• 16 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by insight75
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Hi all,
Not sure why this is happening......when I turn my TSPP..... all coils and flashers continuously fire about ever second. Its stuck in some sort of boot loop or something. Any ideas on what I should check? I pulled the eprom and installed a known good one.....no change. Also pulled all wire connectors going to the CPU board and reinstalled....no difference.

#2 3 years ago

First thing is figure out how far it’s getting in the boot process.
https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Sega/Stern_White_Star_Repair#MPU_boot_issues

(Disconnect your pf so you don’t burn anything)

#3 3 years ago

OK thanks. Will check this out and report back.

#4 3 years ago

Possible battery leakage?

Every weird boot up Issue I’ve ever seen on a white star is battery damage - even incredibly faint.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Possible battery leakage?
Every weird boot up Issue I’ve ever seen on a white star is battery damage - even incredibly faint.

Will remove the board to have a good look to see if anything from the past may have been an issue. Good news is I don't have batteries in there. NVRAM installed a while back.

#6 3 years ago

Nothing obvious on the board. All looks ok. It actually boots all the way. When I press start it indicates "insert coin". Nothing off on the display. The flashers continue to flash on and off and coils will fire (although I now leave the coin door open). I blew F21 but that is because all of those coils were firing and I couldn't shut it quick enough. Also, Rottendog SDB004 driver board just installed about 5 months ago.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from insight75:

Nothing obvious on the board. All looks ok. It actually boots all the way. When I press start it indicates "insert coin". Nothing off on the display. The flashers continue to flash on and off and coils will fire (although I have now leave the coin door open). I blew F21 but that is because all of those coils were firing and I couldn't shut it quick enough. Also, Rottendog SDB004 driver board just installed about 5 months ago.

Ah. Rottendog.

Do you have another driver you can swap in there?

#8 3 years ago

I have the original one I could put in. Rottendog bad???

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#9 3 years ago

Only issue is a failed transistor swap but I could pull it so it won't fire the coil.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from insight75:

I have the original one I could put in. Rottendog bad???

The Q/A on the rottendog stuff is all over the map.

I would just say swap the other board in and see if the problem persists. Just a quick and easy way to either find the problem or rule out that it's the board.

#11 3 years ago

OK will do. Thanks.

#12 3 years ago

OK. With the old board in, the flashers and coils are no longer firing. That seemed to fix the issue although now none of the coils work when I start a game! Just checked fuses....all good.

#13 3 years ago

Showing 74 volts at the coils!!!! What would cause it to be so high?

#14 3 years ago

The Rottendog board works just fine in another machine. I believe it's the CPU board causing the issue.

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from insight75:

The Rottendog board works just fine in another machine. I believe it's the CPU board causing the issue.

Maybe you got one of those to swap?

I do think it’s a cpu issue also

#16 3 years ago

Yes. For some reason I'm paranoid to swap the eproms but that is likely the best thing to do. I can't imagine it being anything else. Any ideas on where I could find one for a decent price? All I'm seeing is 399 brand new. Is that the best I'm going to find on one of these?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
6,899 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sioux Falls, SD
$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MA
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.00
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 218.00
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

7,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 16.00
$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tsppturn-machine-on-and-all-coils-and-flashers-fire-continuously and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.