• Rs 39 votes
    33%

(120 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20161013_191748_049 (resized).jpg
IMG_0041 (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

A lot of us already know major differences and comparisons, but I'm just trying to get a poll on which everyone prefers.

Have both lined up to buy in nice condition, so, which one should I go for?

I own only one machine right now, this will be my second. I own a FT. I love it, its a bit shallow but fun and a theme of my liking.

Let's see how this goes.

#2 7 years ago

Shouldn't even be close. RS is a good game, but tspp is a gem. For 4500, best value out there by far.

#3 7 years ago

A rabbi, a priest, and a cleric walk into a bar. The bartender looks up and says, " what is this, some kind of joke?!"

TSPP, without a doubt.

#4 7 years ago

I was leaning toward tspp originally, but wanted to give rs a chance because I've wanted one for so long now. Tspp has legs over rs though, it's the obvious choice. Just wanted some quick opinions.

#5 7 years ago

For the same price, Simpsons. Though they really shouldn't be the same price, now, should they?

#6 7 years ago

Nope. The ones I'm looking at aren't the same price. Tspp is obviously more. The condition on both are spectacular though, especially tspp.

#7 7 years ago

TSPP is so stop and go that it starts to grate on you over time. It also depends how good of a player you are because really deep code doesn't matter if you can't keep the ball in play long enough to see it all. RS is a fantastic game with a really well integrated theme. I think overall it just shoots better than TSPP in terms of feel but gets beat out due to the linear ruleset that gets boring pretty quick. You can't go wrong with either. I just don't think tspp is worth the premium because it isn't that much better of a game.

#8 7 years ago

I would go with RS. Great shots, alot of modes. TSPP may be deep, but if it's not fun (IMO) who cares?

#9 7 years ago

I'd take roadshow for home. I don't know how much you play on location but Simpsons are everywhere are once you get used to the code you start to kind of dread how long of a game it takes to see something new.

#11 7 years ago

Roadshow is faster, pure fun and has more flow.

TSPP is deeper, awesome call outs. A little more chaotic.

#12 7 years ago

I had both as of Wednesday, the day I sold TSPP. TSPP is a fantastic game that has legendary depth, but I just have more fun playing Road Show. That left ramp, right orbit, side flipper to the blast zone is my favorite combo in pinball.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

I had both as of Wednesday, the day I sold TSPP. TSPP is a fantastic game that has legendary depth, but I just have more fun playing Road Show. That left ramp, right orbit, side flipper to the blast zone is my favorite combo in pinball.

Totally agree. It's awesome.

#14 7 years ago

TSPP, even though I have owned both.
Solid game for small or large collections.
RS is a better diversified WMS collection game.

I still have RS I bought in 2002 (as it is a prototype, and I know I would never find another), but I would buy another TSPP if it was collector quality.

Little known fact:

Did you know TSPP has come full circle as a home use pinball machine?

In 2003 (and small sequent additional runs later) the game was popular and bought for homes.
Then fell out of favor from collectors in the mid 2000s due to the drought, many of which were sold back to the original dealers.
The interest came back starting around 2010-2012 due to new collectors recognizing the ruleset depth.
Those that argue may forget that even though RS has more depth than many machines of THAT era, LOTR brought more attention to coding in 2004 from players, although TSPP was praised beforehand.

Extra coding was considered a "bonus" in 2003, operators did not care.
A lot of people did not even know TSPP had two wizard modes, or played enough of the game to see most of the features including home use games.

Tournament players learned.

Home use "hardcore" collectors figured the game out eventually.

Many people still do not know that RS has more modes than most modern games.
The prototype coding had even more.
However, there are very few games that can outperform the final ruleset of TSPP in variety, completion, and being streamlined into something that makes logical sense.
Anyone that states "everybody" recognizes the depth of TSPP is BS.
Most operators did not even realize all the features that were added when the code was finalized.
The ruleset took a lot of time before it was enthusiast documented on all the hidden features and secrets that were in the game.

#15 7 years ago

I just picked up Lotr last week and Tspp a year ago.

I think Tspp is the better pin. Tspp is probably underrated IMO seeing that it's cheaper on average to Lotr. Tspp is a great bang for the buck and I'm a little surprised at some of the games rated and costing higher than it.

I've heard of other pins in this era like WPT and RBION being great players and great rules but the theme or art are just OK. I think Tspp got it all: Theme, Art, Gameplay and Rules and not too high a price.

I've played RS some, but not enough to say a lot but just my feeling that it was just ok.

#16 7 years ago

TSPP...definitely!!!

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Solid game for small or large collections.
RS is a better diversified WMS collection game.
I still have RS I bought in 2002 (as it is a prototype, and I know I would never find another), but I would buy another TSPP if it was collector quality.
Little known fact:
In 2003 (and small sequent additional runs later) the game was popular and bought for homes.
Then fell out of favor from collectors in the mid 2000s due to the drought, many of which were sold back to the original dealers.
The interest came back starting around 2010-2012 due to new collectors recognizing the ruleset depth?

We do a lot of work at Universities, and virtually EVERY one of them that had a pin was TSPP. I suspect it's a hard game to keep on route, as a lot of shit to break, but in a home environment...perfect!!!

#18 7 years ago

I had both for about the same amount of time and had both at the same time for a year or more. If it haven't played either, both will give you more depth than what you have. Slight advantage to TSPP IMHO. Ironically I got rid of both closet together as they're fun but played them to death.

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

I still have RS (as it is a prototype, and I know I would never find another), but I would buy another TSPP if it was collector quality.
Little known fact:
Now the interest came back starting around 2010-2012 due to collectors recognizing the ruleset depth?

The rule set depth has always been well known and recognized.

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from BrooklynDrug:

Have both lined up to buy in nice condition, so, which one should I go for?

Buy both!

#21 7 years ago

I had to sell my roadshow to use the funds to buy a TSPP , not that I regret it, but I really do miss roadshow, it's just a cool game with lots of modes, an very well thought out, TSPP can be pretty full on an hard to get a grasp on, every thing can stack up so it gets confusing where your at, it's a hard choice, I wouldn't ride roadshow off though...

#22 7 years ago

The music on Roadshow is awful...its why I sold the game...

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

The music on Roadshow is awful...its why I sold the game...

I hated the linear game play, which is why I sold mine. The second one is for my dad, who loves it.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#24 7 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

I hated the linear game play, which is why I sold mine. The second one is for my dad, who loves it.

If someone reverse engineered the prototype P-2 EPROMs you could remove a lot of linearity through integration with the final L-6.
They allowed city selection as an option with the flippers.
Forward (west coast) with left flipper button and backwards (east coast) with right flipper button.
However, the P-2 as designed were incomplete with modes and there were game errors with ball searches as well, therefore cannot be used to properly in the game.
There are also memory limitations which is the reason why some features were truncated including additional game modes.
However, I am still looking for my original EPROMS which I put in one of my electronics boxes, so the code can be extracted.

#25 7 years ago

I own both and it's a tough decision. I would jump on both if possible and you can always sell one if needed. Road show is alot easier to follow and has awesome shots and diverters. I have yet to get to the west coast 3 times but its a good goal to have. Tspp can almost have too much going on but will allow you to see new things longer. In the end i would go with rs because of the price. Its an underrated pin that is a hell of a lot of fun when you get to the west coast modes.

#26 7 years ago

I say Road Show but both are good games.

#27 7 years ago

I love TSPP! It is stop and go but it's a great challenge!

#28 7 years ago

Two very different games, in a small collection I would never consider Roadshow, simply because of the linear rule set.

RS- Very fun at first and very approachable. Has that "one more" draw to it because you want to see more. After a couple of months, I couldn't wait to sell it. Specifically because of the concept of seeing the same stuff over and over. In a larger collection, this wouldn't be an issue.

TSPP- Way too much going on to understand it in the first few months of ownership. Not approachable by the casual player. But it shines (and shines, and shines) once you understand what you are supposed to do. You can play it anyway you want to play it, and keeping the tv timer running is a great strategy to help you accomplish many things at once. In a small collection, it could easily stand alone, as long as it wasn't a multiplayer game where everyone is a somewhat decent player.

#29 7 years ago

I truly like them both have not owned rs but want to, wide body, two heads, shaker, lots to do.. I think the sound track is just ok, I bought tspp before rs and probly would buy wh2o before rs and possibly others, unless a great deal came along ( not happening in california)..so I guess tspp is the one!!! Good luck, buy both..

#30 7 years ago

Had a Roadshow for a while, would take that over TSPP. Lots to do in both games but there's a weird flow to Roadshow and I enjoyed nibbling through the modes. Had mine set up hard and would purposely plunge to the pops as to avoid the linear aspect of the initial cities.

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from Philk:

Had a Roadshow for a while, would take that over TSPP. Lots to do in both games but there's a weird flow to Roadshow and I enjoyed nibbling through the modes. Had mine set up hard and would purposely plunge to the pops as to avoid the linear aspect of the initial cities.

Hell ya i second the flow! One of the best combos out there. Lots of modes use the ramps and the diverters are awesome on that machine.

#32 7 years ago

beating the aliens in TSPP is a tough challenge, and collecting all the Cletus kids? Funny stuff.

tough decision, but I would think TSPP beats out RS.

#34 7 years ago

Do you prefer more flow or more depth? Rs has alot too it but can almost feel like trying to beat an old school video game with no continues. Haveing to start on the east coast can get old but makes getting across the country worth it. Especially if you can do it 3 times and get all the citys unlocked. I just got tspp and there is alot to do but sometimes it takes alot of work to figure it out. Rs can come naturally because its easier to understand. If you like depth with lots of rules get tspp. If not so much you will love rs if you dont mind the music.

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from Mfsrc791:

Do you prefer more flow or more depth? Rs has alot too it but can almost feel like trying to beat an old school video game with no continues. Haveing to start on the east coast can get old but makes getting across the country worth it. Especially if you can do it 3 times and get all the citys unlocked. I just got tspp and there is alot to do but sometimes it takes alot of work to figure it out. Rs can come naturally because its easier to understand. If you like depth with lots of rules get tspp. If not so much you will love rs if you dont mind the music.

Well, I've seemed to have already made my decision on which game I'm getting but..I'm wondering now if the two would be nice as a pair. I only have room for 2 machines where I am so, I really have to have a nice two machine combo.

I've chose tspp, though, I've always wanted a rs..I feel tspp will be challenging enough for me and I'm a depth man so that code is going to keep me on that machine possibly forever. Rs I haven't played too much but have been wanting one for some time now. I just love the shots and red & Ted. I def want a Williams in my collection and rs seems like the one for me. Plus, it's cheap! While it lasts of course.

But hey, maybe that new Lawlor jjp will be something special, and maybe that will be my number two. One more day and I'll find out. Help me decide!

#36 7 years ago

Well, I've seemed to have already made my decision on which game I'm getting but..I'm wondering now if the two would be nice as a pair. I only have room for 2 machines where I am so, I really have to have a nice two machine combo.
I've chose tspp, though, I've always wanted a rs..I feel tspp will be challenging enough for me and I'm a depth man so that code is going to keep me on that machine possibly forever. Rs I haven't played too much but have been wanting one for some time now. I just love the shots and red & Ted. I def want a Williams in my collection and rs seems like the one for me. Plus, it's cheap! While it lasts of course.
But hey, maybe that new Lawlor jjp will be something special, and maybe that will be my number two. One more day and I'll find out. Help me decide!

Ya i cant wait to see what the new lawlor pin will be! Also the price. Hopeing its not an 8000 dollar machine...

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from Mfsrc791:

Ya i cant wait to see what the new lawlor pin will be! Also the price. Hopeing its not an 8000 dollar machine...

If its cheaper than 8k, I will seriously consider it. You know, on a serious level. Haha.

#38 7 years ago

Btw im curious how much the roadshow would cost you. I bought mine for 3500 but came shopped with no shooter lane or fish wear and overal was in good condition. Tspp cost me 4000 after tax but was definately routed at some point and had been used alot.

#39 7 years ago

Gonna put some overtime in tonight for you.

IMG_0041 (resized).JPGIMG_0041 (resized).JPG

#40 7 years ago

Problem solved...

IMG_20161013_191748_049 (resized).jpgIMG_20161013_191748_049 (resized).jpg

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from gutz:

Problem solved...

Wow, excellent.

I also have a ft, the tspp will be next to it. And with that rs there, how do you like that trio?

#42 7 years ago

Wow, excellent.
I also have a ft, the tspp will be next to it. And with that rs there, how do you like that trio?

I have had that trio next to each other at one time or another... It works well.... Shallow, medium depth, insanely deep....

#43 7 years ago

I had both for several years, and both are fantastic and varied. Find a deal on one or the other, and you'll be happy. Road Show has been in our collection for 8 years, and TSPP was here for four.

#44 7 years ago

Just buy both and sell the one you dont like along with your kidney and buy Dialed In.

1 week later
#45 7 years ago
Quoted from Mfsrc791:

Just buy both and sell the one you dont like along with your kidney and buy Dialed In.

Noooooooooooo.
Haha

#46 7 years ago

So did you get The Simpsons yet?

#47 7 years ago
Quoted from brainmegaphone:

So did you get The Simpsons yet?

Yes. Its amazing. Perhaps an rs should go next to it. If I can make it gappen. Tspp has so much going on. I'll be playing this for quite some time I think.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 45.95
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 26.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pearl River, NY
4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 63.95
$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

9,899 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 16.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tspp-vs-rs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.