Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Mike_M
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Hmm, so maybe I am just not versed well enough in when switches go bad, but I noticed that recently whenever a ball leaves the upper playfield, the normal sound that plays no longer does so. Also, when I am in monorail mode and have to "Ride the monorail" in order to activate anchor points to shoot for, the anchor points no longer light.

I went into switch test mode and manually triggered that switch and it does seem to register. I rolled a ball through and it registered fine.

So now I am not sure if my switch is just wonky and I should replace it? Could it be something else? I manually inspected the sound ROMs and even firmly made sure each ROM was seated securely. So my question is why would a switch register in test mode but not during gameplay? Wondering if a factory reset might help?

Switch in question looks like this one: http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2792

Thanks for any advice.

#2 10 years ago

Possible to have a flaky switch, possible to have loose wires nearby in an IDC connector.

LTG : )

#3 10 years ago

Strange. Just couldn't understand why the switch would register in test but not trigger the code. Did a factory reset and it seems to have fixed it.

#4 10 years ago

It's happened to me on occasion, too. I always assumed the ball didn't go through exactly right, because it's so rare, but now that I think about it---that's probably wrong. I'll keep an eye on this thread to see if you (we) get any more answers.

#5 10 years ago

Switch is probably fine. Problem is usually the wireform switch gate becoming misaligned so that it no longer trips the switch actuator.

1 year later
#6 9 years ago
Quoted from Elfman:

Hmm, so maybe I am just not versed well enough in when switches go bad, but I noticed that recently whenever a ball leaves the upper playfield, the normal sound that plays no longer does so. Also, when I am in monorail mode and have to "Ride the monorail" in order to activate anchor points to shoot for, the anchor points no longer light.
I went into switch test mode and manually triggered that switch and it does seem to register. I rolled a ball through and it registered fine.
So now I am not sure if my switch is just wonky and I should replace it? Could it be something else? I manually inspected the sound ROMs and even firmly made sure each ROM was seated securely. So my question is why would a switch register in test mode but not during gameplay? Wondering if a factory reset might help?
Switch in question looks like this one: http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2792
Thanks for any advice.

Quoted from Elfman:

Strange. Just couldn't understand why the switch would register in test but not trigger the code. Did a factory reset and it seems to have fixed it.

I had the exact same thing happen on mine. In test the monorail switch worked but would not register during gameplay. A factory reset cured the problem. Thanks.
Tom.

10 months later
#7 8 years ago

Had the same problem 2 times today. Normally I need to reset the Simpsons 1time every month. But now 2 times on one day .Was trying to trigger the problem but couldn't do it. Switch is working perfectly, I know this because I have this installed http://www.flippp.fr/pisim.php It needs the monorail switch to turn of the flippers and that keeps working perfectly. Anyone found a solution? I would think it's a software problem or IC problem, but would like to know what triggers te problem.

2 years later
#8 6 years ago

Yes, I know ancient thread.

It's been observed by many now that there is an issue where the upper monorail switch will stop registering during gameplay. Testing the switch (with a ball) in switch mode works fine. Doing a factory reset always fixes it.

Has anyone ever figured out the root cause?

It's only happened twice to me but I hate doing a factory reset and loosing my high scores. That vexing pinball_keefer shows back up on the high scores and with my remedial pinball skills it takes me forever to knock him back off.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

6,899 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sioux Falls, SD
$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 16.00
$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Youngstown, OH
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 18.95
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cherry Hills Village, CO
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 45.95
$ 218.00
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tspp-upper-exit-playfield-switch-monorail-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.