(Topic ID: 163808)

TSPP won't boot. L204 off when MPU connected, +5 LED & L200 lit on MPU

By KeithinMI

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

So my TSPP which was working fine before we very carefully moved it to another room. No cables were pinched, nothing is loose in the head. Checked all connectors to make sure that they were all seated properly.

Now when I power it up, I get GI, but no boot. On MPU L204 and the +5V LEDs are both lit when the game is powered on.

Fuses on driver board all test good.

+5 is present on MPU, +12/-12/+5 are all present on both driver board and MPU, and within spec. (Yes, I know the watchdog won't take the MPU out of boot if there is, say, +4.75vDC or less on the +5 logic line and there is +5.08V there).

If I disconnect the MPU from the driver board, L204 will flash (blanking LED), if I connect the MPU, L204 goes out (which indicates that the MPU is holding the driver board in "reset" state).

After powering on if i disconnect the DMD, the DMD will boot and display the boot rom (A.500). As near as I can tell with my cheapie 'scope, I have the 6MHz and 24MHz clock signals on the test points on the MPU.

No acid damage from batteries on board (always new batteries in it, and a replaced battery holder (old one had one of the - terminal springs break off of it). VBatt is present when board is powered off and all 3 batteries test good.

Any suggestions to test before I send it off to Jerry?

TIA

#2 7 years ago

ok, so here's an update. After spending an hour meticulously looking at the solder connections on the MPU/sound board, I figured I'd reinstall it and measure more voltages. Lo and behold the game boots up fine. But only for about 3-4 minutes, and then L204 goes out (it's solid when the game is running), and all that's left are the GI on. I can generally get it to boot up if I turn it off and let everything go cold.

Thermal failure? But what is causing it? I watched the +5 dc on my scope, and it doesn't change at all, even when the mpu drops into reset (and L204 goes out)

Urg.

#3 7 years ago

Do you have any other games with a Whitestar board set? It would be good to swap the CPU board to help narrow down the problem.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from KeithinMI:

Thermal failure?

Quoted from KeithinMI:

I can generally get it to boot up if I turn it off and let everything go cold.

Sounds like it is a thermal failure. You could get some freeze spray and start in the reset section once the game fails to see if you can bring it back to life. You should be able to spray a 4x4 area then work your way down to a single part if you find an area that you can consistently get it to fire back up without turning the game off and back on.

Though first, I would reseat all the connectors and ribbon cables in the game just to see what happens.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pearl River, NY
$ 45.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 218.00
$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

9,899 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 174.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tspp-wont-boot-l204-off-when-mpu-connected-5-led-l200-lit-on-mpu and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.