the wave.

There is some true magic going on here,can you feel it?
Awesome

#117 6 years ago
Quoted from Star_Gazer:

Very cool shape! now wondering how the ball is entering the wave? Also thought of something like faking a movement of the wave by using a rotating lamp, remember this from a painting in a local chineese restaurant.

- on the render above your post there is 2 bits of metal poking through (at around 10 o'clock point) which I am yet to break through the wave shape - will do this soon once I get a wave shape that I like.
- we are on the same "wave" length with the lighting.

Quoted from Star_Gazer:

also..just a thought...maybe have the waves crossing in the middle, what are your thoughts of that mr Swinks.

- I am still not satisfied on my planned shot for the 180 ramp between the 5 bank and 3 bank of drops this might evolve into a different shot like you are suggesting.

Quoted from gmkalos:

I have to say I really like it when you had the wave curling/breaking over the top it's starting to look a little like a water park slide (another great theme) lol. The dual lanes are killer tho!

- the foam ball, breaking crest of the wave will be added very similar to how Star Gazer sketched it but more in the middle (peak crest) rather than the whole lot, and that is where I ideally I would like to hide the lighting.

Quoted from trunchbull:

Very cool! That looks like it would be a satisfying and entertaining shot - would the lower wave lead back to the upper flipper for a second try? I can imagine this would look pretty all lit up from the inside.

- I had always focused on running the 2 out points back to both lower flippers, but I actually am liking your suggestion as you are right it could drop the ball right near the flipper for a well aimed and power shot for the bonus collect higher wave ...... liking it

and a general thanks for the kind words and support, it does help and is motivating as even though it is my design, thoughts and ideas by others does contribute to a even better game. Don't be offended if I don't run with ever idea as there are still some unique elements to be added to the game and fill some voids.

#118 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballrockstar:

There is some true magic going on here,can you feel it?
Awesome

thanks mate, looking forward to your next build, love the custom pin threads as some very cool projects in action and completed.

#119 6 years ago

Other items progressing:
- I have been in touch with Third Coast Pinball who does wiring kits for 80's bally games and since this game will being running on the rules and boardset of 80's game. He can make up all the wiring (90-95%) for this game to suit the all new Alltek boardset. I know I could work this out and do it, but am time poor and impatient as really want to have a whitewood flipping this year.
- Another relatively local aussie pinhead has a machine shop and is happy to cut a whitewood once I am ready.
- I have all the inserts, mechs, most switches etc ready to go

biggest hurdle at the moment is the wave, as that is the main feature of the game and sets up ramps and other features that need to be designed in.

#120 6 years ago

Awesome, Swinks!!

#121 6 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I have an idea for part of the artwork:

Also would be cool to have some sort of moving wave ball lock mechanism that transported balls across the playfield like this:
» YouTube video

Never seen this and I live literally miles from it... sounds like it's time for a field trip.

#122 6 years ago

K I S S Dude.
Stick with original plan for the wave at first, then start playing with all these excellent ideas in the future. You will just frustrate yourself.

#123 6 years ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

K I S S Dude.
Stick with original plan for the wave at first, then start playing with all these excellent ideas in the future. You will just frustrate yourself.

yeah agree, hence sticking with the static wave as I can 3D print it, test, refine and really interested if the 2 wave exit works, if it does

#124 6 years ago

I got curious and recreated your pin in Visual Pinball based off of your initial layout sketch. It's fun! I haven't had any "lower wave" shots yet, but my version of your two-trough wave plastic is obviously really janky and I'm sure it would happen more in real life. I like how the long drop from the shooter lane to the flipper means it's difficult to have a controlled first shot, which keeps you on your toes. Looking forward to seeing this progress IRL!

surf recreate (resized).jpgsurf recreate (resized).jpg

#125 6 years ago

how cool, and dam you for playing it before me lol....

how does it feel overall....

#126 6 years ago

My 2c
I like the simplicity of the layout
I like the molded wave, it sets the game apart from others, agree keep it simple and not moving

I don't like the plunger shoot, no skill. if you use the molded ramp, I would also use a ramp like in white water and plunge the ball into the wave (if the wave can take the pounding)

#127 6 years ago
Quoted from PopBumperPete:

My 2c
I like the simplicity of the layout
I like the molded wave, it sets the game apart from others, agree keep it simple and not moving
I don't like the plunger shoot, no skill. if you use the molded ramp, I would also use a ramp like in white water and plunge the ball into the wave (if the wave can take the pounding)

thanks Pete for your thoughts

there is a target on the rhs above the right sling that will divert the ball on launch to the upper rhs flipper (jump off the breakwall / jetty) and the skill shot is launch and try and get the bonus collect on ball launch and upper right flipper hit so it will have a skill shot and the skill is trying to prep that diversion on the first ball to enjoy on the next few balls. I think the skill with launching to the lower flipper will be trying to tame the ball, like surfing choosing the best place to paddle out through the sets.

#128 6 years ago

Surfs up! Rad project. I attached one of the greatest surf instrumentals of all time for inspiration!

#129 6 years ago

Perhaps if you decide to go with the single moulded wave as illustrated, you can incorporate a mech that tilts the wave. When in the down position the ball can access the lower part of the wave (the lower channel/ramp) and when in the fully upright position it follows the upper channel/ramp. Not sure on the custom mech required for this to work and I'm just throwing the idea out there, but it would serve to also approximate wave movement.

I love what you are doing and look forward to seeing more progress.

#130 6 years ago
Quoted from nikpinball:

Surfs up! Rad project. I attached one of the greatest surf instrumentals of all time for inspiration!
» YouTube video

cool music, never heard of them before and liked the intro and the cars / bikes at random times was different.

#131 6 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

cool music, never heard of them before and liked the intro and the cars / bikes at random times was different.

Takeshi did a bunch of great surf music. The genre took off really well in japan in the 50's and 60's.

#132 6 years ago
Quoted from nikpinball:

Takeshi did a bunch of great surf music. The genre took off really well in japan in the 50's and 60's.

I will have to check them out, thanks

#133 6 years ago

I re-worked the ramp, got rid of the egg shape and has a nicer flow to it, but still more work to the exit, as well as cut out the entry for the lead in ramp and you can see where the stainless steel lead in ramp is poking through

the entry ramp needs to be shortened back at the curve to allow the ball to travel high or go in low on a weaker shot

LaB-59.pngLaB-59.png

LaB-60.pngLaB-60.png

#134 6 years ago

To add a skillshot to the wave, you could take an idea from the modified mirror finish black hole. He added a tube to his, with a cutout. You can full plunge all the way through, or do a partial plunge that dumps it into lanes:

#135 6 years ago

Got the wave ramp very close now - hopefully a hard hit will connect a high traveling ball to one wireform for bonus collect and low to medium hit will hopefully travel low to a lower wireform. Now just starting to work on the entry point of the SS ramp lead in.

LaB-61.pngLaB-61.png

#136 6 years ago

Man, all this work and you just want to run Skateball? You should definitely jump right to the P-ROC. Open Pinball Project also has a Bally interface board that plugs right into the existing Bally harness points you might consider.

#137 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Man, all this work and you just want to run Skateball? You should definitely jump right to the P-ROC. Open Pinball Project also has a Bally interface board that plugs right into the existing Bally harness points you might consider.

I think initially the plan is for swinks to re-theme the game visually and physically first while running the skateball code and once it flips perfectly to then move onto re coding the game from the ground up using the board set he purchased earlier in the thread.

I could be wrong but that's the impression I got from discussions about the project.

#138 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

I don't think there is nothing wrong in this approach I think and was waiting for you to chime in, Skateball is a good game, all the rules are there, all the wiring will be there and it is more than a re-theme as totally new layout with new sounds and totally new art.

my main approach is to try something different with something existing (using a proven boardset with existing rules) and document & share so others can be influenced to have ago. Like myself, there are many others that are keen to do a custom pin and fearful of programming. At least for this project I don't have to worry about that yet and concentrate on designing, timber, plastic and metal work, wiring and art and leave out the programming which is probably 40-50% of the work (uneducated wild guess).

in edition I am going for a more of a simplier pin as discused in Aurich's thread "what do you need to make a simplier pin" as it will have displays for the scoring and rely on the art and place-cards to tell you what to do. Dmd's and lcd's are cool and would love to go that way not needed for this game as this is about catching the idea wave and getting a good wave count for a surf session built into a game.

In the end if I want more I can dive into p-roc, fast, Open Pinball Project whatever and on sell the existing boardset if I want. Apart from a little bit of money there is no loss for me and it is my experience that I am willing to share.

cheers

Jady

#139 6 years ago

tweaked the lead in ramp & wave enough to test out in the near future and now happy to move on with other parts of the game

LaB-62.pngLaB-62.png

#140 6 years ago

Very impressed! I'm assuming it would be difficult to just dive into solid works with an engineering background but never having used it before and start producing sketches like this? I'm working towards my first (probably only ha!) homebrew and thinking about building a working model vs mocking something up like this..

Super cool to see it - but looks like a ton of time invested?

#141 6 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

I'm assuming it would be difficult to just dive into solid works with an engineering background but never having used it before and start producing sketches like this?

what software DO you use daily?

#142 6 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

what software DO you use daily?

Ha! Use autoCad but for 2d / gis stuff.. other than that just ms and asset management / gis software so not much translation there. I can certainly learn but delving into 3D modeling seems a little daunting and time consuming vs delving into a build and tweaking and learning as I go.

#143 6 years ago

Yes to draw all these parts takes alot of hours but I intend to be getting into this more in the future and the library of parts is then extremely helpful for future designs and this is how Stern designs games

actually Solidworks is pretty good and I just taught myself. My background was on the tools building light aircraft then cnc machinery for a total of 17 years and lastly custom fit-out of high end motorhomes 3 years then pulled my finger out and did mechanical engineering studies and been into project & asset management since so designing is a way for me to stay in touch with designing skills. I used autocad and similar in the first 2 jobs but nothing 3d. It's only that when I got into pinball a few years ago did I get into 3d design and find it valuable as I can fine tune my designs, test assemblies etc before I make a thing and in the engineering world is the standard approach. I am yet to put my design into a physical test but confident that somethings will be right from the get go and some won't - half the fun and part of the learning.

For me time is my challenge and since having young kids I don't get alot of shed time at the moment so designing in 3d at night suits my time allowances.

I was in a different job about 18months ago and was using the Autocad version of a 3d package - Inventor and did NOT find it as friendly at all, Autocad 2d is a horrible package compared to Solidworks and these guys were the originals in 3d drawing software and made it very approachable.

As for designing parts, it is really a matter of your approach:
machinist approach - start with a stock piece of material (say a cube) and then remove sections as if you were machining parts away.
building approach - adding materials / shapes to a existing shape and build it up

I tend to use both styles and it doesn't matter.

eg for a builders approach if we wanted to draw up a post in a game that the rubber sleeves slide over:
- select view - I would go for a top view
- sketch 1 - draw a circle, and then enter the diameter the same as the threaded bolt, then tick to finish
- feature 1 - select the circle and then a heap of 3d options are shown - select extrude and type in the distance, then tick finish
- sketch 2 - select sketch function and it will ask for a face in which you select and this is for the flange that sits on top of the playfield and then draw a circle and type in the required diameter and repeat a few times

with experience and practice the post might take a couple of minutes and the rubber sleeve is really simple and be 1 minute. Some other parts can take hours but apart from time it doesn't cost you anything in materials, manufacturing, contract costs to test and simulate.

Also if you want to get into 3d printing you need to learn 3d design to then create a STL file to then 3d print.

#144 6 years ago

Wish I was this clever on a computer.
I am just a dumb surfy as my Dad says.

#145 6 years ago

computers and their programs take practise, I can draw pictures but feel dumb as well when code is brought into the subject.

enjoy the waves mate, nothing beats that feeling when you get a great wave on a beautiful day.

#146 6 years ago

Wow swinks !! Thanks for the detailed explanation! Sounds like I could do it but good to hear the confirmation on time commitment. It particularly seems helpful to make sure stuff fits both top and bottom side. I may have to get into 3D printing down the road so I will have to revisit solid works at that point. Too many projects and things to learn to commit right now. I downloaded unity and tried a tutorial in hopes of eventually developing games on the p3 (on order) -- so cool but so massive, yet another thing that takes tens of hours to start learning lol. I don't know how you find time to work on these things with kids!!

#147 6 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

I don't know how you find time to work on these things with kids!!

during the week, about a 1hr to 1 1/2hrs after the kids are in bed and wife watching crappy tv shows

#148 6 years ago

just a small little update, something for testing the whitewood, but it might stay for the finished game.

some games need a centre post so I decided to make the centre post optional with a slight redesign. A recess in the playfield can be filled with a custom plug insert (post) or a custom rubber bump post - good for a drain monster if I have bad design luck or a add-on for when the kids want to play...

with
LaB-63 (resized).pngLaB-63 (resized).png

without
LaB-64 (resized).pngLaB-64 (resized).png

#149 6 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

just a small little update, something for testing the whitewood, but it might stay for the finished game.
some games need a centre post so I decided to make the centre post optional with a slight redesign. A recess in the playfield can be filled with a custom plug insert (post) or a custom rubber bump post - good for a drain monster if I have bad design luck or a add-on for when the kids want to play...
with

without

Smart move,you never know what you end up with..it might play great..it might be a draino

#150 6 years ago

or a wipeout ....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 10.00
$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

There are 405 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tube-time-custom-surfing-pin/page/3?hl=hassanchop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.