(Topic ID: 10033)

TSPP - Well, that was easy

By robertmee

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 12 years ago

With the help of DevilInIron and his brother was able to get my TSPP brought into the house yesterday. Busy, so didn't raise the head or plug it in until this morning. First game, I don't know what I'm doing just kind of flailing away, mostly hitting the garage and couch over and over. Before I know it, I'm on Alien Invasion....First ball. I managed to lock 3, then 4 balls, but couldn't ever get five locked at once. Back and forth for what seemed like 5 minutes.

I guess I'm a little surprised and maybe disappointed? I thought AI on TSPP was a difficult goal? Or is it just 'winning' AI is difficult? Ended up with around 200M....

Don't get me wrong, after finishing the game, I went and read the rule sheet and see there's tons to do, but for some reason, with the exception of SDEWM, I thought AI was the next difficult mode to reach.

Oh, and what exactly does the multi-light plastic in the back indicate. Alien Invasion is on the bottom. I had all of them lit, one blinking...Is that an indication of some kind of mode(s) completion?

Looking forward to learning more on this game.

#2 12 years ago

Well, if you get sick of it, i know gonefishin would probably be interested.

Congrats on what i believe is a monster first game? I've only played a well worn TSPP in a dark bar with the GI out, so i couldn't do jack-squat for a score.

#3 12 years ago

Sorry, but getting to AI isn't extremely difficult. I'm not a great player and I kind of suck at TSPP, and I've gotten there. 200M is a good score though. As you said, there's tons to do. Give it a little time and study the rulesheet.

#4 12 years ago

It depends on what the adjustments are set to as well. Theres adjustments for how and when the garage opens,how you light tv mode and how or when locks are lit that can be a real pain if you want it to be. I have gotten to AI level 3 but never finished it.

#5 12 years ago

Aw, man. I should have checked here before I left to pickup the SoF translite from you. I would have begged you for a quick game, Robert. I haven't yet got the multi-ball on SoF, but my brother has.

#6 12 years ago

I agree with those that mentioned it's all in the settings. Hell, if you've got the game set to 5 ball it would be VERY easy to reach AI.

#7 12 years ago
Quoted from catboxer:

I agree with those that mentioned it's all in the settings. Hell, if you've got the game set to 5 ball it would be VERY easy to reach AI.

No, it's three ball and I got it in the FIRST ball...

So, what does the billboard in the back with all the lights indicate....As mentioned, all but one was on, one blinking...AI (the bottom one was off) even though I had reached AI but didn't get the 5th ball locked.

#8 12 years ago

And what's the best adjustment? Tournament mode? Does that pretty much set it to everything that's needed. I really bought the game for my 6 year old too (that's my story anyway ) so I'd like to find a good balance for him and myself.

#9 12 years ago
Quoted from DEVILinIRON:

Aw, man. I should have checked here before I left to pickup the SoF translite from you. I would have begged you for a quick game, Robert. I haven't yet got the multi-ball on SoF, but my brother has.

Anytime you want to stop by, lemme know

#10 12 years ago

Tournament mode makes it easier for Invasion since the software will award light TV Mode as the Mystery Award (given away when the garage is entered if the award was lit by hitting the red target on the mini playfield) unless the clock is running low (in which case it will award more time) or light TV has been lit 3 or 4 times in succession through the mystery award. Invasion itself can be quite difficult to complete but I think it depends a lot on the difficulty of the game itself. How many balls brick out of the garage into the pops? Do balls pop back out of I&S often or do they settle in nicely? I completed it two times in a row once and haven't done it since. I need to tune up my machine though too.

#11 12 years ago

Did you get to the Mode where the Flipper Button's are Crossed ? Rob , You Must be an Exceptional Pin Player to do All that on ball 1.. Just Rem- When you Tire of it , there are Other's interested. And the Pin is a Beauty too.. The Top Score on TSPP was 500K , have you beat that yet ?

#12 12 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

So, what does the billboard in the back with all the lights indicate.

The yellow board at the back indicates which modes have been started, completed, are running, and what is up next. To reach Alien Invasion, all you have to do is start each mode. Completing each mode is another objective.

#13 12 years ago

I would reset to factory and turn on competition mode. Very easy and easy is to easy but maybe ok for your son. You can get to AI from the mini playfield alone and you dont have to relight otto etc.

#14 12 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Anytime you want to stop by, lemme know

I surely will. I think I should probably hone my skills a bit first on this SoF, so I don't make a fool of myself the next time I come over.

#15 12 years ago

DeVIL-- If you Type any smaller , I'm Gonna have to get my Read-n Glasses...

#16 12 years ago

I find that some of my best games are my first for whatever reason. When I first picked up Flash I scored 576k, while that's probably nothing for a lot of you - I haven't been able to beat that score yet. It's kind of annoying, because when I scored it I didn't realize the significance of the score, so I wasn't exactly excited. I had sort of the same feeling as Robert, "well that was easy".

As far as TSPP - I've only gotten the chance to play on a poorly maintained machine with weak flippers. On that game the couch shot was practically impossible. The game has so much to do, a lot of times I was at a loss on where to start - but starting modes on that particular game was a real challenge since the upper flippers weren't working properly..

#17 12 years ago

No, AI isn't particularly difficult to start, all you have to do is start all of the TV modes. Finishing it isn't so easy. I'd argue that the second most difficult mode to start apart from SDEWM is Pretzel Multiball. For the record, I've achieved neither!

#18 12 years ago
Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

DeVIL-- If you Type any smaller , I'm Gonna have to get my Read-n Glasses...

Heheh, sorry. The way I quote somehow screws up the text that I write.

#19 12 years ago

Alien Invasion!!! Congrats, the best I've done was 5 TV modes with a score of 25 million.

#20 12 years ago

Yeah, pretzel sounds tough...26 cletus ramps

#21 12 years ago

I've got a ToM I'm looking to trade for a TSPP

#22 12 years ago

I dunno....Played my second game and AI again...And one TV mode from getting it twice in one game (if that's possible). Much lower score at 132M tho...

Question...On current settings, I can hit the TV in the upper PF, and instead of then hitting into the couch, I can purposely miss and hit the TV starting a second mode concurrently. I think I had four or five TV modes running at the same time doing this. Is that normal? I did notice the second time around, it was harder to get all the TV modes...

Still don't know what I'm doing

#23 12 years ago
Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

Did you get to the Mode where the Flipper Button's are Crossed ? Rob , You Must be an Exceptional Pin Player to do All that on ball 1.. Just Rem- When you Tire of it , there are Other's interested. And the Pin is a Beauty too.. The Top Score on TSPP was 500K , have you beat that yet ?
» YouTube video

Yeah, my second game I hit the freakout mode...Pretty fun. Just crossed hands and played like normal

#24 12 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

On current settings, I can hit the TV in the upper PF, and instead of then hitting into the couch, I can purposely miss and hit the TV starting a second mode concurrently. I think I had four or five TV modes running at the same time doing this. Is that normal?

No, and there is the reason you are getting AI so easily. Normally you need to hit the Crusty spinner and loop to enable a TV mode to start again. After hitting the spinner/loop, you then need to open and enter the garage or hit the treehouse ramp to get back to the upper playfield, and get the ball under the TV to start another mode. And of course you have to do this while you are also trying to complete the currently running mode(s).

You need to reset the game back to factory settings and give it some play that way.

#25 12 years ago

Okay thanks! I thought it was too dang easy

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#26 12 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Question...On current settings, I can hit the TV in the upper PF, and instead of then hitting into the couch, I can purposely miss and hit the TV starting a second mode concurrently. I think I had four or five TV modes running at the same time doing this. Is that normal? I did notice the second time around, it was harder to get all the TV modes...

That's TV Difficulty set to "extra easy". The prior owner may have at some point installed extra easy or easy on the game making lots of things easier than they "should" be (of course, that's why there are adjustments). If I were you I'd just to an install factory (don't have to do a factory reset if you don't want) and see what you think from there.

And yes, the 2nd time through an "extra easy" setting it advances to "easy" which is "lit at ball start, but have to shoot spinner lane to relight". "Easy" is actually the default setting for tv modes.

#27 12 years ago

Extra easy is sooooooo easy lol. Install factory and if thats to hard, was for me, add competition mode. I also add 3 second ball save cause the default is off which is a SOB. I cant shoot that right orbit to save my life, I always hit Bart or I&S instead.

#28 12 years ago

Man up and get those TV setting changed, no wonder it was so easy to get to AI Haha

#29 12 years ago

I've got mine set to defaults but 6 sec ball saver. Best score is 155mil. No wonder why you thought it was way too easy. Even couch multi ball is hard to get a 2nd time, as you have to hit the 2 standUps to lite the lock for each ball.

Am I missing something about pretzel multi ball? How can you earn Cletus kids on purpose? It seems like the only way to get them is to fail at shooting through the garage to the VUK.

#30 12 years ago

Yeah, if you shoot the left orbit from the right flipper up through the jet bumpers it awards a Cletus kid. I think you need 27 for Pretzel Multiball..

#31 12 years ago

Changed....Yeah, don't know who the prior owner was, but they was a puss j/k if he's on here

#32 12 years ago

My rbion was set on easy by the previous owner, same thing, had Atlantis lit on first ball. Turned it off before it started, as I didn't want to spoil it for when I really got there.

On default, with having to relight the modes, AI still isn't too hard to get to, but it's only one of many mini wizard modes. I've only completed it 3 times though, key is to really focus on the mini PF early in each phase.

TSPP gameplay is like chess compared to checkers for other machines.

#33 12 years ago

Yeah, even though I feel a bit cheated now having reached AI under false pretenses, the mode itself is quite challenging. Both times I achieved 4 ball lock only to fall back to 3 and even 2 once. Key for me was to pop the ball immediately back into I&S, and then hit as many into the garage and lock up top while just keeping any ball alive below. Then hitting the right loop. Not sure in 5 ball where to park the fifth ball...gotta bone up on the rules.

I did get to 20 cletus kids on one game...pretzel mb will be one I'll focus on in the upcoming games.

#34 12 years ago

its a great game that really grew on me, congrats and enjoy.

#35 12 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Not sure in 5 ball where to park the fifth ball...gotta bone up on the rules.

Isn't it I&S, Otto, Garage, TV, and couch? I can't remember either, even after watching Bowen's vid a dozen times - I always will get up to one more TV mode for AI, and then drain uncontrollably - doesn't matter if it's ball 1 or if I have an extra ball, pretty much game over for me when I get close to starting AI, haha.

#36 12 years ago

TSPP is such a great pin and my first!!!!

#37 12 years ago

Getting that fifth and final ball locked to complete AI is exponentially harder than locking the fourth ball. I've only completed it once. It is incredibly nerve racking, like stopping the powerplant from exploding. AI not too difficult to get to, nearly impossible to defeat.

The first handful of times I played TSPP I thought it was rather easy as well. Boy was I wrong.

#38 12 years ago
Quoted from kwiKimart:

TSPP is such a great pin and my first!!!!

This was my first pin too. I got it in November, have it set to 5 ball with ball saver, and still have yet to break 100M. I cant count the number of times I've gotten everything set up for AI on my 5th ball, and then drained it....Doh! That's what is so great though...I don't want to own pins that I get bored with because they are too easy. I have been playing pinball for over 30 years and think this is the best game ever made. I want to start getting some PF mods now....there are plenty out there for it. Anyone know if they are still making the light up Moe's sign?

#39 12 years ago

I cant break 100M either! I just finished a game, 3 ball+fact setting+comp mode+3 second ball save and ended at 80M. That was probably the best game I've played on any pinball machine and only a lowly 80M. I got to AI, mystery spot, nuke disaster, multiball with I&S before ball 2 thanks to a few extra balls lol.

#40 12 years ago

Don't feel bad Winball_Pizard, my best game is 70.5 million. It was a pretty long game too, but if you don't hit the right shots at the right times, the points don't come very easily.

#41 12 years ago

To get a good score on TSPP you have to get double scoring lit on multiple shots and complete TV modes for victory laps. If you can get those things lined up, keep the clock running and start a multiball or two, you can score a million or more for shots all over the playfield—it adds up real quick. Playing for Invasion isn't really the best way to get a big score, Invasion itself is only worth like 20M if you complete it IIRC.

#42 12 years ago

I think I need to re re re-read the rules again lol

#43 12 years ago

The first repeat pin I've owned. Great game.

#44 12 years ago

All last balls in any of the AI stages can be locked anywhere I believe, including the 5th. My highest is 220M, and still that had I believe only 3 of the mini wizard modes completed. I'm still no where near reaching the end.

#45 12 years ago

The inserts in the car of each character...Do you only get those for completing a mini-wizard mode?

I always get Maggie, and other times I'll see another character blinking (assuming I guess I'm in that mode), but then the blinking goes away and they never light. Still learning so much with this pin.

Ah...never mind. Found it:

They are used during couch lock multiball. Lock three balls in the couch in
upper playfield to start this multiball. Object of this multiball is to
shoot more balls into the couch while you still have two or more balls in
play. Each time you shoot a ball into the couch once you have started
multiball, it will light up one of the character inserts in the middle of
the playfield in the car. Note that as mutliball starts, the first
character to be lit if you make the couch shot is flashing (I believe it's
Maggie). Make the shot and the character (Maggie) will become solidly lit
and the next character (I think that's Bart but might be Lisa) will start
flashing. You try and make this shot five times to light all the characters
and complete this task on the way to the ultimate, impossible to get to,
wizard mode.

#46 12 years ago

It's a tough thing to do, as you can't just cradle a second ball and hold it, as you need both flippers to make this combination shot. The game's depth just goes on and on. I just had a 114m game, but couldn't lock the 5th ball on AI.

Have you done the reversed flipper Mystery Spot yet? Cross your hands, makes it a lot easier.

#47 12 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Have you done the reversed flipper Mystery Spot yet? Cross your hands, makes it a lot easier.

Yep, a few times now....Lot's of fun and yes that's exactly what I do. Back in the day, during my em days, we used to have contests on playing an entire game reverse handed.

#48 12 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

It's a tough thing to do, as you can't just cradle a second ball and hold it, as you need both flippers to make this combination shot.

You can, somewhat....If you cradle the ball on the right flipper, you can hit the TV spot with the left. Then quickly do a lane pass to the left flipper from the right with the lower ball while the upper ball is sitting in TV (there's always a delay there). Then your right flipper is ready to hit the couch on TV release.

Not saying it's easy, but it could work.

#49 12 years ago

I will say, that this is the first game I've owned where it is imperative to be able to manage the upper PF AND lower PF at the same time, with the upper PF locks taking priority. Most times, it's the lower PF and whatever happens in the upper is bonus. Now, I find myself concentrating on the upper, and with my peripheral vision just keeping the ball alive down below.

My other games have tough multiballs too (MSF and CFTBL), but both can be accomplished with static cradles (MSF hitting the jackpots, CFTBL searching the tunnels). And CFTBL has the additional feature of 'parking' a ball in the long ramp/bowl during MB while searching the tunnels.

TSPP is just a whole 'nother beast and I'm enjoying it.

#50 12 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Not saying it's easy, but it could work.

Which is what I do, but that is the beauty, can't just coast with one flipper like you can on most games in multiball.

You have to really think out and accurately shoot ever shot as well. If you fling around the ball and don't take your time, I find game times are about as long as others. When you really concentrate, and plan every shot, that is when I get the 100M-200M+ games.

The machine is a powerhouse.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Youngstown, OH
8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cherry Hills Village, CO
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

7,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tspp-well-that-was-easy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.