Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tube.JPG
#1 11 years ago

translite bulb stopped working, so switched out the bulb, but still no light! The original bulb was a 20W 24", I put in an 18W 24", does it have to be a 20W only?

Thanks!

Lee

#2 11 years ago

It sounds like your condenser is possibly out. Luckily, they're cheap and easy to replace.

There's a cylindrical part about 1/2" to 3/4" in diameter in the upper left corner of the backbox (I think). Follow the wires. Twist it out and take it to Home Depot. They should have a replacement for you there.

If that's not it, it's the ballast, but my guess is it's your condenser.

1 week later
#3 11 years ago

STILL cant get this damn backbox light to come on, purchased a 30-40 W condenser/fluorescent starter and a new 18 W bulb (originals were 30 W starter and 20W bulb), but NO light.

Any ideas? Do I absolutely need same stats in parts to get it to work? (30W starter & 20W bulb)

Help! Many thanks

Lee

#4 11 years ago

Check to see if the 120v supply is still plugged in. If you follow the black supply wires from the transformer over and down the left side of the back box there is a crimp on wire disconnect about half way down. This has come apart in my TSPP before leading me to much consternation before I actually figured it out. Solid troubleshooting technique on my part, with a multimeter, would have easily found it in about 30 seconds but for whatever reason I farted around replacing components to no avail.

#6 11 years ago

check ballast as well....had to replace one on my Shrek machine a while back before I sold it.

#7 11 years ago

There's nothing to that circuit - ballast, starter, tube. If you change the tube and starter and still have nothing then the ballast is bad.

You can get the correct ballast at Home Cheapo for about $7.

viperrwk

#8 11 years ago

THANK YOU everybody, BUT, where the heck is it in the cab? Have yet to locate it.

Also, am I safe with a 18W bulb (original 20W) and 20-30W fluorescent starter?

Lee

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from deafdumbkid:

THANK YOU everybody, BUT, where the heck is it in the cab? Have yet to locate it.

If you mean the ballast, it should be in the upper right of the head. See the link below. Above the caution sticker. If needed, follow the wires from the starter and the bulb sockets.

http://ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=4674&picno=47533&zoom=1

No polarity for a ballast, but it is high voltage. I solder and shrink wrap new ones. One or both sides may need to be tinned before soldering them together.

Quoted from deafdumbkid:

Probably not. All the parts are cheap. Find a similar ballast, then pick a bulb size listed for it. Starter too.

#10 11 years ago

You need an FS-2 starter. It's made for 14 watt to 20 watt bulbs.

#11 11 years ago

Had the same issue on my RFM last week, used the FS-2 from my TSPP to test it out and it worked fine. I have had to replace the ballast on a friends Spider-man though, and they're about $6 at Home Depot. Takes minutes to swap out, just turn the game off while you do it.

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from deafdumbkid:

Lee

Section 4, chapter 1, page 60 of the manual. Item 11 (10 in the pic) is the starter and 12 is the ballast:

http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/4674/Stern_2003_The_Simpsons_Pinball_Party_Manual.pdf

viperrwk

#13 11 years ago

I've started switching mine over to LED:

http://www.polar-ray.com/24-LED-T8-Tube--Frosted-Diffuser_p_181.html

The color is a bit cooler than flourescent, but it's nice to have the backglass light up immediately. Don't forget to bypass the ballast if you do this.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Don't forget to bypass the ballast if you do this.

If the LED tube is "inductive ballast-compatible" then all you have to do is pull the starter and install.

Nonetheless, bypassing the ballast is a good thing because it saves energy and you'd have to pull the ballast anyway and rewire once the ballast goes bad.

viperrwk

#15 11 years ago

ballast is in top upper left corner of the back box.

#16 11 years ago

Hmmm, can I simply use the above LED bulb after removing my starter? Or would ballast have to come out?

Thanks!

Lee

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from deafdumbkid:

Hmmm, can I simply use the above LED bulb after removing my starter? Or would ballast have to come out?
Thanks!
Lee

I believe that is correct. The ballast is the transformer that gives the voltage that you need. The starter is the part that is flourescent specific.

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from deafdumbkid:

Thanks!
Lee

No.

The page says must remove ballast before installing and does not say inductive ballast compatible from what I can see.

There are other tubes out there that all you would need to do is remove the starter.

viperrwk

#19 11 years ago

Thanks Viper! Any links to a tube that only requires starter remover?

Lee

#20 11 years ago

Actually, just ordered that bulb

removing Ballast - any advice on doing safely? never removed one, dont wanna mess anything up, kind of dont yet see how it removes yet.........How does it release? That is how is it secured? Thanks guys, any help appreciated

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from deafdumbkid:

removing Ballast - any advice on doing safely? never removed one, dont wanna mess anything up, kind of dont yet see how it removes yet.........How does it release? That is how is it secured? Thanks guys, any help appreciated

Removal should just be dealing with some screws, wire nuts, and twisted wire. Most of them aren't much more secured than that. I guess you could run into some solder, but there's nothing really complicated about replacing these. Just put the new one in the exact same way as the old one, and you'll be good.

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from deafdumbkid:

Sorry missed your earlier post - too much action on this forum...

You're better off pulling the ballast anyway. As Jar said it's easy. Follow the link I posted earlier that shows you where the ballast is located. There are two wires that come from the ballast that are connected on each side by a wire nut. Undo the nuts, remove the ballast, connect the two remaining loose wires with a wire nut. Pull the starter - done. Instant light, lower power consumption, less heat in the backbox. Bob's you're uncle.

viperrwk

#23 11 years ago

I don't remove the ballast; I just bypass it (disconnect the wires) so it's easy to reverse the change. I'll try to take a few pics tomorrow.

#24 11 years ago

CHRIST this is frustrating

disconnected wires for ballast (thanks swampfire), removed the starter, put in the new LED bulb, fired up STILL NO BACKLIGHT. I've checked every connection I can. Any ideas? Does the backlight bulb have a dedicated fuse? Are the fixtures bad?

Thanks, HELP

Lee

#25 11 years ago

What voltage are you seeing at the contacts?

#26 11 years ago

Ah...it's not enough to disconnect the ballast, you have to bypass it. I'll snap a picture when I get home.

#27 11 years ago

Whether you leave the ballast in place or not is up to you but you must complete the circuit after disconnecting the ballast. That's why you must connect the loose wires that previously went to the ballast.

There is nothing to the circuit. Here's the wiring diagram if that helps.

viperrwk

tube.JPGtube.JPG

#28 11 years ago

realized it right before I read your post, thanks, a pic would be awesome

Lee

#29 11 years ago

ah, so its just the black to the red, the 2 capped wires?.........

#30 11 years ago

Ah - nothing like newbies fiddling with the mains wiring - I would suggest caution and if in doubt get an electrician or technician to do it and perhaps show you for next time.

Don't end up frizzled or with a fire on your hands for the sake of $50

#31 11 years ago
Quoted from deafdumbkid:

ah, so its just the black to the red, the 2 capped wires?.........

Yes - when you disconnect the ballast you break the circuit - joining the black wire that was on one side of the ballast to the red wire on the other completes it again.

viperrwk

#32 11 years ago

Had a SST do this and it was the starter. Went to Home Depot and bought a new one. Works fine now.

#33 11 years ago

circuit complete, working like a champ, thanks everyone, excuse my obtuse electronics skill building

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from deafdumbkid:

circuit complete, working like a champ, thanks everyone, excuse my obtuse electronics skill building

A photo to see how it illuminates the backbox would be nice...

viperrwk

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MA
$ 16.00
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 18.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

9,899 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 218.00
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tsppstern-backbox-flourescent-replacement-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.