• 17 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by MAJRob
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Hi everyone,
I was changing out IDC connectors on my TSPP and now my sound is completely gone. All wires are seated in the new connectors and they are repinned the same they were before. I don't get it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

#2 11 years ago

Take your time and re-trace your work, you missed something.

#3 11 years ago

I retraced everything, even changed out connectors again...no luck. I am wondering if I fried the board somehow...any suggestions?

#4 11 years ago

Check all your fuses with a dmm

#5 11 years ago

All fuses test out fine. Still stumped

#6 11 years ago

did you try a factory reset ? I had the problem sometimes on mine, unrelated to anything else. You could also try to reseat each sound rom.

#7 11 years ago

Thanks Rossz! I will try that and let you know.

#8 11 years ago

Ahhh!! Factory reset and reseated ROMs did not work. This machine is kicking my butt.

#9 11 years ago

What IDC were you changing? And how did you determine that all fuses are fine?

#10 11 years ago

Mark,
The IDCs are CN2 and CN4...both deal with the speakers. I used a multimeter on the fuses and they tested alright. Plus none of the fuses in the schematic seemed dedicated to the sound. Everything else on the game works as it should.
I appreciate any help you can pass on,
Rob

#11 11 years ago

Bump...need the help fellas

#12 11 years ago

I always look at problems as what would I do. If I'd just worked on two connectors that deal with the speakers and the speakers then didn't work, that's where I'd look.

If you did the work with the power off and didn't reinstall the connectors reversed or one pin off I would not suspect you blew anything. Although anything is possible.

I would get the manuals out and check every wire color on those connectors to make sure they're correct. If that was ok I would get my DMM and in diode/continuity mode check each wire from the female connector to the board and make sure I had a good connection through the connector.

Also make sure you didn't yank on any surrounding connectors while working on those two.

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

I always look at problems as what would I do. If I'd just worked on two connectors that deal with the speakers and the speakers then didn't work, that's where I'd look.
If you did the work with the power off and didn't reinstall the connectors reversed or one pin off I would not suspect you blew anything. Although anything is possible.
I would get the manuals out and check every wire color on those connectors to make sure they're correct. If that was ok I would get my DMM and in diode/continuity mode check each wire from the female connector to the board and make sure I had a good connection through the connector.
Also make sure you didn't yank on any surrounding connectors while working on those two.

Good advise, check all connectors close by you may have unplugged one or broke a wire while working. It happens.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

I
If you did the work with the power off and didn't reinstall the connectors reversed or one pin off I would not suspect you blew anything.

Terry,
Thanks for the help. The connector was installed with one pin off, had my kids helping...gotta love 'em! The power was turned on and CN2 connector was off by one pin. The display was not on, and that was when I noticed the connector was installed incorrectly. I pulled it off and put it back on correctly, all the while the machine was on. Do you think that could have blown something on the board? Which board would it be, the I/O Power or CPU/Sound? Everything else works just fine. Is there anyway for me to test the board to make sure it is messed up?
Thanks so much again

#15 11 years ago

Yes I would guess that something got blown. I'm not a Stern expert but got this from Pinwiki regarding testing the voltages on the board:

No sound at all: Check the voltages on the board. On the DC input connector CN2 there should be approx. +12V DC between pin 2 (GND) and pin 6 (+12V) and -12V between pin 2 (GND) and pin 3 (-12V), these voltages come from the Power Supply Board. On the board itself are two voltage regulators to convert the +12V and -12V to +5V and -5V for the pre-amplifiers, check these voltages by measuring between the ground (GND, test point) and U30 pin 8 for +5V, U30 pin 4 for -5V.

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from MAJRob:

All fuses test out fine. Still stumped

Did you pull the fuses out when you checked them?

#17 11 years ago

Gents! Happy to say that TSPP is fixed. A transitor was blown on the power board. It looked different from the rest. I replaced it and Simposons is golden. I can't express how much gratitude I have for dug and Terryb. I hope everyone has a happy new year. If you find your way into North jersey, swing by and beers are on me.
Aloha,
Rob

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 18.95
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 16.00
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 218.00
$ 45.00
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Gainesville, GA
$ 45.95
$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

6,899 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sioux Falls, SD
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tspp-sound-stopped-workingplease-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.