(Topic ID: 50801)

The Simpsons Pinball Party (TSPP) Owners Club..... Members Only!!!

By kwiKimart

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 7,283 posts
  • 710 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 22 hours ago by sllerts
  • Topic is favorited by 331 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7854 (resized).jpeg
63C0A1C8-924E-4AA5-8A66-A3C65298F62E (resized).jpeg
Screenshot 2024-04-03 at 10.11.55 AM (resized).png
CD446378-C181-45FD-8BB1-987240C63FC1 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0390 Copy (resized).jpeg
IMG_0391 Copy (resized).jpeg
IMG_0393 Copy (resized).jpeg
IMG_0399 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5056 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6529 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6498 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6490 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6491 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6488 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6489 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240129_174034 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shbr20.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5024 3 years ago

Need some help please. I finally joined the club about a month ago and spent the weekend upgrading the CPU and Display ROM chips from 2.0 to 5.0, converting to LED's with an LED OCD board, installing NVRAM, installing cliffy's, etc. Now, when turning on the machine, I am not getting any sound or anything on the display. I've rechecked the connections but they all seem OK. I would appreciate any suggestions on where to focus next. I was careful to align the CPU and Display chips properly but there is a chance i messed that up somehow. Pictures below.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

TSPP1 (resized).jpgTSPP1 (resized).jpgTSPP2 (resized).jpgTSPP2 (resized).jpgTSPP3 (resized).jpgTSPP3 (resized).jpg
#5026 3 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

Are the chips all facing the correct way? I know the NVRAM can only be put in the correct way or else it will burn up.

Thanks finnflash. I was careful to check the old chips when removing but since this is the first time I’ve done this it is possibile. I’d prefer to exhaust other options before buying new chips and NVRAM in the event they are installed correctly (and burning up the new ones). Thanks again.

#5028 3 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Nvram is just memory, shouldn’t affect sound or display. Put the old Cpu and sound chips in to see if things work again.
Also, check that you seated those chips in properly and no legs are bent, easy to do that.
Did you remove any ribbon cables? Check those if you did.

Thanks lermods. Unfortunately I bent the old chips when removing them (rookie mistake!). Ribbon cables are good. I don’t think it could be the led ocd install as the lights are all working. I am thinking I must have installed the display chip backwards and fried it. Looks like I will be ordering a new one and testing it out. Thanks again.

#5030 3 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

All chips have a notch on 1 side and usually all chips on a PCB have this notch or dot pointing same direction. Can’t see it on your pictures if this is the case but easy to check for you.
[quoted image]

Thanks rensh. The pictures are very helpful - I will make sure the notches and/or dots lineup correctly when I put in the new chips. Assuming this is the problem, hearing doh frenzy again will make me forget about this mistake.

#5037 3 years ago
Quoted from CEC_DFW:

I'm still hoping someone can help with my post #5015 with a picture of the wiring.
Thanks

Thanks to everyone for help with my issue. I am waiting on the new chips and will re-read all the advice 2x before proceeding.

MG7322 - here are pictures of mine. The wire on the upper playfield is running inside the first hex post and outside the second hex post. From there it goes past the thumb screw and then tucks back under the upper playfield. Be careful not to block the VUK when tucking back under the upper playfield. I noticed that when I was putting mine back on.

8568D6AD-0669-4520-9740-877B0D3261B1 (resized).jpeg8568D6AD-0669-4520-9740-877B0D3261B1 (resized).jpegC60BA811-9F8E-44D2-B7D8-E7C8E3CCA37B (resized).jpegC60BA811-9F8E-44D2-B7D8-E7C8E3CCA37B (resized).jpeg
#5042 3 years ago
Quoted from CEC_DFW:

Thank you for the detail. I will see if I can get mine to lay properly. I cant tell if the wires should go out the blue back panel or through the main playfield (hole). my issue is the wires are laying on the orange ramp under the mini playfield and it wont seat all the way down (thumb screw wont tighten since the mini pf is raise).
Thanks again

Happy to help. Mine go through the main playfield.

#5046 3 years ago
Quoted from SHBR20:

Need some help please. I finally joined the club about a month ago and spent the weekend upgrading the CPU and Display ROM chips from 2.0 to 5.0, converting to LED's with an LED OCD board, installing NVRAM, installing cliffy's, etc. Now, when turning on the machine, I am not getting any sound or anything on the display. I've rechecked the connections but they all seem OK. I would appreciate any suggestions on where to focus next. I was careful to align the CPU and Display chips properly but there is a chance i messed that up somehow. Pictures below.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Got my new chips today and installed them based on all the advice. Was super careful. Unfortunately I am still having the same issues - no sound or display. All connections rechecked and seated properly. Except the below - does anyone know where those connect? If that doesn’t solve it does anyone know a good tech in Somerset County, NJ area? Thanks

32E156E5-4033-4422-830F-F1DFEAFE4979 (resized).jpeg32E156E5-4033-4422-830F-F1DFEAFE4979 (resized).jpeg654B93FC-78C6-47F8-AE6C-CB7B7C56163A (resized).jpeg654B93FC-78C6-47F8-AE6C-CB7B7C56163A (resized).jpeg
#5048 3 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Can you show pics of your full driver/cpu board?
Paul drabek is up in your area I think and does repairs.

Here are pictures of the boards - thanks and thanks for the info on Paul

07554740-E7B8-4D0C-B054-6E1EF6F20165 (resized).jpeg07554740-E7B8-4D0C-B054-6E1EF6F20165 (resized).jpegEB90D0F2-AB09-47E0-A206-CED8F8C79BD2 (resized).jpegEB90D0F2-AB09-47E0-A206-CED8F8C79BD2 (resized).jpeg
#5051 3 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

Is this chip in correctly?
[quoted image]

I am pretty sure, although it looks odd now that I look at it. I didn’t touch that one and machine was working fine before I replaced chips etc.

#5053 3 years ago
Quoted from SHBR20:

I am pretty sure, although it looks odd now that I look at it. I didn’t touch that one and machine was working fine before I replaced chips etc.

Just wanted to close the loop on this in case anyone has a similar problem. Turns out fuses at F1 for high voltage display and F23 for logic were both blown. Replaced those (and checked all others while I was in there) and everything is working again. Just need to get it back in place, level it and put the glass back on. Many thanks to everyone for their help. Much appreciated.

1 week later
#5067 3 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyGee:

Hi everyone! I just wanted to say that I’m finally apart of the club! Also this is my first Pin!! Just picked it up afee days ago. Super excited can’t wait to start moding!
P.S. anyone know where I can get the duff man and duff beer mods? Also looking for the blade art Design that has the Springfield sign.
Any order suggestions would be appreciated! [quoted image][quoted image]

Congrats and welcome to the club.
I am a new owner too and love it.
Here are some things to consider in no particular order:
NVRAM
Extra VUK’s for ball to UPF
Update CPU and Display ROM to 5.0
Add cliffy’s to protect ramps
Add pinbits to protect I&S hole
Add plastic protectors (indypinhead sells them)
Add couch weld fix
LED’s
Color DMD

There are also a ton of mods to choose from.
Enjoy!

#5070 3 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

What is that mod ? I've never heard of it.

All of the playfield mods - Kwik e mart sign, I&S tv, treehouse lamp cover, in rod we trust (last 3 made by a pinside member I am pretty sure), CBG t-shirt sticker???, donut shooter rod, and bunch more I am forgetting. All depends on personal preference.

Quoted from toastbot:

+ relocate right ramp gate to behind Moe's sign

Definitely!

1 week later
#5100 3 years ago
Quoted from Spacemanratso09:

I want to install a color dmd in my game
The game is at 4.0 I guess I need 5?
Thanks

Welcome to the club.
Pretty sure you need 5.0 - the colordmd website will have the requirements. I installed the colordmd in mine recently and love it.

To answer your earlier questions, here are some suggestions:

1. If your game has regular batteries, install the NVRAM. Not worth the chance of ruining your boards with battery acid damage.

2. Consider installing cliffy’s. I put them in mine (except the shooter lane - see below) recently as a precaution. Replacement ramps are reportedly hard to find and/or expensive. But, as Lermods noted, these may not be needed in a HUO environment, except the shooter lane. I didn’t install in my shooter lane yet because I couldn’t get the apron off. That is on my list after a trip to the local hardware store. Also consider protecting the Itchy and Scratchy hole with a clear plastic protector - I got mine from pinbits here on the forum.

3. Consider the couch weld fix. I had no issues but put in as a precaution anyway.

4. Consider putting in playfield plastic protectors. I got mine from indypinhead here on pinside and they fit perfectly. I put these in as a precaution as well - my plastics were all original and I didn’t want to take the chance of breaking one. I think the replacement plastics are hard to find and/or expensive.

5. Probably should buy a few extra VUK forks. See post 5071 above.

There are a ton of mods you can add as well - depending on you preferences - such as Moe’s Tavern, duff beer can, kwik e mart sign (lermods sells them), donut shooter rod, side art, speaker box decals, itchy and scratchy tv (sparky here on the forum sells them along with other mods - the tv is on my buy list), and a bunch of others I am sure I am forgetting.

Enjoy!

1 week later
#5146 3 years ago
Quoted from Spacemanratso09:

Was wondering is anyone knows where I can purchase the hole protector for I&S
Thanks!

Got mine from pinbits. If I remember correctly they come in clear plastic (what I have) or metal. I think cliffY carries them sometimes as well.

1 month later
#5223 3 years ago
Quoted from Gogojohnnyquack:

You're welcome! Now, my turn to ask a few questions... I just added a TSPP to my collection and have found two things to address so far:
1) There is a screw/washer in the Bus Tour loop near the end, is this supposed to be here?
[quoted image]
2) The TV works fine until the GI dims, when it gets screwy. As soon as the GI comes back on it's fine again. I have reseated the connectors but no change. Any advice? Here is a video:

Mine has the screw/washer. Sorry but I am not sure on question 2.

1 month later
#5280 3 years ago
Quoted from Dreadreaper:

New owner and noticed that fuse F20 is missing on my backbox. Couldn't find any info about it online. Is it supposed to be missing? Everything works fine...

Per the manual, F20 is not used (although my machine has a fuse there). Sorry for the upside down picture I am on my phone and it won’t rotate.

F7EDA3B6-3E1D-49AF-90B4-F42EB900C20E (resized).jpegF7EDA3B6-3E1D-49AF-90B4-F42EB900C20E (resized).jpeg
1 month later
#5348 3 years ago
Quoted from brainmegaphone:

Correct - 6264 version. Plug and play - no soldering. You remove one chip and replace it with the NVRAM. The only thing that can go wrong is you can bend a pin (if you do bend it back carefully). Ideally use a chip puller to pull the chip (they cost a few dollars) or you can use a small flathead screwdriver carefully.
https://www.pinitech.com/product_images/ram_locations/ramloc_whitestar.jpg
Photo above shows you what chip you swap.

Also make sure you put the NVRAM chip in the correct direction. Take a look around post 5029 (Plus minus 10 posts) for some guidance. The group was great in helping me out there.

1 month later
#5448 3 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Check your connections in the back box, reseat the ribbon cables. Any fuses out?

Agree with Lermods. I had a similar problem about 6 months ago when I versioned up my roms, and added led’s with ocd board and nvram. It turns out the fuses at F1 for the high voltage display and f23 for the logic were both blown. There is a thread on the tech forum I started with some good advice and pictures.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 218.00
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 45.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pearl River, NY
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Gainesville, GA
$ 16.00
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 45.00
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MA
$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shbr20.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tspp-owners-club-members-only?tu=shbr20 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.