Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 134 posts
  • 53 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by konghusker
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

There are 134 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 7 years ago

With a budget of around $5-6.5k, I'm torn on what to go after. Theme-wise, I'm a HUGE Simpsons and TWD fan. I'd like to stay toward the lower end of the budget, but this will only be my second machine so I need something that will hold my interest (TS certainly has!). I've played all on location and enjoyed each one, but haven't had the chance to get too deep in any of them. Which would you choose?

Thanks!

#2 7 years ago

definitely twd. One of the best games ever made

#3 7 years ago

My first choice would be TWD my second choice would be TSPP and my third choice would be GB so I say go with TWD

#4 7 years ago

TSPP would be my first choice. Awesome game that never gets old.

#5 7 years ago

Walking dead is garbage sorry. I would say GB as I have a two game setup as well and gb fits real well although I'm a HUUUUUGE GB fan. Based on how you love the Simpsons I would say that game as it's deep. I just can't deal with the annoying call outs/dohs.

#6 7 years ago

Simspons is THE package. TWD doesn't do anything for me (don't like the toys or theme), but I enjoy it well enough on location and enough people vouch for the rules that I gotta give it props. GB is the worst game I've ever seen come out of Stern, and it's my favorite theme. It's a horribly designed, repetitive nightmare. Stay far away.

#7 7 years ago

TWD , GB, and then TSPP........ In all honesty TSPP looks cool, best theme for me, more STUFF than the other two combined, and is very deep but it never draws me back for one more game. Sold it and have no regrets. Clunky, lethargic, and a total stop and go fest. Only flowing shot is Moes to right orbit.

#8 7 years ago

TWD is awesome - I highly recommend the Premium, but the Pro is still great and less $$$

#9 7 years ago

My recommendation... go find them on location and play them more. Pick the one that you can't stop pumping money into

#10 7 years ago

TSPP for sure. Especially if you love the theme. I just got a great huo TSPP last week, and everyone loves it. It's definitely one you need in home to progress on.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Walking dead is garbage sorry. I would say GB as I have a two game setup as well and gb fits real well although I'm a HUUUUUGE GB fan. Based on how you love the Simpsons I would say that game as it's deep. I just can't deal with the annoying call outs/dohs.

Cmon delt, garbage? With the code on that game no one honestly thinks it's garbage maybe just not your thing

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Cmon delt, garbage? With the code on that game no one honestly thinks it's garbage maybe just not your thing

Yup. And the "lack of flow" complaint about TSPP is just looking at the playfield in a vacuum and not looking at how the actual gameplay functions. There is a beautiful flow to TSPP - it may not be Steve Ritchie flow, but the logic of shot A to B to C to D, etc - is very satisfying- you link combos on TSPP. A game without flow couldn't set you up for combos.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Zach right? I like your videos on YouTube (SDTM)

You're right - garbage to me but I know many like it. I just don't like it - I really don't get it as the game always feel flat and redundant. Just my two cents. People say the same with GB and it boggles my mind

#14 7 years ago

I'd choose TWD for it's awesomeness (great overall package with epic coding) and being a tougher shorter game-time pin. These are my general play style preferences too.

I'd chose TSPP if I wanted a longer game time pin with more stop and go. Long game-time pins just don't suit my preferences (and time) as much. Although I do like to have variety in a collection, so a long game-time pin, while a minority in my collection, is still nice to have.

GB for me is like TWD but with less awesomeness.

GL OP. There is no wrong answer, just personal preferences. Each one of those pins has its fans.

#15 7 years ago

I have TWD and GB Prem, and I owned TSPP in the past, so I feel pretty objective on this one.

My pick would be The Walking Dead. The code is great, it's challenging, and it's an adrenaline rush. It's badass. Do the sound replacement mod to put the cherry on top, and you're looking at one of the most immersive and addictive games I've ever played.

Next, I'd recommend TSPP. Like RH said, it's the complete package. Deep rules, and a lot of fun.

Ghostbusters is quite possibly the best "looking" game ever, but the code isn't where it needs to be just yet. If you go with it, I think it's important to weigh in the fact that you're taking a bit of a gamble (will they ditch the linear modes? If not, will it drive you nuts?). Lots of people don't like the design. I don't have a problem with it, but you'll need to do some modifications to make it play well: like an airball protector over the left ramp, sling protectors/extensions to avoid jumps over the lanes, and a 1 5/8" hex spacer to replace the 2" one on the right ramp... assuming you're talking about a Prem/LE. Once I did those things, the game played 100X better.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Zach right? I like your videos on YouTube (SDTM)
You're right - garbage to me but I know many like it. I just don't like it - I really don't get it as the game always feel flat and redundant. Just my two cents. People say the same with GB and it boggles my mind

Thanks buddy! I'm a big gb fan as well

#17 7 years ago

TWD PRO and save yourself $1700

#18 7 years ago

I would say TWD pro first choice and Tspp if you can get one in great shape.

TWD pro is fantastic, I don't have much time on TWD premium but you mentioned a budget, that's something to consider because you will want to addd Color DMD which is another $400 for Tspp ($415 for TWD because of the adapter) +$20 shipping.

Tspp (IMO) will never get old and if you are a big fan that's great, TWD is much more brutal and may be more fun if you like a game that fights back and the rules are also great.

I never played GB

#19 7 years ago

I own TWDLE and GBLE. I would go with TWD - GB - TSPP. TSPP is a good value buy though.

#20 7 years ago

After rereading your initial post, I would definitely narrow it down to TSPP vs TWD. You love both themes, and both are $1500-2000 less than GB. At that point it comes down to style of game you want. TSPP is longer play time, deeper rules, and funny. TWD is fast, good rules, and brutal. I would pick the one that is most different from anything else you own. Again, I really have a new respect for the value TSPP can provide. GL.

#21 7 years ago

Another vote for TWD pro, then TSPP. Not a fan of GB at all. It's a drainfest for no apparent reason other than to make it "difficult." TWD is difficult due to ruleset and layout, not huge gaping drain lanes. Plus, cost-wise both will be on the bottom end of your budget, unless you can find a good deal on TSPP.

TSPP has a great theme, callouts, and shots. Would love to own both at some point.

#22 7 years ago

TSPP. Universal theme everyone loves. The one in my house will never leave

#23 7 years ago

i'd say none. get some variety and buy something different than a stern DMD.

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

i'd say none. get some variety and buy something different than a stern DMD.

great answer - the guy says he's narrowed it down to 3 and then you decide his options are all bad and to pick something else. Classy.

#25 7 years ago

I owned TWD Prem for a year. Code is deep... lighting and sound are awesome. I've played both pro and premium and disagree with others saying the Pro is a better game.

All that being said, I was ready to move the game after a year. Had fun with it but was ready for something else. If I were picking among the 3, I'd go Simpsons...

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#26 7 years ago

TWD Premium is a slam dunk here...best thing Stern has ever put out.

I don't view the other games as even being that close.

Ghostbusters has too many frustrating flaws.

Simpsons has great rules and code...but gameplay is clunky, slow, and ball times are way too long unless you are into 30 minute or longer games all the time.

#28 7 years ago

I own TWDLE, GBLE and TSPP. All totally different in play.
TSPP is one of the best value games out there. All three are staying in my collection. If I could only keep one, TWDLE would be the one I wouldn't let go of.
You can't go wrong with any of them. All three are great pins in my opinion. Great choices!

#29 7 years ago

TSPP! Given the fact you mentioned wanting to stay at the low end of your budget it's really a no brainer. One of the best value pins out there.

If you want some more time on one let me know you can play mine, it has a color DMD too.

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Simspons is THE package. TWD doesn't do anything for me (don't like the toys or theme), but I enjoy it well enough on location and enough people vouch for the rules that I gotta give it props. GB is the worst game I've ever seen come out of Stern, and it's my favorite theme. It's a horribly designed, repetitive nightmare. Stay far away.

Somehow I knew you would be here bashing Ghostbusters again. We know how you feel. All of pinside knows...

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Somehow I knew you would be here bashing Ghostbusters again. We know how you feel. All of pinside knows...

Use the ignore button then...byyyeeeee!

#32 7 years ago

TWD, no better game. if you can stretch to a premium do that too.

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Dude answered a specific request for opinions on GB so give him a break.

For me, this is way tough between TWD Premium and TSPP. TWD Prem gives you walker bombs and the strategy that goes with them, along with the awesome GI (horde!), crossbow and other features. I wouldn't consider a Pro unless there was no other option. TWD is fast, vicious with a broad ruleset.. 5 wizard modes to work towards and killer music and sounds.

TSPP is also a great game and very unique with its extreme depth. As others have said, it's a long game, but it's NOT not too repetitive. You'll start with the standard modes + multiball... TV modes + standard 3-lock (couch MB) plus quicklock MB (Itchy and Scratchy) .. basically the same stuff seen in dozens of other games, and it's done well enough here to make a great game just from these standard features.

But, TSPP keeps piling it on. You get hurryups from comicbook guy, you get Bart's Daredevil modes to enhance playfield scoring. More modes come from the Treehouse, including stuff like Crazy Extra Ball (good f'n luck!) and Nuclear Disaster (whohoo!). Chalkboard awards and super scoring, Cletus kids and nuclear value awards. Then, TSPP hits yet another level with the wizard modes. Alien Invasion is an entire game unto itself and very unique. You also get Springfield Mystery Spot, Scratchy's Revenge, Pretzel Multiball, Daredevil Mania and Secret Stash. And you can stack these wizard modes with themselves, and you can (generally) stack them with the regular multiballs and modes (a few exceptions). And all of this is handled gracefully by the one timer to rule them all, easy to see right there on the TV screen. There just aren't many games designed with the elegance and depth of TSPP.

#34 7 years ago

Sell your collection and buy all 3.

TSPP has the best mini playfield in all of pinball. Makes the shadow's look like crap.

TWD has amazing rules that are a little more achievable than TSPP's deepest stuff.

GB has the worst code of the bunch but a ton of potential.

#35 7 years ago

If you're looking at the reviews of TWD pro and say why is it so low compared to TED premium while Met pro which is for all intents the same rating as Met premium.

I can honestly say I don't understand it one bit. TWD pro = premium to me, just a bit different haircut.

Yes premium has some added features but to me (and others) they are not game altering.

IMO both TWD games are great and if you had to settle for the pro you're still getting a heck of a great pin.

It's like creamy peanut butter and crunchy peanut butter. Not much difference just added features which some people can live without.

#36 7 years ago

Any of the three, as long as it isn't GB!

#37 7 years ago

I think it comes down to how much you love the Simpsons as a theme. Simpsons is very stop and go. But it has probably the most complete call out package and best theme integration of any pinball machine out there. When I first got into pinball it was the game I thought I wanted. But when I played it the gameplay wasn't for me. It can also be a pretty hard game. Actually all three you asked about are not easy games. TWD Pro is a great value. Sure you are missing the walker bombs and crossbow, but I don't think it is a deal breaker. Not having a spinner is just a stupid Stern decision that sucks.

#38 7 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Hey Kermie....just curious - why single me out? I'm not the only one who has a less than glowing opinion of the game.

Quoted from Pimp77:

Any of the three, as long as it isn't GB!

Quoted from freakandgeek:

Ghostbusters has too many frustrating flaws.

Quoted from FatPanda:

Not a fan of GB at all. It's a drainfest for no apparent reason other than to make it "difficult."

Quoted from 30FathomDave:

Ghostbusters is quite possibly the best "looking" game ever, but the code isn't where it needs to be just yet.

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Hey Kermie....just curious - why single me out? I'm not the only one who has a less than glowing opinion of the game.

Because you shout the loudest I guess. I don't really think you gave the game a chance after all the delays and initial problems with playfields. Spend some time with a dialed in GB (if you are ever in ATL feel free to stop by my place). It has a great sound package, great art, and some very satisfying shots. If it were such a turd, it wouldn't be selling so strongly to this day. The theme only can take you so far. I have played some horrible examples of Ghostbusters on location. I blame operators simply not caring enough to make the games play good. Yes you need to spend a little extra time setting the game up, but the result is an awesome game.

#40 7 years ago

Out of the 3 I would say GB or TSPP. TWD while having great code has terrible theme integration in my opinion. The actors make the show and they are no where to be found in the games rules, audio, or its artwork and Pinball Browser cannot help with 2 of the 3 (rules and artwork).

GB is one of the coolest looking pins I've seen in years. The artwork is incredible and the code seems fairly good. The game also features original audio from the movies main actors and custom callouts by Ernie Hudson. The code could certainty use more work which is why I'm now leaning towards the pro versus the premium mode. The premium model while incredible looking and having some slick toys lacks the proper code to take advantage of the extra movement of the premium slimer mech and there are only a handful of animations for the Ecto Goggles.

TSPP is a classic with an incredibly deep ruleset by Keith Johnson. Can't go wrong there.

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

I don't really think you gave the game a chance after all the delays and initial problems with playfields.

I played about 20 different GB machines, many many times. I feel like I've played every GB on location in Portland and Los Angeles...over and over. How is that not giving it a chance?

Quoted from kermit24:

Spend some time with a dialed in GB

Quoted from kermit24:

I have played some horrible examples of Ghostbusters on location. I blame operators simply not caring enough to make the games play good.

I've heard this a ton...yet, I've played many "out of the box route games" of other titles...they're never as consistently as horrible as GB. Therefore, it's not just a matter of the game not being dialed in. It's a poor design. That isn't the fault of the operators.

Quoted from kermit24:

It has a great sound package, great art, and some very satisfying shots.

With you on the art, mixed on the sound, absolutely disagree about the shots. I've played 100's of games. I know what a good shot feels like. GB does not feel good. As for the sound - there are some great music tracks...but the implementation of clips from the movie are weak, which is probably due to the linear mode approach...a lot of those clips and bits of humor are locked away from most players who will only see the same 2 or 3 modes every time. I don't like Ernie's callouts at all. Hearing Winston say "Tex" really rubs me the wrong way. That's Bill Murray's line...Winston wouldn't say that. He's the only guy who they could get....so, why wouldn't they - but he doesn't encapsulate the humor of GB. There are also a lot of weird sound FX that aren't Ghostbustersy at all. Seems very "stock sounds dropped in" to me compared to other truly great sound packages.

Quoted from kermit24:

If it were such a turd, it wouldn't be selling so strongly to this day. The theme only can take you so far.

It's a fantastic theme and it looks awesome. That DEFINITELY takes it far. Lots of buyers/players are super casual- they just want something that looks cool...they might play it casually a few times a year. GB looks great just sitting there. It's also great to newbs who don't have experience on a lot of pins to know any better. This game is attracting lots of new buyers to the hobby - and that's a good thing. My first pinball machine was Back to the Future. I was so excited, and I thought it was the coolest thing ever. All the collectors who'd been around for a while told me it was a piece of shit. At the time I thought they were assholes....but as time went by and I played more games - I realized they were right. Nothing wrong with a cool themed game to get a newb into pinball...I'm all for it -so for that, I say "Congrats Ghostbusters". However, knowing what I know about hundreds of games, designs and rulesets...I know it's not up to par. I'm not the only one with this opinion - so, I'm not some weird outlier on this one. Enjoy your game. Just know that the reasons I don't are absolutely legitimate.

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Enjoy your game. Just know that the reasons I don't are absolutely legitimate.

Your opinions are your legitimate opinions. I disagree with 80% of them, but not everyone likes every game. Look at the top 5 lists. There are plenty of haters for TZ and TAF.

#43 7 years ago

Cool theme and sales of a popular theme, casual player may like is exactly why South Park did well. I don't like SP at all but a casual player or owner might not know any better.

My brother in law has one pin for 12 years SP he's never even played any other pins he just got SP because he liked the potty humor.

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

so, I'm not some weird outlier on this one.

Actually, you're both outliers

#45 7 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Your opinions are your legitimate opinions. I disagree with 80% of them, but not everyone likes every game. Look at the top 5 lists. There are plenty of haters for TZ and TAF.

I don't like TZ - but it's more about me knowing very little about the theme & then not really gelling with the layout. However, I can't really say there's anything "wrong" with the game. GB just does so much fundamentally wrong.

#46 7 years ago

If you can afford a Premium I'd give the edge to GB. If you dont go premium I'd get TWD. Both games are amazing and both are keepers.

#47 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Out of the 3 I would say GB or TSPP. TWD while having great code has terrible theme integration in my opinion. The actors make the show and they are no where to be found in the games rules, audio, or its artwork and Pinball Browser cannot help with 2 of the 3 (rules and artwork).
GB is one of the coolest looking pins I've seen in years. The artwork is incredible and the code seems fairly good. The game also features original audio from the movies main actors and custom callouts by Ernie Hudson. The code could certainty use more work which is why I'm now leaning towards the pro versus the premium mode. The premium model while incredible looking and having some slick toys lacks the proper code to take advantage of the extra movement of the premium slimer mech and there are only a handful of animations for the Ecto Goggles.
TSPP is a classic with an incredibly deep ruleset by Keith Johnson. Can't go wrong there.

What are you talking about. The actors are on the cabinet of the pro and the premium. Owners have created sound packages for the game that exceed what stern has done on most of their games. Plus since stern is not doing it, call outs continue to be added from recent seasons to keep the game up to date. If you want to say stern botched the license that's fine, but anyone can now have a very well done, up to date call out package.

OP, I think TWD is the best of those 3. GB looks great but I hate it's code and think the layout is clunky and poorly designed. Some people love it though, so play it before buying it as it's a mixed bag of opinions. I love The Simpsons but think TSPP is crazy overrated. It's not fun to shoot and is constant stop and go. Its a game I have zero desire to ever play again. People rave about the code but it's not overly intuitive and most of all just not that fun.

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from jalkelly:

TSPP! Given the fact you mentioned wanting to stay at the low end of your budget it's really a no brainer. One of the best value pins out there.
If you want some more time on one let me know you can play mine, it has a color DMD too.

Thanks, buddy! I might just take you up on that! I'd love to see it in action with the color DMD.

#49 7 years ago

Thanks for all the insight! GB is definitely out. If I go with TWD, I think I'd go premium or I'd always be thinking about the missing features. While being financially responsible is certainly a factor, it seems that either will hold their value so it's more about parking the cash than spending it (at least I've convinced myself of that!). So it's between TSPP for somewhere around $4-5k or TWD Premium for ($6500ish). I love both themes, but am leaning toward TWD given the comments about I being intense, immersive, fast, etc. Tough call!

#50 7 years ago

Twd. It is a bad ass game. You won't regret it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pearl River, NY
$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 6.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

17,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Temecula, CA
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 16.00
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Athens, TX
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Machine - For Sale
Fresno, CA
$ 103.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 134 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tspp-vs-twd-prem-vs-gb-prem-small-collection-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.