TSPP - PI-SIM board - Anyone have this mod? Looking for feedback

By meSz

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Contemplating purchasing the PI-SIM board for my TSPP. Wanted to see if anyone has purchased one and what their feedback was???

For those not familiar with this mod here is the description from the site:
"The PI-SIM board is designed for Stern's ‘The Simpsons Pinball Party’. It has been built to allow the mini flipper bats of the upper playfield to be triggered when required only: when one or several balls have reached the upper playfield".

http://www.flippp.fr/pisim.php

#2 10 years ago

I read good things about this mod, at first there were a cpl people with issues, but that was issues with their machine and not the board itself. There's a long thread about it on pinballrevolution, i'd post the link, but the site doesn't seem to work right now.

#3 10 years ago

Thanks for the post domijr. I went on pinballrevolution and searched on PI-SIM with no returns. Will see if anyone else replies to this post.

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Thanks for the post domijr. I went on pinballrevolution and searched on PI-SIM with no returns. Will see if anyone else replies to this post.

Here ya go, it was a groupbuy ~~~> http://www.pinballrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=742

#5 10 years ago

I have this mod on my game , it makes the game a lot quieter , because the upper flippers are not always flipping away . and they have more power because they do not heat up because of always being on .

#6 10 years ago

That's a really cool mod. I had no idea this was available. But I can say that Pascal Janin is an awesome guy and totally brilliant. Everything he makes that I've tried (I've got several of his PI-1, PIX4s, PI-80s, pop bumper boards, sound boards, etc.) is amazing.

#7 10 years ago

If Pinside does a group buy, let me know - I'll get in on it. I might even be able to get him to do a special discount - he's been a big supporter of our group, the Mystic Krewe of the Silver Ball.

#8 10 years ago

Unfortunately I am finding out that this is only compatible with CPU 520-5136-16 and my machine has 520.5300-00 Rev A so appears this is not something I can use unless I purchase a new CPU. I sent Pascal and email asking him if he has further expanded the PI-SIM to work with other CPU versions.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Unfortunately I am finding out that this is only compatible with CPU 520-5136-16 and my machine has 520.5300-00 Rev A so appears this is not something I can use unless I purchase a new CPU. I sent Pascal and email asking him if he has further expanded the PI-SIM to work with other CPU versions.

is your game an early version ? if yes , then some of the pins do not line up ? you will be out by about a 1/4 inch between two connectors. what I did was slightly bend some pins to the right and some pins on another connector to the left , this allowed for the connectors to line up . I also emailed Pascal about this issue and he said he was not going to make a separate board for these games. maybe now he will .

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from luch:

is your game an early version ? if yes , then some of the pins do not line up ? you will be out by about a 1/4 inch between two connectors. what I did was slightly bend some pins to the right and some pins on another connector to the left , this allowed for the connectors to line up . I also emailed Pascal about this issue and he said he was not going to make a separate board for these games. maybe now he will .

Thanks for the info! I will see what Pascal comes back with as I hate to bend anything!!! My machines has a run date of June 21, 2004

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Thanks for the info! I will see what Pascal comes back with as I hate to bend anything!!! My machines has a run date of June 21, 2004

Uh...don't bend ANYTHING...just build yourself a little harness out of molex headers and pins?! It ain't that complicated!

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Uh...don't bend ANYTHING...just build yourself a little harness out of molex headers and pins?! It ain't that complicated!

Maybe not for a "Pinball Guru" like yourself but............ Seriously, thats for the input Frax as it's an option!

#13 10 years ago

thanks let me know what he says.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

but these boards line up with the nuclear reactors on the translate and purple lights flash with the pops , thru the translate and light up the stacks

#15 10 years ago

were talking about a couple millimeters .

#16 10 years ago

UPDATE: I sent an email to Pascal asking if his mod (PI SIM board http://www.flippp.fr/pisim.php) would work on other versions of the CPU and here is his response:

"there are 3 CPU revisions for your game (TSPP)

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Sega/Stern_White_Star_Repair

refer to chapter "3.1.1 CPU / Sound Board" :
- top right : 520-5136-16 Rev. E (Monopoly) => the one we currently have in our TSPP
- top left : 520-5136-16 Rev. D => same one with
additional logo "SEGA" instead of "STERN"
- bottm center : 520-5300-00 Rev. A (Lord of the Rings) => the newest of all 3 which causes trouble with CN5 farther from CN6

my PI-SIM board plugs into CPU 520-5136-16 Rev. E, and NOT on CPU
520-5300-00 Rev. A

we studied the cost to make a specific model for that CPU.
but a limited PCB batch would cost a fortune, and we don't have this CPU for trials.

a possible mod would be simple though: build "connectors extenders" for
CN5 CN6 and CN7, and bend them apart to fit that CPU's specific connectors spacing.

Pascal Janin"

5 years later
#17 4 years ago

Reaching into an old thread but i just ordered this board and am having issues with it. When i have a ball locked in the couch and i send another ball to the upper playfield my flippers get killed. Any idea how to fix this?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 18.95
$ 45.00
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Springfield, MO
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Gainesville, GA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

6,899 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sioux Falls, SD
$ 218.00
$ 45.95
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tspp-pi-sim-board-anyone-have-this-mod-looking-for-feedback and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.