(Topic ID: 49021)

TSPP, STTNG, RS or WH2O in small lineup?

By drshaw

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which do you prefer?”

• TSPP 21 votes
    30%
  • STTNG 19 votes
    27%
  • RS 6 votes
    9%
  • WH2O 24 votes
    34%

(70 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 10 years ago

I have good solid leads on all of the above. Can only afford one. I have a small collection at home but room for one more. Right now I have TZ, LOTR and WCS. Then I have XMEN LE at my office but that's staying put. Which game would compliment best at home and why?

I like TSPP's theme the best by far but that's not everything that matters in these decisions.

I'm not a "Trekkie" at all. Never seen the show really, but its highly rated and respected. The theme and overall gray playfield is what has been holding me back with that pin.

RS is a little cheaper than the others, but maybe not as good? Don't care too much for the theme but I like that there is a ton to do... I don't want to get bored since I have a small collection.

To be honest, I don't really like WH2O. But maybe I'm flat out wrong?

#2 10 years ago

I have LOTR and TSPP in the same collection, and they are both very good games. But they are both very deep games, which means to see a lot you have to play very long ball times. And honestly, TSPP doesn't get the amount of play on it I would like. In a larger collection, with many choices to choose from, you may have the same issue having both. Although maybe not in a smaller one.

But really it's about which game you want. I would like to own a WH20 myself some day.

#3 10 years ago

Choice would be TZ, STTNG, TSPP, LOTR, WCS

As for complimenting XMLE I would say LOTR. two completely different styles of game play and PF layout. Variety is good.

haha mis read sorry. I say go for Tommy different shot map then anything you own. =)

#4 10 years ago

I love all 4!

If you want something totally different than any of your games, go for WH2O or RS. Super light-hearted, a bit rednecky, tons of personality and very unique and fun layouts.

If you really really love the depth of LOTR and TZ and want something in that zone, go for TSPP.

STTNG is incredible, but if you don't know the show, some of it will be lost on you. It's another widebody - but it's entirely different than TZ. Lawlor vs. Ritchie.

#5 10 years ago

So STTNG is leading the votes thus far. What's the main attraction or what makes the game good for those of us who haven't seen the show. Is it the shots, the rules, the modes, the toys?

Is the downside to TSPP because it's so similar to LOTR? Themes couldn't be more different (comedy vs drama) but they both have a deep ruleset and long ball times? Is it also similar to TZ?

#6 10 years ago

Honestly those games are all fine for a small lineup. The only thing Id be worried about is...

Quoted from drshaw:Is the downside to TSPP because it's so similar to LOTR? Themes couldn't be more different (comedy vs drama) but they both have a deep ruleset and long ball times?

Otherwise Id got with what game appeals the most to you. If you aren't a Trek fan, go with one of the others. RS may not win any medal for best game, but its a kitchen sink approach to pinball with tons to do.

#7 10 years ago

If you get a STTNG, you will have a near mirror to my collection, save SS. I'm pretty pleased with my lineup and its been unchanged for almost a year now. I think a WH20 would fit in nicely as well.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#8 10 years ago
Quoted from drshaw:

So STTNG is leading the votes thus far. What's the main attraction or what makes the game good for those of us who haven't seen the show. Is it the shots, the rules, the modes, the toys?
Is the downside to TSPP because it's so similar to LOTR? Themes couldn't be more different (comedy vs drama) but they both have a deep ruleset and long ball times? Is it also similar to TZ?

STTNG has great flow, combos, light shows, music...it has CANNONS! It just has a lot of cool stuff going on, from the unique launch wireform, to the way it handles balls under the playfield to pop it up to different spots, relatively instantly (there's usually one waiting to pop out, so - one it, the other out). Buncha modes, a cool Multiball....it's just a great game. Liking the them just takes it even higher.

TSPP is nothing like LOTR other than its depth. Like LOTR you need to play it for a long time to see all it has to offer...and you'll most likely never see the final wizard mode anyway lol. Design is totally different, tone is totally different. If you like the discovery of LOTR...always finding new and interesting things about it...getting better, playing longer, and discovering MORE new and interesting things, then you'll really like TSPP. Just depends if you wanna keep going with what you like (which doesn't necessarily mean it's too similar), or if you want to go totally out of your box for something different.

#9 10 years ago

I've never seen a STTNG with a gray playfield?

Mine is purple with blues and reds......etc....

#10 10 years ago

I have a 7 machine collection, and 3 of the 4 machines you mentioned are in it (no sttng - but my pinball brother-in-arms has one, and we try not to duplicate). Love them all. RS has been here the longest, never get bored, been a longtime Simpsons fan and my TSPP is beautiful, so it stays. WH20 is the newest addition, and I have no plans to turf it either. All are fantastic in the lineup, I don't think you could go wrong with any of them.

Would love a STTNG too, but read above...

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I've never seen a STTNG with a gray playfield?
Mine is purple with blues and reds......etc....

The Enterprise is gray....and the sling plastics, cannons. *shrug*

#12 10 years ago

You really can't go wrong with any of these pins.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from The_Director:

You really can't go wrong with any of these pins.

Yeah, that's probably true. I think they are all great pins, I guess I was just trying to find one that would "gel" best with my others. I think I'm pretty much topped out at 4 pins in my current home so I'm being pretty picky about which ones get the space.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from drshaw:

Yeah, that's probably true. I think they are all great pins, I guess I was just trying to find one that would "gel" best with my others. I think I'm pretty much topped out at 4 pins in my current home so I'm being pretty picky about which ones get the space.

Ah, I see. Roadshow is a widebody, deep rule set which I think you have covered with TZ. TSPP is a deep rule set, long ball game which I think you have covered with LOTR. That leaves ST:TNG and WH20, both great games, but WH20 gets my vote. It's probably in my top 5.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

7,699 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pearl River, NY
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 26.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 18.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 63.95
$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tspp-sttng-rs-or-wh2o-in-small-lineup and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.