(Topic ID: 33656)

TSPP top right flipper issue...

By ck1sport

11 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Just picked up a TSPP and very excited to have it in my basement. The machine worked fine until I replaced the batteries. It may be just a coincindence but I cannot figure it out. When the start button is pressed to start a game the top right flipper activates and stays charged. I checked the Q 14 transistor that applies to the flipper and it seems to be good. I was thinking it could be a bad diode on the coil. I am going to change this diode tonight to see if this works.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on this? I would appreciate any help.

Thanks

#2 11 years ago

Transistor that drives it.

LTG : )

#3 11 years ago

It's not the diode. If it doesn't energize until a game is started sounds like the flipper contacts are closed or a logic problem. Some games (not sure on TSPP) have two sets of contacts on the flipper button. One for the lower flipper and one for the upper. I'd check that first.

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

It's not the diode. If it doesn't energize until a game is started sounds like the flipper contacts are closed or a logic problem. Some games (not sure on TSPP) have two sets of contacts on the flipper button. One for the lower flipper and one for the upper. I'd check that first.

Yep this is likely it. You can verify in switch test in diags menu if the button is seen as pressed or not then look at the switch inside the cabinet. May need a very slight bend to be less sensitive.

Not a transistor that drives it since that would show up on power on rather than game start.

#5 11 years ago

There are two sets of switches on the right side (I think only one on the left). However, the inner switch controls BOTH the upper playfield right flipper and the "middle" right flipper near Bart. One would suspect that a stuck inner switch would fire both of them. But this is pretty easy to test in diagnostics.

#6 11 years ago

Your problem is likely a switch problem as suggested by dasmb.

If the flipper does NOT energize on it's own in attract mode, it's probably NOT the transistor that drives the flipper coil. A shorted transistor would usually energize as soon as you flip power on for the game.

Reason I mention this is because this exact thing happened to an upper right TSPP flipper I fixed for a friend. The cheap ass 22NE10L transistors that Stern used shorts and fries the coil quite often.

All 22NE10L flipper transistors should be upgraded to IRL540N transistors in Stern White Star games. Terry has them for $2.95

The 22NE10L transistor was never designed to handle the currents that go through a Stern flipper pinball coil.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cherry Hills Village, CO
$ 218.00
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 45.95
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 45.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MA
$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 16.00
$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tspp-top-right-flipper-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.