unnamed.jpg
unnamed-5.jpg
unnamed-1.jpg
unnamed-3.jpg
unnamed-2.jpg
IMG_1372.JPG
IMG_1373.JPG
DSC_0871s.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sillyoldelf.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

Currently available PM for more info

I've seen some machines with custom sideboard decals and if done right I think it really adds to the art so I decided to have a go with my TSPP.

Here's my Simpsons Pinball Party with custom sideboard decals. Took over 40 hours to complete the artwork for left and right side. Artwork was produced from scratch at 300 dpi and then printed out and fully laminated for scratch resistance. Was easy to fit without having to remove the playfield - just lifted up and carefully stuck in.

simp-speak2.jpgsimp-speak2.jpg
backboard-tspp.jpgbackboard-tspp.jpg
simp9.jpgsimp9.jpg
simp8.jpgsimp8.jpg
simp7.jpgsimp7.jpg
simp6.jpgsimp6.jpg
simp5.jpgsimp5.jpg
simp3.jpgsimp3.jpg
simp2.jpgsimp2.jpg
simp1.jpgsimp1.jpg

#7 10 years ago

Thanks for kind words. So much work went into them as I didn't just want a copy and paste job so all artwork had to be done from scratch.

The printer advised me to have them coated with their laminate coating but it still won't stop tears if you catch them with something sharp while lifting your playfield. They do seem to be a lot stronger than others I have tried so I think it's worth the extra cost. I haven't had any problems so far and they stick down really well so I imagine they will last for ages. I also lightly sanded the sides of my playfield just to make sure they are extra smooth with nothing to catch them while lifting.

They are very easy to install - my wife did them while I held up the playfield. Basically you can balance the playfield on the front of the machine lifting it right up and forward. Then you can stick them in with a clear view. You have to cut them a little at the back because stern have fitted blocks of wood at back edges that stick out. So she just got a sharp knife and put a little cut in the decals and wrapped them around the wood. The trick is to get them all lined up from the back to the front before giving them a good press down to stick - if you lightly press down to start with you can peel them back and re-adjust if necessary. To be honest she's fitted a few now and makes it look easy. I would say it took about 5 mins tops to fit.

I can ship anywhere so long as you have a registered paypal address.

#12 10 years ago

if anybody would like a set PM me with your email details etc and I'll try and make a list and see what I can do printing cost wise if there's enough people wanting them. If you could let me know where you are in the world so I can work out shipping costs too cause that might be a factor. I guess they would have to ship in some sort of cardboard tube rolled up for safety.

I don't want to sell these commercially so it would be on a donation basis not for resale.

#14 10 years ago

Hi Nepi23

I tried putting felt and things like that on the playfield edges but actually found it made it worse as the gap was too small and it would catch on the decals. Just sanding seemed the best or you could try insulating tape I guess on the playfield edges. I'll try and take a picture of how I positioned the playfield for installation if I can persuade the wife again

#19 10 years ago

Hi Nepi23

No you don't need wet method with these. The adhesive allows them to be adjusted before a final press down - just apply edges lightly and line it all up and then give it a good rub down. My wife lines up decals to top and of sides starting at back and then works her way down. She does the final bit at the back last cutting them to fit round the blocks of wood that are sticking out - sort of wrap around effect - you just have to cut them a little so they can wrap around bottom and fit around top. Why stern put them there I've know idea. You can peel them off again if need be without any sticky residue so it's not permanent or going to ruin your machine. It's good stuff.

#47 10 years ago

Thanks guys for the feedback. The moes tavern decal for the back of the machine does look a good idea as I don't like what stern have done there anyway.

Would you be thinking a direct copy of the scene based on that mod that would replace the original stern sticker?

#50 10 years ago

Hopefully everybody who is interested in them has heard from me, so if you haven't please message again.

I'm not taking anymore requests at the moment, so if you haven't already expressed interest, I'll let you know in this thread if I plan on doing anymore.

#69 10 years ago

My long suffering partner helped me make some tutorials for fitting the decals. She says if anybody wants to pay for a 1st class ticket over to the states and a couple of weeks in a hotel, she'll gladly come out and fit them.

Seriously, they are quite easy to do, even though Stern added some blocks of wood at the back to make life fun.

Before installation of decals, I like to check the playfield raises and lowers easily without catching or scraping along the sides. I rubbed the side edges of the playfield down with some light sandpaper to make sure they were smooth and checked no metal or wires were sticking out - there shouldn't be anyway. You have a few mills clearance each side so as long as you don't try to put the playfield back in at an angle, there is no problem with decals.

First raise the playfield right out by balancing on the front - don't forget to remove your balls!

playfield2.jpgplayfield2.jpg

playfield1.jpgplayfield1.jpg

#70 10 years ago

Next start at the back of the machine and line up the decal - remember it is going to bend round the wood and be cut in place. You don't have to stick the whole sticker down yet, so leave some of the sticker backing on and just press down lightly halfway to the front until you have the back sorted.

playfield3.jpgplayfield3.jpg

playfield4.jpgplayfield4.jpg

#71 10 years ago

Now take a very sharp knife and using the bottom of the block of wood as a guide, cut a line to allow the decal to wrap round. Once that's all lined up, you can work back down the machine to the front. When everything looks good, give it a rub down with a soft cloth. As they are laminated, you can always wipe them down if need be with a dry cloth - shouldn't need any cleaner.

Remember to carefully lower the playfield down straight when you've fitted the decals as anything sharp - like a splinter of wood or something sharp will cut them.

playfield5.jpgplayfield5.jpg

playfield6.jpgplayfield6.jpg

playfield7.jpgplayfield7.jpg

playfield8.jpgplayfield8.jpg

playfield9.jpgplayfield9.jpg

playfield10.jpgplayfield10.jpg

#75 10 years ago
Quoted from balloukevin:

"First raise the playfield right out by balancing on the front - don't forget to remove your balls!"
Maybe this is a dumb question, but I've never had my playfield looking like that. That is, I lift it up on its rails, but this looks like it is essentially completely out of the cabinet. How the heck you do that? Isn't it heavy as sin?

Maybe i should explain better. You slide it up to first position - so it clicks ready to be tipped back and the metal is balance on the lockbar. Instead of tipping back to rest on the backbox. Just grab the playfield underneath at the rear - just use fingers and avoid any wiring etc. Then you can lift it up and right up carefully balancing on the front lockbar. It's not too bad weight wise once you have it just above level as it balances itself.

We tried sliding forwards, installing part of the decals, then tipping back to rest on backbox and installing the rest but it is so much easier this way if you can get someone to hold it while you install. I think it is only way to do it actually because you don't want to be lifting and lowering playfield until they are fully stuck down.

#76 10 years ago

I guess you could remove them but then there would be a big hole between back and sides I think. I presume Stern put them on to close the gap in the corners. They looked to be glued and screwed also so it might cause more damage taking them off.

#87 10 years ago
Quoted from jardine:

How is the adhesion to the cabinet? Not applying these before would it benefit from a light sand to ensure adhesion or is this not necessary?

No need to sand cabinet. They stick well. In fact the glue is perfect as it allows some repositioning/peel back before a good firm press down. Even then they come off again without too much trouble and don't seem to leave any residue. I've stuck about 8 sets on my TSPP with all the alignment checks and messing about without issue.

I guess you could sand the cabinet sides lightly before as there are little imperfections that come from factory or maybe your machine has suffered some cabinet damage during its life. It is worth checking because my machine was virtually nib when I got it and hadn't been out on site so cabinet was perfect.

#101 10 years ago

These are not the same although the images do look very similar in places as elements are based on stock web art you can find on google. Instead of trying to use low resolution stock art and patch it all together, blow it up in photoshop and print out, I decided everything had to be drawn and coloured by hand from scratch at the correct resolution for printing. It was a huge task to get them right so they look like part of the game and actually match the quality of the art already there. Stern did a fabulous job in my opinion on the playfield and layout.

I don't want to step on anyones toes, especially Pinball Decals because they do some good stuff and the service is excellent, but I think folks will appreciate the quality, detail and effort that went into these.

#111 10 years ago

Coming back from printers mid week - just doing labels now. So will start sending out end of next all being well.
There are going to be a couple of sets spare if anybody missed out and wants some.

On a side note, I just beat my highscore after a lousy week of scores. Was on ball 3 and thought it was gonna be another disappoint and then it all just fell together. I'm determined to lock 5 balls one day and vanquish those pesky aliens. Run, he's got a board with a nail in it..... That line never gets old. Might have to make a decal just for that somewhere.

1 week later
#119 10 years ago

Just completed some backboard decals thanks to ideas and suggestions pinsiders made. Pretty pleased how they turned out and the difference it has made to the machine. That's what great about pinside - all the fabulous ideas pinballers come up with.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tspp-simpsons-pinball-party-backboard-decals#post-1256967

#121 10 years ago

Some have gone but I can check or work something out. I know some people are just happy with the sides and not bothered about the back but I'll see what I can do if anyone wants to do the same as me.

#129 10 years ago

Love to see some pics when you do install.

#131 10 years ago

Have sent pm - sorry I missed you.

#139 10 years ago

I'm glad some have already received theirs and if you haven't don't panic. I had a slight issue waiting for postal tubes from a company on ebay that forgot to send them out which has caused a delay but it's all been sorted now.

#153 10 years ago

They are designed to go around the wood so I wouldn't remove them. In this thread there are some installation pics that should help.

#159 10 years ago

You shouldn't need to remove the blocks at all and they will look better if you fit them around as it will prevent gaps. If you get them installed around blocks of wood first and then work down.

Get in touch jimb if you need a replacement and I'll sort something out - I have a set of seconds that's out at the bottom but it shouldn't matter because the area will be below play field. I'll sort something out anyway as hate to think of your machine without now.

That's a great idea using wood elf man. Better not let the wife see that or she'll make me fit them myself

#161 10 years ago

It won't go right down to the front because of the flipper electronics, buttons etc and it was proving difficult trying to cut it out around them and align everything. While there shouldn't be any variances between machines I decided it was not worth the risk. So You have to install from the back to the front and they should finish about an inch from where the bolts are at the front

1 week later
#182 10 years ago

Thanks for all the great photos guys. Love the aliens and car mod - what a great idea.

#186 10 years ago

There should have been a white plastic cap on that! Fancy them opening them and not putting it back up. Customs for you.

#192 10 years ago

Anybody wanting some Just pm me and I'll do my best. I currently have 1 set left.

#195 10 years ago

Those are pretty amazing joe. What a great idea for the mini play field. Now I want a family guy just to put those decals on! That's how it should have come from the factory.

1 week later
#201 10 years ago

Some great install pics. Well done to all and thanks for sharing them.

#205 10 years ago

Hasn't family guy been done? I would like to own that machine so if I get one I will do decals for it. Seems to be quite a rare machine around these parts.

Currently doing them for my MB, so that will be the next to show.

PM me and I'll do my best if you missed out on TSPP.

1 month later
#212 10 years ago

Once they are stuck heat shouldn't be a problem but dang that is hot! I would think humidity would be more of a problem. They adhesive is commercial quality used in signs so it should withstand a good deal of abuse. I would try to install in a cool spot - maybe at night when it is cooler and less humid? Once they are stuck they should be sealed though so I can't see this being a problem.

MB will be ready this week - just fitted first prototype and adjusting colours to get the max now. Had to stop to play a few games though

#214 10 years ago

Yeah for sure. Acutally it seems easier as there is a bit of play between sides of playfield - well on mine at least. So you can angle it up and push to one side while you fit. Just gives you enough to slide them in and adjust. Would be interesting to see if others are like this.

#215 10 years ago
Quoted from domijr:

These decals are great, so happy i purchased them Very easy to install.

Looking good with those mods. I like the bus and the duff flasher. Really sets it all off.

#221 10 years ago

I haven't had that happen on mine but we don't experience the extremes of temps over here. You could always use a bit of spot glue on any points should this happen. It also worth checking the cabinet sides are very clean and dust free when installing. Maybe a wipe down with a damp cloth, let it dry and then fit. It's amazing what dust accumulates in a cabinet even though it looks clean.

#227 10 years ago

I think Cheesewhisper is the best advice. That should be enough prep work to get a good install. Main thing is to make sure sides are clean and dry.

1 week later
#228 10 years ago

Yeah I think Addams family would be good. I'd have to rewatch the films - hes quite the lady killer - Gomez replies "acquitted". Some good humour in them from memory.

Had a few spare run off with mb due to interest if anybody wants them.

#233 10 years ago

Yes the installation example on page 2 should give help to those wondering what to do with the blocks of wood stern put in. I didn't want to remove them otherwise it would have left a bit of a gap at back. So the decals are designed to be stuck around and then cut along bottom.

Sorry for not spotting your question earlier but thanks to domijr for coming to the rescue

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
1 month later
#238 10 years ago

If stuck correctly they should be quite tough to pull off but I wonder if there was some dust or maybe something on the cabinet sides that prevented them getting a good grip. Mine have been on for months without any signs of peeling so I'm guessing something's prevented proper grip. You should be able to use some semi permanent glue to stick the corner back on - just done use super glue or anything too tough.

#242 10 years ago

Thanks guys. Rubbing alcohol is a good idea. Dust is the enemy so it s important to get them clean and smooth for the ultimate finish.

Got the final proof back for the speaker panel and really pleased with it so will be updating that thread soon and emailing folks who said they were interested.

1 week later
#244 10 years ago

Finished. Got them back yesterday and updated thread. I will be emailing folks soon who expressed interest. Also have some side decals due to over ordering on my part if anybody still wants them.

3 weeks later
#248 9 years ago

Thanks Reg. That's very kind of you to take time to post.

#252 9 years ago

Yes guys - all gone out now. Apologies for the delay but the printers had an issue with their laminator so it took longer than usual. They've all gone out on express service anyway - the quickest one we have over here so it's just down to customs now - hopefully they will sail through!

1 week later
#258 9 years ago

Click on my pinside and then look for pinsidemail. If you also hove your mouse over anyones pic/avatar it brings up a PM link - private message

1 week later
#263 9 years ago

It is odd as mine has plenty of room for the decal. Is it possible to adjust ramp - just thinking it might be like on star trek were you can loosen screws and move it slightly?

1 week later
#269 9 years ago
Quoted from domijr:

Quick lil video i made, I love the decals, thanks so much for making these sillyoldelf.
» YouTube video

It's great to see folks getting lots of enjoyment out of them and thanks for the awesome vid domijr. That really shows them off well and what a beauty of a machine.

2 weeks later
#270 9 years ago

Let me know if you need a replacement - I have some spares just for this. I don't know why they don't fix playfields so they can't move about from side to side when lifting as even without decals it is possible to scratch the black sides of the cabinet if you are not careful.

1 week later
#272 9 years ago

Yeah VUKs are a problem - had to replace both of mine even though it probably had only a 100 plays or so on it from when I got it. Not had any trouble since though.

2 months later
#280 9 years ago

Yes I have some spare if anybody still wants some.

Spray adhesive is a good idea. The key I have found is to make sure sides are clean and dust free as the adhesive should stick well on it's own but like anything it needs a good surface to stick too. I would only use the adhesive on the corners if needed and make sure it does allow you to peel back off - don't want anything too permanent glue wise.

1 month later
#282 9 years ago

Lovely to meet you guys. I got a fantastic Tiny Pin model of TSPP with working sounds and lights in exchange

3 months later
#287 9 years ago

Thanks for the feedback Jeffs. I didn't extend them past the apron because of the flipper, screws, wires etc around that location. There is so little room there when I tried it, it made them fiddly to cut/stick and instead of machine cutting they would have had to be done by hand which would have increased the cost. For the artwork space there and the details that could be fitted, I decided it was best to just take it up as far as possible to the apron so they could be precisely machine cut (hand cutting never looks as good).

I'm not sure what the gap is in pink colour. Could you post a pic up?

#289 9 years ago

I can see from the vid you are very adept at modding so a couple of solutions come to mind. I guess you could print some solid colours on photo paper - maybe semi matt and stick them on so they butt up to the others if you do not like the finish as they are. Or maybe cutt the decals back a bit so the line up with the start of the apron so that the area around the apron is all black. This would leave the artwork just matching up with the playfield.

I will try to revisit this in the future when I have finished current projects to see if I can offer a better solution for you if these are no good.

Regards the gap - I think you are referring to the gap between the backboard and cabinet sides - were the two sides of wood meet. I might be wrong but this is the natural space Stern provided so that the playfield slides in and out and there isn't anything to actually stick on this. If you curved the stickers around so they stuck on the backboard and bridged the gap, you would not be able to take out the playfield without ruining the stickers? On some machines this is quite tight so the gap is fairly flush but on the Simpsons it seems it is more pronounced due to how they designed it.

It's a beautiful looking Simpsons Jeffs - love the mods you have put on it. I haven't seen the school bus mod before and it looks fantastic with the lights. Did you make this?

#293 9 years ago

Thanks Domijr for the pics - they clear it up beautifully for me. Apologies for the mistake on the video but you have a beautiful TSPP machine

Getting the TSPP decals to fit reasonably with the artwork and oddities on the backboard area was a bit of a pain - why does it have blocks of wood sticking out? You don't want to know how many decals I burned up fiddling with the positioning of artwork and cuts I tried to keep them as peel and stick as much as possible as I imagined not everyone would want to start fiddling with lots of cutting. So yes it is not perfect but hopefully the overall effect is still pleasing.

3 weeks later
#301 9 years ago

Some sets finally arrived from the printers today after a long wait while they had their machines fixed. So speaker panels and sides will be going out tomorrow for those that pre-ordered. There are a couple outstanding full sets but I have ordered plenty of spares now which should be ready towards the end of next week.

Apologies for the delays and thanks for everybody who has waited patiently to get them.

3 weeks later
#303 9 years ago

No mods to size - the decals finish just past apron so no cutting required as before. I'm going to try this on LOTR with a new template (either mirror blade style or cutting required to fit ). Don't worry Jeff, as soon as I have something new, I will let you know

I sent out another pink background sticker, so hopefully it has arrived.

#306 9 years ago

Ah it's my pleasure and thanks for all the ideas. I'm still fairly new to the pinball hobby but I'm amazed at the passion, knowledge, ideas and great mods out there, so I'm just glad I can contribute in a small way and give something back.

1 month later
#311 8 years ago

Thanks for pics guys. Look great

6 months later
#329 8 years ago

I have had a few requests for some more which I don't plan to do at this time but I have a few left - 8 full sets with speaker panel if anybody still wants them.
PM and I'll do my best to get some out to you.

1 month later
#339 8 years ago

Thanks guys. Some sets should be arriving soon so please be patient and I'll contact everyone who left me an email address via pm.

1 week later
#344 8 years ago

Yep I have a few spare now so feel free to pm me if you missed out before.

2 months later
#367 8 years ago

Sorry guys mother mother was recently diagnosed with cancer and I have not been able to get on pinside lately.

Someone kindly sent me a message saying folks would like some more sets, so please pm me and I will get some to you asap.
I do have some spare sets available.

1 month later
#373 7 years ago

The decals should be with you according to tracking weasel. Did they arrive safely?

#380 7 years ago

Glad to hear the decal arrived safely. Love the custom cover. I want one!
Going to have to ask the better half nicely

2 weeks later
1 month later
#385 7 years ago

Sorry pinballer73 i must have missed it. Pm your details again and I'll sort it.

#387 7 years ago

Next week Ric, I'll get a set on the way. Thanks

2 weeks later
#390 7 years ago

You are most welcome. Enjoy.

2 months later
#396 7 years ago

No problem. I have some sets available at the moment.

#398 7 years ago

I love that yellow apron. Is that powdered coated or a custom plastic one?

#400 7 years ago

Wow that is awesome. Thanks

#402 7 years ago

Yeah looks like a must have
Powdered coated my machine yellow and was thinking about getting a metal apron done but this looks so much nicer.

5 months later
#404 7 years ago

Cool. Give the speaker panel a go - you can always remove if it doesn't grow on you

3 months later
#407 6 years ago

Hey thanks for your order PinballBJB - they have been dispatched.

Regards your question Matt. Some people put them over the bolts, others cut round them (take out bolts, fit decals, cut hole for bolts in decal and refit).

I actually drilled my cabinet out a little with a wood spade bit so they the bolts sit flush and then the decals go over without trouble. It works really well.

2 weeks later
#409 6 years ago

Nice. Glad to see they finally got installed Enjoy it's a great game.

3 weeks later
#416 6 years ago

What a great idea. Thanks for sharing. Looks like a must have with or without decals

3 years later
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 45.95
$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

7,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY
$ 45.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,899 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 18.95
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 218.00
$ 16.00
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sillyoldelf.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tspp-simpsons-pinball-party-custom-side-board-decals?tu=sillyoldelf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.