• 18 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Cserold
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Hi group,

I'm trying to fix everything on my TSPP I bought recently. When I bought it, it was missing the coil and everything else fore TV release. I purchased and installed everything, and now, in diagnostic mode testing, it seems to work ok. The minute I place a ball in there, it buzzes pretty loudly. I also noticed the coil seems to get very hot. Does anyone have any ideas about this?

#2 10 years ago

So is something buzzing when the ball is on the switch? ...or does it buzz when the coil fires and the release peg lifts?

I just tested my game with the sound low, and a little buzz is normal when the release peg lifts. I've never noticed because the volume is always loud when I play. Is the buzz so loud that you can hear it over the volume at level 3 or 4?

#3 10 years ago

It's loud, and definitly not a normal buzzing sound. As soon as the ball activates the switch, it happens. When I test the coil in diagnostic mode without a ball in that area, there is no buzzing and it appears to operate correctly. This machine I purchased from a Camelot Golfland and it had a rough lie on location, and this is how I bought it.

#4 10 years ago

So ...just trying to be clear...is something other than the release coil buzzing? That's what it sounds like if the switch is triggering it....cuz in gameplay, the ball sits on the switch for a moment, then the coil fires for a second, releasing the ball.

What happens when you test the switch in diag mode? If the buzz is caused by the switch, it should happen here, too. Just make sure the 50v is on...maybe there's something shorting on that switch's wires...it's possible - there are tons of wires squished under that mini playfield - something could have snagged on something when you put it all back together (if you took it out to put in the new coil).

#5 10 years ago

I'm going to double check the things you mentioned then report back..thanks

#6 10 years ago

Ok, I just looked again. It is a buzzing sound that is being caused by a vibration I can feel on the coil plunger. The actual plunger and spring I found in the coin box when I bought the machine, but the coil and coil sleeve are new. I also noticed the plunger doesn't go up high enough to allow the ball to roll through. When the coil is not energized, the plunger is about 1 inch into the lane...level with the stainless steel ball guide. When energized it goes up almost to the top of the ball guide...about 1/8" from the top of the guide. Is that normal?

#7 10 years ago

Does it started buzzing right before the ball is released? Warning chime that ball will be released, loud buzz/vibration, then the ball is released?

I have the same issue on mine, and have not found the cause yet. I am suspecting either the coil, or coil bracket is causing something to stick and/or vibrate. I just have not had time to search for it.

I second looking at your switches underneath, I was occasional issues with several switched around the playfield and found one of the couch switched was shorted.

#8 10 years ago

Mine is about at the half-way point of the ball guide (touches the upper 1/4 mark of the ball)

My theory: Your plunger is upside down.

I just looked at my game and at the manual...the part of the plunger where the E-ring fits - the smaller length of the plunger should come down through the hole...I think yours is upside down, so the longer part is coming through - that would explain why it's not letting the ball roll through.

#9 10 years ago

I think your right! Thank you, when I get home I'm gonna fix it. thanks again

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#10 10 years ago
Quoted from Blenderhead:

I think your right! Thank you, when I get home I'm gonna fix it. thanks again

Cool, let us know what happens!

#11 10 years ago

You nailed it on the head, Rarehero! Flipped it around and works great now. Your help is much appreciated!

#12 10 years ago

Yay! I saved a game! I hope everything else works fine...enjoy your TSPP!

2 years later
#13 8 years ago

I know this is an old thread, but wanted to update the count of games Rarehero saved to *two*. Same issue - post was installed upside down! Thanks for this!

#14 8 years ago

LOL, I recently got a TSPP and pretty much ironed out every issue but this TV ball release coil buzzing issue. Rarehero may have saved *three* games.

8 months later
#15 7 years ago

Having the same issue with really loud buzzing from TV coil. Please see post here and let me know if you guys have any input: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tspp-owners-club-members-only/page/39#post-3424303

Trying to figure out the following:

1. Can you tell if plunger is in upside down from the pics posted
2. How in the heck do you even get the plunger out of the coil and the coil removed from the metal bracket?

Thanks for any input!

Craig

1 week later
#16 7 years ago

Just in case anybody stumbles on this thread. I was able to fix my TV coil buzzing issue. Steps outlined here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tspp-owners-club-members-only/page/40#post-3434523

#17 7 years ago

Mine does this. It's the coil vibrating again something that makes the racket.

#18 7 years ago

It's the coil vibrating inside the metal bracket that attaches to the TV. After a few plays the buzz has returned but it is not near as loud as it was before. Definitely tolerable.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 218.00
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

6,899 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sioux Falls, SD
$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cherry Hills Village, CO
$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MA
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pearl River, NY
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tspp-tv-release-makes-a-buzzing-sound-when-a-ball-enters and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.