(Topic ID: 139187)

TSPP Owners what is the best LED kit for inserts?

By meSz

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by emkay
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

congo_9.jpg
composite_small.jpg
Simpsons.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Looking to purchase LEDs for the inserts on TSPP and wanted to get input from those that have them! I love the Optiflux LEDs, had them in a RFM, but they're $230 for the 70 piece kit!!

#2 8 years ago

2-SMD Comet cool white! Not sure if Comet provides a kit, but count your inserts and add 10%. Most are 555s.

Also, I highly highly highly recommend Herg's LED OCD board for TSPP. You won't believe the difference. Best $$ you'll spend on TSPP.

#3 8 years ago

agree with the 2smd 2835s from Art. i use them everywhere.

great value.

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

2-SMD Comet cool white! Not sure if Comet provides a kit, but count your inserts and add 10%. Most are 555s.
Also, I highly highly highly recommend Herg's LED OCD board for TSPP. You won't believe the difference. Best $$ you'll spend on TSPP.

Good, so every insert is cool white? Are these non-ghosting

Also, with the OCD board, are these hard to install or hard to program? Does this take care of all ghosting issues and flicker?

I have Tron with a nice kit from PinballBulbs, but do you think OCD would make it look better?

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Also, with the OCD board, are these hard to install or hard to program? Does this take care of all ghosting issues and flicker?
I have Tron with a nice kit from PinballBulbs, but do you think OCD would make it look better?

I have a OCD boards in my Tron and TSPP and they are 100% worth it. You get the fading of incandescent with brightness of LEDs. The OCD board works better with regular LEDs too. So you can save a little not buying non ghosting bulbs.
I do have color matched LEDs in both of my games. Tron has Cointaker and TSPP has Comet both look great

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

LED OCD is amazing! I have zero computer skills. It's 100% plug & play... I have it on my Sterns and I used it with Williams as well. You are able to connect the board to a computer to mess with stuff, but I've never done that. Great out of the box.

LED OCD works best with regular LEDs, not the non ghosting variety. 2-SMD LEDs are bright and respond very well.

With inserts, I almost always use cool white except for green and red. Cool white works 95% of the time, regardless of game or color.

www.ledocd.com

#7 8 years ago

Add another endorsement for Comet bulbs. No need to spend over $200 on a kit that someone else put together.

I used the non-ghosting in my inserts and they work perfectly and I didn't need to buy a board.

#8 8 years ago

I'll add a third endorsement for Comet's 2 SMD 2835s. They are the perfect general use LED, and they work great with the LED OCD controller. I wouldn't recommend all cool white for the inserts, though. You should color match the reds, greens, blues, purples and oranges. I believe on TSPP I used "sunlight" under the yellow inserts. I also used "sunlight" for the GI on that game.

Here's a link to some photos of mine ...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tspp-owners-club-members-only/page/21#post-2642929

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I'll add a third endorsement for Comet's 2 SMD 2835s. They are the perfect general use LED, and they work great with the LED OCD controller. I wouldn't recommend all cool white for the inserts, though. You should color match the reds, greens, blues, purples and oranges. I believe on TSPP I used "sunlight" under the yellow inserts. I also used "sunlight" for the GI on that game.
Here's a link to some photos of mine ...
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tspp-owners-club-members-only/page/21#post-2642929

I tried to color match orange and it always comes out looking like shit. Greens and reds are good, blues are okay depending on the insert.

To me, cool white works most of the time. But I like really bright games, and most of my GI is cool white with very few colors.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

I tried to color match orange and it always comes out looking like shit.

When working with bulbs, like a 1 SMD 5050....the bulb offered in kits....Oranges and yellow are best lit with Warm White or some prefer Pink.
If one uses the brighter bulb, a Twin 2835, which is what Stern uses in their newest games from CT, you can color match yellow and Orange Inserts, with yellow and orange bulbs. I recommend frosted, and they come out "richer" in color.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

I tried to color match orange and it always comes out looking like shit.

Have you tried any of Art's newer orange LEDs? I agree that many of the older orange LEDs looked kind of crappy under orange inserts. The frosted orange 2835s I used for TSPP, however, look great. They give off a nice rich orange color.

Edit: Looks like the man himself beat me to it.

#12 8 years ago

Look, your bulbs suck and so do you!

I could be soured on bad experiences with orange because they just aren't bright enough. I want astronauts to see my games from orbit. I still need to order a few more bulbs from you, specifically purple for Kiss, so I'll give orange another chance.

#13 8 years ago

Use warm white under yellow, orange, and red.

Cool under white, green and blue.

Pink under pink.

Get an extra bright cool white for the Homer insert between the pops & the towers (colored towers look weird)

TSPP looks incredible if you follow this advice.

If you do GI, use cool white everywhere except under the orange ramps. Use warms in those spots.

Oh and put a powerful LED flasher in Homer's head! Looks awesome.

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

LED OCD works best with regular LEDs, not the non ghosting variety. 2-SMD LEDs are bright and respond very well.

But I have non ghosting bulbs, I don't want to change them again, will OCD be any good with the non-ghosting inserts?

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

But I have non ghosting bulbs, I don't want to change them again, will OCD be any good with the non-ghosting inserts?

Nope, you can leave them. LED OCD works *best* with regular LEDs, but you shouldn't have a problem with non ghosting.

#16 8 years ago

Oh, dont forget two Op_max in the cooling towers...They fill the entire tower with light, as opposed to just the bottom half.

Simpsons.jpgSimpsons.jpg

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Oh, dont forget two Op_max in the cooling towers...They fill the entire tower with light, as opposed to just the bottom half.
Simpsons.jpg

That looks awesome. Another few bulbs for my next order..

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Simpsons.jpg

Do you have a kit for TSPP or does one have to go in and order individually?

Thanks for all the replies!!!

#19 8 years ago

Sorry, not a specific kit. But the game can be done for around $100.

We have a starter kit with 150 bulbs, and a Master Kit with 250. The game holds a bit under 150 in total.
Either of these can be upgraded to 2835. I am working on that formal addition this weekend.

Basically, a Starter Kit of 150 bulbs is $99 with free shipping, and you may find you can finish this game, or need just a few extra.

http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/150-pack-starter.htm

or the Master kit, which can pretty much do 2 Sterns with 250 bulbs at $149 with Free shipping.

http://www.cometpinball.com/Master-Pinball-LED-Kit-p/250-pack-master-kit.htm

Some other thoughts are Ice Blue is nice on this game, and any additional strips etc, we have a new Product release in 2-3 weeks worth
seeing for adding all kinds of extras.

If you wish to do on your own, you could simply count your colors, choosing the colors you want for white.
Pop the playfield and only match the few 44/47 that may exist for inserts.
Everything else is 555. Your GI, keep it safe at 50-44/47.
With a pen and paper, and even a manual, I find it takes about 10 minutes to figure this out, and I add 1 or two extra per
color. This, along with Op-Max, spots, and flashers, should be around $100-$110.

If you need an exact Kit, James at Pinballbulbs, and of course Cointaker have premade kits, as well as NiftyLED.

Art

Heres a pic of the $99 kit used to completely convert a CSI and the 2835 in a Congo i did last week,

composite_small.jpgcomposite_small.jpg

congo_9.jpgcongo_9.jpg

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Simpsons.jpg

keep the opmaxs in the cooling towers white , Art ? or match the cooling towers colors.

#21 8 years ago

Any color you like! The most common have been Purple, Green, and White...

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Sorry, not a specific kit. But the game can be done for around $100.
We have a starter kit with 150 bulbs, and a Master Kit with 250. The game holds a bit under 150 in total.
Either of these can be upgraded to 2835. I am working on that formal addition this weekend.
Basically, a Starter Kit of 150 bulbs is $99 with free shipping, and you may find you can finish this game, or need just a few extra.
http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/150-pack-starter.htm
or the Master kit, which can pretty much do 2 Sterns with 250 bulbs at $149 with Free shipping.
http://www.cometpinball.com/Master-Pinball-LED-Kit-p/250-pack-master-kit.htm
Some other thoughts are Ice Blue is nice on this game, and any additional strips etc, we have a new Product release in 2-3 weeks worth
seeing for adding all kinds of extras.
If you wish to do on your own, you could simply count your colors, choosing the colors you want for white.
Pop the playfield and only match the few 44/47 that may exist for inserts.
Everything else is 555. Your GI, keep it safe at 50-44/47.
With a pen and paper, and even a manual, I find it takes about 10 minutes to figure this out, and I add 1 or two extra per
color. This, along with Op-Max, spots, and flashers, should be around $100-$110.
If you need an exact Kit, James at Pinballbulbs, and of course Cointaker have premade kits, as well as NiftyLED.
Art
Heres a pic of the $99 kit used to completely convert a CSI and the 2835 in a Congo i did last week,

composite_small.jpg congo_9.jpg

let us know when you update that.. I'll buy a master kit.

I'm doing Tspp and Potc what should I order? is that the 555?

Do you also sell OCD board?

#23 8 years ago

Will do, Ill post or PM you, but Ill finish this weekend.

For Stern Games, Its roughly 50 pieces of 44/47 for GI, and a few inserts, and roughly 100 pieces of 555.

While I do offer a Stern OCD Board, you might likely find it costing you less, directly from Herg at www.LEDOCD.com.

My role in these, is to help get them to overseas customers.
You can still order, though....but if you save a few dollars, and it helps Herg too, that may be best.

Art

#24 8 years ago

6 hours to code the bugger!

Master Kits now have Twin 2835, and in Sunlight! My recommendation for TSPP!

250 Twin 2835, Plus 2 Bonus strips, shipped free, for only $159!

Pretty close to be able to completing 2 Sterns, or all one needs to customize a Bally/Williams, with an average of over 80
bulbs for your next game!

http://www.cometpinball.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=250-Pack-Master-Kit

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

6 hours to code the bugger!
Master Kits now have Twin 2835, and in Sunlight! My recommendation for TSPP!
250 Twin 2835, Plus 2 Bonus strips, shipped free, for only $159!
Pretty close to be able to completing 2 Sterns, or all one needs to customize a Bally/Williams, with an average of over 80
bulbs for your next game!
http://www.cometpinball.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=250-Pack-Master-Kit

what about lens type? None, clear or frosted?

#26 8 years ago

I threw a list together with color matching etc..... I can add to your db Art so others can see??? Still need to order and see if I got it dead on....

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

what about lens type? None, clear or frosted?

Twin 2835 are there in clear or frosted....Did I miss something?

Quoted from Homer714:

I threw a list together with color matching etc..... I can add to your db Art so others can see??? Still need to order and see if I got it dead on....

I dont store a list, but you are welcome to share in this thread for everyone...Thanks.

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Twin 2835 are there in clear or frosted....Did I miss something?

just curious do you recommend clear or frosted?

#29 8 years ago

I prefer frosted everywhere....especially GI....if there are younger players, or people with sensitive eyes, their height and angle of play, could cause them to be looking directly into a diode that is lit....painful for some,
However, if you are OK with all New Sterns, they come with clear Twin 2835 in their games.....

Art

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I prefer frosted everywhere....especially GI....if there are younger players, or people with sensitive eyes, their height and angle of play, could cause them to be looking directly into a diode that is lit....painful for some,
However, if you are OK with all New Sterns, they come with clear Twin 2835 in their games.....
Art

yep, i tend to prefer the frosted 2835s in almost every scenario. i feel they give off a better light.

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from ledge:

yep, i tend to prefer the frosted 2835s in almost every scenario. i feel they give off a better light.

Me too, however, I still find them to be a bit too bright when directly exposed. In those cases, I will either use a dimmer frosted LED, or a flexible one that allows me to angle to light away from the player.

1 month later
#32 8 years ago

Just did my TSPP with Comet master kit, plus OCD board. I used some colored inserts, but swapped out the yellow for white frosted under the yellow inserts. Honestly white frosted would probably be as good for most inserts. I have so many bulbs left over I'm going to do POTC next.

Tspp looks f-en awesome with LEDs, looks like a new pin. Next up will be color DMD.

2 months later
#33 8 years ago

I'm most of the way through my TSPP, wish I had seen this thread earlier but I've been having a good time anyway so... Just have the rear ramps and upper playfield left to do and then I have a feeling an OCD board is imminent.

I ordered a handful of different bulbs to play with from PL and then a much bigger order from Comet, now this thing is coming together. The twin 2835 and the 2 SMD faceted from Comet have turned out to be the my favorites just about everywhere. I've played with the Purple Passion LEDs in the spots but mostly been using the Optix Maximus there. Very tempted to color match some of the inserts as the yellows in particular are almost lighter than I wanted.

The High Output COB Tri-Side 2.5W 12 Volt made a crazy replacement for the 905 flashers, they're almost too bright but the flash is astonishing. I was also pretty happy with the 8 SMD 906 flasher for the ones flush with the playfield (the two by the I&S hole and the one under Comic Book Guy) as they don't disperse light well from the sides.

Just wondering, how do y'all feel about the GIzmo board in TSPP? Worth the fitty bucks or should I just get the OCD and be happy?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

7,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 45.95
9,899 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Gainesville, GA
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
$ 45.00
$ 218.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tspp-owners-what-is-the-best-led-kit-for-inserts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.