33%

(63 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20150617_184833_554.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Hey!

I'd like to know what you think is the best game between these 2. TSSP vs POTC
I know they really don't have the same deep rule set but for family and friends, which one should be the keeper?

#2 8 years ago

POTC is pretty challenging! You complete the compass for Four Winds Multiball (1st Wizard Mode) then complete that for Gauntlet (2nd Wizard Mode)

#3 8 years ago

money wise, is these 2 titles in the same ball park. If I had to trade my TSSP for a POTC (both game in excellent shape), it's a 1 for 1?
I think TSSP sales usually around 5K and POTC 3.5K? am I right?

#4 8 years ago

I'd say they're pretty darn close in value so if condition is equal between the 2 than yes, pretty much 1 for 1. I actually just had these 2 games sitting side by side in my collection and needed to sell 1 of them. Both "like new" condition and I listed them each for 4800. Sold TSPP first for 4500 so I'm happily keeping POTC. I actually prefer POTC even though it doesn't have as deep of a rule set as TSPP. It just has better sound, more fun shots, and is visually a gorgeous game. Just my preference.

#5 8 years ago

My friend picked up a HUO TSPP 6 months ago for $4k and im selling my HUO POTC w/ mods for $4.6k so the pricing can definitely vary.

#6 8 years ago

POTC ~$3.5-4k, TSPP ~$3.8-4.2k from what I've seen. It's not entirely 1 for 1, but mods/condition/etc will dictate that.

I like POTC more than TSPP. POTC is more approachable, TSPP is deeper.

#7 8 years ago

Owned a new tspp and solid it 8 months later. Potc is a keeper and has been in my collection for years. Excellent pin.

#8 8 years ago

TSPP for overall gameplay, rules and depth. Pricing is similar, 4-4500 huo.

#9 8 years ago

Tspp by a mile. If stern used the real voices and not voice actors for potc it would be different. I wanted to love POTC but the lack of samples from the actual actors kills it for me.

#10 8 years ago

I have both....LOVE both...(for different reasons).

TSPP for it depth
POTC...it's just one of those games that approachable to seasoned players as well as those that have never played a pin before.

Both pins have great artwork.

Neither of them will be leaving my collection any time soon, (if ever).

#11 8 years ago

Can't believe this one is close, TSPP is better in every single way. Art, dots, shots, rules, callouts, music, challenge, and longevity.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Can't believe this one is close, TSPP is better in every single way. Art, dots, shots, rules, callouts, music, challenge, and longevity.

POTC is definitely the better game for sinking ships.
But I like both !
IMG_20150617_184833_554.jpgIMG_20150617_184833_554.jpg

#13 8 years ago

You mentioned at the top, your concern is which is better for family and friends, so I'm guessing you mean the casual player. For this, I would choose POTC. Obviously not as deep as TSPP in rule set and use of strategy, POTC still does have some strategic moves that can be used by the advanced player (e.g. combining Tortuga MB and shots to the Tortuga disc with the Collect Crew mode to maximize Collect Crew value).

I feel POTC has a more forgiving playfield, most shots are near the back/middle, it doesn't have pop-bumpers 12cm from the flippers like TSPP, also easier to get a multiball; all things I think are appealing to the novice/casual player. But its still interesting enough to provide you a challenge, the person who will most likely play it the most.

I think TSPP is the better game, but for your specific scenario, POTC is the way to go.

#14 8 years ago

PotC is a very nice game, I have no problem with the voice actors and the quotes are fun.

PotC has the great sinking ship toy, and is great for beginner players, and the rules while easy to grasp and make decent progress, you need to play pretty good to get to wizard modes.

I don't have enough time on Tspp but IMO PotC is right there in the top of the middle tier of Stern games, in other words when asked to name their favorite Stern games, there was a clear top8 and PotC was just hanging outside that group.

TSPP is rated higher than PotC but they are both in the 5-10 range (according to some polls here on Pinside about the favorite Stern pins).

They are probably both equal on price and both fun to play, but I think PotC is better for new players and Tspp probably better for advanced players.

#15 8 years ago

POTC doesnt have the elements for a good long lasting collection game. The rules are way too linear and the game is pretty much limited to 3 shots (Tortuga, kraken, chest). It does however, have very fun multiball scoring and stacking play. It also has a much higher appeal to family and kids than TSPP. So if youre getting a game you could care less about but want to appease family, guests, and kids; then go with POTC. If you're after a pin that will keep your attention over a long lasting time, go TSPP.

#16 8 years ago

double post

#17 8 years ago

You really need to play and decide for yourself. Both games are pretty polarizing -- you either love or hate them.

I LOVE TSPP. I've owned one for years. It will never leave. Fantastic game with outstanding rules. Literally everything can be stacked. If you are having an epic day, you can have tons of modes running at the same time. I was in the zone one time and had the flipper reverse mode (cann't recall name right now) going and was starting and completing other modes at the same time with the reverse flippers. That was a blast.

I LOVE POTC -- at a friend's house. I would HATE to own it. I literally play one game when I see it and that's enough for me. Literally every shot results in a delay. It is the most stop and go game ever and has no flow. For me, one game is enough. I'll play it -- and last a LONG time --- and then walk away. Last time, I actually beat Davy Jones which was an accomplishment. The boat is cool, but the game is just too slow with too much stop and go for me.

#18 8 years ago

Thanks guys!
Very interesting. I love my TSPP and might keep it!
I already have lots of linear games with simple rule sets.
I think this one is unique!
I will try to own both!

#19 8 years ago

correction, the Jack the monkey ramp shot does not result in a delay, and it is possible for the left loop shot to to the left flipper although not often.

I know the rules of PotC are basic, but imo great for beginners, and people wanting to learn rules (easily).

I don't know Tspp but do know the rules are said to be confusing.

I own AcDc and love it but if you were to put a gun to my head I couldn't really explain more than half of the rules.

I'm not knocking complex rules but there is somethig to be said for a simple rule especially for new players.

4 years later
#20 4 years ago

What's the latest opinion on tspp vs potc? I don't have a lot of time on tspp but have a chance to pick one up. Potc would have to go if I wanted to keep it.

#21 4 years ago

Tspp. Easily.

#22 4 years ago

Owned both, fun games but I say neither. Play it till you get bored sell it and buy something new.

#23 4 years ago

4 years later.

I still own Potc (12 years plus) not that I think it’s the best game ever but just good all around game to me. Have only made it to 4 Winds wizard mode one time. It’s a bit of a grind to get there but fun shooting, good rules, great toys.

I have owned tspp probably 4 years. There is a lot (a lot) more to do in Tspp. Way more modes and more multiballs and side quests. It’s got lots of toys on the PF and nice ramps and very nice upper PF. Only game I have that comes close would be Woz.

IMO Potc is a very good solid pin and classic theme and toy ship. Great for beginners.

Tspp is a lot more advanced and deeper and wider in the rules. I have probably not seen even half of what this game has to offer.

#24 4 years ago

TSPP for me.

#25 4 years ago

Between TSPP and POTC I would definitely keep my TSPP.
The only game in that price range that I would trade for it os LOTR. Fun, deep fast and challenging, and surely a better flow game.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

Between TSPP and POTC I would definitely keep my TSPP.
The only game in that price range that I would trade for it os LOTR. Fun, deep fast and challenging, and surely a better flow game.

I bought Tspp and LotR both around the same time but sold LotR because didn’t play that as much. I’d still buy a LotR again but prefer Tspp a little bit better for some reason.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I bought Tspp and LotR both around the same time but sold LotR because didn’t play that as much. I’d still buy a LotR again but prefer Tspp a little bit better for some reason.

One thing I didn't mention, is that I like the Simpsons show a lot, the quotes and calls in the pinball are really funny. I'm not a big fan of the LOTR saga and it's not exactly the funniest pinball around so beating the Mordor or whatever else doesn't move me much.

#28 4 years ago

TSPP has a lot going on. better rules, better layout. POTC is kind of a shitmess in the rules department. SHit just happens and you don't care why. Definitely not laid out in a way so you are trying for something specific besides sinking the ship. Everything else just kind of happens from accidently shooting them. TSPP is a far superior game.

#29 4 years ago

There is no better theme integration than tspp, it’s a true masterpiece, especially if your are a fan of the show. Amazing and deep rule set, great call outs. Owned mine sine 2003, don’t play it much, but I’ll never sell it. It’s very mode based and ball times can be long. Potc is just kind of blah.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

7,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY
$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

€ 18.00
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 45.00
6,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 16.00
$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pearl River, NY
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

€ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tssp-vs-potc?hl=tres and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.